Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

rivals posted:

They think her mom is a Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull mix

Huh. What rescues tell people and what the dog actually is seems to always be two different things. ;)

I don't see any Pharaoh Hound in that dog at all, and I'd be extremely surprised if there was. Here's why:

First of all, Pharaohs are rare. Like, so rare that they're listed as 141 out of 154 dog breeds in terms of numbers registered with the AKC. That means that there is probably less than a thousand dogs registered in the US, which means that they're not something you'd find in just any backyard or as a feral dog and it's not likely that the owners of a Pharaoh would be breeding it with anything else; they're not a particularly popular dog breed and they're not very well known.

Secondly, mama looks like a good ol' pit to me. :3: Plenty of pits have ears that look like they'd belong to a rabbit or to a different breed entirely, and plenty of pits have that eye shape. That's just a pitty thing, and comes from the mixing of the various breeds to create the common backyard 'pit bull'.

Thirdly, pit mixes are really common in shelters, and shepherd/pit mixes are some of the most popular. Only one in six hundred pitbulls or mixes ever gets adopted. A lot of rescues try to beef up their adoption rates by claiming an exotic or unknown breed is part of the mix, hoping to lure in people who might otherwise turn their nose up at a pit bull mix. Sad, because pits are awesome dogs, but true.

Now, that doesn't mean your dog isn't special, or that the shelter/rescue was being evil and deliberately lying to you. I'm just saying; the chances are pretty slim to none that that mama dog had any Pharaoh in her, but chances are really ridiculously high of her being just a big-eared tan pit mix, given the state of most shelters in the US. ;)

quote:

Here is Eris a few days ago, her ears stand up more and more every day :)

These gorgeous stand up ears of hers probably have more to do with her possible Shepherd father than with any connection to a Pharaoh hound. She looks pretty Shepherd-y in the face, and it's likely that she wouldn't be brindled if her mother was part Pharaoh since they can only be red and that color would be dominant.

She's still incredibly cute, and just being a 'plain old' pit/shepherd mix doesn't make her any less special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laiinkyree
Mar 11, 2009

Oh boy!
I just looked up the Pharaoh Hound, and I can kinda see why they said it was a mix of that. The momma's most likely (99% sure) a pit mix and not Pharaoh, but I can see why they said that. She's adorable still!

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

rivals posted:

We adopted our new pup about two weeks ago from a rescue. The shelter and rescue say she's Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull/maybe German Shepherd. They think her mom is a Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull mix and they assume the father was a German Shepherd because a lot of the puppies looked like they were Shepherds though Eris doesn't that much.

AHAHAHHA, there's not a drop of pharaoh in that dog.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

huskyjackal posted:

They say she's a husky/Australian shepherd mix, but some people say she looks more Catahoula Leopard Dog than Aussie.. beats me, she's AWESOMEDOG for all I care.

She looks like husky/greyhound to me?

She is adorable at any rate. :3:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Captain Foxy posted:

A lot of rescues try to beef up their adoption rates by claiming an exotic or unknown breed is part of the mix, hoping to lure in people who might otherwise turn their nose up at a pit bull mix. Sad, because pits are awesome dogs, but true.

When I was working at the pound, if there was even a chance of a breed that has known issues being part of a mix, we'd put it on the listing. (Since it was the municipal pound, we didn't personally do fosters or keep dogs for very long - that was organized through our contacts and Animal Rescue League.) If it could possibly be part Basenji or border collie, we'd list it to prevent adopters from potentially getting in over their heads. If there was even a long-shot that the dog was part collie, we'd list it so that their vet would know to be careful about heartworm treatment. If the breed was a long-shot guess, though, we'd mention it to the adopter and give the above explanation. So, there's another motivation.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all that she doesn't have Pharaoh Hound in her given that it was likely a guess from a shelter volunteer or something. She's an absolutely great dog and we couldn't have asked for more. The only problem that seems to be shaping up is that socialization is going to be more difficult than expected but we'll figure it out.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Whispering Machines posted:

I think they might have the dna thingy that tells what he actually is, but I'm thinking maaaybe part duck tolling retriever? He's sort of got the markings and fluffy tail and head shape. His tail does curl up like a husky, which my friend thinks he has in him. If I find out for sure what he is, I'll let you guys know :) And he has crimped looking fur around his ears and butt :3:

Definitely not Toller, they're much smaller than that and very rare, particularly among people who would let an intact dog roam. Awesome dog though!

Monkey Hat
Jul 22, 2007

It's all the rage.
I'm a sucker for mutts, I wouldn't have it any other way. Best dogs ever.

When we moved into our first house, it felt so empty. A local rescue organization helped us out. We found this girl's picture & fell in love:

Click here for the full 609x407 image.

That's the closest we have to a puppy picture, though, she was two years old when we got her. Half Golden Retriever, half Australian Shepherd they said. We named her River. She's six now & going strong!

Also, the Tugboat pictures back a few pages back :3: Those really warmed my heart. They reminded me of my mother-in-law's big guy (he passed away about a year ago). This is Sherman, the strangest-looking dog I ever met. He was a German Shepherd, Basset mix & the gentlest, happiest dog ever:

Click here for the full 857x572 image.

He weighed about 90 pounds. He had the big barrel body of a German Shepherd...and the squatty legs of the Basset. If he laid down with his legs straight out, they didn't reach the end of his nose. They named him after the tank, because if he wanted to get through, nothing stood in his way!

He'd do anything for a belly rub:

Click here for the full 762x508 image.

My mother-in-law said he was so happy because everyone who saw him laughed & smiled, too :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Kallisti Applecore posted:

This is Sherman, the strangest-looking dog I ever met. He was a German Shepherd, Basset mix & the gentlest, happiest dog ever:

Click here for the full 857x572 image.

Click here for the full 762x508 image.

My mother-in-law said he was so happy because everyone who saw him laughed & smiled, too :)

You've posted him before. I remember because I remembered that I want to die with how loving cute that dog is. :3:

Seriously.

Lookit dat fukken dog.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Kallisti Applecore posted:

I'm a sucker for mutts, I wouldn't have it any other way. Best dogs ever.

When we moved into our first house, it felt so empty. A local rescue organization helped us out. We found this girl's picture & fell in love:

Click here for the full 609x407 image.

That's the closest we have to a puppy picture, though, she was two years old when we got her. Half Golden Retriever, half Australian Shepherd they said. We named her River. She's six now & going strong!

I know I've remarked on this before, but your dog could almost be my dog.

Seriously, she's got to have some Australian cattledog in her, with the pointy ears and the freckle feet.

Monkey Hat
Jul 22, 2007

It's all the rage.

Scary Ned posted:

I know I've remarked on this before, but your dog could almost be my dog.

Seriously, she's got to have some Australian cattledog in her, with the pointy ears and the freckle feet.

Oh, that face! Those ears are perfect :) Yeah, forgive an old lady with a bad memory, I remember posting them both a while back you saying something about that.

Her mix was just a guess by the rescue organization...River was taken from a man who called them & said "come get this dog or I'm going to shoot it, I'm going to prison tomorrow" so they didn't get a lot of information off of him. She certainly doesn't have the intelligence of a cattle dog (my mother-in-law has one, drat that dog is smart) but she does have some of that look. Her tongue is also part black, I'm not sure if that means something too.

Monkey Hat fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 15, 2009

Ghostship V
Dec 8, 2005

Someone dropped this guy off my house at my house and we've decided to keep him! He's freaking adorable and we know hes some kind of lab mix, any ideas?

YesBoyIceCream
Jun 13, 2006

No such thing as too much.
I needed to post pics of my mom's dalmation/lab mutt Petey because he's the most amazing dog I've ever met. Even when he was a puppy, he never barked or growled or jumped on anyone. Just so completely CHILL.

Click here for the full 385x603 image.

Did I mention he was spoiled rotten?

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

And for utter cuteness, him and my daughter as "puppies":

Click here for the full 604x394 image.

This is what they look like now:

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

BFF!

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Here are some new pics of Lilah (posted her on the front page). She just got spayed and lost like 4 of her baby teeth, she's growing up too fast!

stickin' mah tongue out

rraarrgghhhh

I'm cute

Here's a full-sized shot of her next to my cocker/poodle mix who's about 15lbs, Lilah weighed 9lbs at her vet visit.

Any further guesses on breed? Her legs shot up recently and got super long! I know this sounds kind of weird, but sometimes she looks very sighthoundy, with the long legs and way she stands/sits. Her ears are trying very hard to stand up but I'm not sure if they will make it! She does act very houndy in general, she's pretty quiet but if she DOES make a noise it'll be a howly-baroo kind of deal, and she sniffs like CRAZY when we go outside, to the point where I'll have to yell to get her attention OFF the scent so she can finally go pee. She also sticks her tail straight out and kind of poses when she's "on the hunt". It's very cute.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Wow, it's hard to believe she's even the same dog already!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Those ears crack me up!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Lilah is so adorable. I love her fur :3:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We just got Wilma on Wednesday. She's a rescue from Last Chance Animal Rescue. She is a very affectionate dog, about 1 year old. She is learning fast. I have no idea what type of dog she is - the rescue said she is an australian shepherd / spitz / husky mix.

Pix:

Sittin'

Face shot:

Booty shot, you can see how skinny she is, and my sprained ankle that I got falling down the stairs the morning after we got her:

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

muggins posted:

We just got Wilma on Wednesday. She's a rescue from Last Chance Animal Rescue. She is a very affectionate dog, about 1 year old. She is learning fast. I have no idea what type of dog she is - the rescue said she is an australian shepherd / spitz / husky mix.

She's adorable - You're not in TN, are you? I guess Last Chance is a pretty common name for an animal rescue, but just checking :) There is one right where I live.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

yawnie posted:

She's adorable - You're not in TN, are you? I guess Last Chance is a pretty common name for an animal rescue, but just checking :) There is one right where I live.

Nope we're in the Murder Mitten (MI)

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
I'm a scientist. My opinions are other people's facts.
An update on Duke: I decided that while I am perfectly happy to foster for a few weeks/month, I just don't have the life that is really conducive to keeping an energetic young dog.

He got to be the pet of the week, on the television and everything. He was adopted a couple of days later by a lovely family, who were perfectly happy to adopt a pibbly "lab mix". :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I just looked back in the thread to see him and he looks like a great pup, I'm sure he will be very happy with the new family and they will be with him.

Caffeine Samurai
May 22, 2005
I am Caffeine's bitch
This is Momo, my wife and I have no idea what she is besides the best dog ever.

Mooch and Earl
May 20, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
This is Smiler. Some kind of hound mix obviously. He has a brother at the same place my parents picked him up from named Maximillian. In the month I move back home I might pick up Max and reunite the two.

The place we adopted him from noticed that he "grins" when he is excited and thus he was named Smiler.

And here is Maximillian, see the resemblance?
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7302042

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

Caffeine Samurai posted:

In the first two pictures I see a Corgi and in the last one I see a Shepherd-ish dog. Definitely Corgi ears, so that's my best bet. She's cute :3:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Caffeine Samurai posted:

Looks like GSD and Beagle to me.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Caffeine Samurai posted:

Giant Bat mix.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Caffeine Samurai posted:

Wow she does have Corgi-ish ears, and they can have markings very much like that too. For an example, here's our Cardigan Corgi. Our girl is black and white, but they come in tri-color too.

Edit: I'm going to guess Corgi, Smooth Collie, maybe some GSD or other herding breed.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 2, 2009

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

anachrodragon posted:

Wow she does have Corgi-ish ears, and they can have markings very much like that too. For an example, here's our Cardigan Corgi. Our girl is black and white, but they come in tri-color too.

Edit: I'm going to guess Corgi, Smooth Collie, maybe some GSD or other herding breed.

I do not believe that is a mutt ITT :colbert:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I Love You! posted:

I do not believe that is a mutt ITT :colbert:

What are you talking about? She's obviously a Border Collie/Dachshund mix. :colbert:

(seriously, people have stopped me on the street and asked this)

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 2, 2009

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

anachrodragon posted:

What are you talking about? She's obviously a Border Collie/Dachshund mix. :colbert:

(seriously, people have stopped me on the street and asked this)

Her BC pattern and nose spots make me giggle every time, it's like someone slapped 'em down on the first dog they saw and just went, "ah gently caress it".

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I Love You! posted:

Her BC pattern and nose spots make me giggle every time, it's like someone slapped 'em down on the first dog they saw and just went, "ah gently caress it".

Haha. I have such :downs: pets. When we got her, my friends were like "You got ANOTHER weird mutant animal?"

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Generic brown dog, anyone?

German Shepherd... with what? A few times I've caught him pointing. I don't think he knew what he was doing. He will fetch some, but mostly just likes to RUN! He also sleeps a lot, though. He's 52 lbs. The fur around his neck has grown in really thick.

Anyone ever waste money on one of those DNA dog test things? I saw some talk earlier about it in this thread. I'm seriously considering it.. I HAVE TO KNOW!

Carebear fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 3, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Carebear posted:

German Shepherd... with what? A few times I've caught him pointing. I don't think he knew what he was doing. He will fetch some, but mostly just likes to RUN! He also sleeps a lot, though. He's 52 lbs. The fur around his neck has grown in really thick.

Anyone ever waste money on one of those DNA dog test things? I saw some talk earlier about it in this thread. I'm seriously considering it.. I HAVE TO KNOW!

Definitely pure grade-A brown dog. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some lab going on, maybe some kind of shepherd or collie too. Really though, he's probably a mix of a mix of a mix. If you look at the common and popular breeds in that size range, he's probably got a bit of each of them.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Carebear posted:

Thats some quality generic mutt. I prefer the term "American Domestic" to mutt, however.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Carebear posted:

I was going to too but I remember reading somewhere (don't remember where of course) that even if you send in dna from a known purebred dog you'll get all kinds of wild results.

pit-hole
Dec 24, 2003

This is Junior

When we adopted him he was a year old and we were told he was a Terrier/Chihuahua mix

He has the smallest paws we have ever seen and is shaped like a triangle, wide in front skinny in the back.

He is all white except for his ears which have black spots.

(this is the most recent picture of him, taken a couple of days ago)

His unofficial BDay is in January and we will be celebrating his 16th year with us which would make him about 17, he's an old mutt but you would never know it. People still mistake him for a puppy.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

This is Archie. He's a 13-month-old shepherd mix, possibly with chow or lab. What do y'all think?

He loves car rides.

His first time in the water, he was a bit :downs: He absolutely loves it now, though.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
We adopted this adorable girl about 2 months ago (a few months after we found a seemingly-purebred cairn terrier in the parking lot and gave her to a friend of ours. I made a thread about it on here a while back)

The ears and coloring are definitely cavalier king charles, but the rest? I don't know, maybe jack russell or something?

And yeah, pit-hole, I know what you mean about people mistaking dogs for puppies. People ask me all the time how big she'll be when she's full grown. :downs:

EDIT: I also want to state that she is the sweetest, most awesome dog ever.

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Photodump incoming.

My mutts bring all the dawgs to the yard...err...couch.

The following photos were taken early this summer (early july-ish)

They enjoy long walks at the park.

Meet Lilly; currently 6 mos. old - guessing lab x GSD x husky

Meet Morgan (sporting her summer haircut) currently 3 years old - guessing GSD x Beagle

Random lab friend wants to play at the local park.

Bonus water dogs ITT