Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting this from SAD. Normally I'm more of a macro and still-life shooter but I happened to do a portraiture photoshoot with a friend and here's one of the shots from it, a cliche thin DOF "eyes sharp, ears blur" photo:

Eyes Wide Open by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from SAD. Shot a studio portrait for this girl who is a DJ in her spare time.

Kendra by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

xenilk posted:

I think it's pretty cool, I'd like to know why did you frame her at the wrist? Seems unconventionnal
Yeah I know it's a sin to chop people off at the wrists or ankles so I can only say I failed at framing her properly :(

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

McMadCow posted:

Awkward limb-chopping is something I usually harp on, but in this case it's secondary to how tightly crammed-in she feels in the frame. Even her pose conveys being squished into a box.
Too tightly cropped? How much space do you think I should give on the sides?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thanks for all the advice! There is actually some extra space to play with so let me adjust the crop and put it up later to see how it looks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Clit Avoider posted:

I like the way you've managed to get the headphones in without making them distracting, and the lighting looks fine, but I have to question if you posed her at all or just let her do her own thing?
Yeah there's definitely a lot more improvement I can do for future portraits. For this shoot tho I just let her do her own thing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A bit of an experiment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

AceClown posted:

Finaly got my studio set up, friends daughter and her BFF came along for a test shoot.

I know it might seem a bit basic, but these are the shots that make the moneys!
It's all generally good but there's something off about the skin tones, like it's desaturated and and faintly yellow.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Was walking around with my camera when I saw this guy standing at his post so I decided to do an environmental portrait of him. Nice guy to chat with as well.

Valet by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mannequin posted:

One other critique: film has its disadvantages. Sometimes I would forget to cock the film advance lever on the Pentax and miss a shot, and had to ask her to go back and do it again. With digital I could have just kept her in focus the whole time and held the shutter button down and gotten 10 pictures out of it, all in focus. There was a bit of tracking her while maintaining manual focus at the same time, which presents some challenges. But we will have to see how all of that turns out.
I think it was probably your unfamiliarity with the Pentax because I'm sure you wouldn't forget it with the Hasselblad. I'm also looking forward to seeing your portraits!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Since I don't normally do portraiture, I decided to do a photoshoot for fun with a friend and I think these 2 turned out alright:

Pearlyn 8 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Pearlyn 11 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just a casual portrait of a friend

Ivan by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

2 casual portraits I shot of friends

The Photographer by alkanphel, on Flickr

Chii Fei 2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

^^ I like #1. Did you try it as a black and white?

Thanks, I haven't actually tried it as b&w since I used colour film for the photos but maybe I'll give the conversion a try and see how it turns out.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Meeting in a friend's studio + some remaining frames on a roll of Astia = headshots!

Jun by alkanphel, on Flickr

ABC by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mucking around outdoors at night with my friend's Olympus toy model.

Olympus Model 1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Trying a bit of high-key studio shooting

GPJK1 by alkanphel, on Flickr

GPJK2 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

somnambulist posted:

These are good :) I really like her expressions. The blue makeup is a weeee bit distracting, but it's not bad or anything, just a preference.

I was setting up a photo booth for a company mixer and I took these. I'm really happy with them. :)

amy2 by francography, on Flickr

amy1 by francography, on Flickr

Thanks! I love what you've shot also, but I prefer the 2nd one to the 1st one because the negative space in the 1st one just feels overwhelming.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Met up with a friend during lunch hour and snapped a photo of him.

Wei Li by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Took a headshot of a friend

Minghao by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

sw1gger posted:

Overall, it's not bad. But it's far from great. Few things: Why black and white? I feel it needs to be a bit more "dramatic" in the lighting to warrant the black and white treatment (usually reserved for more theatrical headshots) . That said, I really think the lighting is pretty cool. The bright side on our right helps define his head but I feel the area just about the (our) right eye down to the lower part of his cheek is a little darker than I'd have.

Secondly, it looks like you're shooting from below. I wouldn't recommend that for headshots (fashion, editorial, conceptual - fine, but not for headshots.)

Judging from the thing around his neck, this appears to be more of a corporate headshot than for anything entertainment related. I understand the importance of trying to be your own individual, but he should lose the earrings. At least for the photo. Keep it up!

Thanks for your critique! In all honesty it wasn't really planned as I met him while he was working at a retail shop so he stepped out for a smoke break and I decided to take his photo for fun. But I think I agree with you that that area under the right eye can be brighter slightly more. You're also spot-on that I took this from below because I was using a waist-level finder, and yeah it's not good at all for headshots.

Oh and the reason why I shot it in black and white was because I didn't bring any colour film that day.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

sw1gger posted:

What sort of Hasselbad are you shooting with?

Was shooting with a 500CM and 120/4 lens, on FP4+ film.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from the MF/LF thread.

My friend bought some LED panels so I decided to try and shoot a quick casual portrait of another friend who came over to his house as well. One thing about using LED panels with my Hassy is that you don't need to bother with a flash sync cable anymore, and you can see how the light will be right in the viewfinder, instead of having to test with another camera or Polaroid.

Alva by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Had a friend who joined me for supper so I took a quick portrait of him, using 1 small LED panel and a shoot-through umbrella.

Danny Santos by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Using the same lighting setup as this shot, I switched cameras and took this:

Danny Santos II by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Haha yeah good points both of you, I'll break out the reflector for the next few shots if I can find one. Or maybe I will just change the lighting setup for variation.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just something for fun

Blue Dress, Yellow Grill by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just having some fun

Don't Look Behind by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just mucking around again with a LED panel.

Adam by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

One of the high-key portraits I did, maybe I went too far with the high-key part.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Playing around with one light at a friend's home.

Adam by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Scumhead by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Went on a walk with friends, ended up taking some nonsense shots of them.

Scumback by alkanphel, on Flickr

Stonefish by alkanphel, on Flickr

Running Scum by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Head 5 by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Reading by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some casual portraits of friends.

The Girl Who Eats by alkanphel, on Flickr

Lao Hero by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Something generic

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Snapped a photo of my friend when we went out on a photowalk together

Gent by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

What are you implying with the :airquote: ?

I'm wondering about that too, since I go on photowalks with friends and not "friends".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

maxmars posted:

What background did you use on this? I like the ethereal feel.

Just an off-white wall of a building, several metres away.