Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Sorbus posted:

Carrying a sony 200-600mm around seems to gently caress up my neck even though I have a wide peak slide strap :butt:

Do you have the strap on the camera body or the tripod shoe?

Atlatl posted:

it's a great shot though so who cares, though I would probably give you poo poo if you like photoshopped out the fence or whatever because it's manmade

Ah that's the Nest Box that they hang out in - no fences photoshopped out. Photoshop was only for highpass sharpening on the faces/heads of each guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Slotducks posted:

Thank you!
I put more time into one of the shots I got and turned this out:

Used the holy trinity for this, Lightroom, Denoise, AND Photoshop

Just terrific, great stuff!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slotducks posted:

Thank you!

that's the good stuff

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Slotducks posted:

Do you have the strap on the camera body or the tripod shoe?

I have the peak design things attached to tripod shoe usually so the camera is on my right side horizontally when I am not shooting.

I have a feeling that the neck pain is more about remote work ergonomics and doomscrolling UA war from phone, still sucks when it affects photography.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Thank you!

Superb!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Eurasian coot by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Funny how different birds act now that they are full of hormones, usually coots are very shy and hide in reeds.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sorbus posted:

Eurasian coot by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Funny how different birds act now that they are full of hormones, usually coots are very shy and hide in reeds.

swiggity swooty

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Golden-crowned Kinglets are back!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

cool boids

Kookaburra portrait

Magpie calling at sunset

Couple of Gallahs..

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

toggle posted:

cool boids

Kookaburra portrait

Magpie calling at sunset

Couple of Gallahs..

Really love the first two in particular.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Gyuto Spotted towhee-6506 on Flickr

Gyuto Spotted towhee-6510 on Flickr

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I love towhees, those are some great shots 👍

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Oh yeah that's the good stuff

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I hate towhees they make the most grating sounds and they wake up real early. That second shot is real nice though.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some Australian Magpies

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Finally * got a decent Brown Creeper Shot

* I say finally, but I've been doing this for less than a year :/

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Finally * got a decent Brown Creeper Shot

* I say finally, but I've been doing this for less than a year :/

That's excellent, nice shot!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Saw an osprey today, he had some trouble at first as crow kept harassing and first fish he attacked was too big to carry but finally there was success :)

Crow harassing osprey by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Osprey by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

gently caress I want to get clear mobbing shots this year - it's so cool.

Fresh from last night - Finally got a perched Turkey Vulture

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

toggle posted:

cool boids

Kookaburra portrait

Magpie calling at sunset

Couple of Gallahs..

drat. How do you get so close?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
How new States are made

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Slotducks posted:

Thank you!

Posting the n'th praise for this, and well deserved! Can I ask the shutter speed?

Also catching up on a few months of thread, and doh! Missed back button focus chat. I submit my taste for inverse BBF... for those of us who almost never focus&recompose, but for when the occasion comes.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

drat. How do you get so close?

All of these were shot at 600mm, with no cropping.

The 1st one landed on the railing of my patio while I was BBQing. It’s actually a juvenile kookaburra but someone in the neighbourhood must of been feeding it since it was really tame around me. It was probably 1 metre away.. not sure what that is in feet. I didn’t feed it, but it watched my grilling very intently.

For the last 2, I stayed at a cabin with a bird seed feeder and these guys would always arrive for their 6am/4pm daily feedings. Kinda tame, but not. I could walk up to them about 2 metres away, any closer and they’d freak out.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah semi tamed wild birds are nice for shots, can feel a bit weird tho, I saw a lot of amazing Cuckoo photos (a rare sought after subject for UK birders) pop on Flickr etc in the last year or so and I was super amazed by the 1st one then started to be like "what am I doing wrong here" after the next 5/6 then I read this

https://allthingswildlife.co.uk/articles/wild-things/92-photographing-colin-the-cuckoo-at-thursley-common

Now I feel like no matter what Cuckoo shot I get it wont matter. There's a perch setup for him with viewing spots from the right angles with distant bokeh scenery etc etc. Basically a zoo creature at this point.

Note the author casually mentions baiting redstarts with mealworms etc etc. It all just rubs me a little wrong, I guess the upside is there's a lot of people getting invested in keeping the habitats going so a few semi tamed birds is no issue but I really wonder about circumstances of the shots I see now.

Whitethroat by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 1, 2022

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, I feel the same. There’s something about altering wild behaviours that I’m not a fan off. Plus its cheating to get those baited photos.

Captain Charisma
Nov 10, 2021
I went to an Audubon Bird Banding event on the Gulf Coast last week and managed to get a few good shots of migratory birds. Grateful for the opportunity, wish the relentless sprawl of human development hadn't completely altered local wildlife habitats. It's disheartening to see all these beautiful creatures that show up in lower numbers every year because they're being crowded out of an ecosystem.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

vessbot posted:

Posting the n'th praise for this, and well deserved! Can I ask the shutter speed?

Whoa! Thanks for the praise!

Here's the full details on the image

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 G1
1/4000 F/8.0 460mm ISO 2000
Edited with: Topaz Denoise, Lightroom, Photoshop

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hi thread, my name is dupersaurus and I've become a bird photographer. Along with setting up an automatic camera on my feeder, I've been renting lenses I might want to buy and taking pictures of birds with them

D5500, 18-300mm 3.8-5.6

A few months ago I rented the 200-500, for some reason under the idea that I could take it on a trip (also on the D5500)

Captain Charisma
Nov 10, 2021
welcome to the thread!! that 200-500 is a beast, I rented it myself last month and hoo boy

took me several seconds to realize that this is shot from behind and not a pic of Mike Wazowski in bird form. excellent shot

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Captain Charisma posted:

welcome to the thread!! that 200-500 is a beast, I rented it myself last month and hoo boy

took me several seconds to realize that this is shot from behind and not a pic of Mike Wazowski in bird form. excellent shot

It is truly the finest photograph I have ever taken

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Morning shower by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Wish I had more ISO than 200 but I like this one anyways.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Good stuff posted lately! Here's some of my recent shots:

Red Tailed Hawk

Bushtit looking for bugs

Tree Swallow in nest box

White Tailed Kite food handoff

Great Horned Owl, who looks very unhappy we crossed paths

Rufous Hummingbird on its way to fight an intruder in his space

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Shots from my porch from the first spring of covid. Going thru some old folders.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A few from my neighborhood last week.

bushtit baby soooo hungry-8877 on Flickr

Gyuto Redwood Townsends-8621 on Flickr

peekaboo crow-8790on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

toggle posted:

Yeah, I feel the same. There’s something about altering wild behaviours that I’m not a fan off. Plus its cheating to get those baited photos.

Baited photos follow. Of course, I feed these guys 5 days a week, not for photo purposes, but sometimes the lighting is nice and I shoot a few. I feel no guilt. Corvids are so loving smart, and I wear a yellow reflective vest while doing traffic control at my son's middle school, and when I put it on and get out of the car, same time every day, they come calling in the trees until I put some food out for them. "Hallo, Hallo, Hallo!!!"

Sun Bathed Crow by B. B., on Flickr

Evil Eye by B. B., on Flickr

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

vessbot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 6, 2022

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So little. So angry. :laugh:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008