Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Great bird shots 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Jerm324 posted:

I do, let me know which one specifically and I will post it.

You're so kind to share! The first one has me enthralled.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I just spent 2 mornings at my local Tree Swallow research station and the males have arrived and are duking it out for nest boxes. Not as dynamic as my shots last year (the barbed wire on the nest box didn't help much)

Bonus Killdeer:

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 11, 2023

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I love these birds.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Edit it was almost 7pm so it was pretty dark out. My setting were 1/1000, f11, ISO 6400. Guessing I should have lowered ISO and lengthened the exposure speed?

I assume you were at your widest aperture? What I tend to do with perched birds in low light like this is take multiple shots at progressively lower shutter speeds start at 1/1000 say then drop to 1/800 etc etc and then look at them later so see which combo of settings was the best.

Also those waxwings are absolutely lovely.

Female Kestrel by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 11, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

I assume you were at your widest aperture? What I tend to do with perched birds in low light like this is take multiple shots at progressively lower shutter speeds start at 1/1000 say then drop to 1/800 etc etc and then look at them later so see which combo of settings was the best.

There's a stupidly lazy way of doing this with Bracketing. It takes even the smallest amount of thought out of it. I've done it a few time, it's not too too bad.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Slotducks posted:

There's a stupidly lazy way of doing this with Bracketing. It takes even the smallest amount of thought out of it. I've done it a few time, it's not too too bad.

Can you set bracketing to keep the same exposure with auto ISO but lower shutter speed?

I thought it just under - right - over

Unless there some other bracketting options?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

Can you set bracketing to keep the same exposure with auto ISO but lower shutter speed?

I thought it just under - right - over

Unless there some other bracketting options?

Yeah I typically shoot manual with Auto ISO on so AE bracketing just alters the shutter speed for me.

Example that I just did in here

Manual Mode - Auto ISO ON (max 8000)
I set bracketing to 3 frames EV 1.0 apart:

Shot 1 - 1/100 ISO 360
Shot 2 - 1/200 ISO 360
Shot 3 - 1/50 ISO 360

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Slotducks posted:

Yeah I typically shoot manual with Auto ISO on so AE bracketing just alters the shutter speed for me.

Example that I just did in here

Manual Mode - Auto ISO ON (max 8000)
I set bracketing to 3 frames EV 1.0 apart:

Shot 1 - 1/100 ISO 360
Shot 2 - 1/200 ISO 360
Shot 3 - 1/50 ISO 360

But at the same aperture those are different exposures

You would want

1/100 ISO 400
1/200 ISO 800
1/400 ISO 1600

The idea being that you have options where you can see later whether you got lucky at the lower shutter speed with a better ISO, basically hedging your bets.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Ah I see where I got confused - I was interpreting it like you want to get progressively slower shutter speeds so the exposure gets brighter and hedge your bets that way. As the slower the shutter speed, the higher the chance of it becoming blurry. Instead of the other way around of getting the same exposure with different settings.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Slotducks posted:

Ah I see where I got confused - I was interpreting it like you want to get progressively slower shutter speeds so the exposure gets brighter and hedge your bets that way. As the slower the shutter speed, the higher the chance of it becoming blurry. Instead of the other way around of getting the same exposure with different settings.

Yeah the idea is that sometimes you can get away with lower shutter speeds on perched birds so you want to try it without losing the "sure bet" that has a worse ISO.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
I love this. This is a Eurasian Kestrel, yes?

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Full-Res Cedar Waxwing photos. Feel free to download for personal use, please do not share elsewhere, thanks!

https://jezyoung.com/images/1z3e0201f.jpg
https://jezyoung.com/images/1z3d0114.jpg

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Jerm324 posted:

I love this. This is a Eurasian Kestrel, yes?

Thanks, yeah we only have the one kestrel the OG Eurasian Old World European Kestrel, so we just call them kestrels

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Jerm324 posted:

Full-Res Cedar Waxwing photos. Feel free to download for personal use, please do not share elsewhere, thanks!

https://jezyoung.com/images/1z3e0201f.jpg
https://jezyoung.com/images/1z3d0114.jpg

bless and thanks again for sharing, these are really really great and i just love them so much!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I forgot to post these - the ear-full of Bohemian Waxwings in the Guelph Area spent lunch at some low hanging crab apple trees in a parking lot at the University

Not the greatest lighting conditions though :(

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Bohemian waxwings rule.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I test drove a couple of cameras this weekend, but didn't get a real good tele to go with them so had to settle with camping the feeder for a bit

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i love how female red-bellied woodpeckers look like they're bald.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Just a fluffy little sparrow hiding in a tree. :3:

(You'll have to forgive the ISO noise as it was late in the day and I was poking my lens into a tree)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Briones lark sparrow-7880 on Flickr

Gyuto borb song sparrow-7358 on Flickr

Gyuto Brown Creeper-7179 on Flickr

Female Phainopepla-7971 on Flickr

Gyuto Robin Portrait-7115 on Flickr

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

For every 200 shots of Tree Swallows I took in flight, there's one or two that actually come out looking alright

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Some birds in my front yard this morning.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That's wonderful.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I recently found out I live near a wildlife preserve with a pretty good bird population. Yesterday I saw a bald eagle, red wing blackbirds, wood ducks, and yellow dumped warblers. I have a Fuji X-T3 with the cheap XC 50-230 zoom. While it worked, I wish I had a bit more range, and always felt like I was fighting the camera/lens with autofocus. Should I upgrade to something like the 70-300 for $800, or 100-400 for $950, or would my money be better spent jumping to a different system?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Birds from my home office window.

IMG_3299-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2633-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2428-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Getting intimate with a summer visitor.

Wheatear Male by Aves Lux, on Flickr

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

frogbs posted:

I recently found out I live near a wildlife preserve with a pretty good bird population. Yesterday I saw a bald eagle, red wing blackbirds, wood ducks, and yellow dumped warblers. I have a Fuji X-T3 with the cheap XC 50-230 zoom. While it worked, I wish I had a bit more range, and always felt like I was fighting the camera/lens with autofocus. Should I upgrade to something like the 70-300 for $800, or 100-400 for $950, or would my money be better spent jumping to a different system?

I do most of my birding with a 210mm zoom. I'd like to upgrade but you can get really far with a small zoom. "Zoom with your feet" is a very cost effective solution: sneak up on them birds. If you've got the money to burn, go for a longer zoom, but learning to tread quietly and wait for good opportunities will result in better pictures with any lens.

As for fighting autofocus, my zoom lens is the one made for my camera and I fight it constantly. It loves to find a single twig and lock onto that rather than the bird I'm interested in. Read about how your camera's autofocus works: is it a problem due to a mismatch of body/lens or is your camera just bad/confusing it? Make sure you understand the various focus modes (my Sony has several). It could just take practice and research. Also, take my advice with a big grain of salt, I manually focus all my pictures because I am insane.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Manual focus'er here as well

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Eurasian Pendulous Penduline Tit

Edit: Wrong, the tit was me.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 30, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

RillAkBea posted:

Eurasian Pendulous Penduline Tit

That looks like a shrike to me, the bill is very shrike like, where was this taken?

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 30, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

That looks like a shrike to me, the bill is very shrike like, where was this taken?

Ooh, interesting, I got the name from a local bird guide based on the markings so I could very well be wrong. (Blinded by the promise of tit jokes)

This is southern Japan. I was shooting some river birds when I spied this weirdo watching me.

Edit: Same bird, different shot. Almost definitely a shrike, now that you mention it, which do live around here apparently wasn't in the guide I was looking at for some reason. Thanks!

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 30, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

RillAkBea posted:

Ooh, interesting, I got the name from a local bird guide based on the markings so I could very well be wrong. (Blinded by the promise of tit jokes)

This is southern Japan. I was shooting some river birds when I spied this weirdo watching me.

Edit: Same bird, different shot. Almost definitely a shrike, now that you mention it, which do live around here apparently wasn't in the guide I was looking at for some reason. Thanks!

Now I am looking up Japanese Shrikes, looks like Bull-headed Shrike.

Shrikes are cool birds.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Careful, they work on Beetlejuice rules. Three shrikes, you're out.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yay! Ospreys are back. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Gyuto Red-tailed hawk-8741 on Flickr

Gyuto Red-tailed hawk-8757 on Flickr