Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Chaos Motor posted:

I feel like the United States makes special efforts to ensure our legal system is as retarded and useless lucrative for lawyers as possible.

It's not even as if it succeeds at that either these days if you look at the Lawyer megathread.

Btw, one question I have on a more traffic related matter. Who controls the access utilities have to roads in the US? Who gives them permits to dig up roads and how much effort is there being made at coordinating them?

In the UK they've been trying to make a start at managing things better but it still ends up with things like the major road near my flat being torn up 4 times in a 6 month period (then having bits torn up again a couple of times because the people installing the water pipe hosed up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

-In some tunnels, especially in shallow ones, there are emergency staircases at regular intervals that go to the surface. If you're in the Gotthard Base Tunnel, you'll run into one about halfway through, but you'd better be ready to climb a thousand meters to get to the surface.

The entire AlpTransit project is quite impressive. It's nice that at least one country looked at the pollution and other issues transporting everything by trucks causes and implemented a proper, comprehensive and fully funded rail solution.

We desperatly need to shift the load from road to rail in other countries but road haulier lobbies... :argh:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, there is a D&D thread for UK train chat:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483456

And all the various ways in which the current UK system works/is totally hosed up.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I presume they were just about to do over that piece of track.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

New Haven figures that, if the freeway goes away, so will the traffic. They're completely neglecting the fact that a good chunk of the city was built around the freeway, including 3 huge new developments that are going to draw 50% more cars to the area.

Bloody hell, that is one stunning example of short sightedness.

Just to make sure that it is indeed as stupid as it sounds, there isn't a set of alternative high capacity and fast routes to take all that traffic right?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

Haha, no way! The three alternate routes we looked at to absorb capacity are all city streets. We WOULD have had some other freeways to help out, but they were all canceled 40 years ago. New Haven keeps a fixed signal cycle on every one of its signals, so they're not going to change anything to improve capacity elsewhere, either.

Also, we're nearly done with a billion-dollar project to improve the interchange that leads to the freeway they're closing. Now it'll just be a billion-dollar stub that backs up constantly onto the Interstates.

Heh, will they be able to reverse the decision once the consequences hit or have they already sold off the land the freeway was on to developers etc?

Man, have they actually put forward any rationalisations or do they just genuinely expect that traffic to vanish? The world is generally not supply driven...

vv Heh, typical. You see that kind of stuff with council and developers in the UK as well.

Munin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 24, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a293u2g27CE
Seriously people, get winter tires. No, all-seasons are not good enough.

What's the general take on chains in the US btw?

Coming from Switzerland their use is accepted as part of general wear and tear since conditions in the mountains often require them.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mandalay posted:

I was unaware that we were still using the Latin U (V) back in 1938.

It's a feature of some art deco scripts.

[e]This one would be a modern example inspired by those:

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 9, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

That looks absolutely horrible I wonder what it's made out of, if I was a trucker with brake failure going 60 MPH it would take tremendous, inhuman willpower to steer my vehicle into what looks like a painful crumpling deathtrap.

It's the traditional set up used in most places, a deep gravel bed with and upward incline and water barrels at the end. Does the job but not as gracefully as those new mechanical arresters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_truck_ramp

Here is another example in Switzerland.

Quick aside in case it wasn't clear,yes Art Deco was indeed a 30's art, design and architecture style. Other aside, if you played Bioshock then you would have seen good examples of art deco design.

Munin fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 9, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

In Europe the French (and more so the Italians) are seen as pretty crazy drivers. Other than getting driven in a taxi through the roundabout near the Arc de Triomphe my other abiding memory of French driving is of someone simply stopping their car without pulling over, going into a boulangerie to pick up a baguette and then stepping back into there car and driving off. My mother used to outrage her english friends by describing her old (and where she used to live fairly common) habit of "bump parking" which involves nudging parked cars with your bumper to make space for yours.

Baronjutter posted:

You can't really widen roads in europe without tearing down the buildings attached to them. Europe in the 60's really tried to do this in many places, their cities were viewed as backwards and needed to get with the times, get with cars. Many cities had horrific plans to basically demolish their historic cores and replace them with towers surrounded by "green space" and accessed by highway (as was the planning insanity at the time). Luckily for europe most of these plans were never enacted and in the few places they were they have been regarded as absolute disasters and efforts are currently made to restore them.

This is tied to the utopian vision of architects like Le Corbusier (he once proposed the "Voisin" plan to reshape Paris from the ground up). An awful lot of the 60s developments and tower blocks you see in Europe were shaped by that philosophy.

The sad thing is that all that utopian thinking about the ideal city ultimately tended to really break down in practice.

The kind of thinking that you need to tear everything down to creat the "ideal" city has quite a long tradition in Europe ranging from Wren failing to push through his plan to recreate London into a classical ideal city after the Great Fire in 1666. The centre of Paris itself was more or less totally torn down and redesigned in the 19th century to turn it into the city it is today. Karlsruhe is another interesting 18th century example of an attempt to design an ideal city and it's layout was apparently also an inspiration for Washington DC (with the Capitol instead of a Palace at its center).

[e] The historical part of the city has retained its radial layout.

[e2] I should probably also point to Brasília.

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 10, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Varance posted:

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you put in the road, people will get used to it and drive even crazier after mastering the mechanic. We've got these roads in Florida that are so thin, you need to keep wheels on both lines to keep a transit bus in its lane. Still doesn't stop people from driving through at 20 above the speed limit, sometimes taking the mirrors off the side of the bus. Without enforcement and meaningful penalties, people will continue to drive like they own the road.

I might be blind but I can't see the traffic calming/warning measures in that photo.

Cichlidae posted:

I took an architecture class and an urbanism class when I was in France. The professors were not fond of Le Corbusier, but perhaps not for the reason you'd think.

At the time of his creation of the Charte d'Athčnes, he was a huge collabo, and got put into a high position in the Vichy government. There are all sorts of allegations in the class that Wikipedia doesn't get into, so I don't have any good source (and therefore won't talk about), but there you have it. Makes sense; being a poor predictor of future urban behavior isn't nearly as severe as being a Nazi sympathizer.

Yup, there was a huge brouhaha about it around 2005 (the 40th anniversary of his death). The fact that he worked for the Vichy government is totally uncontested. If people are interested and can understand French this is a pretty good little documentary clip I came across about it. One of the amusing bits of it is one of the people who broadly ends up defending him going "well, he did also work for Stalin and Mussolini".

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

It's the lateral stripes that get closer and closer as one approaches the curve. This is a relatively common approach worldwide. I wouldn't call it traffic calming, but it is certainly a warning measure.

Ah, those. You also get similar markings in the UK leading up to roundabouts on major A roads or when a motorway ends. They are also profiled so you have a slight rumble when you run across them.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

We set all of our signals so that no two conflicting through movements will get flashing yellow. The major movements (north + south, for example) will get flashing yellow, and the side street (east + west) will get flashing red. This is treated as a two-way stop. As long as there is adequate sight distance from the stop bar on the side street, there is a very limited potential for crashes.

I don't think I've ever seen flashing red? Is this a US thing or have I just not been on the right kind of roads?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

kapinga posted:

It's the only way I've ever seen flashing lights work in the US. There are no well defined right-of-way markers or rules for signaled intersections where the lights are completely out.

This, of course, leads to a giant shitshow when power is lost and intersections go completely dark.

Don't you have a "right before left" rule like in Europe or similar? In the UK the right of way is shown by road markings at the intersection.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

That's not necessarily true; freeways frequently go up to a 7% slope, which is very uncomfortable to walk (or bike) up. You don't notice the slope as much when you're driving. Moreover, freeways can have a moderate uphill slope for miles.

What you really want is to build them alongside (or atop) railbeds. Your slopes are minimal in that case. A lot of abandoned tracks go right into downtown areas, whereas freeways typically only skirt them.

You tend to see that a lot in Germany, at least around where I used to live. That said it was also a more rural area with quite a few field roads in any case.

Annoyingly I can't really show off any examples since Streetview has been switched off for Germany.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That definitely has a deep "Pedestrians? That's MY road dammit!" vibe to it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

grover posted:

Pedestrians have the right-of-way on most military bases, and everyone driving on base knows it. It's not an issue generally at crosswalks at intersections, but we have quite a few crosswalks in the middle of a street where the signage slowly progressed from painted crosswalks, to signs, to giant blinking signs with button activation. The exact same thing happens with all the above: traffic invariably yields to pedestrians in the crosswalk, or when it looks to the driver like the pedestrian is going to step into the road right in front of them. Occassionally someone will stop and wave you through, but people rarely stops if pedestrians are simply standing beside the road.

I don't get what you're trying to get at here.

That kind of setup has worked elsewhere so it wasn't doomed from the outset. They're putting up this stuff precisely so drivers do heed people waiting on the side of the road to cross. Pedestrians shouldn't have to almost/actually step into live traffic to get the opportunity to cross the road.

In any way. I'm curious to see how it develops and what it actually takes to get the local drivers to actually act appropriately.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

grover posted:

Oh, I'm not saying that; it's going to get drivers to heads-up and pay attention. But if the signs and blinking lights aren't accompanied by pedestrians actually exercising their right-of-way, cars aren't going to stop.

What do you mean by "exercising their right of way"?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'll also put my voice to New Sanctum.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Koesj posted:

If you were to add the western connector four others had to that plan it'd look ace I think. Keeping the existing stations and linking all of the lines together seems to work out well.

This is probably my favourite as it is both parsimonious and links everything up.

We've only been talking about railroads so far though and we need to consider other cross river connections. How about adding these bridges:

Would the one near the Opiantic line terminal impede shipping?

Using the new bridges to extend the tram lines across the river would also be a sound idea imo.

[e] Actually, the more I look at it the more I think the central bridge would be better of on the other side of the rail bridge.

[re-edit]Amended:

You can then expand the tram on the other side as needed. Also, removed the West bridge since the tram one also accommodates carts, pedestrians etc correct? If viable we could also try to extend the tram over the existing northeast bridge beyond its current terminus.

[e] fixed mistakes...

Munin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 4, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

It's currently 1860-1870. Automobiles don't exist yet so you're dealing with horse carriages which are generally narrower than cars end up being. Many bridges will probably end up needing to be replaced in future decades when automobiles and motorized trucks and buses become popular.

oops, said cars and meant general traffic...

Something I also just thought of. What's that the top of the railheads we want to set up our through line and central station on? It might be a bit difficult to convince an industrial Baron to move his factory.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mandalay posted:

It's also at the junction of (what should be) the two major tram lines. Extend the shoreline one to go further up the coast and split the northern loop into two N-S tram lines that terminate in the burbs. Build tram lines further up and sell tramside property to finance the extension :eng101:

I also want us to build out a us to build out a wonderful public transport system.

Then we can all go "gah" as it all gets torn down when cars make an appearance.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Rochester's Subway was rather poorly located to serve transit needs, which is why the service ended. It is similar to why the Cincinnati Subway was never finished and opened.

Old canal beds, while a convenient source of right of way for putting transit in, often end up being poor routes for passenger demand. If I remember right the Newark City Subway ended up being the only canal bed to subway conversion that lasted not just more than 30 years, but is in fact still running.

Earlier in the thread (at least I think it was this thread) someone posted pictures of some unusually wide roads and asked why they were so wide. People then dug up some historic photos of the tramway that ran through it and mentioned how extensive the network used to be until it all got ripped out.

As an aside, looking at the general map it looks like Opiantic/Boltic could turn into a really messy conurbation.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Koesj posted:

gently caress Photoshop.

If the scale bridge wise etc is to ambitious at the moment the initial proposal from Koesj would probably be the best one to work from. It only has one additional road bridge and the existing rail bridge is used for the full link up. That said I don't think the rail head he has removed is likely to be since it most likely serves local industry and warehouses. Where is the port btw?

I still think it would be nice if we found some economical way of getting the tram extended across the BFR.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 5, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I've got no problem with more road bridges, and one more RR bridge along the bend east of Hartshire. The port is along the entire southern end of the city; it's rather extensive, but is most concentrated around the oldest part of the city, just east of the river branch. Cutting out a few wharfs isn't a big deal, as there are so many more to replace them.

Kk. Would it be actually possible to take the tram across the water or is that essentially a no go? That's something that would definitely aid the cross water hookup in this period.

Also, looking at that detailed map sorting out Sanctum is going to be a nightmare.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I take it the little non roaded grey area in the southeast is the industrial area that needs better connections?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Here is my submission. I went with what would make business sense to the railroads at this time. The GNU is desperate to link its very profitable segments together and establish a single line between New Cork and Hartshire. It already shares a station with NS&W so naturally they would want to continue that arrangement. However, most of NS&W's passenger traffic would probably terminate in New Sanctum so they would have the terminal track. A brick viaduct carries the south thru tracks over the city streets. The southern interchange track between them is an absolute necessity. Then northern interchange to the bridge can be built after 1870 but it will be necessary in any merger with the NCNS&S which it wants to form a single line between New Cork and Salvation.

Meanwhile in West Sanctum, the DB&O is on borrowed time. The new station in Hartshire as well as its connections with the booming east bank of the Fukov make the GNU a much better performing and profitable railroad. It is still in the black but will almost certainly be gobbled up by a bigger railroad. The NCL on the other hand has a monopoly on traffic along the western coast and is a likely buyer of the DB&O. The NCL itself is a prize to be won by the railroads in the state. Its station is close to the waterfront and a tram ride away from Union Station. It sees no need (at the moment) to build a second union station with the DB&O. It does, however build an interchange track to connect with the DB&O and the future Fukov Rail Bridge.

I added some tram lines around the Gale U area, and a single tram along the river front in West Sanctum, I'll let others suggest roads this time around

I like that one and we could have barges where the future railway bridge would be mooted. That said it does nothing about hooking up the industrial zone. You could also set up the eastern diversion slightly differently and prevent tearing down buildings.

Anyway, we could have rail barges at the mooted future bridge point. This would be my amended proposal (apologies for MS Paint):

You wouldn't build all the roads near the barge terminal right now but we will definitely want sound road access for it as well (especially considering they build up an industrial zone without any...)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

You don't need trams on every road...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What are the advantages/disadvantages of terminus vs through station? I presume the trains could still pull in and then pull out onto the other line making it like a stopping service. A terminus would also make it easier to set up the required number of platforms within a limited space as a through station would require a full set of points etc at both ends taking up lots of city center space.

I'm hovering towards a through station but it looks like it would be more destructive.

That's also why I'm not sold on setting up a barge/bridge right next to the city center as clearing the space for track and infrastructure would be a pain for limited gain in my opinion. Not to mention that being near the river mouth would require a longer and more expensive bridge which will take longer for us to get the technology to build.

Munin fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 8, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Actually never mind we want through stations if possible. I don't think most trains are reversible in a similar way the modern ones are. IIRC they don't have locomotives at both ends.

Failure to think in period there... (again)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah, there are ways and means but all of them would take a good long time to do or involve a lot of faffing about and/or the use of spare locomotives which would again take time. Also, a turntable for engines would not obviate the need for the locomotive to somehow bypass the train to get to the other end. Anyway, looking at the infrastructure needed to properly deal with the ability for trains to back out I don't think it would save a meaningful amount of space.

Essentially, whatever setup we use should be able to easily accommodate through trains.

That said I also think we should set up the bypass line around East Sanctum to deal with freight trains etc which don't use the terminus. Trains which might be heading for the barge terminal would be another example.

Munin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 8, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'd have preferred to do Opiantic-Boltic later when we would have had a real salad to deal with. :D

It would be nice if we could find some way to get double tracks through but that looks rather unlikely if we want to keep both the central Opiantic and Boltic station on the main line. One thing to ease things along would be to make the southern line more accessible so that you could route any freight trains around the lines which need to carry passengers. As an aside, were freight trains a thing in that period or was it mostly mixed? Did it depend on the region?

If we were to set up a park I'd propose setting it up in the clean fresh air of the slopes above Opiantic. It is away from the noisome river and also not prime building land whilst still being very close to the center of town.

East-West Opiantic bridge wise we'd probably should go for two. One above the inlet from the other river and one below.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

First, I'm'assuming that the tracks coming into town are either double tracked or have enough sidings to handle their traffic. So here's my strange idea.

A new rail bridge south west of Opiantic. You'll notice only 3 wyes, it's because there's no need to turn north when crossing to the west side of the river. Traffic from Norham and points south and wants to through Opiantic to Killingham and points north/west will leave Norham on the west side of the river. Traffic from Norham that wants to go through Opiantic to Boltic and points east go on the east side of the river. There are no routes that go from the east side of the river to Killingham, so no need for a wye. Traffic going the other way follows the same segregation. Traffic from Killingham to Norham will follow the west side of the river.

Now passenger trains go between New Dublin, Norham, Opiantic, Killingham (and when a bridge is built, Mutnap). There's a train from Opiantic to Boltic to other cities along the Fukov. Passenger movement from New Dublin and Norham to Boltic requires a transfer at Union Station in Opiantic. If there's ever demand for a Norham-Opiatic-Boltic single seat trip, it will require the train to pull into Opiatic, then back out of that station to get back on the east side of the river. The stations on the east side of the river can be closed to passengers, and demolished or repurposed.

Between Opiantic and Boltic, passenger trains and local freight trains travelling west travel on the north track (making this one way). Track on the south side will be double tracked for passenger trains travelling east and through freight.

The bridge to the rest of Boltic allows east bound passenger and local freight trains to access Union Station in Boltic, whereas through traffic can continue on the east side of the river. I've also added a bridge and track east of Boltic to allow easy connections between Deep Bend and Oliver without going directly through the cities.

As for bridges, from the triangle in Opiatic I've built two bridges to the east and two bridges to the south, as well as a bridge further south down the river. In Boltic I've also built two bridges on either side of the existing road bridge. Finally I've built two bridges along the river between the two cities, as well as expanded the roads a bit. I've also built a park in some empty space between the cities. This can grow farther along the river or up into the mountain if we'd like

For growth in Opiantic, I've built a grid to the south of the city (I hope this is the right area).

I generally approve but we don't need that many bridges at the center, several are right next to each other. I also don't think we should place the park about as far from each city center as possible.

I've amended it slightly:

I've also removed the grid in part because in hindsight I didn't like the one I added in mine for New Sanctum. I presume the expansion will occur on both banks downriver of the current center.

It's nice that the main station is now not cut off by a river from the main road.

Btw, what are the respective rivers called again?

Also, on a more general region note. The road from Killingham to Mutnap and then heading out of the state is still totally un-improved and should really be modernised. Same with the road between New Dublin and Norham. Less urgently as it has other connections to the north might be improving the road from East Hartshire to Summerfield.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The possibility of new Bridges is what I would focus on. Definitely a rail Bridge at Sanctum as planned but I also think an additional road bridge would not go amiss. A bridge near the first "d" of Middleport would also be an idea.

As Volmarias suggests, I also think the East Hartshire => New Hartshire line could fill a niche.

Looking forward to the result Ron Pauls Friend's shenanigans.

[e] We should probably also improve the last of the Indian roads which still remain in use. The one near Fairbrdgie could help expansion as well.

[e2] I love how our public transport initiatives are aiding urban sprawl. :v:

Munin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 12, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

We should also build a road to the quarry. A mining/quarry town might then develop which will go to rack and ruin by the end of the century. :v:

But seriously, if it is a working of any size we really should run a road to it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Second is the building of the Fukov River bridge.

I thought we could also have a rail bridge over it? That looks like a road one (though we most likely should grab a second road bridge as well.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cichlidae, I mentioned it in passing before but could we improve the remaining Indian roads that are still seeing use? Presumably they are serving the communities along them and I wouldn't like to see then left behind.

I presume the ones still shown are the ones still active.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

People shouldn't be too surprised. I mean look at the map. We have about 2 separate rail lines between each city. Depending on how you decide to count around three heading east out of New Sanctum to Fairport. There is the rail salad between Boltic and Deep Bend etc. We'll probably eventually reduce everything down to about five major rail corridors at most.

Possible final(ish) trunks could be:

Fairport => Waterbridge => New Hartshire
Rockington => New Dublin => West/New Sanctum => Millfort => Fairport
New Dublin => Opiantic => Mutnap

One of:
West/New Sanctum => Deep Bend => Middleport => Oliver => Hartshire => Winton
West/New Sanctum => Meridian => Hartshire => Winton

Then possibly:
Waterbridge => Hartshire => Chenchester => Mutnap

Remaining active to provide a cross state link and (probably more importantly) to service the quarry heavy goods traffic.

One of the Opiantic => Deep Bend lines might survive since it's such a small cut through.

My feeling is that the pull of Hartshire would make sure the surviving cross state link passes through it as opposed to:
Waterbridge => Meridian-Middleport => Opiantic

I'm not listing all the stops for these just mentioning enough cities so the route is clear.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Not being a railway oewner I would still suggest keeping the line from Middleport through Meridian to Hartshire open even if the New Sanctum Meridian direct line goes defunct. We should also try to save one of the western cross state lines. My vote there would be for the Chenchester line going past the quarry.

City wise my votes go for Fairport, Middleport-Meridian and Waterbridge.

[e]Those demolition etc pictures were drat nice, thanks for those.

Thanks also for the Built in Britain link posted earlier. So far I prefer the second episode to the first since it seems to talk less about "spend money" and "YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!" and instead really focus on the various projects. The bit where they thread a bridge for the Eurostar through a motorway bridge at around the 6 minute mark of the second episode is rather impressive.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

IMO we should try to maintain access to as many cities as possible, hence perhaps having a merger or something to keep the station in Millfort operational.