Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Entropist posted:

I think people hit all of them just in case, I've seen Germans do that too, unless they know the place well I guess.
edit: I'll alert a German thread to this pressing issue.

Well it depends on the purpose of the traffic light, some lights are on a set schedule or get controlled centrally. Those can have buttons to increase the noise/activate it for blind people.

Some Trafic lights only change their colors IF the button is pressed, but you only see that lights on low traffic areas. Personally I got one On demand Traffic light on my daily route which is only used to allow people cross the street at a Busstop close to a big furniture store (IKEA). It's only needed during the evenings when traffic picks up AND a lot of people may arrive at the Bus stop.

To sum it up: Never not press the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well the netherlands have the additional advantage of having a lot mory cyclists. Thus more people who drive cars are also cyclists now and then in addition to being used to having more cyclists on the street.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well if that system is really smart (and has enough sensors) it could only use this option when the current red light has cars waiting behind it. Thus if no one is waiting for a green signal it would wait for the junction to clear. I guess having movement sensors cover the junction wouldn't be a bad in any case. Though I have no clue if such a smart junction wouldn't drive costs through the roof.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Entropist posted:

In Germany, when there is a conflict like this I've seen an extra yellow flashing light mounted next to the rightmost signal or right-turning signal, which only flashes when both peds and turning cars have a green light.

You'd have something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/ypntZ

Red box: Pedestrian lights and flashing yellow signal for car traffic to warn them when the Pedestrians have a green light.
Green Box:
-Upper light (yellow-arrow flashing) warns of oncoming traffic having green
-Lower light (green-arrow) goes on when opposing traffic and pedestrians have red

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I wonder if some of you might find this game interesting: http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/

quote:

Mini Metro is an upcoming minimalistic subway layout game. Your small city starts with only three unconnected stations. Your task is to draw routes between the stations to connect them with subway lines. Everything but the line layout is handled automatically; trains run along the lines as quickly as they can, and the commuters decide which trains to board and where to make transfers.

However the city is constantly growing, along with the transport needs of its population. How long can you keep the subway system running before it grinds to a halt?

Mini Metro is coming to PC, Mac, Linux, iPad, and Android tablets in early 2014. In the mean time, give the alpha version below a whirl and let us know what you think!

Please note that we're getting a little swamped with feedback. We will read it all but a reply may take some time!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

Slowest reaction time is about 5 seconds for the old farts we still somehow let drive. Not to worry, though, there are new records being set: recent surveys show that teens think it's ok to divert their attention from the road for up to 10 seconds with no ill effects.

Recently the german police filmed a truck driver (40 ton) who at the same time: Drank a coffee (right hand), smoked (left hand) had a phone call (jammed between his ear and shoulder) and also drove his truck. You can't expect him to multitask this many actions and have a good reaction time? I guess you might expect him to stop, which is what the police did. They also removed his burden of having to drive a truck (for quite some time) and also had the company send another driver to pickup the truck.

They are using motor caravans for this and filming out of the back window.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

That's actually an art project not actual traffic. It was in a tv report a while back. Everything was filmed sperately and then cut together.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Jonnty posted:

The other side of this is that making a small mistake in an urban environment should not have routinely fatal consequences. There's a balance to be struck.

If you're driving at 50 kph or slower, the odds for death being the result for a person walking into your car is a lot lower than if you're driving 60 kph.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

I guess he likes his balls (and dick) getting hit.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
While we're at Driver training. The programm "accompanied driving" was a big sucess in Germany. Summary: You can drive when turning 17, instead of 18, but you may only drive in the presence of an adult with a license (30+, and some other conditions). Result: 28.5% less accidents. In 2008 33% of all driver tests were of the "accompanied" driving thing.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begleitetes_Fahren (german and french only).

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 21, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well you still have to do the required minimum of 18 hours of normal driving with a Driving Teacher. And a certain amount of hours of special driving (Autobahn, City, Highway). Which amounts to at 12 additional hours. Though most people will have more normal driving hours. ~30 is normal. And there is a theory test and practical test. The practical test is about 45 minutes with a list of maneuvers out of which a certain number are required to perform.
Some people in my school class had 3 tries until they achieved that. I think the total cost for the permit + tests is around 1,500 € nowadays. And that's just for normal cars, with a limit on the weight of a trailer you'd be allowed to pull.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Since those autonomous vehicles will have "a few" sensors. Automatically record 360° camera footage during emergency situations. Think of it as an automatic dashcan for use in insuarance claims. Thus every driver can easily prove that naughty boy/girl X broke the law. Thanks to nearly every idiot being on facebook and image recognition software, fining might be possible. Also say goodbye to any sort of private data.
I guess storing telemetry in emergency situations will be in the interest of the car production company. To prove that their system wasn't at fault. So I guess this is bound be on board.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

Nothing concerted. It'd be tantamount to political suicide to enact anything that would affect seniors. On the other end of the age spectrum, I'd love to be able to say that driver's ed is better than ever, but it's clearly still terrible compared to Europe and I'd wager the increase in distracted driving has wiped out any safety benefits.

Well the driver license requirements in for example Germany (1950/60s) was similar to what it is now in the USA. Everyone was allowed to keep their license when the new requirements were stricter.
A couple of years back a normal drivers license allowed anyone who passed it in a normal car to drive trucks up to 7.5tons. Someone who made their license in the 60s was allowed to drive up to 40tons. Nowadays a normal passenger car license is restricted to vehicles of up to 3.5 tons.
The only reasonable way to go about it is to slowly increase requirements for new licenses. And then hope that peer and social pressure will change the behaviour of older drivers.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

mamosodiumku posted:

Faster speeds feel more important when you have to drive a few hundred miles. If you only have to drive 20 miles, I feel driving slower doesn't really make much of a difference.

I'll give an example:
Traveling 20 miles at 120 miles per hour (Autobahn, I guess?) takes 10 minutes.
Traveling 20 miles at 75 miles per hour (Normal highway) takes 16 minutes.
Traveling 20 miles at 60 miles per hour (Slight traffic) takes 20 minutes.

The time difference between ludicrous speed and slightly below the speed limit is only 10 minutes.

In my personal experience, driving to work you'll do about 50 to 90 mph (rarely) on the Autobahn, when driving to work. Just because there is no speed limit, doesn't mean traffic won't slow everything down.

That depends where you live in Germany. In rural areas you can actually go above 90 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

sleepy.eyes posted:

So, there is a major road near me that has a dual right turn to deal with rush hour traffic. The thing is, there is also a "no turn" LED sign that isn't always used, even then the right turn signal is red. Why? I just don't get it. You have a red right turn arrow, so why would you need a separate sign to tell you not to turn right on red? This is Florida, US if it matters.
I'm not from the US, but could the bolded part be the answer?