Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
What do you think of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Interesting, thanks for your response!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Hell you're better off than we are, our DOT ran out of funding last month and is only acting in an "advisory capacity" to municipalities - no more direct work this year. GREAT! I'm SOOOOOO glad we spend trillions on blowing poo poo up in other nations when our loving roadways are falling apart and we lose 60% of the water we process to leaks.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

quote:

Motorists, police officials said, should not enter an intersection unless they can drive completely through the intersection and not obstruct other vehicles or pedestrians.

OMFG I wish people loving understood this. I cannot tell you how many times I've been yelled at for refusing to enter an intersection on a green light because there was no existing clearance for me at the opposite end, nor was traffic proceeding in a manner in which I might obtain such clearance prior to the end of the light cycle.

If you can't get through the intersection, do not loving enter it! Exceptions only for left-hand turns.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Choadmaster posted:

C) (Unrelated, I just thought of this one) When there's more than enough curb space between two driveways for 2 cars, and some rear end in a top hat has parked right smack in the middle, leaving half a car length free in front and behind. Pure douche.

My eyes are bleeding in rage. I used to carry a wax pen in my backpack so that I could clearly mark for people on their vehicle itself where the parking places were.

quote:

Sesame Street has lots of drawbridges?

The layout is really confusing, why do you think people are always asking how to get there?

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
You guys might like this thread about building a bridge over at reddit.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
It's really, really, really pathetic that we can find a trillion a year to blow poo poo up, but we are laying off DOTs all across the nation while our roads crumble and our bridges collapse. A GODDAMNED SHAME!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Actually, I could put you in touch with a representative from Bahrain who was looking for contractors for a Qatar highway job they're doing. Message me if you want her info.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
You know what really burns my rear end? They're doing a minor parking lot expansion on campus, only about 15' x 100', and they contracted KBR to do it. Yeah, m'f'n KBR, the "we defraud the FedGov like it's going out of style while raping our employees and locking them in shipping containers" KBR.

The worst part? I watched them lay the concrete reinforcement grids today. The steel was completely coated with rust. There was no attempt to clean the steel, and they poured the concrete right onto the rusty reinforcement. Thanks you fraudulent rapists, that's gonna last.

The good news is they probably only charged five times what a non-fraudulent local company would have.

VV Not rebar my good man (which shouldn't be rusty anyway, note what Chiclidae said about epoxy coating) but mesh steel. VV

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 16, 2011

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

KozmoNaut posted:

Light surface rust on rebar or mesh steel reinforcing doesn't really matter that much for most projects. When the concrete sets, the low PH and oxygen poor environment prevents further rust from forming.

Yes, but pointing out that it probably won't really hurt doesn't exactly align with my rant, does it? ;)

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Our mile markers are at every 1/5th of a mile.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Around here, they built the airport in the middle of nowhere (MCI) north of Kansas City, 30 miles from town so that it wouldn't bother anyone. Predictably, a small town, Tiffany Springs, grew up around the airport. Now the residents of Tiffany Springs want to enact noise ordinances around the airport - the airport that was there before Tiffany Springs, and the people moved to Tiffany Springs to be near!

loving NIMBYs, don't move somewhere then complain about the pre-existing condition of the place you chose to move to!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

fishhooked posted:

Access management and roadway improvement requirements can vary vastly between state/county/cities. The county to the north of me has basically no access management or development codes. It's not uncommon to see driveways within 100' of each other on a 50mph 2-lane road, or seeing a 100+ housing development spill onto a 20' wide road (with no shoulders of course). Of course developers love building up in that county because they can half rear end infrastructure and sell houses for basically the same price.

Now the city I live in has developments codes and a long range transportation plan (LRTP) so developments are required to follow those.

Guessing Wyandotte & Lenexa, respectively.

edit: Oh hell, that's Kansas, you said MO. I was thinking those two because that's basically it, exactly, right across the state border. Changing guess to Platte / Blue Springs.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Bicyclists around here will blow through an intersection without even looking, and give you dirty looks if you honk at them for almost getting run over. loving morons - and they wonder why everyone hates them. You do not own the road, nobody does, and nobody cares for your safety but YOU!!!! Idiots.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Imgur was made to host for Reddit, who gets 2.5b pageviews a day. Imgur will definitely out-host tinypic!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Good job dude!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

then maybe I could get some of my more "exotic" designs built.

Such as?

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
If the Grandview Triangle had one more axis, it'd look like yours!

http://local.google.com/maps?ll=38.935244,-94.532204&spn=0.056195,0.115133&hl=en

Thank God I don't have to drive yours, btw. Nothing against you or it, of course, but drat, that's a little much to navigate!

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Did you ever design tracks in Stunts? I preferred the F1 for the glitch, so I'd design with that in mind and get some pretty wile stuff. That's what your last image reminds me of. The guy that wrote Stunts hangs out on reddit, actually.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Some guy around here made the GENIUS decision to split lanes at 70mph while weaving through traffic doing 50 due to construction. That fuckin guy... I'm all for motorcycles, but man, you really take your life in your hands that way, and you have to respect the risks you are taking.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Hey now, PubTrans was often privately run prior to the major GM buyouts in the, what, 30's, where they bought up the private tram, train, and bus lines and put them out of business to pressure uptake of private cars ownership? Public lines re-emerged after WWII in response to the shutdown and liquidation of private holdings.

Also, lots of cities have regulations against setting up "competing" private bus lines, so we don't know where private lines would run if not for the anti-competition regulations.

Furthermore, a private entity has no obligation to provide for every route, and would only run profitable routes, so it's entirely possible that a reallocation of routing would result in profitable lines, or at least, privately held lines where profitable. This is a reason for anti-compete regulations, to keep from having the public subsidize the non-profitable routes while a private entity makes a profit from the good ones.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
That, and the politics involved in setting the routes for a public trans system. As it happens in KC, the east-west black-white divide means that bus routes are heavily concentrated in the eastern part of the city, even though they could accommodate more passengers if they extended west a bit more - but politically, it becomes an "our bus system" issue for the black citizens to the east, and a "their bus system" issue for the white citizens to the west. This is obviously simplifying things considerably.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
You can't discount the independence aspect of private transportation. With public transportation, you don't have any control over the vehicle, schedule, or destination. With private transportation, you have some measure of control over what you ride in, where you go, and when. That is probably the biggest issue in most cities - people want to know that they have control over their transportation. I, for one, would much rather spend more to have a car and leave now than wait for some dirty old bus full of weirdos that's always late and requires three transfers and still only gets me two miles from my destination.

If we want widespread public transportation to be acceptable to the general public, we have to be able to arrive within a quarter or half mile of our destination, within five minutes of desiring to leave, with minimal transfers. In a city like Kansas City, that's a massive requirement.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Guys, you don't have to convince me, you have to convince the general public - especially the general public in cities that were largely designed for individual transportation.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah that is a basic networking issue, if you have a network with a set flow and add a link between them, the average time of traversal actually increases.

http://www.davros.org/science/roadparadox.html

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

We've got the same thing in Greenwich and Darien; it's not a poor people thing, just an old freeway thing. Then again, we just don't have the cash to go around fixing those ramps. Maybe the situation is different in CA?

We've got those ramps along 71 HWY through Kansas City... in the poor people areas. We've also got grade crossings with lights on 71 HWY which has kept 71 from becoming an interstate. The reason MODOT built the grade crossings on 71 is because it was going through a poor neighborhood and the population objected that it would divide the existing population, so the grade crossings were intended to make it more like a... something, gently caress if I know it makes no goddamned sense at all. MODOT knew it was a poo poo idea so we have all these dirt elevated sections surrounding the grade crossings which just-so-happen to be exactly what we'd need in place to remove the crossings and make over/under-passes. Also, there's a shitload of wrecks there, because, you know, it's a highway, with loving stoplights on it.

You can see the three crossings in question here

http://g.co/maps/zh7a9

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Install Gentoo posted:

you can even layer community parks over top.

If you notice, the central grass areas are actually designated as parks... which means little kids run across the three/four lane highway to get there! Aughhhhh!

Then we've got this little gem here http://g.co/maps/yt4q4

See that pedestrian bridge? At least once a week, I see someone crossing the offramps directly under the goddamn pedestrian bridge!* What the hell is wrong with people? You'd rather hop a four foot jersey barrier and dart through traffic than walk up a loving staircase? I can't believe nobody has been smeared into raspberry jam doing that yet. Just go up the goddamn stairs you asshats!

* Southwest Trafficway isn't exactly an on/offramp here but it's right where the highway exit becomes a surface street, basically the road ran where the highway does now, so the exit just turns into a road.

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 17, 2011

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
I sure hope he's taken a grinder to those edges and smoothed them.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Volmarias posted:

Can't you use eminent domain to force the issue? God knows that at this point you can't actually block it no matter whether the reason makes sense or is just out and out graft, so it seems like it would be a non-issue.

Try to do that, and instead of one old lady blocking you, you end up with 50 new people blocking you because of the philosophical offense of seizing private property. Eminent Domain without a public request due to blight only works if you don't give a poo poo about community cooperation ever again.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

washow posted:

How busted must the roads be before they get patched? Street in front of my house is busted as hell with quite a few potholes and recently it was patched but only one section of the road.

Do people have to complain like hell to the city to get it fixed? Also they always do a lovely job that they all get busted up again in a few months

Speaking from moderate ignorance, generally 2.5%-5% of coverage area needing care. And they do a lovely job because it's cheaper immediately than doing a good job, and pubworks is generally operating 'within the margins' that is, on a cash-flow basis and unable to make significant forward investments in improving service quality.

Also, the 'weathered steel' ones look like hell, like they just haven't been cared for. It never occurred to me that it was on purpose. That's like letting your car rust out because it looks better - no, it doesn't. They should just paint the damned things and/or seal them with lacquer or epoxy if they want 50 years of performance.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

Step 1: Write a complaint to whoever owns the road. Keep a copy for yourself, notarized.

Step 2: In a month, file a claim for car damage against them. It'll get paved pretty quick, and you can get your tires replaced and axles re-aligned!

I tried to do that in High School, when a pothole at the juncture of a paved state road and a gravel county road blew my tire - and each side claimed that I had to file against the other.

I tried to do this again a couple years ago, when a pothole in a turn lane broke my anti-sway bar... turning into the repair shop to get an inspection. The spot had at least six identifiable (by color) patches on and around it. The trick is, the City Attorney is the person who has the forms, and unless they choose to issue you a claim form, you're going to have to hire an attorney, which will cost more than the claim... you can see where this rotten hole leads.

I did once get out of a speeding ticket by tracking down MODOT condition analysis reports that gave a recommended limit 10MPH higher than posted, and prove that the posted limit was posted illegally according to MODOT regulation (which requires the posted limit to be the same as the recommended limit if a condition study is performed). Now that was a trick!

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 1, 2011

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Oh yeah I'd feel safe walking there at night... with the poor visibility and all those dark places for mal-intents to hide.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
1. Who's going to enforce it?
2. Who's going to pay for it?

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
^^ None of those are cost effective or reasonable implementations.^^

My understanding is that there are major jurisprudent restrictions to nationwide legislation such as this, namely, that local police are not enforcers of Federal law, and Federal law enforcement has no national police branch. This is why local cops generally cannot enforce immigration issues.

And I disagree that extra charges are warranted. Cause is irrelevant. Accidents should be treated equally regardless if the causal driver was drunk, sleeping, texting, or just a damned idiot.

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 15, 2011

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Digital War posted:

I'm not American so I may be talking out my arse here, but couldn't they just make federal funding dependent on passing state laws implementing cellphone bans or enforcing the federal ban.

Yeah, they tried that with the whole "Drive 55" thing, and it worked... for a while.

Cichlidae posted:

Legally, though, it is relevant. There's a difference between misadventure and gross negligence, or between murder and manslaughter. Why shouldn't there be a heavier punishment for someone who knowingly endangers his and others' lives?

You can make those arguments in court without special legislation. I've nearly had my life taken from me by gross negligence simply from another driver not checking their mirror when changing lanes or merging a hundred million times, I don't see why "texting" is a different class of negligence than any other "not paying attention" behavior. Whether they are texting or picking their nose isn't the point.

That said, texting while driving is stupid. But I've also seen people reading magazines and newspapers while driving. I don't see the point to making special cases. Inattention is inattention, regardless of why.

Hell, I see people watching TV on their center console all the time.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

Honestly it'd be such a pain to try to get something like that passed that we'll probably have automated robot cars that nullify the problem before it'd get done.

Well, since you mention it...

Remember this guy?

Here's their KC Gig Ideas submission:

quote:

Using Google Fiber, Google's Driverless car program, and Integrated Roadways' modular pavement products featuring embedded intelligent sensor networks, we can provide self-driving car services at five cents per mile for non-commercial users, and five cents per ton-mile for commercial users.

Kansas City has >$120MM unfunded infrastructure liabilities, with no plan to resolve the shortfall. Bond issues are more difficult every day. Fuel tax increases are unpopular and impossible to pass. People will not pay more for existing services. The solution is to provide attractive new services that can bridge the funding gap.

With our proposal, we would install intelligent pavements to support self-driving cars along 50 miles of Kansas City's most heavily trafficked roads. Each mile of pavement would generate approx $1.5MM per year of user fees from subscribers, allowing Kansas City to forever close its funding gap while being the first city in the world to provide a fantastic and highly attractive new service - self-driving cars!

Too far fetched? Too bad. It made the semi-finals for the Gigabit Challenge, chaired by Vint Cerf of TCP/IP and VP at Google.

We find out Friday if the submission survived to the Finals, which puts it in competition for $100,000 cash & services "Grand" prize, $250,000 "Born Global" convertible note investment, $100,000 worth of cash & services for 2nd-5th places, the People's Choice award, and last but not least, individual awards and/or deals with the judging panel, which consists of angel, VC, tech, and municipal representatives.

I can get the content of the actual proposal if anyone's interested. I think the target and timing are both great, as KC is really taking pains to grow its stature, and if the city can pull off this kind of coup, KC has a great shot at hitting it's goal of becoming "The most entrepreneurial city in America" and supercharging the Silicon Prairie effort. Hell we've been named one of the WORLD's best unknown travel spots, one of the nation's "next" cocktail Meccas, and had three of our UMKC Bloch school instructors named the world's top innovation management scholars, all in the last few months. This is a great way to fix our city's problems and put us on the map, in my opinion!

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 15, 2011

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
They have a longitudinal length that is actually halfway between standard saw cut joint widths, with a full depth joint sealant, so there are not only fewer joints but the joints are sealed better. Now, if you're comparing against asphalt, that's a 15 year product vs a 50 year product. Winter performance should be better than standard pavements, but we'll really only know once they are in the field.

Chaos Motor fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 15, 2011

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Cichlidae posted:

That's pretty awesome! Driverless cars really are a huge step forward; 97% of accidents involve human error. It feels like progress in the field has been painfully slow in the last decade. I know Google's been pushing for it, though. The improvement in DARPA Grand Challenge performance each year is also promising.

I think a big chunk of the issue is that current systems installed in-car are incredibly expensive, and not commercially viable. Radio had the same issue too - the receivers were just as expensive as the transmitters. When they were able to simplify the design so that the receiver was cheap and the transmitter was expensive, suddenly there was a commercial model to support it, and radio adoption exploded. Google's put tons of money in it, but they readily admit they don't know how it's going to become a product. Toyota tried putting sensors in the roads in the 90's, but found that it was prohibitively expensive with technology then, and only made sense if the entire road needed replacement. That's why I like this proposal for KC - most of KC's roads need rebuilding anyway.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
I used to sit around and draw ridiculous "floor plans" for houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Problem is Yoot Tower is barely functional despite the fact that it runs. Its entire economic system is borked.