Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davenport
Sep 8, 2003

Good morning from here.
Following up on your post with the time-space diagrams, am I correct in assuming that none of those intersections have the traffic signal lights on a sensor? What is your opinion of the sensors? Where I live (Sacramento, fabled city of awful traffic engineering), there is a four mile stretch of road (Truxel, from I-80 to Elkhorn) that has about 2 dozen lights, and some days I will hit every drat one because one solitary vehicle on a cross street or opposing turn lane will trip the sensor and stop the flow of 30-50 cars over and over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davenport
Sep 8, 2003

Good morning from here.
I'm not qualified to answer your other questions but...

Arafa posted:

And here is my $10,000 question. When stopped, why do some drivers leave gigantic spaces between themselves and the next car, even in tight left turn lanes and other very congested spaces? This has to be one of the worst and most avoidable forms of congestion. Yet I can never find any consistent reason why people do it. I've asked a lot of people and no one really seems to know why. Because of that, I think it must be some unconscious force, like an excessive desire for control or safety or something. Any thoughts?

I was under the impression that people do this so if someone slams into them from behind, they won't be crunched into the car in front of them.