Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Serella posted:

Haha, apparently the shelter had passed her off as a "Chihuahua/Rottie mix," but no one ever believed that. :downs: All I could imagine was a tiny dog on a stepstool going to town on a big ole girl dog who doesn't even notice.

There was a dog that came into the doggie daycare I worked at ages ago that was supposedly a rottie mix. I was all set for a big dog but when she showed up she couldn't have been more than 15 lbs. I changed her chart to Min Pin mix. I'm not sure why her owners believed that she was actually a rottie mix, its not like other dogs don't have those markings.

Major is also a "rottie mix".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

kinmik posted:

So cute! Looks more like a aussie/border collie mix (like this guy but pointier) but could be a brit mix. I wanna rub that fluff belly :3:

Tertiary Stresses you don't need plat, just upload them to imgur and post.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

She's so pretty :3: I think her coloration would be "blue roan" or basically white with a ton of black ticking.

I'd guess GSP mix too. GSPs are all liver (according to AKC standard) which is why she isn't the same color as them. Liver is recessive to black so if one of her parents was a liver GSP and the other was something black you would end up with a dog like Stella, as long as the other parent also carried white so the ticking could be expressed. The ticking is dominant so only one parent needed to be spotty. Another breed with heavy ticking on a piebald dog like that is ACDs but she doesn't look very cattle dog-ish to me.

I think the color genetics of white spotty mutts is really interesting, she reminds me of my frecklemutt but with more freckles/patches (his ear just got flipped, not cropped).

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I got one of those wisdom panel dog DNA tests from a relative and while I'm waiting for the comical results to return maybe people can take a stab at what dog conglomeration ended up with Major.

He was found wandering in a field in a very rural Ohio county. He is super sensitive, crazy about birds, loves tracking down and killing small mammals, remembers every location he has ever found anything exciting, and is terrified of guns. He is a total mush and clown to the people he loves but has gotten territorial (may just be his anxiety disorder) and has always been somewhat reactive towards other large dogs. He like to put his paws on everything and is a big pouncer. Is definitely more of a do-er than a thinker.

His tail appears to have been docked rather than being a natural bob. His coat is thick but smooth like a lab but with slight feathering on his butt/tail/belly. If he wasn't extreme white with ticking he would be red sable/fawn with a black mask. He is 28" at the shoulder and about 85 lbs.

At the various pounds he went through he was a lab/spaniel mix, a great pyr mix, and a english setter/rottie mix.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He is obviously a BYB Cŵn Annwfn. Always get your spectral hunting dogs from a breeder who does proper health testing!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

SuperTwo posted:

Now that Rosie has lost a little weight she actually has some visable butt feathering too, it was hiding in her chub! She also has feathering on that web of skin between leg and body.

I'm more and more convinced that Rosie is Border Collie/Staffy or BC/Pit.

Butt feathers are awesome :allears:

From some angles she looks kind of JRT-ish but I could believe BC/Pibble. So cute! I love her pretty purple collar.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Leodon posted:

I think I figured out half of my mystery shelter puppy, Lurch (see above). I noticed that he has webbed toes so looked up breeds with that trait and... German Wirehaired Pointer explains the webbed toes, merle double coat and general shape. He's definitely mixed with something else which will probably remain a mystery.

Lots of dogs have webbed feet. My parent's corgi does, my mutt who many think has lab in him does not. GWPs are another breed that is ticked, not merled even though they look similar. I think if your pup was a GWP he would be bigger and still think dapple doxie is a good bet.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major's results came in today and I am suitably entertained.

Yep, he's a St.Bernard/Cattle dog mix/mix. Well, he is big and ticked I guess. But what makes up the mix part? Let's take a look.

It all makes so much sense now. He and kiri's Psyche are similar because they are both American Eskimo dogs :downs: I can believe that he's some sort of boxer/spaniel/farm dog mutt so I guess I can't complain too much. I wasn't looking for pinpoint accuracy and all of the breeds listed are relatively believable if we go by what colors they have to carry to end up looking like Major.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

badmomrising posted:

This is so awesome, I might have Radar tested just for shits and giggles. Actually, I find the Clumber and Dogue de Bordeaux harder to believe than the St. Bernard/ACD part. It does explain Major's spots, size and tail, though! That courtship must have made for some fun spectating.

Yeah, there's no way he's a clumber but I can certainly see some sort of spaniel-y thing in him. Dogue is out of the question too but the molosser genes could be showing up from a Saint or Boxer. At first I thought ACD/Saint was kind of ridiculous but I've seen numerous Saints and saint-like mixes go through the shelter he came from and he does have some ACD-like tendencies. I just hope that he get's the ACD "work until you die" genes and not the Saint "get cancer at 6" genes (also that the Saint was the bitch, ouch).

vvv That test didn't have Am. Staff in it's database, the wisdom panel ones have Am. Staff and Staffy Bulls in theirs so might be more accurate vvvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 5, 2011

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

I've always been curious as to what Major was; he reminds me a lot of Bailey, who is some sort of muttley ACD farm dog. Naturally bob tailed and flop eared. Pretty solidly built too.

Yeah, Bailey's car issues reminded me a lot of Major when I first got him. SO triggered by movement that he didn't even seem to think about it before he lunged. Usually I think ACD first when I see freckle dogs but I guess I was just in denial about willingly bringing one in to my house :) I think we need some more Bailey pics so we can compare. For science.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

picklejars posted:

Yorkie's have short, stubby tails

The tail of the Yorkie is commonly docked and is actually fairly long when left intact. :science:

I wouldn't say its impossible that dog is just yorkie, given how terrible puppy mill stock can be but mixes are incredibly common and it's really hard to know for sure.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

picklejars posted:

Okay. Mine is a Yorkie Bichon mix (rescue). Are you saying someone cut her tail? :cry:

It's certainly possible. Someone docked my mutt's tail for no particular reason. Bichons have kind of short tails though so maybe she inherited that.

LeapFrog, your dogs are both super cute. I love the old spaniel-y hound-y face! Also eyebrow dogs are my favorite and you should give Poppy to me right now. I see maybe Aussie/Northern breed. She looks like a handful. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

LeapFrog posted:

Thanks, they sure are! Sure, you can take for a couple days, weeks, maybe months......because you're right about the handful thing lol. According to the people I got her from her mom was a Basset hound/Coonhound mix and her dad was a Lab/Husky mix, but many people have thought Aussie mix.

Huh, she really doesn't look hound-y at all to me. The colors are alright genetically (labs,huskies and many hounds can all carry tan points) although I might expect some white markings with that combination. Does she have a white chest or is that a diluted tan? The only weird part is that long hair is generally recessive so both parents would have to at least carry a long hair gene and hounds don't. Its so interesting to me to see how mixes of mixes turn out looking like other breeds.

Anyway, whatever she is she's 100% adorable.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

CapnAndy posted:

When my family rescued Reese a couple months ago, we were told she was a Corgi/Sheltie mix. This was a filthy loving lie. Here is Reese and her sister Mel:

And here is one just of her, which came out dark but you can see how she stands in it at least, her face and coloring is obvious from the first one:

That there is a cattle dog mix if I've ever seen one. She reminds me a lot of a dog from a different forum:

Whose DNA results were oh so helpful:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TVs Ian posted:

What is Quinn? Why do people keep asking if she is half husky?

She weighs about 35-40 lbs, very intelligent, stubborn, makes noises like she has a Balrog stuck in her throat when she plays or wants something, and has an uncanny way of looking at you like she knows your very souls contents.

Border collie/JRT something maybe? I really see no husky in her at all. The smudge on her face and the little triangle ears are adorable.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TVs Ian posted:

Her background is, she came to the rescue from a farm, with a bunch of other BC and BC mix type dogs from Buttfuck Nowhere, Ohio because all the dogs were starving to death and diseased. She had a litter of 9 puppies 3 weeks after coming in to the rescue who ranged from white/medium length or smooth coated w/black ticking to fully ticked smooths to long haired black and white or tricolor. So, we have kind of always assumed she was a BC + ? mixed farm mutt.

And now, I'm even more confused :D I don't really care, it's just fun to mull over, even though we'll never know for sure. All that really matters is she is a Good Dog.

Buttfuck, OH? White with ticking? You've got yourself a Mid-Ohio Spottihund, in the medium size. There are tons of them and I'm guessing most are ACD/BC/terrier/farmdog conglomerations. There have been at least 5 through the rescue I got Major from in the last year.

The thick hair and her coloration could come from husky, I just don't see a ton of husky in her other features. Her ears are sort of like dropped husky ears I guess. I don't see any lab really and she almost definitely couldn't be half pure lab because she's white and labs don't generally carry extreme white. She's vaguely lab shaped but most dogs are vaguely lab shaped when you get down to it. It's sort of the generic dog shape.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Captain Invictus, she has blue eyes? I can definitely see dobe but then there's something she reminds me of that I can't quite place. Doesn't seem like a mastiff of any sort at all.

Etheldreda welcome to the cattledog mix club. I see cattledog/corgi. Have fun with the biting and barking! She's adorable though :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a life less posted:

She looks to have ridiculous Shar Pei ears.

Definitely tiny Pei triangle ears. Maybe with some lab/pit something mixed in? Don't see any hound. How big is she and do you have any pictures of her standing?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Slugworth posted:

This is Abby (the larger one) and Dottie (the smaller one). Both are shelter rescues - Abby was described as a german shepherd/bluetick coonhound mix and Dottie was described as a hound/beagle mix. We're not sure either description is more than 50% right, but we think they're both pretty great dogs. Abby in particular gets a lot of compliments and attention when we're out and about

Abby definitely isn't a bluetick mix because she's not ticked at all and ticking is a dominant trait. The German Shepherd is pretty clear but maybe a treeing walker hound? She's got hound-y markings. Does she do the "baroooo" hound bellow?

Dottie looks less hound-y to me, especially since she doesn't have any white. Maybe shepherd/beagle/something? She has sort of a beagle-y face and shepherd colors but with something else in the mix.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

revmoo posted:

Just got this girl. Very good manners in the car or out downtown around other people and dogs and distractions. She was born Feb 18 but we just got her two days ago. No clue on breed. I got a couple clickers and she's been responding extremely well to them.

Any clue on the breed?

Australian shepherd and/or cattledog. She is super cute and I bet she's going to be a brilliant little spitfire :3:

Fortress of Pie posted:

I've had Walter since late January but I have no idea what to tell people when they ask what type of dog he is. The Humane Society had him listed as a French Bulldog/Pug, but clearly I don't see it. He's 5-6 months old in these pictures:

I definitely can see frenchie in those ears, but mixed with something with a face. Maybe chi or a little terrier or something.

Slugworth posted:

Just to be clear, is the hound bellow the horrible baying noise that beagles make, or is it more like a wookie noise? 'Cause Abby does a wookie noise that can be drawn out for a good 5-10 seconds long that is absolutely hysterical. 'Barooo' does sound like a decent representation of the noise, but she puts a lot more syllables in there

And good to have a more or less authoritative 'no' on the bluetick claim - We never could figure out what on earth made them guess that.

I meant the baying but the wookie noise is pretty common in hounds I've met and GSDs so who knows. Sounds awesome though.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mr Newsman posted:

Hey guys!

So my girlfriend and I adopted a dog from the local shelter here and I was looking to get some input as to what everyone thought he might be.

Shelter told us Alaskan Husky mix and going on that I'm thinking GSD. We take him hiking all of the time and people passing by on the trails ask constantly what he is (and then offer their own suggestions). My dad is convinced that some Coyote jumped his mom one Saturday evening.

This is exactly how he moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs9W3cUfY3E

and more importantly here are a bunch of images of him hanging about.

Let me know what you all think!
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#1
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#2
http://imgur.com/a/CiRWF#3

e: he's about 50 pounds now and around 2 years old.

I'd agree that he looks sort of like a racing bred Alaskan Husky mix, like a couple I've seen from here. Maybe mixed with something finer boned and with a pointier snoot. Alaskans look a lot different from Siberian Huskies and once they're mixed who knows what they'll look like.

This dog is half racing line husky but I don't think anyone would guess that if asked.

That video really confused me at first because I thought it was actually your dog and went "wow, that actually does look like a coyote" :downs:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

EnsignVix posted:

We adopted Desmond who the previous owners claimed to be a husky mix which seemed very off. We've been assuming he is boxer/pit. What do you fine people think?

A couple years ago.

Recent, he had surgery on his ear which is why it is hanging down like that.

Did the previous owner see the mom? Sometimes it can be really hard to guess just based on what the pup looks like. This dog is half Alaskan huskey:

That said, your dog definitely looks boxer-y and I could see pit too. His coat looks kind of thick though, is it just the pictures?

Vintimus Prime posted:

Since I moved and got more space, I adopted a brother for Leia. Here's Luke:

The shelter says he's a border collie mix, what do you guys think?

Which one is Luke? Neither look particularly collie-ish to me. Both look kind of shepherd-y but mostly like mixes of mixes.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Effingham posted:

This is my new boy, Mr. Bobo.

The foster agency said he was a golden retriever and collie mix. The vet said he was a Sheltie. I'm going for Sheltie, but at 50 pounds he's a bit large. Possibly Sheltie+something?

He's very comfortable in his own skin -- he doesn't want to play, either with toys or people, and just lounges around. But he likes to be in the room with me. When I'm not at the desk, he's very pushy about wanting to be petted. He will head butt my hand, or come up and put his paw on my arm. This is what I see a lot:

We know he's eight years old, but that's about all.

He's a lovesponge, and the best doggie ever.

What a happy guy! Good on you for adopting him. I'd agree with sheltie maybe just a poorly bred overly large one or possibly mixed with a golden retriever. He's a bit of a chunk so I bet if you slimmed him down (the nutrition megathread stickied at the top could help with that) he would be more sheltie-looking and might be more excited to play too.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 17, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pristine Shits posted:

Pom and sheltie mix (we think!)

That is a corgi face if I've ever seen one! Reminds me of my parent's pembroke. I'd guess pem/pom.

DracoArgentum posted:

Was just talking with a friend about her mutt, Marley.

She thinks maybe basenji and shepherd.

Basenjis are pretty rare so unless your area has a lot of them its pretty doubtful they make up any part of that pup. It's really hard to tell what puppies are until they're full grown. Maybe some sort of bully thing? He has gorgeous eyes.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ginny Field posted:

So, jack/pug it is, I guess. :3:

I think I had just always assumed that the pug coloring would dominate in most pug mixes-- every puggle I've ever seen has been black and tan.

Also, juggles sound like they should be some special breed of circus trick dog.

You're right, for him to have that amount of white both parents would have to at least carry white. I'm going to guess pug/beagle/jack. I bet he's a fun dog :3:

rabbit rabbit posted:

This is Remy. I just got this girl a month ago and I'm not exactly sure what she is. The shelter labeled her as an Australian Cattle dog mix. Any ideas?

I'd agree with cattle dog/pit-thing. Get ready for a smart as a whip, amazingly loyal dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

rabbit rabbit posted:

She's already amazingly loyal and she's ridiculously sweet. I really got lucky. Any idea how long it takes a dog to open up more? She's been in a shelter most of her life but is still timid around my family members and not so excited about playing yet.

It was a good 3 months before my rescue dog started really acting like the dog he is now. Taking her to training classes might really help her confidence if you haven't already.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

bisticles posted:

We just picked up our first dog today. A year-old rescue from Lousiana that was brought up to a shelter in upstate NY. Incredibly calm and quiet, although it's possible she's just very tired. Not sure what's in her other than Shepard. She's polydactyl on just one rear paw.

Is that a freckly paw or just the light? Can you get a picture of her whole body? What size is she?

Definitely see the shepherd its hard to tell the rest without more info. She has such a sweet face! You can tell she's had a long day though. The extra claw is probably a home dewclaw removal gone wrong unless it is a double dewclaw.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

demozthenes posted:

It all sounds a little :tinfoil: to me but on the other hand, I have never seen test results that weren't a complete joke, so...

I don't know about testing a purebred dog (although there are wisdompanel tests to do that specifically now) but I think the quality of the results really depends on the person/program analysing them and just how mixed your mixed breed is. I think Major's results were very plausible:

There is an older, intact female st. bernard that is a regular at the pound that Major came from and ACD mixes are a dime a dozen in rural Ohio.

The stuff that makes up a smaller percentage of his genetic makeup is a lot more ridiculous but it's probably a lot more convoluted and requires more guesswork from the tech or computer program putting together the results.

(He's totally an American Eskimo mix)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Shebrew posted:

Or maybe a Catahoula hound mix? I don't know how common they are.

Edit: Hmm...maybe too short-coated....

Houlas are merle, that do is ticked and roaned. I'd guess ACD+something huge and carrying extreme white but something like a german shorthair pointer could give that level of ticking too.

Edit: My ACD mix is 80 lbs.

vv Could have some lab/have a half lab parent but she needs to have two parents carrying extreme white to have that coloration and pure labs don't. vv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 14, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aery posted:

Nope, she's never bayed. She has a few barks, a typical big dog woof, a quieter wuff when she wants food and an unholy high pitched yap when she's bored or lonely.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with cattledog mix with that description. Everyone loves the bored ACD talking.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aravenna posted:

YES he likes hugs! The very first time I met him, I kneeled down to scratch him and he stepped forward into my arms, rested his forehead against my chest, and totally relaxed. He also likes to Sit in Laps. This is capitalized because he weighs 72 pounds so it is a very significant event.

Major is the same way about hugs and lap sitting. He is somehow entirely made of elbows so his lap sitting can be horribly painful but he loves it so much. He pretty much is only allowed to do it at the vet's office so he really loves going there now. All the techs let him have some lap time. His hugs are much more gentle. He either mashes his face into your chest and sighs or puts his head on your shoulder. It's very sweet :3:

This is the picture that I saw on the rescue's website that made me go "welp, gonna get that dog".

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I have seen so many people say "he's merle so he must be an ACD mix!" when the dog doesn't have any ticking at all on it's white bits. I understand why they would be confused but it still gets old.

The people who wrote that seem to not understand that a lot of breed characteristics are due to grooming and taping and various maintenance and thus would not be inherited by a mix.

Also apparently only 3 breeds have the super rare "fluffy" gene. If your dog is fluffy it is a poodle, BC or chow for sure.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Unless the rescue had one or both of the parents their guess could very well be wrong just because it's super hard to tell with puppies. Lots of genotypes can look "golden" (ee yellow, fawn, light sable, etc) but that doesn't mean they are part golden retriever. Your boy does have a much meatier mouth than any golden pup I've seen. It almost looks like when my dog ate a bee when I was a kid.

The only pups I can think of that have had that thick of a snout are meatmouth shar peis and maybe mastiffs? Who knows though, he could completely change appearance as he grows up. With mixed puppies you just have to wait and see.

vv I totally forgot about spaniel pups, I could see that. vv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 25, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Petey posted:

(xposted from the primitives thread)
These dogs appealed to me. I've always loved the temperament of newfoundlands but also loved the aesthetics of huskies (and other primitive dogs). And look at these dogs. Just look at them. And one of the other benefits is, as I understand it, is that cross-breeds can live longer than larger pure-bred dogs in part because of the genetic robustness.

However, I also know that "hey it might be nice and also looks cool" are bad reasons to consider a dog breed. Additionally, I don't know where one would get a husky/newf mix responsibly, how the traits would be likely to mix (if they were predictable at all), or any other questions.

Can anyone help a complete newbie begin to think about these questions? What are the relevant concerns to work through if, once I decide I can responsibly have a dog, I thought about trying to get a dog like this?

There is certainly nothing wrong with adopting a large black mutt, because they are generally the least adoptable dogs but the chances of them actually being a husky/newf mix and not a random wooly beast is pretty slim. Newfoundlands are not super popular so the chances of them contributing their genes to a dog like that is a lot less than a random chow/shepherd/lab/fluffdog down the street. Even if the dog is exactly half newf and half husky there is no guarantee that it will have the newf personality and not just be a 100 lb rear end in a top hat or have a completely different personality than either parent.

Also being a mix doesn't necessarily mean that the dog will be healthier. A mix of dogs with lovely hips and a history of cancer is going to result in mutts with lovely hips that's prone to cancer. My dog is a mutt and is getting creaky and developing mystery lumps at 5.

If you want a big fluffy black dog go on petfinder and contact local rescues, let them know exactly what you need, can deal with, and can not have in a dog and mention that you prefer giant black dogs and I'm sure someone can find you a big black dog that fits your needs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

mutantmanifesto posted:

So I decided to go for the Wisdom Panel Insights test (I don't know if there's hate for these here, but I work in a place that does tests like this and I was curious). I know they aren't 100% accurate, but it was still fun to do. Their results from her cheek cells were pretty cut and dry. With mutts you'll often get a "Mixed Breed" result which means they see traces of certain breeds but can pinpoint one. This is what I got:

Which is baffling if it's accurate. DNA doesn't lie and I took precautions from contaminating the sample, so who knows. I'm wondering where the hell her wire hair came from. It's not totally out of the question for a gene to be expressed in a mix, but this is odd. I'm probably gonna email them and ask for a breakdown, as they apparently are good at doing that. I recommend the test for mutt owners, personally, as I know what they are doing and it's pretty fun regardless.

That turned out really cool! I love seeing results from these tests. I'm guessing either Lucy got some odd combination of the long wooly hair coat from the malt/shih and the coarser chi fur. Some of the malt/chi mixes and especially shih/chi mixes on good old dogbreedinfo look fairly terrier-y.

Also since wire coats are dominant it could have slipped in somewhere in BYB land and been carried along to your pup.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Funkutron5000 posted:

I just adopted a pooch from a local animal rescue agency and she is an absolute doll. They think that she's about a year old and at least partially a flat coat. I agree on the flat coat part but I'm not sure about the age.

Here's her sitting like a good dog waiting to go out

Her huge paws are a reason I'm thinking she may be a little younger than they thought. She's already almost 60 lbs so she's gonna end up pretty big, I think.

FCRs are really rare and not popular among BYBs for the most part so I'd really doubt she is a FCR mix. I'd guess black lab/golden. I've seen some truly monstrous labs from shady breeders pushing 100 lbs even when not horribly obese so it wouldn't surprise me if she turned out to be a big girl.

She looks like a really sweet dog :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

^^Not really and I tend to see ACD everywhere. Too lanky, goofy sweet face, not actively biting anything. ^^^

Schizotek posted:

Incomparable in terms of intensity in which direction?

Boxers tend to be jolly, bouncy active. They like to jog and play with people but it's all in good fun. ACDs are serious and intense about their activity. They will do it all and do it best and you better stay out of the way. They still have their own sort of humor but they need a job and will make one up if they have to. You will need to put serious amounts of training and exercise into this puppy to have it not make your life hell. You'll be rewarded with an amazingly intelligent, loyal, courageous dog but they are really nothing like a boxer.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

He kind of looks like Major with a pointier snout. I could see Great Pyr in him if someone told me that's what he is, wouldn't be my immediate thought though.

Fun fact, Major was listed as a pyr mix (but isn't actually). That dog looks like a dog that would be labeled a pyr mix but doesn't look a whole lot like an actual pyr. Definitely could be a LGD/herding/general farm mix though. The face looks kind of terrier-y to me in addition to his rough coat.

aBagorn posted:

Ok goons, in every subject, be it sports/games/ politics/coding, I can always count on superb analysis an opinion here.

So I pose the question: What is the mix in my new pit mix?

Her name is Lexie, and we rescued her about a month ago. She's approximately 13 months old.

How big is she and do you have any pics from the side? Mostly just looks pit-y. Love those forehead wrinkles. She's so concerned :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Damnskippy posted:

This is my dog, Rorschach. I've had some pretty diverse guesses about his origins. I'd be curious to know what you all think. He weighs about 60lbs and is incredibly low key except when it comes to food.

Please disregard the nerdy mess in the background.

He looks so much like my dog in this picture who is a saint bernard/cattle dog/something mix but for once I don't think your spotty dog is a cattle dog mix although I could very well be mistaken. ACDs are everywhere and ticking is highly variable. His spots are really nice and distinctly round so I'm going to go with either dalmatian or pointer mixed with something with a heavier build and with a thicker coat and that is clearly way mellower. Do you squish his floppy neck flab? Major has such squishable neck flab :3:

The more I look at him I could be persuaded he could be quarter ACD or just not have inherited the roaning. Seriously looks so much like my beast. You don't happen to be in Ohio do you?

joyfulgirl129 posted:

Dogs are assholes. Get two.

We adopted a two year old, fourteen pound couch potato that our puppy has latched onto like a sponge. He's slightly cross-eyed and our best guess is dachshund-something because he has a bark like a sonic boom and funny twisty front paws.

I'm going to go with dachshund/yorkie for your stubster.

s'Ilancy posted:

Meet Juno.
I bought her an Alabama jersey of her own; as much for her as it is for my husband since he loves Alabama. He even went so far as to explain how she would be the best safety ever.

That's super cute :3: I'm guessing she's just an ultra mutted up, Carolina dog-esque yellow dog.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

cryingscarf posted:

Whatever he is, he is adorable. I am biased though, cause black and white spotty dogs are my thing.

I have posted Abby before in this thread, but I'll post her again for fresh ideas. I have pretty solid guesses for the other dogs, but Abby has always been a mystery to me. I know something like Pointer mix, but GSPs are mostly liver and white, and english pointers aren't as splotchy. Dalmatians don't have those splotches, and none of those breeds have her funky curl tail. The other possibilities I have heard get tossed around are springers or cattle dogs, but nothing seems right. Personality wise, she is really neurotic, hates most other dogs, has never had a desire to play fetch and is incredibly stubborn when it comes to training.

Liver is recessive so lots of GSP mixes end up black and the big splotches are fairly common when mixing an extreme white dog with a piebald or piebald carrying dog. That said she isn't roan and doesn't really strike me as a GSP mix but I would believe dal or pointer mixed with possibly akita since the short coat is dominant. That would provide the piebald markings, curly tail and attitude.