Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cichlidae posted:

This is a problem with all on-street parking, not just diagonal parking. Parking maneuvers are going to hold up traffic no matter what, except if you use parallel parking and have a lot of empty spaces. Motorists driving along on-street parking just have to expect that they may have to stop. For converting parking, back-in/head-out doesn't seem like it'd use any more space. Parking dimensions are a factor of angle, mainly, and not direction. I don't know of any parking up here that uses that method, but I'd like to try it out and see how it works.
My neighborhood in Baltimore went to this type of parking. It works great, but it really confuses people who aren't used to it. You have to drive further past the spot than you would originally think. So if the person behind you is a jackass, it can take awhile. Or if the person parking isn't familiar with that type of parking, it may take them a few tries to get into the spot. Once the locals get used to it, it takes just a little longer to park than head-in parking. And getting out of the parking spot is much safer and faster.

Overall its great, because it moves the trickiest part (backing up) to the visible part of the road. Its especially good for bikers, because when people pull out, they're facing forward and can see oncoming vehicles much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Chris Knight posted:

A video about Copenhagen's 3 worst bicycle bridges came up in my YT recommendations, and this was another one by the same guy. Pretty neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXP6KOVBOY
The bike bridge video just popped up in my feed also. YT algorithms are weird. It was a great watch though, very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McvZ68qlho4

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm the comically undersized traffic lights: routinely ignored by everyone despite trying my best to bring order to chaos and prevent imminent death and destruction.