Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone say if the rescue told us wrong in saying our puppy Linus (14 weeks old now) is a golden retriever/border collie mix? Every time we take him out and say he's this mix, we always get people saying "I've never seen a face like he's got before".

Here he is head on

And his head in profile

And one more from a few weeks back because why not (about 9 or 10 weeks old here)

The kid is cute but I've never seen another golden puppy with such a wide and short snout/muzzle. Plus, he's got "jowl wrinkles" (i have no clue what I'm trying to describe here). A couple of his litter mates at the shelter were golden in color so maybe it's a fair assessment of his mix?

I'm a first time puppy owner so maybe I just haven't been exposed to enough puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

demozthenes posted:

That muzzle looks very cocker or springer spaniel to me, they both tend to have that jowly/wrinkly maw when they are puppies and eventually will grow into them. See:

(A springer pup up top and a bunch of American cocker pups in the bottom picture.)

Sweet christmas. That top picture looks just like him (just not black). Especially the eyes. Linus has those same slightly droopy eyes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know that they aren't completely accurate but Home.Woot is running the Wisdom Panel test for 25% off for curious dog owners.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So Linus's Wisdom Panel results came back:

I expected the Shar-Pei (and to a lesser extent the Chow Chow) but didn't expect to see GSD. Being such a common breed, how likely is the GSD in the results to actually be GSD and not just some kind of Shepherd breed? He's doesn't have any of the traits of GSDs.

The "other breeds" page listed Siberian Husky and Wire Terrier as possible other contributors but I think it was mentioned in this thread that these just mean some kind of husky/terrier generalness. Other weird stuff possibly detected was Brittany, American Hairless, and Glen of Imaal Terrier. :iiam:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Christopher Robin posted:

Here's my dog, he's half Newfoundland and half Malamute. He's 16 months old.

You have a time travelling bear from the 80s.

I request his response to DEVO, Billy Ray Cyrus, and other mullets.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Short of a DNA test, you probably won't get anything more than 'Lab mix'. Which is perfectly fine because she's totally a lab.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
More Shar Pei mixes! He's been in this thread before but who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Should’ve said “Make Great Sausages Again”