Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2399 »
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can eat anything.

Fun Shoe

What are some of the biggest events that have "exposed" the business? Things like Austin giving the worst Schoolboy to Owen after his neck broke, or anything involving David Flair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are some of the biggest events that have "exposed" the business? Things like Austin giving the worst Schoolboy to Owen after his neck broke, or anything involving David Flair.

https://www.apnews.com/eca94e958509fcd2842cc0a384056ae3

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I forget the website but it had a bunch of news articles of back in the day of "is wrestling fake?". My favorite took place around the early 1900's there were 2 guys throwing punches at each other for 2 hours in some wild brawl before they escaped into some caravan for a half hour, came out visibly drunk and continued brawling for another hour.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The business was already hell of exposed but Vince did a cold open on RAW one night and basically said "hey, we all know this is stupid and fake so now that we have that out of the way let's get down to what you're really here for" and it ruled

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

What is considered to be the best Goldberg match? The DDP Halloween Havoc match seems pretty good. It feels like it's all DDP but still.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Staying healthy due to sheer coincidence.

Goldberg vs Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

I liked his AJPW stuff, short and sweet matches.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What is considered to be the best Goldberg match? The DDP Halloween Havoc match seems pretty good. It feels like it's all DDP but still.
Cagematch has his highest rated by both Meltzer and the fans on the website as Goldberg vs Scott Steiner from Fall Brawl 2000. I'm not sure if I've seen it or not, but to be better than the DDP match must make it kinda impressive?

I'm still a fan of the WM33 match against Lesner because it was just a quick five minute match and nobody expected it at the time.

Bias, but he had a good Ladder Match against Scott Hall at Souled Out 1999 in which they never showed the backstage stuff to us in the live crowd so Goldberg was just walking with a limp and all we had to go on was "Goldberg slipped on his piss" from Scott Hall's promo before the match

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2019 around 04:00

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TTBF posted:

Goldberg vs Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000

I'll have to watch it again but I also can't look past BUT GOLDBERG REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT as part of the build. And is this the Vince Russo brain surgery match?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RealFoxy posted:

I'm still a fan of the WM33 match against Lesner because it was just a quick five minute match and nobody expected it at the time.

Bias, but he had a good Ladder Match against Scott Hall at Souled Out 1999 in which they never showed the backstage stuff to us in the live crowd so Goldberg was just walking with a limp and all we had to go on was "Goldberg slipped on his piss" from Scott Hall's promo before the match

I remember the Lesnar match being good and the latter sounds really funny.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Staying healthy due to sheer coincidence.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'll have to watch it again but I also can't look past BUT GOLDBERG REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT as part of the build. And is this the Vince Russo brain surgery match?

No clue. I just recalled that match getting ****1/4 from Dave when I was looking for Goldberg's best match last year.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King of the Pirates?

Raven vs Goldberg at Nitro was a really good match IMO as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHucO5nKAdg

It wasn't a typical Goldberg squash and this was almost the peak of Goldberg's popularity. Shouldn't be a shocker since Raven and Goldberg are involved but there's a lot of shots to the head including Goldberg ramming his loving face into a chair instead of protecting himself

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008
Good luck with your depression!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

bartok
May 10, 2006

hey!
hey!
it's me kane!
hello!

Is there a reason why WWE doesn't treat the KSA events like house shows and just not air them on their network or promote them on air?
It would still be a super lovely place to hold an untelevised house show but it wouldn't seem quite as lovely if they were hush hush about it like when a Nicki Minaj or a Jennifer Lopez are hired to perform at the birthday party of some horrific dictator.

Critical
Aug 22, 2007

My name is Doof. My world is fire. And ROCK.

bartok posted:

Is there a reason why WWE doesn't treat the KSA events like house shows and just not air them on their network or promote them on air?
It would still be a super lovely place to hold an untelevised house show but it wouldn't seem quite as lovely if they were hush hush about it like when a Nicki Minaj or a Jennifer Lopez are hired to perform at the birthday party of some horrific dictator.

Propaganda doesn't work if it's not broadcast.

Edit to be more clear: The shows are not in any way for the people of KSA. KSA paid WWE an obscene amount of money to create 5 hour commercials for KSA that happen to feature wrestling. The first one had literal propaganda videos shown on the stream iirc.

Critical fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2019 around 16:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

bartok posted:

They're not being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to put on wrestling shows. The money is for them to show propaganda in the US for Mohammad bin Salman and Vision 2030.

And just to add to that, WWE probably wouldn't be facing as much criticism and anger if they were just holding wrestling shows there. People wouldn't be happy, but it would be a very different situation from accepting money from the government to be part of their propaganda that is being used to cover up literal genocide.

Big Bidness fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2019 around 16:52

«2399 »