Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
I feel dumb as poo poo, doing this. But, I'm super loving happy. I've worked with animals, and done a ton of rescue work over the years, and I've gotten attached to a lot of dogs, but never have I really felt like a rescue was a dog that I should adopt.

My friends and family, and all of my co-workers(who all know this dog) are sick of hearing about this...but I'm in the process of moving, so I can have a place large enough for a large dog. Her name is Shiloh.

And, I want some nerds on the internet to see her, too, damnit.

She loves to go hiking, and aside from when she gets to play with other dogs, it is generally the only time she allows herself to really relax.

Shiloh has been with our program for more than a year, and came with a sister that looked much like her. They were ten months old, or so...and had been in the shelter system since they were 4 months old, with one short aborted adoption during that time. They were never socialized, possibly living in a basement for their first four months. After they came to us, her sister was much quicker to adapt, and open up.

I typically describe Shiloh as autistic, which while not accurate, is easy shorthand. For a very long time...she refused to make eye contact, take treats, or engage with humans at all. She simply shut down. It took months and months of long walks, excursions to the woods, and generally just chilling out with her. But, she's finally opened up, and shows much more confidence, if in her own quiet ways.

A family that came to visit Shiloh, ended up taking her sister home instead. It was a better fit, and a very happy day, but the wake up call that I needed, to decide to adopt her myself. Apologies for all the words...but, I've been working with animals for fifteen years, and I've never dealt with a dog quite like this, and am absurdly goddamned pleased that I was able to establish trust, and a bond with her. Have more pictures. Because picture thread.

She also loves rides. The day after I took her on her first hike, I was taking her on a more mundane walk at work, and stopped to get my sunglasses. She was like...gently caress that poo poo. Let's ride.. It was a big deal.

Miserable dogs at bathtime are adorable.

And, so I'm not doting on only the new dog...have another miserable dog at bathtime. Chiquito. She is very attached to the little shithead for some reason, just like me.(He's actually the best trained, smartest dog that I've ever had. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread