Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«417 »
Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

That sure is one way to eat up a lot of real estate with no appreciable benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That sure is one way to eat up a lot of real estate with no appreciable benefit.

I bet the ROW for the cloverleaf was purchased or dedicated when 571 was built, and then when they went to build or improve the cross-street, they decided to add all the direct- and loop-ramps because hey why not, they had the ROW already dedicated so it's no cost, and it makes the operations look marginally better in the 1980's traffic simulation software.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

What happened to that person who was going to post the plans for their cities cycleway? I'm curious to see what it was

Tiny Tubesteak Tom
Dec 16, 2011

accidentally deflated my balls

after all these years, I've finally found it. The World's Most Unexplainable Bus Station

What do you do? Where do you go? There are no sidewalks, no walkways, no overpasses, the pedestrian bridge way up the road doesn't have an entrance from that particular street level, and the bus stop is an island platform in the middle of the interstate exit. It looks like it could fit maybe 10 cars in that little passthrough, and the island itself can't possibly hold enough people at one time to use as some kind of weird highway rideshare thing

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Guessing here: Changing between two or more bus lines.

Edit: Found the right "Erie St SE", it's the one in Minneapolis.

Looks like I was right, the bus stop is called "Interstate 94 & Huron Transit Station".
Seems to be served by at least bus routes 375 , 365, 355 and 94, I think they're all long distance "express" type routes.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 21, 2020

Tiny Tubesteak Tom
Dec 16, 2011

accidentally deflated my balls

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Guessing here: Changing between two or more bus lines.

Edit: Found the right "Erie St SE", it's the one in Minneapolis.

Looks like I was right, the bus stop is called "Interstate 94 & Huron Transit Station".

I also looked it up and found it, and I guess the tiny island made sense for its ridership - I found it on the MetroTransit site as well shortly after I posted and it isn't on their interactive map of stations anymore. Looks like it formerly allowed the UoM shuttle to transfer to the Route 94 bus

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

https://goo.gl/maps/yEhHRhrjHWEqoujZ6

I thought maybe it was a layover spot for drivers, but there's no bathrooms or anything.

I do see it listed on a couple bus route maps: https://www.metrotransit.org/data/s...s/48/134Map.pdf

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I also looked it up and found it, and I guess the tiny island made sense for its ridership - I found it on the MetroTransit site as well shortly after I posted and it isn't on their interactive map of stations anymore. Looks like it formerly allowed the UoM shuttle to transfer to the Route 94 bus

A lot of time silly looking things like that are the result of a "legacy" land uses, like if there was an existing bus stop at the end of a roadway, and now a new project is going to dead-end that roadway at a new interstate interchange, and the division that runs buses in your town, who is under the same executive branch as the county, says, "Well how are our buses going to serve this area now, we can't very well have them turning around in a neighborhood before they get there" so the engineer looks at the client, who shrugs, and then they carve out that middle transit stop, and all the outside directional ramps move out a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!

Nap Ghost

That bus loop is expressly there for UMN/METRO Light Rail shuttles to transfer with express routes on I-94, without having them completely leave the Interstate. Also to turn shuttles around.

None of the shuttles are in operation right now, due to the pandemic and related school closure, so the stop is out of service. Otherwise, it provides a quick trip from Downtown St Paul to UMN, or from UMN to Downtown Minneapolis.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...9!4d-93.2228914

METRO Green Line has made it largely obsolete, but some trips are still much faster via the 94.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 22, 2020

«417 »