Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

I have a question.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.448...e0fDf5TKcdg!2e0

What in the world is the point of this Yield sign? Who are you supposed to yield to? All I've ever seen it do is get people to panic break and almost get rear ended. Neither lane even ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I believe that's a joke.

In high school, some friends of mine plowed down a stop sign, then haphazardly jammed it into the dirt on the side of the road on the very long one-way driveway up to the high school. People would still stop even though they're on a single-lane one-way road.

Nah, it's a legit sign. Just baffling.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Can't remember what city it was, but near where I live (Tampa Bay area of Florida) they put in a small roundabout. People didn't seem get to the hang of it so they put stop signs on all the entrances. They tore out a 4-way stop to make the drat thing as I recall. Ugh.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 18, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

drunkill posted:

Why not Yeild signs? Then it works as a roundabout. Do you have Yeild signs in the usa?

We do, and it had them originally. The people just must have had a lot of accidents or complained until it was changed to stop signs I guess.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 18, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

It was made infinity worse. I was sad that they took out something terrible and replaced it with something awesome, only to gently caress it up later. A roundabout with stop signs in place of yield is a a huge waste of time and money.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Speaking of TPA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTylqcX5sPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk0c3I0WAJY

That looks pretty drat nice, and getting rid of those rental-car shuttles is a step in the right direction, I think.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Cities: Skylines is $15 on Steam.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Can we argue about something that isn't bikes, please?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

nm posted:

One street I take has these bullshit plastic speed bumps that taper off in the bike lane.

Are they those ones that are flat on top and about 2ish feet wide? I hate those ones, they drat near break your back if you aren't doing about 10.

e: sort of like a tiny speed table

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Varance posted:

Cool stuff on Tampa.

That looks pretty awesome. I have family who swear that this kind of project is a waste of money and I just cannot grok that.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Okay, I have a question. In my town there is a light that has a protected left, but it also flashes yellow with a sign explaining that flashing yellow means left turn must yield, you know, for the morons! The thing is, the light will sometimes be flashing yellow when the through lanes are still red. Is this some kind of mistake, or can I turn left on red because of that stupid arrow? It seems like an odd thing so I never tried.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

When you are at a stoplight there are three options:

A) turn left
B) turn right
C) drive directly into the house in front of you

Why is it necessary to have a huge reflective sign with arrows pointing out that you only should choose A or B?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Okay, another question. On the main drag near my place the speed limit is 45. It stays there for a couple miles, then it goes down to 40, and a few blocks later it goes to 45 again. There isn't a school where the dip occurred​, it's just more strip malls. Why might this be?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Thwomp posted:

It's called a speed trap.

I know what a speed trap is, and if this is one we have the laziest cops in the world. People do 50+ constantly and I have never seen anyone get pulled over.

Baronjutter posted:

Any curves or anything? A higher density of driveways? Would probably need to see a map of the area to really tell you. Or it could just be good old politics.

No curves, no change in driveways. The Google Earth imagery is pretty awful, so I'll look again to see if there is anything I've missed.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

I have a faint recollection of someone in this thread saying concrete was also falling out of favor because of difficulty repairing it, but that might be wrong.

Also, as to my speed limit question a bit ago, it looks like here used to be 4 churches clustered together where the speed dips, so that's one mystery solved I guess.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Forget that, can you imagine driving on a glass road? Everyone would die the first time it rained.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

PittTheElder posted:

I for one don't really want to ride in a car that's a big steel box with no windows.

Yeah, that would be boring as hell.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

What's up with these X's on the street every once in a while? They're the same reflective paint as everything else and maybe 5ish feet to a side.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Nope, one's along side of a marina, not near the entrance, and one is just along a random stretch of road. They are both low speed, for what that matters.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.473...!7i13312!8i6656

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Not sure if this is the place, but why might a construction zone have an orange sign for a stop light that was there for well over a decade and hasn't been changed in the least?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Devor posted:

Do you mean a W3-3 as shown on this link?

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009..._1_longdesc.htm

Is it orange like that shows, or is it the duller yellow like the W3-3 on this page?

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009...06_longdesc.htm

In either case, it's just a warning sign that says "Look out, there's a signal here".

Best reasons this could be added in temporary orange: At some point, they're going to muck around and make lane changes or other stuff that are going to confuse people, and new drivers to the area might be less likely to notice the signal as they come upon it.

Bad reason it could be added in temporary orange: A lazy reviewer didn't want to look at the plans so they just offered an "Add a W3-3 sign" because it's easy and makes it look like they're doing stuff

Yeah, it was the orange W3-3.

They made a 2-lane road into a 4-lane divided with no other major changes that spring to mind. They didn't even shift lanes, just added one to each side and pushed the turn lanes one further out.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

So, there is a major road near me that has a dual right turn to deal with rush hour traffic. The thing is, there is also a "no turn" LED sign that isn't always used, even then the right turn signal is red. Why? I just don't get it. You have a red right turn arrow, so why would you need a separate sign to tell you not to turn right on red? This is Florida, US if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Nah, no train tracks, just a really busy road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.445...!7i16384!8i8192

e: I'm a moron, thanks

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 30, 2020