Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
How do you feel about New Jersey's (in)famous jug handles? I learned to drive there and actually liked them, but I can understand how they can be confusing.

Funny how there's a handful of us from the greater Sacramento area bitching about our roads. 99/50/5 interchange. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Why do certain places have those god awful traffic lights that are impossible to tell which color they are until you're right under them? I get it, "ha ha! Those pesky drivers will have to slow down to see if they're ok to pass through the intersection!" but really, I imagine it would just create more traffic.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I am pretty certain that's a cloverleaf. He mentioned all sorts of kinds on page two I think.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

Meet the most dangerious interchange in Sacramento
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...14&z=16&iwloc=A
Biz 80, US 50, and 99

Can you tell me where and why?

Also: Ring roads? Are they as awesome as I think?

I mentioned the hate for this interchange a little while back. I am 99% certain that when 5/50/99/80 were linked, they didn't decide to intentionally make it a nightmare. The fact that it is built OVER part of downtown definitely requires it to be squished into whatever possible configuration.

Sacramento just has some horrific highways. The EB Cap City and 80 merge right by Madison is a good example.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Basilson posted:

Also, I was in Bangkok, Thailand a little while ago and came across what I thought to be an awesome feature of their stoplights which I've never seen before or since. Mounted next to the actual stoplight is a countdown timer which will count down the seconds of each phase of the light. I thought this was great as it means you'll always know how long you have to wait at the intersection before the light goes green. How come I've never seen these anywhere else? Is it actually a stupid idea for reasons I'm not aware of? I can't really see any downsides. Am I stupid?

Even though I'm not a traffic engineer, I think I could see a few problems with this. Say the light is saying there are 3 seconds left on a green or yellow light. This would cause a more reckless driver to gun it and try to make it through the intersection. This could also cause some people to preemptively start moving before a red light fully ended.

I'm not sure about NZ, but in the US, the time a light stays green is not always set in stone either.