Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Oh hey, I just finished reading this whole thread. Only took a year+.

These forums thank you for your service, Chichlidae :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Deteriorata posted:

Probably because they're easier to remove than paint. The lanes may also be narrower than usual, so they don't want people to drift.

Yeah. From my understanding, highway paint is rarely used nowadays, and it's more often a vinyl or plastic chemically bonded to the road surface.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

What the hell is that person driving in the pedestrian path? A golf cart?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Also looks like there was another road heading south from the roundabout to what's now a parking lot, but at some point it was unpaved and replaced with planters and sidewalk.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there a downside to incrementally closing more roads to cars to encourage other forms of traffic like New York and Oakland have been trying? It seems like a remarkably simple idea to deal with excess vehicular traffic, and a lot cheaper than engineering roads for traffic calming measures. And as a bonus if it results in more traffic on the remaining streets that allow cars, that's just more incentive for people to us alternative transportation.

Mainly NIMBYism, I think. You have to do it systematically though, considering all the road network as a whole. Because theoretically the results could be awful if the sole streets not so converted, which become arterial, aren't set up for it and connected to other high-speed roads properly.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Devor posted:

Edit Again:

Maryland just says "bring on that skewed bridge"

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.418...8i6656?hl=en-US

Edit 3:

Just embrace the skew, get yourself a viaduct with a road underneath it

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.267...8i6656?hl=en-US

Yeah, these are all over the place in Maryland. That's... strange? Y'all just expect your bridges to cross roads perpendicularly?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

nah, over the last 25 years american cities have broadly been trying to correct car-based development patterns and infrastructure where they can. for example dallas, texas went from having basically no rail service to building out the longest light rail network in the nation. its not enough relative to new road construction but at least an attempt is being made

I feel like "we're building less mass transit infrastructure than new road construction" is not exactly "trying to correct car-based development patterns"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Devor posted:

a carpool of slugs glaring at you from the passenger seat,

Oh wow, that is a really interesting phenomenon.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jaguars! posted:

I think you meant to post this in the opposite of traffic engineering thread.

Do we even have a traffic architecture thread?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lobsterpillar posted:

I was just at the Australasian road safety conference this week and whew, there's a lot to process.
Key takeaways: we need to make big network wide changes sooner rather than later and should have stopped focusing on efficiency decades ago.

The Netherlands' famed bike-centric design was the result of them deciding exactly that 50 years ago, before which their roads and highways were basically designed the same as in the US and Australia, right?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

So I had to go back to see what's the background there was

lol.

We have the same poo poo nearby, about a mile long, wide-rear end road with no parking, trees, bike lanes, anything. A few years later someone got sufficiently mad so they tore up the streets every 100m or so to make these horrid speed bumps. They're deceptively tall and will easily cause normal ride height cars to scrape.

That's a... speed bump? It looks like a cobblestone crosswalk :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Not Wolverine posted:

According to Google, only New York, New Jersey, South Carolina and Georgia require bicycle bells. It's a cultural thing, American's enjoy plowing over pedestrians with their bicycles, it's why fat tire bikes are so popular.

Aren't those mountain bikes? I believe thin tire bikes are mainly for road use though, yeah. But I've never commuted on a bike since I was in New Zealand, partly because since then I've mainly worked remote jobs, so probably half the time I've ridden a bike has been on trails and in parks.