Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Everytime a thread like this comes up I always post this link:

https://www.cbrd.co.uk

You think "oh a site about roads in the UK that sounds loving great fun :rolleyes:"

Then two hours later you realise you're still reading it and that it's actually very interesting.

There's also this:

http://www.pathetic.org.uk/

Which is quite amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It amuses the hell out of me that you're amazed that you had to do a 3 point turn, Steak Flavoured Gum!

It's a staple of British motoring, and one of the things that people most fail their test on. Hitting the kerb is a fault, major or minor depending on severity.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

Nope, large parts of Coventry were destroyed during the Blitz, giving planners an almost clean slate to work with. England went ring road crazy for a couple of decades after the war, for example at one point London was supposed to have 4 concentric ring roads rather than the one and a half it has today.

There's an awesome article about the London Ringway plan on the CBRD website I linked earlier.

https://www.cbrd.co.uk

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I live in Preston, which was the site of the first "motorway" in the UK, part of the M55 and M6 these days. As was mentioned, the first "proper" motorway was the M1, and the Preston bypass was turned into the two motorways I mentioned, M55 goes from the M6 to my hometown of Blackpool, and the M6 is the longest motorway in the country.

Re roundabouts and France, watch the Tour de France. It is *awesome* when the peloton splits into two and goes around it in different directions.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Can I just use this thread to point out that if you are a driver, and you routinely don't indicate, you're a oval office of the highest order. I'm sick of nearly being mown down while crossing a road because a car went somewhere I wasn't expecting to.

Also, interesting that rail has come up in the thread, I've been playing OpenTTD to death lately.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

People hate speed limits and make up conspiracy theories about "revenue generation" because they are loving babies who hate the thought of being told what to do by people who may just know better than them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Gail Wynand posted:

It's probably a government facility of some sort.

This does happen on UK Motorways. Secret junctions is their name, and they usually go to military facilities and labelled weirdly, but the red border gives them away as military installations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That mile post thing was recently adapted for the entire UK motorway network to make it easier to identify your location to the emergency services.

We had them previously but they were TINY and weren't much use.

Info here:

http://cbrd.co.uk/indepth/dls/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

magimix posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how totally nuts people can be when it comes to level crossings (as we call them in the UK).

As with any country, we have a mixture of crossings; some without barriers (not that common, at least in my neck of the woods), some with a barrier covering one lane in each direction, and the majority covering both lanes in both directions.

For the un-barriered ones, so many just ignore the lights and drive over. For the partial barriers, I've seen my share of people slaloming around the barriers. And I've even seen people try to beat the fully barried ones.

One time I was snarled up in stop-start traffic, movely slowly along single-carriageway road that had a fully-barried level crossing. Bearing in mind the traffic was wholly backed up, most people were being reasonable, and not entering the crossing until the definitely knew they could clear it.

Apart from the guy in front of me, who got to the crossing as the lights came up, and decided to go for it. He cleared the tracks, but not the crossing as a whole. So the barrier dropped down onto the bonnet of his car. Then lifted up, and dropped back down again. And it kept doing this, chop-chop-chop, all the way along his car, one end to the other, as he slowly exited the crossing.

:eng99:

Which is why we need people like Jeremy Clarkson to tell the public how to use them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpD06P7kiI

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I can't remember exactly what I'm trying to describe here but someone posted something about weird human behaviour and getting to one place from another when you give them a few options. Am I going mad?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That wasn't what I was looking for. Something to do with the number of choices you give drivers and what happens as a result. People trying to avoid congestion. Ring any bells?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post364114693

Is it that one, maybe? There was also another post (not mine) that compared the perceived times spent waiting for a bus, train, in a car, etc.

That's the badger! Thanks.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

What is that software you use and is it possible to get an evaluation copy or what? I would love to play with making some crazy roads.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

God your roads look like they're in horrendous condition.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Even though it's not really about transport that National Grid documentary that meltie linked is really loving interesting so I really recommend you watch it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Construction eh?

Just reminded me about these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyJIDO8XxK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNuE4hbUDag

First link is on my youtube channel, I upload lots and lots of road safety ads :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Pretty sobering! Ours here aren't nearly so compelling. Here are our ads.

Well that second one is from Wisconsin and is actually pretty hard-hitting for an American campaign.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mother of God...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cichlidae on the CBRD website did you ever see this?

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/indepth/majorincidents/

Kind of related to the firey-post above, really!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

My wife and I just came back from our honeymoon in North America. We were due to drive from Toronto up to Quebec City and back for a little road trip (I don't drive so it was all on her). After seeing how people drive over there, she was all nervous, and bailed on the plan and we stayed in Toronto all week instead.

It was the same when we got to New York the week after. We couldn't believe how mental everything was. People overtaking in any lane they wanted. No hierachy of slower lanes leading up to faster lanes for overtaking. People doing all sorts of poo poo at the wheel that if anybody did in Europe they'd get hosed for and massively glared at by all and sundry. Turn right on red scared the crap out of us, as pedestrians.

It was definitely an experience...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Sorry, we're from the UK.

Edit: Also New Jersey we were in as well, on the highways, out in the sticks.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You don't mention which country you're from, but I assume it's not in southern or eastern Europe. People there drive way crazier than Americans. Try Istanbul or Athens, for example. But the bright side is, you get used to it! You'll be just as bad yourself after a few weeks in that environment.

This is also a fair point. They're mental there. Maybe we're just good with rules. We like rules.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 13, 2012

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

meltie posted:

the M6 is a hellzone of Range Rover drivers.

Cheshire :argh:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Midget Fist posted:

More education is needed so that cyclists know which side of the road to ride on, and to stop at lights, but... if you could get every single driver of a car to do the same, that would be great. So many times as a pedestrian I've nearly been run over crossing on a walk signal, because someone turning right couldn't be bothered to look. Better enforcement of the rules by the police, prosecuting offenders on both sides would help. Drivers in the US get away with all kinds of dangerous stuff like not signalling, weaving, talking on phones, etc that should be come down hard on.

"OMG WAR ON THE MOTORIST WHY AREN'T YOU POLICE CATCHING REAL CRIMINALS!?"

...is what everyone says if you do that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500330&pagenumber=1

GBS thread about bridge collapses. May be worth a look for people here.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I'm from Blackpool originally, in the North West of the UK, and this road runs around the back of the airport, just before the runway:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=bl...133.22,,0,-5.44

It won me a pub quiz prize when the question was "Where in Blackpool are the street lights shorter than normal."

You can see the runway approach lights on the right hand side (yellow sticks)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jonnty posted:

New crossing installations in the UK do sometimes cancel the sequence if people walk away or walk over early. It's quite cool looking back and watching the "pressed" light go out.

Wait, what? Really?

Bang goes the old pastime of pushing the button and laughing as everyone has to stop for no reason.

I saw an adult do it the other day, looking pleased with himself.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Re cats eyes:

Wikipedia posted:

Safety

In the morning of 25 April 1999 on the M3 motorway in Hampshire, England, a van dislodged the steel body of a cat's eye which flew through the windscreen of a following car and hit a passenger (the drum and bass DJ known as Kemistry) in the face, killing her instantly. The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.[13] Investigators acknowledged that the cat's eye bodies occasionally came loose, but added that such an accident was previously unheard of.[14] A question was asked in the House of Lords about the safety of cat's eyes in light of the incident, and the Highways Agency conducted an investigation into the "long-term integrity and performance" of various types of road stud.[15]

Ouch. :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

We don't have any "turn on red" rules in the UK at all, unless the turn is somehow filtered in its own lane, the junction needs making especially for it. I don't know how best to describe it.

But at a regular crossroads or something? Not a chance.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

This site is just really neat: http://www.cbrd.co.uk/badjunctions/12-130-138/

I really wonder what the engineer responsible for this interchange design was thinking.

I've pasted a link to this site very early on in this thread's history and you're right, it's brilliant. I recommend it for anyone here. The guy who runs it really is passionate about the subject.

The in depth and history sections are particularly fascinating.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Someone mentioned traffic lights on roundabouts in the UK before. I have no idea how that started but they're everywhere now and I don't know if they're even a benefit or not. Anyone got any well-sourced information about them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

:psyduck: Come again? How are these children even getting the cars to move? God damnit it world.

Best bit about this is when it happens in the UK and the kid goes to court and they get "banned from driving".

I don't know how that works with an 11 year old.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Terminal Entropy posted:

Also, this ends up being the result if everyone where to go exactly the speed limit:

If everyone gets to their destination when they want to what exactly is the problem with this?

If google gets their way this is how things will be

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Volmarias posted:

25 mph is way safer than 55. Why not set a mandatory limit at 25?

This is stupid, I don't mean setting a low limit, I would like it if we set decent limits for every road and people stuck to them. How do we do THAT? People get all childish and "hurr nobody tells me what to do!"

These people are dicks.

(Answered above I see. My Google comment was regarding automatic cars)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Re road worker fatalities, here's a couple of good adverts which those posts reminded me about :

UK one first, which is pretty hard hitting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVPYQ0dKKk8

And then this one from America, which is surprisingly hard hitting compared to the tame poo poo you usually have there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNuE4hbUDag

I like road safety adverts a lot and will take this opportunity to pimp my YouTube channel again, which is full of them. As well as some other stuff but ignore the other stuff. Just start from the earliest upload.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Any monument within the clear zone is a very bad idea. It should either be moved or protected with barrier / guiderail. Somehow, though, I doubt any municipality would let the DOT do that, even if it meant killing someone every now and then.

Is this on a fast highway? Over in the UK they've taken to putting things like benches and plants on roads that you should travel slowly down, in an attempt to slow you down even more and stop people overtaking. There's no barriers either.

I wouldn't sit in the middle of a loving road, even one with a 20mph limit through a small town centre. gently caress that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Any more hints/tips for MiniMetro? It's so hard. Can't get above 250. Tried loops with river connections, hub and spokes, everything just grinds to a halt eventually. You don't get upgrades fast enough IMO

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

MyFaceBeHi posted:

My strategy is to start out with hub and spokes then, after the first week, put a new line in then go for a grid setup after that.

What do people mean when they say "grid system"

Some screenshots of people's awesome layouts would be cool.

quote:

They pushed out a new update for Mini Metro today. The most notable thing is there are unlimited tunnels now, but the train will go slowly through it so it's still more of a risk to go south of the river (which is true in actual London).

*chuckles*

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

gently caress. Yes.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Where is this it looks lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Those diagrams are very interesting. Seems to show a definite north/south split, as if the older places were laid down by the European settlers and the others were made later. Then you have that one up near Rochester... maybe built later than anything else around it?