Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
British Columbia has a lot of single yellow lines (sometimes even on highways) so I guess the Canadians haven't outlawed them yet. I think it's just a way to indicate that a street is designated as an arterial without giving the illusion that it's a major road. Seattle uses dashed lines do to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I'd say the majority of non-arterial intersections in Seattle and Tacoma are either completely uncontrolled or are controlled only by mini-roundabouts. In practice, it is not all that scary. Most residential streets are effectively one-lane roads and cars tend to take them slowly. You're supposed to yield to traffic approaching from the right, which is only a problem when some rear end in a top hat parks his Escalade right at the corner.

Of course, Seattle also has streets like this: http://goo.gl/maps/Numj9

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The unfinished freeway of my youth: http://goo.gl/maps/pKFRm

If you continue east, you can see that the right of way still exists. However, building a bridge over the lake was not exactly a popular idea.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
South Florida is where you should go if you want to design ridiculous interchanges.

Try to find the path from EB 826 to NB 95

Surely you don't want to continue straight from 112 to 195, right?

Somebody really famous must live on the southeast corner

I think they're actually trying to "fix" this one

Orlando honorable mention

826-95 is not as bad in person as it looks on Google Maps. 112-195 is far worse.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

mamosodiumku posted:

What is the cost difference between this and a full tunnel?

They're not really comparable. A snow shed's purpose is merely to protect a road from avalanches while a tunnel's purpose is to go through something you can't easily go around.

Here's a discussion of a local project. Washington state decided that building bridges rather than a snowshed would save $37M in maintenance and operational costs over the lifetime of the structure. The actual construction costs are tricky to compare due to the way that they were determined. There are some significant rail tunnels under the Cascades, but those have as much to do with minimizing grades as anything else.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The best part about the King County grid is that the streets are contiguous with the Snohomish County grid but the street names are not. King County's Meridian Avenue turns into 76th Avenue SW when it hits the county line while Snohomish County's Meridian Avenue turns into 80th Avenue NE. The street that straddles the county line is either 205th or 244th, depending on the side of the road you're on. There's even a town that spans both counties just to add to the fun.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiznpGdVsiY
Innovative new traffic signal / detector system from Netherlands.

The thing that impressed me most about the bicycle infrastructure in The Netherlands is that there are so many streets that actually have room for four lanes for cars (or some combination of cars, trams and on-street parking), two lanes for bicycles and relatively wide sidewalks. Were the streets always this wide or does the creation of bicycle infrastructure involve a lot of eminent domain/buying out landowners?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Seattle's bike share is going to have helmet rentals to comply with the mandatory helmet law. The operator claims it is going to collect and clean them every night. We will see how long that lasts. I've never seen a rental helmet I've wanted to put anywhere near my head.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Cichlidae posted:

Haha, drat, that's fantastic. Public employees aren't allowed to show any significant humor here on official social media. Maybe the West Coast really is different.

On the other hand, putting the Seattle DOT feed in the hands of a real person has mostly resulted in awkward Reddit memes. They stopped trying so hard to be funny after that.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Is it still going to have a 50 MPH speed limit (that everyone ignores)?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Real talk: what percentage of wrong-way crashes are suicide attempts? Most people involved in such accidents around here seem to be under 50.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
We made the Golden Gate Bridge feel safer and now drivers are going faster for some mysterious reason.

quote:

The California Highway Patrol announced Thursday that it is stepping up enforcement of speed limits on the Waldo Grade in Marin as well as at the bridge and toll plaza. The reason is that in the days since the more secure movable median barrier was installed, the average speed of drivers on the approach from the north has jumped even though the speed limit was lowered from 55 to 45 miles per hour.

“We’re really seeing unreasonable speeds on the bridge, much faster than before,” said Priya David Clemens, a representative for the Golden Gate Bridge District. For whatever reason, including the possibility that drivers feel safer knowing a car won’t come barreling at them from the opposite direction, “we’ve noticed speeds going up,” Clemens said. “That’s why we asked the CHP to help us.”

On the other hand, they don't say how much the average speed actually increased. I'd bet that the mean speed increased a lot more than the median speed.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
BC already has a law effectively stating that drivers aren't supposed to run into pedestrians even when those pedestrians don't have right of way. I think the laws in the US and the rest of Canada are similar. How is that different from the Dutch law?

On the other hand, BC effectively treats cyclists as motorists who're required to wear a helmet. That's got to be the exact opposite the Dutch approach.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Seattle finally got wise to the virtues of concrete and started using it for streets with heavy bus traffic. Well, sort of. Most of the time we just get concrete at bus stops and nowhere else. It's better than nothing, though!

All concrete:
https://goo.gl/maps/Kma3neACjdL2

Partial concrete:
https://goo.gl/maps/pTsASideLZ52

We have one of the largest fleets of articulated buses in the country and they really don't do our roads any favors (especially on snow days, but that's another story). Every day on my way to work I drive over a busy bus stop that didn't get the concrete treatment. The pavement is now pushed up 2-3 inches in the middle of the lane. I'm counting down the days until it gets so bad I high-center my car.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My favorite local grid is Bellingham, Washington. The city is an amalgamation of four different cities that each had their own grids that ran somewhat parallel to the bay. Neighborhoods built post-amalgamation follow a completely different grid, and streets change names every time they pass from one grid to the next.

Downtown is full of one-way streets but most of the pairs don't reconnect cleanly when they leave downtown. Good luck with that.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria got a fairly ok protected bike lane with lovely unadaptable intersections but one of the big thing was it has a RIGHT TURN SIGNAL. There's a special lane for turning right now, and drivers can not figure it out. They spent like a month with city staff standing on the corner holding "NO RIGHT ON RED" signs and waving at people, because the huge "NO RIGHT ON RED" signs under the signal for that lane wasn't enough. Now they're finally giving tickets to people who do and drivers are in a tizzy about the war on cars. It's apparently the first time there's been a setup like this in BC and people have created this meme that the setup is "illegal" and "There's nothing in the motor vehicle act to support this so you don't have to obey the signal and can fight the ticket!"

It's like loving free men on the land but with traffic signals. Cars going their own way!

I looked at some pictures and it seems like it's the same setup you find in a bunch of places in Vancouver. How long did it take people there to figure out the concept?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Skagit County has a lot of roundabouts but these two are the best.

You might think that these are entrances to the lumberyard but they've both been blocked for as long as there have been roundabouts here. My guess is that the city built them assuming that the roads will eventually be connected once the lumberyard shuts down.

Also, I'm a bad person because the diagonal road is called F&S Grade Road and in my head that automatically gets converted to "gently caress & Suck Grade Road".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

I always wonder how much bad bicycle infrastructure in the US exists because it was required to be built as a condition of the funding source rather than because anyone actually thought something like this was a good idea. This feels like the cycling equivalent of an ADA-compliant bus stop on a road without sidewalks.