Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Still on page 64. This thread is great though.

I saw this roundabout death trap in Taiwan. https://maps.google.com/?ll=25.037966,121.54892&spn=0.00278,0.004823&t=w&z=18 (Or maybe a traffic circle death trap?)

East - West name: 3rd Blvd
North - South name: 12th Ave

Is there a reason they would make a roundabout inside a roundabout, or was it just a bad idea from the beginning?

mamosodiumku fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Ninja edit: Looks like they also have the bike boxes, but for motorbikes?

The boxes are for motorbikes. Apprently they put those in since motorbikes can squeeze themselves to the front regardless and get a better start when the light turns green. Less car vs motorbike accidents this way (or so they say).

On a side note, motorbikes are banned from the inner roundabout (from the writting on the street). Now that I think about it, maybe that's why they have two rings.

Edit: Also, motorbike galore!

Cichlidae posted:

The pavement quality there is AMAZING. It could just be the way the satellite photos are processed, but it appears Taiwan isn't afraid to spend money keeping their roads in good shape.

Having temperatures in the 20~35C range all year probably helps. But you should see the freeways. They've paved those as well as the autobahn. It's unfortunate they have speed cameras everywhere.

Is there a name for that kind of crazy roundabout?

mamosodiumku fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 2, 2012

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
I saw a one light signal in Chengdu, China. There was some discussion back on P71.

It appeared to work well (i.e. all the traffic I saw obeyed the signals).

They also have a seperate signal for just cyclists. How many cyclists would a road need to carry before you'd consider giving them their own signal? Or would it be better to just have cyclists obey the normal signals regardless of the number of cyclists?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

grover posted:

How does the Tokyo subway deal with delays on their Oedo Line loop? I've ridden it many times (always the eastern half) and always thought it continued in a loop at Tochomae, but now I'm wondering.

Legible copy:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf
When I was in japan, they just let the trains run late. A train was 20 min late on the Osaka loop line when I went. The station staff made an announcement about this then updated the marquee to say how late the train would be.
Here's a picture of the marquee and people waiting:

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Build a canal between Boltic and Opiantic for the short section that's not currently marked as navigable.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Would a canal linking Boltic and New Dublin make money? Feels like ship traffic can take the NewDublin-Opiantic-Boltic route already. Assuming water freight in the 1800s is like it is now, extra time/distance will not add much to transport costs.

Also, I propose the addition of a scale bar to the maps for easier reference :D

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Make a rail link for Waterbridge-New Heartshire-Interstate along side the turnpike that's there.

How does interstate commerce work here?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
I propose the same Waterbridge-New Heartshire-Interstate along side the turnpike again.

And then a question: are rail tunnels through mountains allowed?

mamosodiumku fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 3, 2012

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Koesj posted:

gently caress Photoshop.

I vote for this design. It gives enough room to add extra platforms later. Just need to make sure the city or rail companies obtain the appropriate right of way before people decide to box the station in.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
There isn't a scale bar on the mat, but I believe a switch yard should have more length of straight track. So I propose that the station be changed so that rail traffic can travel straight through.

Something like this:

*Switch yard should have more than 4 tracks. Buildings/roads can be moved/realigned if there is not enough space.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Build rail from Chenchester-Boltic-New Dublin. Export those luxury goods!

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

quote:

Viaducts viaducts

Can rail be moved underground or is the ventilation know how not quite there yet?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Stole Jaguars's image.

1) Added a road on the east bank of the river (in dark red) to complete the levee.
Not sure whether it should be a grade separated crossing, though, since to have the levee both the road and tracks would already be elevated. Same with the crossing on the other side. Maybe the roads on top of levees should be discontinuous across rail for now.

2) Lets add a roundabout!

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
uhhh... I mean connect all the roads into a circular road. Like that thing they built in New Cork recently.

Unrelated:

Is this graph saying that traffic is horrible from 7am to 11am for that stretch of raod? Came from this pdf: http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/34000/34000/34065/10.1.1.112.4428_1_.pdf

mamosodiumku fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 19, 2012

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

wdarkk posted:

How dangerous are golf balls to turbines?

Not ridiculously dangerous since the turbines are rated against bird strikes. But it'll be pricey and won't be fun for the pilot or passengers.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
So a road tunnel that recently underwent an inspection collapsed in Japan. Do you think something similar may happen to a US road tunnel with the age of the infrastructure here?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Can preemption work on timer only systems in cities? If it can, how do they deal with that when they have the pedestrian timers counting down?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Here's the original map:

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
How many bridges over the big river are allowed?

Also looks like there is a ton of interstate traffic.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

I tried to:
1) Offer low volume routes as alternatives to high volume routes.
2) Make more connections to low volume bridges.
3) Ring roads.

I'm not sure about the extra interstate route from Winchester. Maybe it should be closer to the existing route that runs through Winton.

Is there nothing to the left of G1 between Middleport and Hartshire because it's a flood plain?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
I saw them building a bypass of some kind in Taiwan.

How come they're building with steel and not concrete?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
What would you do if a one lane road has large straight and left turning volumes? Expanding the road is not an option. Left turn traffic gets blocked by straight traffic when both dedicated lefts are green and straight traffic gets blocked by left turn traffic when both straight lights are green. It takes about 20 minutes to cross this intersection in a car during rush hour.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/8JBgs
Street view: http://goo.gl/maps/W1hMH

Why is the dedicated right arrow green when the pedestrian light is also green? I have no idea...

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

wolrah posted:

Looked for some more info on this and I think you may have combined two separate crashes.

The photos seem to be from a 2005 incident where a truck carrying 35,000 lbs of explosives flipped and exploded, then your description fits this one from 2006 where a tanker flipped and burned but didn't crater the road.

According to the article, both incidents occurred at mile marker 191. Does that mean there might be something fundamentally flawed with the road design there?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

grover posted:

Japan is a great example, where large swaths of the population have access both to excellent roads and excellent mass transit.

Rail is amazing in Japan. You're never much more than a 10 minute walk from a rail station in the cities.

They also have this level crossing:

http://goo.gl/maps/I1cHk

The crossing gates can be down for over 15 minutes.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

grover posted:

I usually push it, get impatient, and then jaywalk during a break in traffic. Then, a few minutes later, traffic is stopped unnecessarily. Shame the systems aren't smart enough to recognize natural breaks in traffic and trigger on that. Or realize when the people that hit the button already crossed.

When I went to Korea they let you press the ped crossing button twice once you got across again to cancel the ped phase. You'd press the button once and wait for the ped signal to turn green, cross, then press the button twice on the other side to turn the ped signal red again. Thought that was pretty clever.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Cichlidae posted:

Do you know what they do when you show up late for BMG?

I recall you bringing this up earlier. So what does happen when you show up late for the blue man group..?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
There is a section where Edwards Mill Rd merges with Wade Ave extension. There is also a lane drop shortly after the merge. I'll guess that lane drop slows down the right most lane. Then that slowness bleeds into the left lane, from people jumping out of the right lane to avoid the merging traffic, until all the lanes are going as slow as the right most lane.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

nm posted:

Don't know about the rules where you live, but in California in a road with 1 left turn lane, the left turning driver and enter any lane.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/turns.htm

The DMV site says: To make a U-turn, signal and use the far left lane or the center left turn lane. You may make a legal U-turn:

1) Across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal.

Are they saying something like this is allowed?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
That is one long list of exceptions to the legal u-turns section.

Now I'm not sure where it is legal to make u-turns listed under the legal u-turns section. The locations listed under the exceptions cover just about everywhere save roads through the middle of nowhere.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Install Gentoo posted:

High speed rail is for things where you're making few stops and covering long distances. There's no point to getting up to 150+ miles per hour when you're only going 30 miles, especially not if you're going to have one stop in between let alone many. 80-100 mph conventional rail is plenty for that.

Edit:
For example, Japan has some trains that can manage to accelerate to 300 kilometers per hour/185 miles per hour in 3 minutes. Thing is that takes up roughly 5 miles of track to do, and you need a further 5 miles to slow down to 0 for a station stop (it can brake faster but it'll be quite uncomfortable for the passengers). So if you have a station every 10 miles then you're at cruising speed for exactly no time at all. Anything closer together than that and you don't even reach the cruising speed.
For reference: They run three types of high speed trains on the Tokyo to Hakata route called Kodama, Hikari, and Nozomi.

Time to go to the half way point* (Distance = 515.4km),
Kodama: 18 Stops @ 3.9hrs
Hikari: 09 Stops @ 3.0hrs
Nozomi: 07 Stops @ 2.5hrs

*They use different rolling stocks for each of the trains. Though it wouldn't be possible for the Kodama trains to reach top speed anyways...
(Time table)

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Is there an optimal separation distance for bus stops? I rode the bus in downtown LA and stops are within two or three minutes walking distance of each other. A trip that would normally take five minutes driving would take fifteen minutes even when the bus can skip a few stops.

Here's a google maps link because the other map doesn't have a scale bar. The diagonal distance is a bit over one mile.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

Cichlidae posted:

Four freeways, worst-case positioning, full access, zero weaving. I don't even know where to go from here. I could make it more compact, in theory, but something like this would never in a million years get built.

Introduce this restriction: a) Interchanges shall be routed only on the outside of the square delineated by the four freeways.

And you'll have fixed Los Angeles, if you keep the full access, zero weaving.

mamosodiumku fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 20, 2013

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
How much more capacity would people be able to squeeze out of the current infrastructure if we were suddenly able to all have self driving cars? Some roads feel so packed that even self driving cars wouldn't be able to rid it of traffic jams.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Who decides how drainage should work on the roads? Are there special things you do to to prevent the road from flooding when it rains?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
How would signalling work in the magic roundabout?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Are there rules for how a utility should repave a road after they dig it up? The quality of the repaving seems to vary drastically. There's one spot where there are tire marks on the section of road they filled in.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Wow. What is that powering?

Also, I don't think PVC likes being out in the sun very much.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
What do you think of this plan for a 76 mile under sea tunnel?

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
What is the cost difference between this and a full tunnel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
That bus accident in Italy where a bus crashed and fell into a ravine -- How much punishment are the guard rails usually designed to take?