Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This may have been answered, but are interstates marked the same way everywhere? I don't mean universal signs, but deciding where to place them and such. In Ohio at least they are all a mess, at least half the exit signs point at the wrong lane and it's loving impossible to navigate any area you haven't been to before without having to cut across a bunch of lanes at the last second, which seems to go against the whole point of having signs. Plus no indication when highways change number, or if a local route connects to a major highway.

And signs that point the complete wrong direction. Example: I was driving a state route, 27, which then transformed into 162 without any warning or indication it was still 27 (this was immediately after an exit, suggesting that 27 had split off). The next indication of 27 was a sign that said 27 south and pointed ahead, after I had been traveling on 27 north the entire time, so I got off figuring I missed my exit. Once off, I saw a sign on the connecting road pointing the direction I had been originally going, which said 27 north. 162 was nowhere to be seen, nor any word about south. What the gently caress.

And now that I'm commuting in Cincinnati, I'm curious why it's such a clusterfuck.

That section is maybe five miles and takes somewhere between 40 minutes and an hour to traverse. Is it lovely design or just the volume?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cichlidae posted:

There are standards set forth in the MUTCD, but they're slow to be applied. The latest version is much more stringent on lane arrows and lane markings to make finding the correct lane much easier. Whether or not Ohio will adopt the 2009 MUTCD's standards for those signs and markings is something you'd have to ask the DOT.

In a few places they've started painting the numbers on the lanes themselves, it works really well but of course, there are only like two spots and both of them I've driven a billion times.

Cichlidae posted:

That is pretty weird. Do you have a map of the area?

I believe this is the spot. The 128 crossover is where I got off and right back on.

About a mile south of the area on the map, 27 begins being marked as 27 and 126. The area I marked in red is where it stops mentioning 27 and just says 126, and the red X is about where I saw the sign for 27 south. That whole area is pretty wooded and twists a few times, add in overcast and I had no goddamn idea which direction I was going. Also none of these side roads are marked at all, it's just "Exit # ->"

Cichlidae posted:

Both, and the lack of more alternate routes certainly doesn't help. A city that size should have some circumferential and radial routes to help distribute traffic. If there's just one freeway on that side of the city, it'll get wicked congested.

There is actually a beltway, 275, and kind of a second route. 75 goes to Dayton (which is where I'm headed), 71 goes to Columbus, but I do 71 -> 275 -> 75. It's less congested, but it's longer so it saves maybe five or ten minutes, at best. You can see it on this bigger map:

74 goes off to Indianapolis, so for any long-distance travel there's basically one route.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So on my commute I've noticed there are always two massive traffic jams. One is in the Cincinnati loop, which seems to just be volume. The other will appear in one of two locations, and is always caused by a cop with a radar gun. The speed limit is ridiculously low; I assume they were figured out back when cars started rattling like mexican jumping beans if you got up to 60 and have simply not been adjusted for modern cars. So everybody slams on the brakes and traffic backs up three or four miles. There's often an accident somewhere in there too.

Why are speed limits on highways so low, and why does it seem perfectly acceptable for cops to cause traffic jams/accidents to generate revenue? Though I may have just answered that one myself.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 7, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

At least the radar guns give them ball cancer if they use them a lot. :argh:

It's maddening having to putter along at 55 on a completely flat, straight highway where everybody could easily be going 80/90. I've been enjoying the thread and wish you and your profession no harm but god drat I hate cars and driving, subways are so much more civilized.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you know anything about Las Vegas? I've been working here for a few months and it's the worst-designed city and road system I've ever seen. I'm assuming it just grew so fast that there was zero attempt to plan or organize anything, but I don't really know.

I miss subways. :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

NihilismNow posted:

Is there any developed country with a congestion free freeway system?

There is no such thing by definition. There's a weird phenomenon where adding more capacity just increases the amount of use, so congestion doesn't actually go down. Short of computerized bumper to bumper robot cars there's no way to eliminate it. Good design can make it better, but the only way to actually reduce it is a proper public transportation system that can take the load off the roadways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vegas is the best for weird street names. Observe one example:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...9,0.013797&z=16

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you know anything about the development of Las Vegas? After living there four months I've decided it's the most hosed up city design on the planet and everyone involved in building roads there should be smacked. But I'm curious what the thinking was, or whether the city just grew so fast that they didn't bother planning anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I doubt they'd do that for safety reasons. My uncle is so colorblind he can only tell signals by the position of the light, and I'm sure he's not the only one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

kapinga posted:

How does he drive at night, when you can't necessarily see the other lights? My understanding was the the hues are chosen so that a red light does not appear the same shade as a green light, even if you're red-green colorblind.

He basically can't see colors at all, so it doesn't matter what hue they are. I don't honestly know how he deals with that situation, I imagine you'd get a feel for what the different positions look like if you have to pay attention to that instead of the color. I'm somewhat colorblind myself but not nearly to that extent, so I don't have to use any tricks.

For instance, the red and yellow look like that to me, but green lights often look basically white. I don't know if they're a really light green to people with normal color vision, I assume so. It's not normally an issue since it's obviously different, but at a distance sometimes green lights and streetlights look like the same color so I can't really tell if there's a signal coming up at an unfamiliar intersection until I get close enough to see the actual object.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

This just came up in the Let's Play SimCity4 thread which has informed me that apparently there are left turning roundabouts in places where people drive on the right side of the road. This confuses me and I'd like to know why the hell such a thing would exist as it appears to defeat all the advantages of a roundabout.

It actually turns out I'm an idiot. I don't drive here (there's zero reason to own a car in Korea, which is awesome) and thought it was going the other direction, but it's a right turner.

And I was coming to post a question about said roundabout, because it has multiple traffic lights in it. I thought the point was not to have signals and keep traffic flowing constantly? What's the purpose of building this if it has signals?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Please. Now the Hoover Dam Bypass, that is a scary loving bridge. Putting walls on it high enough that you can't see what you're driving over was probably a wise decision.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What's the point of having police direct traffic if nothing is going on? I get it when there's construction or something, but we'll have cops come out and stand in intersections directing for a couple days, then they're gone for a few weeks, then back for a day, gone, etc. I've seen it happen in the US too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MaxNV posted:

Maybe they're using the intersections to train new officers?

I would imagine you'd have multiple officers in that case. It's just one dude. But maybe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So there's no advantage? I'm not sure Korea has those same problems. And there's no work site, it's just a normal intersection.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

People actually have to be told to remove their sunglasses when entering a tunnel? :eng99:

I wear my sunglasses at night. :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That looks like any intersection at any given time in Korea. The bus I was on this morning almost slammed into a semi truck loaded with hydrogen tanks, which helpfully were only labeled "HYDROGEN GAS" in English and not Korean.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Next you're going to suggest we tax yachts slightly in order to pay for things like a functional government. You communist.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Neutrino posted:

I believe it is newer rules for uniformity throughout the EU.

It makes sense with English becoming/being the common language of Europe. Your options would be native language and confuse visitors, 20 languages so everybody knows, or English. Official signs in Korea are almost always in Korean and English, sometimes also Japanese.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wikipedia told me about a guided busway opening in England, and now that I've read about this I have to ask what the point is. It looks like a light rail system without any of the good parts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

It certainly keeps the petrol companies happier.

See, this is the only thing I could think of. I was hoping it might not be so stupid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Trains are cooler. :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Light rail also has the advantage that trains are awesome and buses suck.

I come from a midwest US town and now live in an entire country (Korea) where there's no reason to own a car. The mass transit is great everywhere, even in my city, which is the largest in the country without a subway. Supposedly we're getting a tram line. We also have the highest rate of car ownership in the country, 37%. :lol:

It's liberating not having to deal with private transport. New York's transit is better but a good bus system does the job.

Hong Kong's mass transit is amazing too, though it still has the giant problem of closing at night.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Wasn't there some case in NYC where they shut down some fairly important and very clogged street and all the traffic "experts" freaked out that it would clog all the nearby streets while a few locals say "nah, they'll just choose another way to get around" and not only did the neighbouring streets not experience the "over-flow" but overall traffic in the area improved?

Not sure about NYC, but Seoul did. They took out a major highway to restore a stream, and not only did traffic not get worse, it decreased. Plus the stream is nice and improved the quality of life in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My favorite awful merge from my hometown.

The I-75/I-35 interchange. The magic happens when you're traveling north on 75 and want to start going east on 35. Can you see it?

Right there. The red line is going from 75 to 35. You're traveling at highway speed here. The blue line is an on-ramp that goes to 35 west. To negotiate this, you have to get off 75 onto this raised road, speed along the concrete barriers, go into a short section (lasts maybe ten seconds) without barriers, cross over from the left lane to the right lane while the blue traffic is also crossing from the right lane to the left lane (or staying right to go east), and do it before the next concrete barrier pops up and kills you. Also, there is virtually always construction here so there are barrels everywhere and the shoulders are closed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korea has the countdown on a lot of the crosswalk lights. The ones on little streets don't, but any major street will have the same dude/hand green/red thing, and then a series of green triangles on the side which count down. It's awesome and really the only way to know if it's safe to cross one of the giant intersections, considering how insane Korean drivers are.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Entropist posted:

The ones we have here do, sort of. The countdown will become faster or slower depending on what is triggered, and sometimes might just jump to the end or stall for a while. Just like progress bars in Windows :v:

Korean ones seem to do that too, but I don't think they use actuated signals at the busy intersections much, it always seems to be the same whether it's rush hour or 3 AM. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't use them at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Honestly it'd be such a pain to try to get something like that passed that we'll probably have automated robot cars that nullify the problem before it'd get done.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SimCity 4 has something called the Network Addon Mod which is absolutely essential. It adds a whole bunch of additional features and fixes the traffic model as much as is possible, so you can have people commuting by rail or highway across multiple cities and whatnot. Huge improvement. There are also add-ons for the mod that give you different highways, high-speed rail, and a couple other bits. It's the best if you want traffic simulation and city stuff instead of a pure traffic simulator like OpenTTD.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

We'd find the money pretty quickly if something major broke. As horrible as it sounds, it'll take a major disaster to make people realize we need to fund infrastructure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Speeding tickets are easier to prove (radar gun log, etc) than stuff like tailgating, failure to keep right, etc. It's hard to prove that I was cruising in the left lane instead of passing verrrrrrryyyyyy sslllllllllloooooowwwwwwllllllyyyyy.

That's why you just need to be like my fine home state of Ohio, which got rid of the requirement for radar gun logs on speeding tickets. Now a cop can just declare that you were speeding and give you a ticket. No evidence is needed, if the cop says you're guilty, you're guilty. Apply the same logic to rear end in a top hat driving! Everyone is guilty! ALWAYS!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Slippery road surface plus pedestrians = awesome idea.

Welcome to Korea, where some sidewalks are so slippery they shine in the light and sidewalks are also roads and parking lots. I wonder why they ever thought that was a good idea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I live on a road just off a rotary. I got a call last night from someone trying to find my house and she said, "I am on the rotary, do I take a right?" to which I replied, "You have to, or else you'll never escape..."

Where are you from? Here they call roundabouts rotaries, and no one I've talked to has ever heard of that anywhere else. We figured it was some weird Korean mistranslation but now I'm wondering if they took it from where you live.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mandalay posted:

When I was in Germany, people seemed really good about following rules and being courteous on the road. I'm not sure how they do it over there.

Getting a license is a huge pain in the rear end and costs like thousands of dollars. Fear rules the roads.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cars are everywhere in China now, I barely saw any bikes in Beijing. Also no one cares about traffic laws or safety in Asia so it doesn't matter. Maybe they do in Japan but not anywhere I've been.

http://beijingcream.com/2012/05/the-basics-of-driving-in-china-a-diagram/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

Reading those diagrams, it all makes such vivid sense.

The original blog has some more fun traffic stuff too. A video of a Beijing left:

http://soimgoingtochina.blogspot.kr/2009/07/live-action-left-turn-2009-beijing.html

And the Chinese Dragon, which is new to me--this one isn't done in Korea as far as I've seen.

http://soimgoingtochina.blogspot.kr/2007/08/oh-what-hey-one-last-traffic-graphic.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

Those signs look like they'd be illegible from 100 meters out. I would have figured that the Chinese characters would be much larger than the Roman letters, given their increased complexity.

The signs here in Korea are small too. There aren't any road names so you're pretty hosed regardless if you don't have GPS and don't know where you're going. SEOUL -> is about the best you can hope for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hedera Helix posted:

Wouldn't these cause drivers to suddenly stop and/or swerve, thus potentially causing more accidents than before?

Yeah those seem ridiculously unsafe to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

i barely GNU her! posted:

Saw something interesting recently - a flashing stop sign. Can't see it in street view, but (at least at nighttime) the STOP text and outline pulse light. A cheap way to increase visibility without resorting to signaling the entire intersection, right?

I was just in Tokyo and saw a lot of signs that were internally lit or flashing. Was pretty cool, definitely made them more visible. They tended to be in areas that didn't have a lot of other lighting, too, rather than just everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How much more of a challenge is building a bridge when big cargo ships have to be able to pass under it? My city has its eastern district on a peninsula across the harbor, and there's no bridge so you have to go all the way around and it takes loving forever to go between those two parts of town. A bridge would be great, but it's one of the busiest ports in Korea so it'd have to be able to accommodate giant freighters going beneath. Obviously the bridge has to be taller but I don't know what real difference it makes in designing and building the thing.

The spot in question: http://goo.gl/maps/dYmkv Going from, say, Dal-dong to Bangeo-dong takes an hour or so as it is, but a straight shot across the harbor is only like three miles. Switch it to satellite and you can see the ship issue. That complex covering the entire right side of the river is Hyundai's major car factory and the left side is a gigantic oil refinery so as you can imagine, lots of ship traffic.