Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just read all 64 pages in two days. Man, I have a completely new appreciation for Traffic Engineers now. The things you guys do, awesome!

Do you ever use variable speeds on roads? I saw the 85th percentile stuff a few pages back, but for roads like this (Reeweg / Waalhaven WZ/ZZ/OZ), the problem is that between 7AM - 10AM and 4PM - 6PM there's a lot of traffic there (and thus 50km/h is a reasonable speed), while at any other time you could easily go 80km/h there.

And another question, would you prefer a roundabout there? People are pretty split on that over here, mostly because the majority of traffic are trucks and the railways making things complicated. It'd definitely speed things up, though.

Oh, and follow that highway east for some great intersections. I love our Ring :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It doesn't really look like a city, more like a bunch of neighbourhoods connected by roads.

Rotterdam had an excellent opportunity to do some proper city planning after its city centre was completely bombarded. Unfortunately we decided to return to the old plans, and now they're surprised everything is always locked up. There were some pretty cool plans, I'll see whether I can dig them up if anyone is interested (not really Traffic Engineering any more, more like Urban Planning. Oh well!)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

33 people on a commuter train? Really? I just took a train back home from work (at 1 AM) and there were more people in my CARRIAGE.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MrBling posted:

If you like building bridges you can come to Denmark, we can't get enough of those it seems. Not satisfied with linking the country internally and linking permanently to Sweden they're now planning to also build a bridge to Germany.

There's some sort of bridge building mania in this country. They should focus on fixing/expanding the motorway system instead.

Have they learnt nothing from WWII?

What languages do you speak, Cichlidae? From what I've read in the thread, it's English, German and French right? Dutch should be easy to pick up and we loving love well-designed roads, almost as much as the Germans.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What is your professional opinion on bad-rear end traffic lights like these?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That's the way it is in Rotterdam. Sometimes I dream of having bicycle fly-overs, and then I wake up in a icy world where people would never be able to use them.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dutch Engineer posted:

I think the picture on the right was taken on a different part of the road, further back. Look at the trees to the right and the pylons in the background.

Not to say that it isn't impressive that reconstruction work has already begun.

Yep:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I dunno what's worse, waiting 3 years for a lane to be opened or waiting 30 years to finish a highway.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This is Rotterdam's public transport map. You can pretty much go from anywhere to anywhere. (and we have a crazy city layout)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I checked Rijkswaterstaat (Dutch DoT) and I can't see any openings yet, but you might as well keep an eye on it. IIRC there was another Dutch goon posting in here who used one of your spreadsheets (or vice versa), he might know more.

Good luck!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Qatar, where your craziest intersection designs can become reality.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Koesj posted:

The only counterflow system operational is on the A1 near Amsterdam although they're building another stretch on the A10 between the A8 and new A5 interchanges though. There aren't any on non motorway roads afaik.

There's one on the bridge from Rotterdam to Spijkenisse. http://g.co/maps/k9hx8

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm surprised the road looks like it's in fairly decent condition. For Belgian standards, anyway.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Building extensive roads and aqueducts is the best thing about Minecraft. If only you could disable creepers :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Today I found out that there's no grace period in Barcelona when a trafic light switches to red. It's really instantaneously green on the sides.

That was some fun biking.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

John Dough posted:

And then there is Denmark with it's own crazy design:

They have similar trains in Belgium.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

This is true, Europe in general is rather far behind in rail transport compared to the US:

"In the 1950s, the U.S. and Europe moved roughly the same percentage of freight by rail; but, by 2000, the share of U.S. rail freight was 38% while in Europe only 8% of freight traveled by rail.[3] In 1997, while U.S. trains moved 2,165 billion ton-kilometers of freight, the 15-nation European Union moved only 238 billion ton-kilometers of freight.[4]"

We have a lot of rivers, though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How would you fix it? Could you even fix any part of LA's traffic without carpet bombing?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I support this plan. What's Waterbridge like? It might be worth building a road between Middleport and Waterbridge, for fast travel through the entire state. Make it follow the deforested bits to cut down on building costs, I suppose.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Koesj, tell us more about the tramline plans in Groningen :allears:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A through station would be best. The three-way union station (where one direction would be a terminus until we can build a bridge across the Fukov) looks good.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sure, on the short term it's less destructive, but a central city like New Sanctum really needs a through station. It's far more efficient.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Munin posted:

Actually never mind we want through stations if possible. I don't think most trains are reversible in a similar way the modern ones are. IIRC they don't have locomotives at both ends.

Failure to think in period there... (again)

You can always detach the locomotive and re-attach it at the other end.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nielsm posted:

Dunno, could anyone be crazy enough to build a new shipping port south of New Sanctum and a railroad to it?

Does the Fukov lead to any major industrial cities? Could have something like the Maasvlakte.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cool Danish urban planning but I imagine it'd really suck if one of the routes got blocked. Although I'm sure they can secretly lift-off.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Some pretty cool research done in Massachusetts. It's not just bad things there!!
Understanding Road Usage Patterns in Urban Areas

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, cell tower location data isn't all too precise. If you have my cell information, you might have a square kilometer where I live, and a square kilometer where I work, but you won't have an accurate location without additional information. It's not GREAT anonymity, but it's not like they can say "This call here started at 751 Jerk Road and ended at 1 Porkbarrel Plaza" with any sort of confidence.

http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention

"Green party politician Malte Spitz sued to have German telecoms giant Deutsche Telekom hand over six months of his phone data that he then made available to ZEIT ONLINE. We combined this geolocation data with information relating to his life as a politician, such as Twitter feeds, blog entries and websites, all of which is all freely available on the internet.

By pushing the play button, you will set off on a trip through Malte Spitz's life. The speed controller allows you to adjust how fast you travel, the pause button will let you stop at interesting points. In addition, a calendar at the bottom shows when he was in a particular location and can be used to jump to a specific time period. Each column corresponds to one day."

Cell phone tower data is pretty drat accurate. Combine it with other information and it gets really creepy really fast.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

uapyro posted:

They obviously are all using GPS to find their destination, and have it set to shortest distance instead of shortest time.
People are already protesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d0b41H-Lnk

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cyclists are ruining NYC :argh:

http://live.wsj.com/video/opinion-death-by-bicycle/C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D.html#!C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jonnty posted:

There's been talk that, once the massive investment in renewing everything is finished, it might become feasible to use the London Underground for limited freight transport at night. Of course people would probably complain that they should use it for passengers first, and actually getting it out there efficiently would probably be very annoying without lots of investment, but it's an interesting thought.

I think people are more likely to complain about the noise, if they live near the Tube.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why not build a pedestrian bridge for a road that size?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A flying boat. Bravo, Germany, bravo.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Red is the only proper colour for bicycle lanes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Koesj posted:

I don't see them in my country though and I think they're prohibited (not sure though).

I don't think they're prohibited, there are a lot of roundabouts where the centre is raised to the point where you can't see the other side. Or poo poo like this.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

But it worked fine in SimTower...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

grover posted:

how are you supposed to carry an entire cartload of groceries on a bus? How do you cope? Many small trips limited to what you can carry?

You can order groceries online and get them delivered to your kitchen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Here is a neat map with details where the accidents happened in the Netherlands, who was involved and what caused the accident. In my street there are an awful lot of delivery vans hitting people because they didn't give right of way (which isn't surprising).

Oh, it's in Dutch, but personenauto = car, vrachtauto = truck, fiets = bicycle, bromfiets = moped and bestelauto = delivery van.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Oh, yeah, a link would help: http://ongelukken.staanhier.nl/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Helmets don't prevent accidents (and are for wusses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NihilismNow posted:

Something bizarre like 25% of the office space square meters in the country are permanently vacant.

15% and mostly older buildings. But hey, it's too expensive to tear them down, so let's leave them vacant.