Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Cichlidae posted:

Here's a stack, the most efficient and highest-capacity of all interchanges. Note that it only has one structure!

I was just reading about Chicago's Circle Interchange, which is also a stack, but is also apparently the country's third-worst traffic bottleneck. So if a stack is already the highest capacity interchange, what do you do if it's still not enough? Spread everything out more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Vanomaly posted:

Awesome thread!

What do you think about radar signs?

They seem far more imposing than normal speed limit signs.

I just saw an interesting variation on these near Chicago. Rather than show your speed, it was a regular speed limit sign with an LED/strobe light border that would start flashing at you if you were going well over the limit. I think this is a better idea.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Cichlidae posted:

This was very interesting. I've seen two kinds of timings used in intersections like this.

Usually, intersections like this will cycle 1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8, skipping the arrows if there are sensors and nobody is turning left.

However, occasionally, I'll come across one that cycles through each direction clockwise, 1-6, 4-7, 2-5, 3-8. It typically takes a lot longer to move through that cycle.

What sort of conditions or factors go into deciding which of those cycles to use?

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Cichlidae posted:

Triple digit US routes, like 202, are bypasses or spurs of their respective two-digit routes.

I've also read that for the triple-digits, if the first number is even, it will connect back up with the original route (bypass), and odd first digits are spurs. I'm not sure if this is always the case, but it is for every road I can think of around here.

And the even/odd numbering can be very confusing in places like Chicago, where the major East-West expressways 90 and 94 both run North-South. I still don't understand whey they don't label them N/S on the signs around here (or both E/W and N/S).