Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just got through all 132 pages of this thread. Awesome stuff Cichlidae!

As an aside but still on topic, the stretch of road two miles between my house and my parents' has 7 stop signs and 1 traffic light.

The light is warranted as it's the main avenue through my suburbia but only maybe 2-3 stop signs are really warranted given the traffic on the side streets. The rest are all measures to slow traffic (appease the old folks in the major assisted living home, keep traffic from picking up speed as they see the end of the road ahead, slow down traffic at the bottom of a small hill).

It's infuriating but can't really do anything else as roundabouts are impractical for your typical suburbia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Varance posted:

St. Petersburg politicians don't have the backbone to do what's right for the greater good, mainly due to Pinellas having equal amounts of blue and red voters. They've brought it up a few times, but instantly cave whenever someone brings up opposition. Tea Party members are already campaigning against Light Rail in its planning phase, because they'd rather see the entire county covered in toll expressways to replace funding provided by the $0.01 road improvement sales tax. Replacing/covering the Pinellas Trail with Light Rail would just add fuel to their bonfire. :downs:

Anyway, this is the same cadre of politicians that are threatening to sue the City of Tampa if they even talk to the Tampa Bay Rays about a new stadium, despite the fact that The Trop is a depressing shithole that will force the team to move if they can't get a better/more centralized facility. They also refused to pay for maintenance upkeep of their half of the Friendship Trailbridge (a disused span of the Gandy Bridge/US92 over Tampa Bay), which is now closed and slated for demolition over safety concerns. A new trail is opening up across the Courtney Campbell Causeway (SR60) next year, but that's 15 miles away on the Pinellas side - made longer by the lack of bicycle accommodations over the Bayside Bridge.

E: The expressways they propose are US A19 as an extension of I-375, Courtney Campbell as I-475, US 19 as I-575 and Bryan Dairy/Gandy as I-775. In other words, they want the county to be even more like Detroit, with all the wealth continuing to drain into Tampa and Sarasota.

I'm really glad I don't live in Pinellas County anymore.

On the other hand, I moved back to the Chicago area :downsgun:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Terminal Entropy posted:

You left out adjacent traffic going in opposite directions, as well as two bikes lanes surrounding and surrounded by traffic, ditto with the pedestrian lanes:

All flanked by water with no guardrails

Needs a Hyperloop.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

That said, not all designers seem to really "get" them:

Yes, every single approach to that roundabout has a stop sign. :psyduck:

I could drive through this on my commute but it's so god awful and people are so dumb that I actively avoid it at all costs.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cheese-cube posted:

The mole-people are gonna be pissed.

Behold, the Underminer! It dwarfs your pitful borer!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So this circle is supposedly slated for a makeover soon.

Maps link

It's come up before in this thread for being terrible (the article's title shares it's nickname, Suicide Circle, which is also funny because it rarely causes fatal accidents. Just lots of fender benders) and it's a huge sore on that area. I will drive around it whenever possible and so will anyone else who doesn't have to.

Hopefully proper signage, sign placement, education, and routing will turn it into a proper roundabout. I do love this quote from the Trib article that perfectly captures this thread:

quote:

"As a country, we're sometimes late to adopt," said Brian Ray, senior principle engineer at Kittelson and Associates, a firm that has led roundabout research projects for the Federal Highway Administration.

Also, :laffo: at some serious Stockholm-syndrome poo poo going on:

quote:

In the past, IDOT proposed adding stoplights to each entry point or closing off access to the circle from State or Broadway streets. But each time, residents voiced opposition.

"It's just a defining landmark," said Des Plaines Ald. Joanna Sojka, whose 7th Ward includes Cumberland Circle. "Almost everyone in the northwest suburbs knows where Cumberland Circle is."

A defining landmark of awfulness. Like a giant boil.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 26, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Even though I lived in Seminole for a bit, I don't quite know the answer to this:

Why doesn't FDOT have the authority to expand the transit networks unilaterally in the name of hurricane evac? Or is it something they reserve only for when NIMBY becomes too much of a problem?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Varance posted:

Mwahahahaha! Now you understand my pain. Our traffic engineers are loving insane.

Hillsborough County is about to go Palatine Road on Fowler Ave, adding express lanes to an at-grade arterial. :getin:

I can't tell if you are stoked about this or not. Palatine road is weird in that everyone plays the game of "which light is going to turn green first, do I stay in the express or get off to bypass everyone if the timing is perfect". It works, I suppose but I know plenty of people who actively avoid it.

Also, are you secretly me or something in referencing several places I've lived (Pinellas and Cook counties)????

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Install Windows posted:

One thing I find amusing is that the two places you find rigid grid systems is ancient civilizations and places built post-1600 or so. From the Middle Ages up to the early modern era, cities and towns reverted to utterly ad-hoc crowded up systems. Even some place like boston was still relatively planned out, and its layout of core streets makes a lot sense when you remember:

(Old Boston is the landmass that actually existed at settlement time, New Boston is all the land that was built by leveling hills to fill in the watery areas)

I want to say this has something to do with the development of walled cities throughout Europe during the transition from late-antiquity to the early-middle ages. At least for european civs, it stems from the change in Roman defensive postures in the 2nd through 4th centuries.

And then European cities just didn't grow out as the western roman empire continued to give way but they'd still grow within the already established walls.

But once centralized states start becoming a thing again in Europe post-1600s, you get urban growth beyond old medieval borders.
[/history chat]

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 2, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Washington Post's Wonkblog had an article this weekend about Chicago's transit system and the pie-in-the-sky plan to revamp it from the hub and spoke model to something more flexible.

Here are the relevant maps. Chicago's current subway/'El' lines:

And the proposed extensions and crosslines:

To be combined with new bus lines with ROW, coordinated lights, and other bus improvements:

I guess if you are going to dream, might as well go big. As an area resident, it would be amazing to hop on one line and not have to go all the way downtown to transfer. But this is Chicago we're talking about. It'll take 5 times as long and twice the cost in bribes/kickbacks alone to make it happen. The article goes into a bit more about how it's possible for it to actually happen if circumstances fall into the right places.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, it feels like some of the roads in Chicago are currently devoid of any government support.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In order to inspire drivers to be cautious everywhere, all roadway impediments are now unmarked (shamelessly reposting a vid from the schadenfreude thread):

PaganGoatPants posted:

Not sure this really counts since this thing isn't marked AT ALL, but it's still hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUB3ORf8RM

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cichlidae posted:

That is very cool :)

Speaking of bikes, we had a presentation on bike sharing today. Seems like it's catching on very rapidly, but they mentioned that LA tried it out and it failed. Any idea why?

Aside from LA just being not bike friendly, it's also spread-out so you reach less destinations in a bike than you would in NYC or Boston.

Chicago has been expanding its Divvy bike sharing service in recent years and if you want an example of how bike sharing can sputter even in big cities, it's right here. Chicago has bike lanes but they aren't proper lanes and they aren't everywhere people want to go yet. So that's holding it back from say the adoption rates in NYC.

That said, it's still expanding so maybe the infrastructure/bike laws will eventually catch up to a growing bike-friendly culture.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Anyway gas has plummeted to $2.57 a gallon this week here in Virginia, no idea why that's going on.

The US is pumping a poo poo ton of oil into the market is what's happening.

Oil and gas companies have invested something like 2.5 trillion dollars into fracking over the last 5 or so years and now we've got a glut of both.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Man that's really sad how most people had absolutely figured out what a disaster auto-centric cities would become but even with public outcry the automakers managed to just buy the right politicians and wage a propaganda war, then change cities so that driving is the only options and now you have 30-40 THOUSAND people killed each year in the US alone due to horrible city planning.

At least the number of total traffic related deaths is going down despite driving and population going up. It peaked at about 50k deaths a year in the 70's and has been slowly going down since. I wonder how much of that is due simply to the increasing safety of cars and the war on pedestrians being basically won in much of the continent. Despite the number of traffic deaths going down, the percentage of traffic deaths of pedestrians hit by cars vs car-on-car crashes has actually gone up, which is alarming. In many cases traffic engineering will sacrifice pedestrian safety to increase vehicle safety as the goal is to simply reduce overall deaths.

Maybe one day we'll take back the streets, at least in cities.

I want to say that a major dent was put in the annual traffic fatality numbers once a majority of states passed mandatory seatbelt laws and pushed hard on enforcement. I believe it was the major factor in the declines although the combination of increased mandatory safety equipment including seat belts, air bags, ABS, crumple zones, and electronic stability control together probably account for the rest.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Everytime this thread comes around to why Americans can't handle roundabouts, I think of this intersection nearby:

Stop signs, no guidance on which lane goes where and divided local lanes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So I know other countries have different standards when it comes to traffic infrastructure but what kind of forces are we talking about in this video from Saudi Arabia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qbakrb9KJ4

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
This came up in the Chicago thread but it hits a lot of themes of this thread: traffic management, the inability of anyone to plan for the conditions 30-40 years from now, non-existant pieces of highway systems leading to current gridlock, and traffic flows.

How do the reversible lanes on Chicago's Kennedy Expressway work?

The article has a bonus video on how IDOT actually triggers the lane reversals. My first thought is always pandemonium. There are, of course, smarter people than I to think about these things.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Glimpse is the key word there.

You don't get the run an intersection like that until every vehicle on the road is autonomous which is a bit unrealistic.

Every future I've seen described almost always includes a subset of drivers who own their cars and drive it without autonomous functionality. There's no way to incorporate this future into an intersection like this.

I could maybe see it in cities that restrict vehicle traffic to autonomous cars in their downtown areas but that'd be a very limited deployment.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The express/HOV lanes being converted to autonomous-only is pretty likely. As is insurance companies charging a fuckload more to drivers using non-autonomous vehicles.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

sleepy.eyes posted:

Okay, another question. On the main drag near my place the speed limit is 45. It stays there for a couple miles, then it goes down to 40, and a few blocks later it goes to 45 again. There isn't a school where the dip occurred​, it's just more strip malls. Why might this be?

It's called a speed trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Stolen from the gif thread

https://i.imgur.com/hRbEa0r.mp4