Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
I think Oklahoma has bar-none the worst roads in America. I've heard about the Northeast's problems, but I doubt any road is as bad as I-44 and 244 in Tulsa mainly because they havent been upgraded since they were named US 66.

Anyway I think Houston has both the best and worst new roads in America.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Westpark%20Toll%20Road%20houston&sa=N&tab=vl

Westpark Toll Road was built on the cheap and it shows. It was built completely within a 50' easement of an old railroad ROW, it has virtually no shoulders (except for a few places where they set speed traps), left handed entrance/exit ramps, nonsensical interchanges with other roads, and before completion of the Katy Freeway expansion notoriously gridlocked due to an extention into Fort Bend County that it was never designed for. Oh yeah from FM 1093 to the Beltway, you cant exit the freeway. Thats about 10 miles going that passes through an area that has a 20 ft wall on one side and the mongol hordes on the other (not joking its the azn carrying uzis ghetto) Good luck if you run out of gas or have a flat tire.

IH 10 however is a 16 to 24 lane dream drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Do you have any ridiculously low clearance bridges on your state highways? I know TXDot used to have a list of low-clearance bridges and I remember one on the old highway paralleling IH-37 to Corpus Christi was like 10ft something and I remember the old Highway 71 underpass in Columbus had a 9ft clearance.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Also for Houston goons, as soon as they are done repaving the North Loop; guess what the next repaving project is.

Southwest Freeway between Westpark and Bissonet

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

We have a few very low bridges, but not just on state routes. Nearly every bridge on I-95 in Connecticut is lower than interstate standards require. The average age of a bridge here is 50 years, and that's very nearly as old as the Interstate Highway System itself. We post height restrictions on most bridges, and sometimes have restrictions for the entire route.

One of my projects is to remove a 12'-7" bridge (Route 10 over Route 322 in Southington) completely, because it's an impediment to the truckers who would otherwise use this road.

I should note that a bridge's posted clearance is actually several inches lower than the actual clearance. We leave a buffer for road overlays, overinflated tires, and the like. I think it's 3", but I'm not sure if that's a local or national standard.

You should put up one of these bad boys (Look straight up, bad lighting obscures the sign on other view) http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...278.13,,0,-57.5

The sign says "IF YOU HIT THIS, YOU'LL HIT BRIDGE"

It is effective.

Also, peep this.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h...359.986868&z=16

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 10, 2010

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Is it wrong to actually miss this interchange?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=29.34294,-98.550861&spn=0.007893,0.012317&t=h&z=16

It got replaced by a standard diamond when I drove by it recently. :(

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Chaos Motor posted:

I just saw this on reddit and couldn't help but share.

This actually happens alot in small towns and counties in Texas. I remember when they upgraded and relocated the county road that runs next to my family's ranch from literally a cattle trail to a black top in the early 90's, for about 10 years afterwards the relocated road had a 500 year old, 10 ft diameter Live Oak in the middle of it. When they finally decided to remove it in 2000-ish it took them two weeks to chop it down.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
I say pull a Kentucky and make Opiantic the capital.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
I'm going to be the wacky promoter of Opiantic. I fully endorse the Opiantic-Salvation route and I'm going to also propose a new more level turnpike from Opiantic to Hartshire. I'll post a map tonight but it will most follow the southern route from Opiantic but sharply turn north towards the bend ind the big fukov river.

Edit: I just realized what opiantic's main trade is. Definitely going to advocate the state college be located here.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 27, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
When we build canals, can we build small reservoirs as well or should that come later.

Also I'm assuming high bridge construction doesnt start until 1850

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
I propose a dam on the southern fork of the Boltic Creek to form the basis of a future canal linking the Fukov directly with Opiantic along that thick contour line. We'll make thousands!

The name of the reservoir will be Terror Lake after farmers in the area were massacred by drug-crazed savages in colonial times (The legend has been passed down by a pre-industrial version of the DARE program.)

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 29, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
The heir to the most powerful and richest family in the Opiantic valley is absolutely convinced of the superiority of 6 foot gauge. He wages his family's totally legitimate fortune on a line along the East bank of the river from New Dublin to Wincester.

Edit: the family owns most of the land from new Dublin to Opiantic on that side. Also the family has enough money to ATTEMPT to build the line past Opiantic or at least operate a disjointed line.

Edit 2: dang it

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 1, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Yeah, some of these routes make too much business sense. I don't see enough future abandoned rail corridors that will be the subject of years of hand wringing and NIMBYism resulting in lost opportunites and really long parking lots.

Also I was going to ask if towns were going to get more detailed in the future particularly the larger ones. It's also why I wanted a large state college in a small town. Being from the south, having a town double in population for 9 months a year in addition to having 40000 additional vechicles 5 Saturdays a year down 2 lane roads in the middle of nowhere is a unique experience I think this state should share.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 2, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Volmarias posted:

The whole point of laying a rail line is to make a profit. Besides, we're limited in what we can make, and Cichlidae doesn't display individual industries; if he did, I'd lay lines inside all of them :getin:

Yeah but the US, particularly the northeast, is littered with failed lines that either never made a profit or became economically obsolete after the towns or industries failed. The NYO&W and here in Texas, the Cane Belt and SA&AP come to mind. All of these have been abandoned in there entirety after years of unprofitabity, yet some one long ago thought they made sense to build.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
The drugged out heir to the valley of ill-gotten gains still wants his broad gauge line up the east bank from New Dublin to Opiantic but now wants a right turn towards Middleport to transport his wares across the state without impediment by storms, low water, or highway patrolman. The Opiantic Valley & Eastern Railroad is born.

vvvv just add a more direct line on the east bank from Opiantic to New Dublin and it's roughly the route I'm looking at

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 2, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
^^^*furiously logs new ties from your side of the river in landslide areas.*

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Call up John Roebling and let's get a bridge from New Sanctum to West Sanctum.

It's 1850. The Brooklyn Bridge is 30 years away. I.K. Brunel is too busy to bother with the colonials as well.

Edit: the more complicated the network the better the challenge imo. Build more duplicate lines to be abandoned later.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 2, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Guess the road between Opiantic and Boltic should be upgraded.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Can we improve the road bypassing Hartshire into a dual carriageway with a lush 30' -40' median in the middle. You'll thank me later. Plus it will make a great avenue for the gaudy "new money" Victorian homes later.

I am also endorsing helix's idea.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 4, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Edit:nm

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 4, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Either way, you guys are creating some fantastic interstate cooridors.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Koesj posted:

:mmmhmm:

Have been finding out I know gently caress all about pre 1930s transport plans during these last couple of pages, esp. wrt North America. Embarrassing

What you have to remember is that with the exception of World War I and passenger service, there has always been private ownership of railroads in the US. Of note, particularly to this situation, was the creation of Belt & Terminal railroads by competeing railways in the same city to facilitate switching operations. I hate to sperg out about this but I would hold off building rail belts until the next decade for realism sake and to simulate this kind of "cooperative" railroad forming.

Speaking of railroads, after a somewhat profitable but horribly mismanaged existence (including building an extravagant station in Opiantic which promptly burnt down) the OVER has sold at a significant loss to the Cove State Railway out of Salvation in hopes of buying more Nutmeg railroads to form a single line from Salvation to New Cork via the Nutmeg Coast. They convert to standard gauge and rename themselves the New Cork, New Sanctum, and Salvation Railroad to reflect their intentions.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

I have taken the liberty to create a map of who owns what line.

B&B- Bridgefield & Balkany
NCL- Nutmeg Coast Line
NDS- New Dublin-Salvation RR
K&W- Killingham & Wincester
DB&O- Deep Bend & Oliver
NS&W - New Sanctum & Waterbridge
GNU RR - Greater Nutmeg & Union RR
HWFR - Hartshire & West Fukov Railway
WN - Waterbridge Northern
NCNS&S - New Cork, New Sanctum & Salvation RR
H&F - Hartshire & Fairport

I also merged Opal25's line into the NCNS&S but he negotiated enough for it to buy himself a fairly palatial house in Oliver. Thats opposed to the former owners of the OVER who were forced to sell their lands to pay for the debt and now live in a shabby cottage in Opiantic. The drug-crazed father and former patriarch is in the state mental institution in West Sanctum.

As far as Hartshire is concerned, I still am lobbying for a grassy median for the ring road for future tram lines.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 5, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
The NCNS&S approaches the GNU RR about a merger. In exchange for fantasy money, the railroad offers to move its offices to New Sanctum and change its name to the New Cork, New sanctum,& Hartshire Railroad.

Edit: fixed the list

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 5, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Here is my submission. I went with what would make business sense to the railroads at this time. The GNU is desperate to link its very profitable segments together and establish a single line between New Cork and Hartshire. It already shares a station with NS&W so naturally they would want to continue that arrangement. However, most of NS&W's passenger traffic would probably terminate in New Sanctum so they would have the terminal track. A brick viaduct carries the south thru tracks over the city streets. The southern interchange track between them is an absolute necessity. Then northern interchange to the bridge can be built after 1870 but it will be necessary in any merger with the NCNS&S which it wants to form a single line between New Cork and Salvation.

Meanwhile in West Sanctum, the DB&O is on borrowed time. The new station in Hartshire as well as its connections with the booming east bank of the Fukov make the GNU a much better performing and profitable railroad. It is still in the black but will almost certainly be gobbled up by a bigger railroad. The NCL on the other hand has a monopoly on traffic along the western coast and is a likely buyer of the DB&O. The NCL itself is a prize to be won by the railroads in the state. Its station is close to the waterfront and a tram ride away from Union Station. It sees no need (at the moment) to build a second union station with the DB&O. It does, however build an interchange track to connect with the DB&O and the future Fukov Rail Bridge.

I added some tram lines around the Gale U area, and a single tram along the river front in West Sanctum, I'll let others suggest roads this time around

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 6, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Hmm, if we're going to do a rail barge at the point where the future bridge is going to go over the river, why would the NCL want to negotiate trackage rights along the DBO when it could just build to the interchange with the bridge.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Hedera Helix posted:

The NCL will not stand for locating the future rail bridge so far upriver! Doing so extends the journey into central New Sanctum by so much, it would be quicker to retain the current West Sanctum station and have passengers take the trolley into the city. A trolley line which we don't yet own, even.

Are you all seriously going to tell riders from New Dublin and Rockington that they may not have a quick, convenient one-seat ride? That they must wait in the cold air for a transfer? Is that your game? :mad:

Well gently caress, no one is stopping you from using the bridge into union station. gently caress the DB&O though.

Or build your own bridge at great expense and be bought out by a bigger line

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 6, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
YOU CAN'T HAVE A TERMINUS ON A MAINLINE! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!

But seriously, why on earth would you have the clear trunk line across the state owned by one railroad have 2 termini.

Also I stand by my plan of having the bridge upriver.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
In situations where there were multiple lines coming into a city, the railroads would form a belt & terminal railroad to spread out the cost of operating the stations,bridges,ferries, or belt lines around the city. Eventually some of these were bought out by the dominant railroad but some operate today. Either way, its completely plausible that the companies operating in the area would want to interchange traffic so completely bypassing West Sanctum and at least a partial bypass of New Sanctum would be built.

I can't see how you could negotiate the grades needed for a downtown rail crossing in New Sanctum with out some serious demolition, especially in 1870.

Also a turntable is unnecessary. A reversing Wye is sufficient unless you have shops. But were getting to far into details, just build the drat thing.

Edit: basically a thru station on the New Cork-Hartshire line is essential to avoid a massive clusterfuck in the future. Plus it makes sense because both segments are owned by the same railroad.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 8, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Mandalay posted:

In that case, I think the Opiantic-Boldic corridor would be most interesting because we have the opportunity to work with (1) mountainous constraints, which were historically the bane of railroad builders and (2) regional planning issues in two towns beginning to grow into one conurbation.

Second.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Keep in mind, because of the disconnected rails in New Dublin, the Opiantic - Boltic corridor is now the primary trunk line between New Cork Winchester, and Salvation.

:twisted:

Edit: vvvv what are you talking about? How is any traffic going to get to salvation from hartshire or New Cork without using that corridor. True it has to travel 4 different railroads but maybe that's something a wealthy New Cork banker can do something about in the future.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 9, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

ZombieApostate posted:

Except from New Dublin you aren't even connected to Wincestor or Salvation without going to Middleport and turning around? And anything going to Wincestor or Salvation from New Cork has to take the route north of the river to Opiantic and follow the New Dublin-Salvation line the rest of the way anyway? :confused: (Or take the line far north through Chenchester)

I just checked and there was already an agreement to connect NDS to K&W in Killingham and NDS to NCL in New Dublin. I guess it got lost somewhere along the way? Could we get that added in at some point?

Edit: ^^^To Wincestor, they'd probably go via HWFR through Chenchester (especially after the changes to Hartshire). To Salvation, yes, they'd probably take your mad scribbles through Boltic via the ex-OPAL line. But I don't mind, because I own the track to Salvation and I have a stake in the line to Wincestor :chord:

Basically if you're going west, I own you :unsmigghh:

You can sell out and join the impending NCNS&S-GNU merger for historical accuracy. I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen anyway. The north side of the river looks tricky but dynamite is about to be invented.

In more relevant talk, I could see a another southern road to access the farms south of the river would be useful. It would also drive development into the flatter terrain.

Edit: if that's the case, the Salvation businessmen who own the NCNS&S approach a group of New Cork bankers, among them a young man with a hosed up nose named J.P Martin about the prospect of building a second rail line up the Opiantic Valley in the next decade.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 9, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
My computer with paint.net is down. But I can tell you a road along the Southern bank of the Boltic river as well as a road inland to serve ag interests in the area is essential.

Also extend the industrial lead along the east bank up to killingham and Salvation and build a bridge slightly east of Opiantic to link the two and establish a second mainline in the Opiantic Valley. Salvation merchants are tired of the NDS high prices and the fact they can't even ship to Hartshire quickly. Abandon the station on the northside of the river to save costs and speed up throughput.

Edit: Listen to this man! In a time of war, when the fate of the Republic is on the line, he deliberately blocks needed supplies and troops crossing the great state of Nutmeg, all because of a petty business dispute. This is exactly the reason why a true mainline across this state and New England is required, one that is not controlled by a vainglorious madman who would spite his own country to keep his petty monopoly's stranglehold on Western Nutmeg's commerce.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 10, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Railroad News:

In the east, the Hartshire & Fairport has fallen under the control of a group of New Cork bankers let by barons Jay Mould & James Risk. It's a profitable line but the young Mr. Mould has so far proven to be a cunning individual and utterly ruthless in his business acumen. The NSW and the B&B continue to be profitable with the NSW planning a new bridge across the Fukov and the B&B having healthy traffic shipping metals from the Balkany area to Bridgefield, though the steep grades north of Bridgefield take a heavy toll on equipment and limit speeds. Meanwhile the WN posts little to no profits, serving mostly as a bypass of more congested routes in the region and of course the local niche goods.

The biggest news in the state is not just the long time coming buyout of the NCNS&S by the GNU also the failure of the DB&O and subsequent purchase by the newly formed New Cork, New Sanctum & Hartshire Rail Road or the New Sanctum line for short. (NS) Having lost it two terminal stations, the DB&O was gobbled up for a fire sale price, establishing a dominating presence in the Fukov valley. The NS opens a new HQ in New Sanctum as well as consolidates its shops there. The Salvation owners of the NCNS&S, in a shady legal maneuver, were completely screwed over by the New Cork bankers who financed the merger, giving the NS a permanent lease on the large but underperforming Cove State Railroad north of Salvation. The new line makes amends towards the NDS and tables its plans to connect to Salvation...for now.

In the west, the NDS and its effective subsidiary the K&W, continue their monopoly on westbound traffic. They have been accused of double charging for interchange traffic by their customers, but gently caress them who are they going to complain to, its 1870, NO loving LAWS. The HWFR is a profitable line because of traffic coming in and out of Hartshire to the north. However, the Hartshire-Mutnap line is in desperate need of upgrading and suffers from constant washouts due to its mountainous terrain and poor engineering. The NCL continues its profitable industry of shuffling finished products along the Western coast. Also a new short line has opened, the Black Mountain RR.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 13, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Edit: Lets also get a direct line between New Sanctum and Fairport. We don't want to wait for all those piddly little towns on the local train; lets get an express route here!

Absolutely.

Anybody can suggest branch lines for the New Sanctum Line. It's access to the new Grand Central Depot in New Cork means its funds are ample.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
The New Sanctum Lines has two critical upgrades. First is the Bridgefield Cutoff mentioned earlier and multi-tracking the entire line from New Cork to New Sanctum.

Trains will be able to fly down the tracks at before unthinkable speeds of 55 mph!!!

Second is the building of the Fukov River Rail bridge.

The banks in New Cork strongly suggest the New Sanctum Line wait to do any serious expansion though :( I suspect they are on to something, but the cash is flowing in so if anyone has ideas or wants to be bought out we'll see what we can do.

FISHMANPET posted:

Alright, caution to the wind!

The families of Oliver have failed in their expiriment with train travel, having the misfortune to be on the wrong side of the river. But a few brave men, pockets still lined with mill money, decide to start a new venture. The New Dublin & Boltic Company would like to build a line from New Dublin to Boltic to Chenchester, following roughly the already improved road.

The New Sanctum Lines does not wish to have an interchange with this railroad as it would duplicate our service. However you can definitely go over us. :)

Edit: Updated 1870 rail map posted

VVVVV I used the wrong color sorry

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like the best way to revitalize Deep Bend is to create a rail line giving it a straight shot to New Dublin.

Some change fell out of our pockets, we'll give it to you in exchange for a bit of equity in your plans and you must interchange exclusively with our road.

Congrats you own your own railroad.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
The New Sanctum Line is the most profitable line in the Northwest at this point. Please NDS, go forth with merging into the heavily in debt HWFR and the H&F owned by two of the most ruthless railroad barons in the country. The NSW and B&B are welcome members of the New Sanctum family.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 14, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Nope a connection with a resort town is none of the New Sanctum Lines concern.

Also, thank you, THANK YOU, to the H&F for introducing Jay Mould to the NDS system. :)

VVVVV shhhh. Let him do his thing :)

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 14, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
End of decade rail report:

The two primary backers behind the H&F, Jay Mould and James Risk, under the guise of independence, make a last minute change to the merger contract. What started as a merger of equals now has the H&F as the clear dominant partner in the marriage between the 4 lines. The ink is already dry with the signatures of the presidents of the railroads before it is realized what has happened. Mould and Risk then proceed with a VERY leveraged buyout of a few minority shareholders and the primary shareholder of the old sickly HWFR, giving the two New Cork moguls 52% of the new company! ZombieApostate, former owner and president of the NDS is retained as president of the new line, but is paid with stock rather than a salary, a necessary compromise for the now cash strapped railroad. No worries though, the value of this line has nowhere to go but up!

Meanwhile J.P Martin of New Cork continues to buy up NS stock. It's not performing as well as it could be given it's excess capacity and it's single track bridges over the Fukov are already a bottleneck, and it's 'partners' have problems of their own. However, it has brand new locomotives, upgraded track and has invested in a new telegraph company utilizing one of it's former component railroad names, GNU Telegraph Co.

Elsewhere the WN has picked up traffic from the newly built resorts in the area. The NCL has invested in a new signaling system, increasing capacity and safety. The NDB manages to pick up some traffic from the HWFR to New Dublin, but since the merger traffic has fallen sharply. The traffic that does use the railroad is slowed by the steep grades and the lack of interchange at New Dublin. Many wonder why this line was built at all.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 15, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

ZombieApostate posted:

Well, somebody wants to "win" a bit too badly when they start writing the future of other people's railroads, but whatever.

Hey, I'm just a reporter for the Railroad Daily, a trade magazine. We may be owned by the New Cork Central Railroad, of which the New Sanctum is a key connecting railroad and has a 15% interest, but we are not biased in anyway.

In all honesty all this feuding has created great challenges for the future.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Yes, we'll have a lot to work out!

If you guys want an early start on 1880, or if you're just bored on a Sunday night and need something to do, you can get a head start by trying to figure out which of the railroads will go bankrupt between 1870-80. Shoot for about 50%.

Will these be abandoned or merely subsumed by other lines?