Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Rusty is 1/2 Golden retriever and 1/2 who knows what. Our best guess is that dad (who my roommate did get to see) was a lab/spaniel/chow or lab/golden/chow mix. Rusty adores retrieving, swimming, and shedding all over everything.

His hair is mostly like a golden's, but he has a spotty tongue, curly tail, and thicker hair than most goldens. Apparently he's quite striking, as I get comments on how pretty he is from random people on the street all the time.

He also has a gloriously fluffy tail

Kara is our recent addition. I adopted her from the shelter. She's definitely at least mostly lab, beyond that I have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

dimwitf posted:

He's since gotten a good deal bigger.

He looks a lot like a lab/beagle to me. Especially the face.

It seems like the DNA testing kits are pretty hit or miss. I've heard of the results coming up with all kinds of weird things when the test is done on purebred dogs (even common ones like labs that the test should not have an issue with).

Which is a shame because I would love to try it on Rusty especially.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Chocolate ball!

Rusty looking regal:

Both dogs (ignore the purebred golden we are petsitting):

Bonus pic of Megatron (my cousin's 6 month old GSD mix):

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Could she be lab-doberman? My dog has similar markings and (from what I can see in these pictures and the new ones on page 3) a similar body. The only difference is that my Moose hunts like a bird of prey.

I don't think so for two reasons.

First, she's tiny for a lab (19 inches at the shoulder and 50lbs soaking wet), and even smaller for a dobe. This is probably why doberman mix is a popular guess from photos but not in person.

Second, the markings she has are brindled, not just tan (if I flip her over, her legs are striped, not solid tan like on your pup).

She also has a pretty short, thick muzzle, rather than the thinner one a dobe would have.

I think she would have to be mixed with something that has a brindle gene and is smaller than a lab(whippet? pit? dunno). Behaviorally she acts a bit like a beagle and the size would fit but it doesn't explain the color and she doesn't look much like one. :iiam:

Moose is gorgeous, I'd love to see more pics!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

New pics of my two plus pictures of my friends' new puppy, Zen (so named for how chill he is).

Kara looking worried

Rusty checking out the yard to assure our safety

Zen

Good shot of his crazy hair

He's about 7 months old, 55lbs (right between Kara and Rusty in size), and a true mutt. His mom was a GSD mix (they were dropped off at the shelter together when Zen was ~5 months) and dad is completely unknown. They got him from a rescue about 3 weeks ago and he's the most chill pup his age I've ever met. He adores Kara and Rusty after getting to meet them both on his first day home. We're currently pet sitting for the weekend.

Zen and Rusty chase each other around the backyard like madmen. Kara tolerates him acting like an idiot puppy and gets annoyed when he steals the lizards she has been chasing down. Eowyn (kitty) is enjoying the attention he gives her (just sniffing and watching, she rubs all over him and swats him if he ignores her).

And as a bonus, puppy pics of Rusty that I just got the boyfriend to give me.
8 weeks (1 week home) with Jasmine (old roommate's golden, 6 months at the time)

Video from the same time

~13 weeks

6 months

All grown up (tongue keeps getting more spots)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Sapid posted:

We just adopted a mutt! Her name is Gia and she's half heeler and half husky.

a life less posted:

I don't see either Heeler or Husky here - both the ears and fur texture are uncharacteristic for those breeds. How sure are you? Regardless, she's really beautiful.

Agreed. She actually reminds me a bit of Rusty when he was ~6 months old (golden mix).

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Norwegian Wood posted:

My condolences. So it was a pure lab, only heavily built? Do you have any old pictures?

Show labs are extremely heavily built with huge, blocky heads. I dislike it quite a bit, but some people seem to love it. There is a LOT of variation in how purebred labs look, both because they are extremely popular (and are thus milled and BYB with little regard the for standard) and because there are both field and show types.

Labs with white spots or patches on the chest do show up (as do labs with the brindle points that you see in my pics of Kara), but they also show up in mixed breeds, making it a little difficult to figure out what is and is not a purebred lab based on looks alone.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Norwegian Wood posted:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but by "Show labs", do you mean labs who participate in competitions?

Yea, show labs are those used in confirmation showing. They are typically heavily built with big blocky heads. Almost to the point of looking like a mastiff x lab mix.

Here is a dog from a breeder who raises show-type labs: http://www.wigwaglabradors.com/clintspage.htm

(Note: There is not necessarily anything wrong with these dogs. I don't personally like the look, but many do, and a great many dogs of this type continue to perform well at their "job" of being hunting companions)

Though more heavily built than field labs, show labs are typically shorter, as they have to fit within the breed standard, which calls for a max size for males of 24.5" (much less than what many people think of as the average size for a lab). They may weigh 20-40 pounds more than a field bred lab of similar height though.

Field bred labs have shorter coats, finer heads, and lighter bodies. They are typically taller and may not adhere as well to the breed standard. These are dogs that are used for hunting and field trials (basically simulated hunting). My boss owns two that do extremely well (he's been offered more than 10k for one of them) and they look so different from the show type labs it's hard to believe they are considered the same breed.

Here is an example of a breeder who focuses on field type dogs: http://www.highbrasskennels.com/females.htm

Field type dogs are also usually higher energy.

BYB or "pet bred" labs are a clusterfuck, with almost no consistency in temperament, size, coat, color. There are people breeding blue and silver labs (dogs that have weims mixed in a ways back to give them the dilute gene), people breeding labs that are way oversized compared to the standard (both height and weight) and even people purposely breeding for mismarks such as black and tan or brindle labs.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

New pics of my two mutts.

Rusty taking a ride in the car

Kara and I (she is worrying about the impending thunderstorm)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Looks like a beagle mix to me. I don't see any GSD in that dog. He could be beagle x pit.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Got the DNA test results back today on my mutt (a friend gave me a test kit for graduation).

According to the test, Kara is (in order of their suspected contribution):
Labrador retriever
Mastiff
Boston terrier
Springer spaniel
Bassett hound

Though the tests can be very hit or miss, the results actually make a lot of sense for her. She looks like a lab, but is too small. She has brindle points (a gene carried by both mastiffs and bostons). She has a long back and too-short front legs. Her nose and ears are both shorter than they should be for a lab. When you get past how much she looks like a lab, she has an attitude and general look to her that is very houndlike, and people often ask me if she is part beagle.

I don't put tons of stock in the results, but found it interesting that they fit well with many of her features. The test was easy and it was fun getting the results. I'd reccomend it if you are curious and have some extra money to burn.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Superconsndar posted:

They pretty much are exactly this and I wish they would go away because of it.

They really aren't. They are far from perfect, and not something that should be used to test a dog for pit content or determine if it's purebred, but that doesn't mean it's the same as just spitting out random breeds.

The science behind it is actually pretty cool and is still coming along. It is based on he same methods I used for my graduate research. It will never be able to do some of the things people think of when they think about DNA testing, but that doesn't mean it's made up poo poo.

For what it's worth, I would agree that many people either use the tests for the wrong reasons or take the results entirely too seriously. But they do that with many other things as well. It's hardly unique to canine DNA testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Burrito posted:

Sad thing is they were set to get all their shots and get fixed today, but she's holding off on bringing them in, now.

She should REALLY take them in. The distemper shot is HIGHLY effective and there is still a good chance it could save them.