Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It's been a while since I've watched it, but perhaps that El Generico vs. Kota Ibushi vs. Nick Jackson vs. Jigsaw match from King of Trios 2009 fits with what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gavok posted:

It's been a while since I've watched it, but perhaps that El Generico vs. Kota Ibushi vs. Nick Jackson vs. Jigsaw match from King of Trios 2009 fits with what you're looking for.
This is my go-to "Show a non-wrestling fan one single match" because it always blows their minds.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ishii vs Okada from the 2016 G1 has a really hot finishing sequence, even by Okada’s standards

it also has Okada going for the Rainmaker pose only for Ishii to jump up and lariat the gently caress out of him

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Okada/Omega from the 2017 G1 has the story of them going a million miles an hour to beat the 30-minute time limit, and it's pretty amazing how neither guy looks slowed down or blown up by the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mob posted:

With a few exceptions the vast majority of female WWE gear is a sports bra variant and very high cut shorts, whoever started the trend probably went with nylons for all the reasons listed above and I'd imagine they cover gear stuff in some Performance Center class

Ahhh... Performance Center 101 actually does kind of feel like the "answer" I was looking for of where it came from so universally so seemingly suddenly. That makes sense a the reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah despite the super sexualization back then it seems like most of the women wore long pants.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I wasn't so much confused by the "Why?" as much as the "Why now?" Like I did mention the "guys don't have it/is it sexism?" thing and there's probably an element of that in play somewhere, even if its just internalized with the guys or something. But I didn't get why it came out of nowhere unless it was some WWE mandate. But it makes sense that its just something that became popularized/standard in the Performance Center/NXT with trainees and then spread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A lot of the guys do have it, though? They're not sheer, but most dudes wearing long tights are actually wearing trunks over them, that just happen to match the tights.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure but there's women who wear long tights/pants too. Its the nylons thing that stands out and which the guys like Orton and Balor clearly aren't doing. But with the women it seems to be 100% which struck me as odd.

But the fact that so much of the women's roster graduated from NXT/PC in the last 5 years or so does sort of make sense that they'd all pick it up in the same training area.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

RealFoxy posted:

I was re-watching Shibata vs Ishii from the G1 Climax a while back and now I'm interested in some of the best wrestling "Sprints" of all time? I'm talking about the best say, 5-10 minutes where everyone gives everything they've got to someone and they just keep getting back up.

Coaaab posted:

Kawada vs Taue - 01/15/1991 - It's more Taue's show, but Kawada is a big ol' bastard in this. Just two young guns going full force at one another to get the crowd hot. Worked in a brawling style that neither man nor AJPW would ever really go back to.
Also, Mochizuki/Ohtani Super J Cup, the ending of that one Bryan/Punk match where they start slapping each other while in the figure four(?)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MrBling posted:

If it is the match from the WCW North Korea show it should be on either youtube or dailymotion, if you can't find it let me know and I should be able to pull it out of my archives and put it up on dailymotion.

Yeah, its the Collision in Korea event, which is the only time they wrestled. I hadn't found anything on YouTube when searching for it, but it turns out I should have just searched for the event as that's up in full.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

RealFoxy posted:

I was re-watching Shibata vs Ishii from the G1 Climax a while back and now I'm interested in some of the best wrestling "Sprints" of all time? I'm talking about the best say, 5-10 minutes where everyone gives everything they've got to someone and they just keep getting back up.

KENTA vs Ricky Marvin is the best sub-five minute match.

https://youtu.be/EpJpe4jZhNA

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Masakatsu Funaki vs Tatsuo Nakano. Its very violent and contains the greatest alabama slam of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFTv8KSx2RA

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My mind is blanking. Is there a "high" and "low" equivalent term for midcard? Highcard and lowcard don't sound right.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Main event and Opener. Further, enhancement talent or Jobber.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My mind is blanking. Is there a "high" and "low" equivalent term for midcard? Highcard and lowcard don't sound right.

Upper and Lower is what I've seen.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Openers (mentioned on the program but no match listed)
Midcard (the matches listed right under the main event)
Main Eventers (The large font matches/photos on the programs)

The terms came from how they promote the show. Now you can look at it this way but it isn't locked to this anymore. sometimes a main eventer will be in the opening match. sometimes a big feud is too big to hold off anymore and ends up starting the show. sometimes (in wwe's case) they want to gently caress with people watching illegally so they put something big on early while everyone who is pirating is struggling to get set up or so (I recall a rumble or a summer slam doing this)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Preliminaries/Prelims is another one for the opening matches as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AkumaHokoru posted:

Openers (mentioned on the program but no match listed)
Midcard (the matches listed right under the main event)
Main Eventers (The large font matches/photos on the programs)
Hey, wait a minute. This is just the menu from the Nitro Grill!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I looked into Gillberg a little after reading the New Blood Rising review over in Kiwi's thread and noticing the "GOLDBERG FEARS GILLBERG" sign.

...was Gillberg actually over? It sounds like he was literally the comedy-jobber-est of comedy jobbers, and yet they've brought him back as a part-timer several times and that sign exists.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I looked into Gillberg a little after reading the New Blood Rising review over in Kiwi's thread and noticing the "GOLDBERG FEARS GILLBERG" sign.

...was Gillberg actually over? It sounds like he was literally the comedy-jobber-est of comedy jobbers, and yet they've brought him back as a part-timer several times and that sign exists.

He was WWF Light Heavyweight champion

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Only because, by all appearances, they literally forgot they gave him the title

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Only because, by all appearances, they literally forgot they gave him the title

STILL COUNTS

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

oh poo poo is that what they called their appetizers and main course? WWF new York didn't do that level of tie-ins with the menu though all of the items were named after a wrestler or a finisher

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

AkumaHokoru posted:

oh poo poo is that what they called their appetizers and main course? WWF new York didn't do that level of tie-ins with the menu though all of the items were named after a wrestler or a finisher
https://wcwworldwide.tumblr.com/post/93836893234/wcw-nitro-grill-ad-menu

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

LOL at the menu item that's just 3 whole chicken breasts and two baked potatoes

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Dacap posted:

A.k.a the SCOTT STEINER SPECIAL

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

I think you mean the Big Boys' Favourite!

(Although it is the one item that reads like a wrestler had input on the menu. I know a lot of the bigger dudes would probably order that at Wendy's or Cracker Barrel or whatever.)

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

that photoshop of goldberg holding a fork and knife :discourse:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AkumaHokoru posted:

I feel like I had this same exact conversation with someone in this thread a year ago, but WWF New York did not, for whatever reason, give punny or even wrestling names to most of their menu items.

Here, have a picture:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
jesus that's a tiny loving picture

Takuan
May 6, 2007

This is tumblr... page? Blog? Site? Is the only good thing on tumblr.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would order a Woooo! in a heartbeat

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

They named an entire section of the menu after Disco Inferno's finisher. God bless WCW.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

What do commentators do the rest of the week? Help develop talent if they're wrestlers? Book matches, any writing?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sharparoni posted:

What do commentators do the rest of the week? Help develop talent if they're wrestlers? Book matches, any writing?

Todd Pettengill gave a really good interview a couple years ago explaining what his job entailed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG5IoZZTMTA

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Halloween Jack posted:

A sundae called WCW The Whirled.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

RealFoxy posted:

This is my go-to "Show a non-wrestling fan one single match" because it always blows their minds.

For sure, this is the match that got me into wrestling. El Generico was the coolest poo poo

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Who is the big bald guy trainer who isn't Albert at the Performance Centre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

MisterGBH posted:

Who is the big bald guy trainer who isn't Albert at the Performance Centre?

Scrap Iron Adam Pearce?