Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
If you want to see some magic, the next time I'm in China I'll try and record how they intermix "optional" lights on a semi-busy street (only 4 lanes each way) while having half the intersection closed due to construction as well as pedestrians crossing whenever they feel like it (pausing between vehicles even), and scooters going every direction (mostly the wrong way) in Wuhan, China. Much more insane traffic than Shanghai or Beijing. Oh, and everyone uses everything else as a shield. Have a scooter crossing? Once he jumps in front of a car, all the peds start crossing too, even if huge amount of traffic traveling at high speeds. The cars will either stop, hit you, or go around you without slowing down.

And yeah, bikes in most cities have fallen off. Scooters are the #1 mode of transportation now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

NihilismNow posted:

But a lot of people don't use GPS. I am one of them. I prefer to know how the road network is laid out and use the signs a lot.
When traveling in new locations, I use GPS all the time. But you know what, I use it as a suggest more than half the time because roadworks love to do stupid fuckary. Going through LA is horrible with it, I remember my old TomTom used to think every exit was a major intersection and told me to "keep left" at every single exit when I was just traveling through and my next real exit was 100 miles away. Or Google Navigation being a little too easy-going and not telling me when the roadway splits and I need to be on either the left or right hand side to stay on my interstate.

GPS is nice as a backup, but road signs are king for navigation. My GPS may say I get off in an exit in 200 miles, but in between may be little gotchas that could cause me to go down the wrong path if I'm not reading road signs.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Sloober posted:

Although I think there is a provision for going through stop signs without stopping if there is no traffic.

I prefer to think of bicyclist as being the same as a motorcycle at stop signs. If there is no traffic, slow down to almost a walking pace, then continue through. Don't need to touch the ground with your feet, but you should reach at least <5mph speeds by the time you pass through the stop sign.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Jonnty posted:

Is this purely aimed at US drivers - do you really not have roads where you're unlikely to want to go at the speed limit all (or even some of) the time?

Think of every road in the USA signed as if a land boat with bad brakes is driving in heavy rain during a fog, and the mayor lived on that road and lets his kids play street hockey in the road during those same conditions.

Plus a bunch of states (east coast a lot) just straight up have a low state maximum speed limit. A road that could easily have a 65 MPH limit are instead restricted to 55. Thus the average flow of cars is the minority of people who actually drive at/below the limit (and pass other people at/below the speed limit or stay in the center/left lane), and those that drive a minimum of 10+ over the limit.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If in the US people started to get tickets for speeding based upon toll data, I'd bet you'd get a ton of toll cheaters overnight. The revenue lost from toll cheaters would probably be more than revenue gained from speeding tickets issued.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

How do you cheat the toll? Are there places where you can go around the booths or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBHhdd9uaAc

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

pun pundit posted:

Being allowed to turn right on a red signal seems deeply wrong to me. In Norway it is not allowed. How common is it outside the US?

The US is even more messed up than you think. Some places you can't unless a sign says you can (NYC), some places you can't if it has a red arrow light, and some places let you turn right on red, even with a red arrow on, as long as there isn't a sign stating you can't.

I got passed by a semi truck on the left at an intersection with two right turning lanes when I was in the right most lane with a red arrow light on. I was like "wtf" so I looked up that state's laws and apparently that is fine unless there is a sign say no right turns on red. That just feels so wrong to me that I'm not going to do it as I'm not in those states very often and I don't want to be in a bad habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

One cool thing I've noticed being rolled out in Toronto is that the walk lights at some intersections go on before the green for traffic.

NYC does this too throughout the city at what seems like random intersections. I've also noticed that some taxis have learned this behavior and know they can run the red light longer at the cross street. And tourist can't understand tens of different lights at one intersection, which means they'll go through the red light because the crosswalk light turned on. And cars further back see the crosswalk light on and begin honking because they think the front car isn't moving on the green light.