Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2114 »
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

Davros1 posted:

Maybe she thought she could pressure Vince into not letting Mick do stupid poo poo by demanding money?

Sounds like she understands the business and her husband a bit better than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yahallo

would be weird if she didnt since its her husband and her husbands business

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another.

MassRafTer posted:

Sounds like she understands the business and her husband a bit better than you.

I'm fairly certain Davros1 was posting that in her favor?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly certain Davros1 was posting that in her favor?

I don't think she was that naive and if I'm not mistaken she went to Vince after a dumb thing happened, since I don't think she was clued in before. Might be wrong about the second part, but I remember her trying to get Mick not to do the dumb poo poo and if he did trying to get more from Vince.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another.

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think she was that naive and if I'm not mistaken she went to Vince after a dumb thing happened, since I don't think she was clued in before. Might be wrong about the second part, but I remember her trying to get Mick not to do the dumb poo poo and if he did trying to get more from Vince.

Yeah sorry if I wasn't clear, this is what I was saying my take on things was and I think Davros1 was agreeing. Just noting that for awhile a few years back, it wasn't uncommon for people to try to characterize it as her ruthlessly exploiting Mick.

Still no idea if this is the cryptic thing that Disgusting Coward mentions hearing veiled references too on other forums or not.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

On Something to Wrestle With Prichard says that Vince would try to dissuade Foley from doing nasty bumps but Foley would somehow convince Vince that he could do them safely/not get hurt by them.

freeranger
Jan 7, 2006

Does Rick Rude ever get associated with DX at all these days? Had he not died and returned to the WWE, would he be counted as a member of DX?

No doubt I've missed some info on him, but I never hear mention of him and DX, not compared to obviously Xpac, Billy Gunn & Road Dogg.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Band-aids don't fix arrow wounds

freeranger posted:

Does Rick Rude ever get associated with DX at all these days? Had he not died and returned to the WWE, would he be counted as a member of DX?

No doubt I've missed some info on him, but I never hear mention of him and DX, not compared to obviously Xpac, Billy Gunn & Road Dogg.
He was part of DX version 1, which is much less talked about because they really weren't that eventful. WWE has a very revisionist history so you're only ever going to hear about when DX were the very top act and Triple H was a total badass rebel that "Drove a tank to a WCW show"

As far as I remember, Rude was only in the faction from like late summer until the Montreal Screw Job in November.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Foley's book goes into detail about the Colette "negotiating" thing.

Basically after the Taker/Mankind HiaC, she was completely terrified of him ever doing such a thing again and wanted him to retire if not at least dramatically tone down the spots he took.
He argued that he absolutely needed those spots in order to keep his heat.
After a lot of arguing, Colette eventually realized that Mick wasn't going to stop so at the very least he ought to negotiate with Vince from a dramatic pay raise since he was likely shortening his career.
Mick was hesitant to bring it up himself, so Colette went to meet Vince directly and Vince agreed with her.

Of course a lot of "sleaze" sites try to spin it as that Colette was a cold manipulative mastermind trying to negotiate large pay-offs using the offer of Foley doing increasingly risky spots as leverage, which of course is demonstrably false since other that the "I Quit" match at RR '99 (which went horribly wrong from what was planned) nothing Foley ever did again was even as close to as dangerous as the Taker/Mankind HiaC.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at Aug 21, 2017 around 05:58

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

RealFoxy posted:

He was part of DX version 1, which is much less talked about because they really weren't that eventful. WWE has a very revisionist history so you're only ever going to hear about when DX were the very top act and Triple H was a total badass rebel that "Drove a tank to a WCW show"

As far as I remember, Rude was only in the faction from like late summer until the Montreal Screw Job in November.

If I remember right, Rude jumped to Nitro. (He might have even been on both shows that week since back then raw was only taping on Monday's and Tuesday's every other week.) I remember they brought out Harvey Wippleman with DX the next week and HHH made a comment along the lines of, "wow, he was really hard to replace.."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

life's all about the ups and downs, baby

Rude was on all three promotions’ shows that week; RAW was taped so he was on that, he had been working freelance and quit after the Screwjob, where he walked out on Nitro, clean-shaven; and because he was working freelance he was also doing commentary with Styles on ECW Hardcore TV that week.

So for a single week Rick Rude was seemingly everywhere.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Objectively the best week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shiki Dan posted:

Foley's book goes into detail about the Colette "negotiating" thing.

Basically after the Taker/Mankind HiaC, she was completely terrified of him ever doing such a thing again and wanted him to retire if not at least dramatically tone down the spots he took.
He argued that he absolutely needed those spots in order to keep his heat.
After a lot of arguing, Colette eventually realized that Mick wasn't going to stop so at the very least he ought to negotiate with Vince from a dramatic pay raise since he was likely shortening his career.
Mick was hesitant to bring it up himself, so Colette went to meet Vince directly and Vince agreed with her.

Of course a lot of "sleaze" sites try to spin it as that Colette was a cold manipulative mastermind trying to negotiate large pay-offs using the offer of Foley doing increasingly risky spots as leverage, which of course is demonstrably false since other that the "I Quit" match at RR '99 (which went horribly wrong from what was planned) nothing Foley ever did again was even as close to as dangerous as the Taker/Mankind HiaC.

You can tell this is true because "Vince agrees to pay Mick much better for dangerous spots, then never does one again" just feels right.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

Iirc after HiaC didn't Vince go to Foley and thank him profusely and then tell him never do anything like that again?

I remember reading that years ago. I don't remember the source.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

I think it's in Have A Nice Day, I've read it too.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

madam, your hydraulic pressure is atrocious!

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Iirc after HiaC didn't Vince go to Foley and thank him profusely and then tell him never do anything like that again?

I remember reading that years ago. I don't remember the source.

magnum_valentino posted:

I think it's in Have A Nice Day, I've read it too.

So the source doesn't remember it either.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also it was Terry Funk's idea. Conversation went like

Funk: I know, he can throw you off the cage. *laughs*

Mick: Yeah, then I can go back up and do it again.

Both: *laugh*

Mick: ...wait I think I can actually pull that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldskool
Aug 9, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CityMidnightJunky posted:

You know I don't think I've ever heard Rock's side of this story. From how Foley describes it in his book, the plan was for there to be 4-5 chair shots max, spaced a couple of minutes apart, to build up the tension so the shots seemed worse than they were. But then Rock decided to change minutes to seconds, and hit an unsuspecting Foley so many times he forgot how to dress himself properly (I'm just assuming that's how it happened whenever I see a picture of him in a fanny pack and a leopard skin sweater).

Has Rock ever mentioned what happened from his pov?

Foley clearly feeds him the first two. The remaining nine, two actively knock him down (including the last one, a wicked shot to the back of the head that put Foley flat on his face so they could do the pre-recorded I Quit gently caress finish) and the rest he either charges through or staggers away from.

Reminiscent of the Cactus/Sandman frying pan incident, Foley's out on his feet and refusing to stay down & Rock doesn't have much choice but to keep pelting him until he goes down.

«2114 »