Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok i want to kick whoever designed this rest stop. You can't really see it on google maps (and street view is too old to have it) but the entrance to the rest stop itself is riiighht on the other side of a hill that has its apex about where the marker is. When you exit the highway you are coming to the top of the hill and can't see the entrance, so when you are going around 50 mph off of the on ramp and get to the top of the hill, you can't slow down quickly enough to make it across the frontage road. Hell, you can even see the road is literally coated in rubber and tire marks from people who had to stop suddenly to make it in time. In addition, I-30 in Dallas has signs everywhere along it in between 35 and 45 that 45 has a left hand exit. It, in fact has a right hand exit :|.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I think the balls are for the through lanes -- if there is a red ball with the arrow, then its turn only on both sides. With green ball and arrow it means that the opposite direction is stopped and everyone- through and turning- can go. That's what I've always interpreted it as, at least. I know here in dallas there are lights where the balls on the turn signal are used to indicate the lights for the opposing direction, so if you have only a green ball on the turn lane, it means that the light is green for the opposite direction and you can only turn once its safe.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Varance posted:

Let's play a game. Hillsborough County modified an intersection earlier today to relieve congestion near a major mall. Based on the following picture of the span wire and cat tracks, let's see who can guess what the lane configurations are.

This picture is facing NORTH. Click for a larger version.

Hint: Florida has a law that requires a signal head for each lane of traffic, minimum of 2.

Causeway? Left, Left, Left+Straight, Straight, Right?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
It never gets hot in the netherlands?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, holy poo poo I just looked and apparently the average August temperature is 63 degrees F. It's hotter than that right now in Texas!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I call it a left turn lane extender.
And shoulders are right turn lane extenders.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
the 100x claim is for a 4 way intersection, not a stretch of highway, peeps. And realistically the only way we could get autonomous vehicles is either restrict autonomous mode to restricted access roadways or greatly develop the AI enough to allow for Logan-style trucking that still runs you off the road

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
how well does asphalt do with being riverbeds? And alot fo roads up in dallas and austin are concrete, too. Maybe its more cost effective?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
i see florida is continuing their quest to have the nations biggest interchange

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
i imagine its a combo of hiring cops and a bunch of studies that show the venue will not appreciably increase traffic or cause issues, no really!!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really enjoying these urban planning and transport memes

Ohhhhh I feel disappointed that Michael never did that to Chidi in the trolley experiments /tvreference

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Varance posted:

Those look to be twice as thick as standard bollards. Probably an element of price gouging in here as well, since it's a rush order.

Anyway, here in Tampa, we're building a new land bridge to connect one of the bay bridges with an expressway. This is Florida, and our expressways have to be decorative. This is exactly what a rail structure would look like on the same road, but we're building it for cars instead. Unfortunately, it will be a traffic clusterfuck from day one, as it's only one lane wide in each direction with some horrible merges.

Here, have a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVLiYuMOXIc

oh tampa *sigh*

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm going to give the video the benefit of the doubt about the size of the cars, which means that technically it could fit two lanes and keeps a sizable shoulder to allow for accidents

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

I can tell the King St. experiment is going to be a good thing because it's already enraging Ford Nation. http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/11/criticism-car-free-king-street-toronto/

At first I thought you mean Ford Nation as in some dumb name that Ford marketing gave to their fans

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I've been out of DFW for a couple years and in the meantime they finally finished the i-35 construction in the carrollton/lewisville area. What I want to know is what cuntface thought that this was a good idea: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9943406,-96.9506285,17.24z (the satellite view hasn't updated)

What you're looking at is the northbound traffic coming from the bush turnpike gets shunted off to a separate road from i-35 proper, which then gets split up to enter i-35 and the sam rayburn tollway. What's hosed up is that there is only one lane (exit lane style) to get to i-35 and, of course, it always backs up since people want to go north, not north east! The two lanes going to 121 are always mostly empty too. There's something similar on the other direction and in the mornings its even worse than it used to be before the construction. Like, did whoever did the traffic study gently caress up and mix up the 121 and 35 traffic numbers? Cause I can guarantee that while there was a good amount of traffic going to 121, it was almost always free flowing and i used to actually take the 121 exit ramp to bypass the horrible 35 traffic. This whole thing boggles my mind.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
kill the church, make a 4 way

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Can't, can't move infrastructure south of the church.

Ahh I thought that was the PO

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Entropist posted:

Lol if your entire national highway system isn't marked with electronic signs above each lane that can be used to close lanes, indicate adjustable speed limits for each lane, warn of upcoming traffic jams, etc.

The best Texas has are 12x3 character (or so) displays that mostly show amber/silver alerts or anti-drinking and/or road death stats

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Plano tried doing an intersection like that and since soooooo many entitled people live in that area, they could not fathom the idea of not doing what they used to and/or what they wanted. Eventually they just reverted it to a normal intersection.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Kaal posted:

The high speed Texas freeways, like SH 130 which is the fastest at 80-85 mph, are typically built for commuters. The idea that they're mainly being driven by a handful of long-haul rebels without a cause is pure fancy. As is the idea that a road can be too important to have less than maximum speed limits, but not important enough to impact the environment. Fishmech isn't ever going to agree with me or anyone, but the purpose of these environmental speed limits is both very worthwhile and remarkably low-impact.

I'm totally open to developing an American equivalent of the Autobahn, where low-emissions vehicles driven by trained and law-abiding drivers have free reign. But that is not the American freeway system, which is largely filled with idiot drivers commuting 1-10 miles to and from work as fast as humanly possible. And it is certainly not the Netherlands, which is twice the size of New Jersey and has far more typical roads than Texas.

What? Do the west texan interstates and highways no longer have 90mph limits? I distinctly remember travelling at that speed and more driving out to new mexico.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

.... at least this is giving me some ideas for waveguides

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The issue I see is you're still going to run into trouble when you have someone entering the hov transfer lane behind someone exiting from the hov lane. You can't get up to speed if you're behind someone slowing down

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
That's what Texas has been doing and lol if there's a crash

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Again, the issue with channelised traffic is they usually don't put any shoulder on, so if there's a wreck rip, and if there's a wreck and no visibility, hello 100 car pileup due to black ice

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
lol asses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

This made me think of the Michigan lefts they added to an intersection in Plano Texas which got people so confused they just gave up and let people turn at the cross road