Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ROMAn Reigns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Halloween Jack posted:

This might surprise you, but even though he was only active in the early part of the decade, Backlund was one of the top draws of the 80s and supposedly one of the top all-time draws in the WWE. Savage, Hart, Michaels, and Piper were also big draws in their heyday. Foley was a draw, but he hit his peak working with guys who were draws on their own. Edge, despite his nickname and his zillion title reigns, was a guy more analogous to like, Paul Orndorff: a meaningful draw for a period of several years but not a massive star.

This is always a controversial issue for several reasons. Peak draw vs. longevity. Measuring drawing power it takes two wrestlers to make a match and several matches to make a card. The role of booking in transforming someone from a popular wrestler into a draw. People freaking out if you tell them that HHH was a draw and Sting wasn't, and so on.

if you think about it correctly, there has only been one real draw in history and it is kevin nash

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone in the WWE is a superstar, it's not really supposed to sell Edge as a bigger deal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

This might surprise you, but even though he was only active in the early part of the decade, Backlund was one of the top draws of the 80s and supposedly one of the top all-time draws in the WWE. Savage, Hart, Michaels, and Piper were also big draws in their heyday. Foley was a draw, but he hit his peak working with guys who were draws on their own. Edge, despite his nickname and his zillion title reigns, was a guy more analogous to like, Paul Orndorff: a meaningful draw for a period of several years but not a massive star.

This is always a controversial issue for several reasons. Peak draw vs. longevity. Measuring drawing power it takes two wrestlers to make a match and several matches to make a card. The role of booking in transforming someone from a popular wrestler into a draw. People freaking out if you tell them that HHH was a draw and Sting wasn't, and so on.

In the 90s HBK wasn't really a draw except at house shows in 96. Hart was a draw in Europe and Canada but not really in the US. Neither was close to the heyday of Savage. Backlund wasn't really a top draw of the 80s, he started tailing off badly in 82 and 83 even though business was still hot. Snuka was the one really keeping it hot as he declined.

Historically the real "draws" for WWE over a significant period of time were Rogers, Sammartino, Morales, Backlund (but he tailed off) Hogan, Piper (but only for a few years) Savage, Austin, Foley, Rock, HHH and Cena.

Snuka and Batista were huge for shorter periods of time, along with other guys but everyone who had lasting drawing power is really on that list.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 24, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pope Corky the IX posted:

ECIII's back acne is to the point that the WWE would have to give everyone at ringside plastic sheets as though they were at a Gallagher show.

Odd, I've never seen anything like that during 205 live :confused:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Historically the real "draws" for WWE over a significant period of time were Rogers, Sammartino, Morales, Backlund (but he tailed off) Hogan, Piper (but only for a few years) Savage, Austin, Foley, Rock, HHH and Cena.

The knock I've always heard on Morales is that he couldn't draw outside of New York and didn't connect with audiences who weren't also Puerto Rican. I take it that's bullshit?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Surely Brock Lesnar would have to be in the conversation of major draws throughout history, no?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

Surely Brock Lesnar would have to be in the conversation of major draws throughout history, no?

Not in WWE.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jerry lawler was always a great drawer

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jerry drawler

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Not in WWE.

Not even a little bit?
Just trying to think of some other names for the conversation, where does Randy Orton fit into this whole "draw" business?

Edit: Just thought of one more, how about Flair in his original run with WWE?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Not even a little bit?
Just trying to think of some other names for the conversation, where does Randy Orton fit into this whole "draw" business?

Edit: Just thought of one more, how about Flair in his original run with WWE?

Flair didn't do so hot, they thought Flair would draw vs Hogan and tested it out in some Bay Area house shows and were super disappointed IIRC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

Not even a little bit?

Brock drew above average buyrates for his first two PPVs back, they were good numbers for the time but didn't equal the added expense of having him on the shows. If you want to credit his match with HHH on WM as the big draw for the show you could do that I guess. The only real other show you could say he drew on was WM XX since Goldberg vs Lesnar had a lot of hype behind it, as weird as that is to think in retrospect. He helps house shows and stuff but we're not talking major shifts. He moves number about as much as Punk did during his title run. His first run was seen as disappointing at the time. Didn't mean anything in Japan either.

Randy Orton drew well during his big run from 07-08 and for a year or so after. Nothing giant but he made a noticeable impact.

Getting back to Morales, everything I've seen lately points to him having been really big for his big run in WWE. If it was just Puerto Ricans, well god bless the guy (it wasn't.) Even Carlos Colon couldn't draw like that with Puerto Ricans in the Northeast.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Flair didn't do so hot, they thought Flair would draw vs Hogan and tested it out in some Bay Area house shows and were super disappointed IIRC.

The first run of Hogan vs Flair did really well, the second run did middling numbers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Snuka and Batista were huge for shorter periods of time, along with other guys but everyone who had lasting drawing power is really on that list.
Mostly I was just going off of Meltzer's lists of top draws by decade and all-time draws for WWE. I was surprised at the high placement he gave to guys like Backlund and Orndorff. Backlund was only active until like '83 and his best-remembered WWF gimmick wasn't representative of his work, and since Dave pretty much despised his work at the time, I figured the numbers must be solid for him to come around on Backlund. Orndorff I know did tons of house shows with Hogan, but I figured, y'know, Hogan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Mostly I was just going off of Meltzer's lists of top draws by decade and all-time draws for WWE. I was surprised at the high placement he gave to guys like Backlund and Orndorff. Backlund was only active until like '83 and his best-remembered WWF gimmick wasn't representative of his work, and since Dave pretty much despised his work at the time, I figured the numbers must be solid for him to come around on Backlund. Orndorff I know did tons of house shows with Hogan, but I figured, y'know, Hogan.

Orndorff definitely drew really, really well with Hogan, way better than the baseline.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Orndorff definitely drew really, really well with Hogan, way better than the baseline.

Sold out a stadium!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Event

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nobody talks about this anymore but Orndorff was one of Hulk's best opponents when it comes to drawing power.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
How about Rey Mysterio? Was he ever a draw or was he more of a merch machine?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Another Person posted:

How about Rey Mysterio? Was he ever a draw or was he more of a merch machine?

Yeah I should have included him too, he single handedly made WWE hot in Mexico for a 5 year period and was a significant attraction in the US.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah I should have included him too, he single handedly made WWE hot in Mexico for a 5 year period and was a significant attraction in the US.

Wasn't this also during a pretty meh time for AAA as well? I assume that probably helped a lot. I personally do not miss the like ~4 year "Cibernetico and his lovely friends" era of AAA.

Speaking of draws, no one has ever given me a straight answer on if Cibernetic/Secta/Los Hell Brothers/etc were actually big draws in Mexico. That's basically the only Lucha merch I've ever seen in the wild being worn by actual Latino kids in my neck of the woods, but I'm not sure if this goes hand in hand with those kids also usually being juggalos or goths.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm looking for a short wrestling match that was on YouTube I can't remember the participants of, but I know it's been posted here a lot (probably even in this thread).

The wrestlers are a fat slob bearded white dude and a more in shape Japanese guy. IIRC for some reason the huge dude decides to not sell or work at all, just sort of showboats around for a minute, and then tries to actually attack his opponent for real, so the Japanese dude just knocks him down and out in like five seconds flat. Anyone have the link or know what I'm talking about? Was this scripted? What was the deal?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm looking for a short wrestling match that was on YouTube I can't remember the participants of, but I know it's been posted here a lot (probably even in this thread).

The wrestlers are a huge fat bearded white dude and a more in shape Japanese guy. IIRC for some reason the huge dude decides to not sell or work at all, just sort of showboats around for a minute, and then tries to actually attack his opponent for real, so the Japanese dude just knocks him down and out in like five seconds flat. Anyone have the link or know what I'm talking about? Was this scripted? What was the deal?

Sounds like you're referring to the Great Antonio (the bearded dude) vs Antonio Inoki (the Japanese guy). Inoki really worked him over, IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXAGZtMxU8

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 25, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sounds like you're referring to the Great Antonio (the bearded dude) vs Antonio Inoki (the Japanese guy). Inoki really worked him over, IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXAGZtMxU8

Thank you!!!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
There was a little story about this in one of the old observers I read recently. Basically the Great Antonio came in and was going to get a push (for some god forsaken reason) to the point where they filmed him pulling a bus or something of that nature and showing off his ~INCREDIBLE STRENGTH~. Of course, he immediately got cocky as hell about it, this happened, and he was fired.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Marquis de Pyro posted:

There was a little story about this in one of the old observers I read recently. Basically the Great Antonio came in and was going to get a push (for some god forsaken reason) to the point where they filmed him pulling a bus or something of that nature and showing off his ~INCREDIBLE STRENGTH~. Of course, he immediately got cocky as hell about it, this happened, and he was fired.

Forum favorite David Showmaker wrote about this match. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/wrestlings-greatest-shoots-volume-3-antonio-inoki-vs-the-great-antonio/

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

ECIII is bad.

Derrick Bateman is good tho

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Since we just watched Souled Out 2000, a related question.

How exactly did Benoit and company plan to actually get out of their contracts? They got lucky and Mike Graham accidentally gave them a golden ticket out of the dumpster fire that was WCW, but what if Graham accidentally behaved like a person with an ounce of decorum? What was plan B in that situation?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

websters dictionary defines shoot as,

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Since we just watched Souled Out 2000, a related question.

How exactly did Benoit and company plan to actually get out of their contracts? They got lucky and Mike Graham accidentally gave them a golden ticket out of the dumpster fire that was WCW, but what if Graham accidentally behaved like a person with an ounce of decorum? What was plan B in that situation?

Bill Busch had told the lockerroom he would give a release to anyone who was unhappy when he took over. It was felt that if enough guys (about 15) asked en masse they could push Sullivan out. Worst case the ones who really wanted out could try to hold him to his word. Management then attempted to divide the group, and succeeded but those four plus Douglas remained adamant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like the article but it's hilarious that he describes the match as being between Antonio Inoki and a crazy person.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
When's the best time to buy tickets to a house show if you wanna get a good seat?

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Bill Busch had told the lockerroom he would give a release to anyone who was unhappy when he took over. It was felt that if enough guys (about 15) asked en masse they could push Sullivan out. Worst case the ones who really wanted out could try to hold him to his word. Management then attempted to divide the group, and succeeded but those four plus Douglas remained adamant.

Believe the initial group was:
Eddie
Benoit
Malenko
Saturn
Shane Douglas
Konnan
Kidman
Rey
Juvi

Rey and Juvi were injured at the time so they didn't take their request as legit (Konnan was the one who said they wanted out), Kidman they promised a big push and he decided to stay, Konnan they suspended for some other reason and then he decided to stay. The Observers for that time period were posted a few weeks ago with the full story leading up to and afterwards if you want exact details (including the sad story of Shane Douglas in the aftermath).

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It was far from the first time WCW did a 'if you want out, you'll get your release', and also not the first time WCW went 'oh, but you can't leave Rey'.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

VJeff posted:

When's the best time to buy tickets to a house show if you wanna get a good seat?

Depends where you are, but around here I usually buy rail seats on a balcony the day of the show. floor seats suck poo poo unless you're willing to shell out for the first couple rows.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I want to know if a move/finisher (or some variation of it) exists. This was my imaginary finisher as a child.

Basically, the set-up would be that of a fisherman's suplex or God's Last Gift into a DDT, basically slamming the opponents knee and head down simultaneously after raising them with the leg hooked. Fisherman's Suplex DDT, I guess?

I'm sorry.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I want to know if a move/finisher (or some variation of it) exists. This was my imaginary finisher as a child.

Basically, the set-up would be that of a fisherman's suplex or God's Last Gift into a DDT, basically slamming the opponents knee and head down simultaneously after raising them with the leg hooked. Fisherman's Suplex DDT, I guess?

I'm sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IzIp9Zap5M is the closest I can find.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I'm sorry.

She calls it the RamPaige https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2RV-UkY-fQ

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QW6iUIt56U

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So Starrcade 83 has a match where the time limit is sixty minutes, and it's a mask vs title match, but only for the first fifteen minutes. Like if it goes longer neither stip applies.

Where the Hell did this idea come from? Was it a thing in old school wrestling? Borrowed from some non-worked sport? Or did they really just run low on ideas for Dusty finishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would be an effective mislead today. The crowd is going to expect the match to go over 15 so they can have their cake and eat it too.