Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

James The 1st posted:

You can see the positive affects of transit in Dallas. Pretty much everywhere the DART light rail is built is having major mutiuse developments being built. What's really cool is that many of these areas were once considered dead, but they are now thriving.

I have to plug this just because I'm working for them, but don't forget the McKinney Avenue Transit Authority in uptown Dallas. The city abandoned their streetcar system in 1956. In the '80s, somebody found original rails that had been paved over on McKinney Avenue and decided to rebuild a couple of original early 20th streetcars (two of which were from Dallas to begin with) and run them as a cool little museum/tourist attraction.

Today, the area is absolutely BOOMING. MATA has four operating cars available, an additional one being rebuilt (it got hit by a cement truck last summer), and a sixth one they bought from Brussels that they're holding off on until they can build another car barn. They're also working on and extension that should be open later this year that will provide a second direct connection to DART light rail and busses.

I'm returning to MATA after a hiatus on March 31 and I'm so excited by all of this growth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Varance posted:

BTW, if you're into transit and work at a transit authority, you owe it to yourself to go after Transportation Safety Institute (TSI) training. It does wonders for your career, and you end up with an alphabet soup after your name: Your Name Here, TSSP, PTSCTP, and eventually WSO-CSS/CSSD/CSM/etc.. Besides being extremely informative, you get to do some very unique stuff that you wouldn't otherwise do unless you're in a safety/security role, like audit someone else's rail stations/yards and investigate accidents with the NTSB. TSI also offers quite a few infrastructure design courses that focus on building safe/secure transit infrastructure, and the Federal Transit Administration is more or less signing off on your ability and knowledge when you pass them.

Any courses in particular that you could recommend for a rail operator that wants to move up into training or safety?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Fuckin' dope, my dude. I sure appreciate the insight and I'm going to start digging in to this. Training is my first choice, but lord only knows when another opening in that department will open up at my agency. Hopefully that'll give me time to prepare.

EDIT: It looks like these courses are hosted at every major agency in my state EXCEPT mine. I wonder why they aren't being hosted here... :tinfoil:

Tex Avery fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 5, 2020