Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Was Davey on coke during his legendary match with Bret at SummerSlam '92? I could swear I've read somewhere,maybe in Bret's autobiography,a bout Davey getting coked out of his mind before matches.

Alternatively, are there any known matches of note that involved one or both workers being high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve heard people complain about Indy guys slapping their legs to imitate a chopping noise. However unlike say stomping while punching I’ve never really noticed it. Can someone post a clip of it occurring?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s the crack sound from any superkick or knee strike.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

It’s the crack sound from any superkick or knee strike.

I figured as much, but I never actually notice it. Are people just pissed about the noise? It seems likely me an odd thing to complain about since it’s good foley/fx for a move.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Was Davey on coke during his legendary match with Bret at SummerSlam '92? I could swear I've read somewhere,maybe in Bret's autobiography,a bout Davey getting coked out of his mind before matches.

Alternatively, are there any known matches of note that involved one or both workers being high?

Yeah, Bret said it in his book, but according to him, he's the only reason any match he's ever been in has been good, so grain of salt and all that.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I figured as much, but I never actually notice it. Are people just pissed about the noise? It seems likely me an odd thing to complain about since it’s good foley/fx for a move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZoHC4Hs36I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofNuYQ05-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJnbAi0wek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygfRriIf4U

tl;dr: they do it way too often (even when the strike doesn't warrant such a sound effect, such as when it outright misses) and it's like the hairdryer pop in that once you notice it's there it's p much impossible to stop noticing it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HBK is one of the worst. He was when I really first noticed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAIoU9igG0

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

A superkick isn’t a superkick without the slap

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow now I really do notice it. Thank you guys for all the clips the Cole one and the HBK ones are really obvious. I kind of regret asking now lol. I mean I still do love it when it’s done well because it makes the hit sound really sickening, but I can totally see how guys overusing it or doing a lovely job at it. Lcan be a huge problem.

That Corino CW Anderson story is goddamn amazing.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, Bret said it in his book, but according to him, he's the only reason any match he's ever been in has been good, so grain of salt and all that.

Davey is quite visibly blown up by the 4th minute into the match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

You sure are salty about Bret Hart for some weird reason.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

For me, nobody was ever more obvious doing the slap than CM Punk with his knees to the corner. With superkicks, it goes with the motion. With the jumping knee, it looked like Punk was celebrating the hit by smacking his rear end.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Gavok posted:

For me, nobody was ever more obvious doing the slap than CM Punk with his knees to the corner. With superkicks, it goes with the motion. With the jumping knee, it looked like Punk was celebrating the hit by smacking his rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GkuXaNYnJ4

checks out

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hbk sure loved the desperation super kick and then collapse to the mat spot

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

oldpainless posted:

Hbk sure loved the desperation super kick and then collapse to the mat spot

You're thinking of Dolph Ziggler

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

You're thinking of Dolph Ziggler

Nothing makes Ziggler more boring than him doing this virtually every time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgheLESXid8

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uTCHS8KHdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8XhLyaHovg

Kennel fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 16, 2018

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Also on the topic of Summerslam 92 and being in no condition to perform, Hawk during his match on that show. It's the perfect match if you want to see a drugged up man question over several seconds whether he should sell being hit or not.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
D'you reckon Carlos Cabrera gets a Hall Of Fame spot?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Gavok posted:

Pretty sure he was just checking for lumps

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

There was a worked match in WCW where Scott Hall pretended (:tinfoil:) to be drunk as part of a storyline. Not what you asked for but still a historically related thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There was a worked match in WCW where Scott Hall pretended (:tinfoil:) to be drunk as part of a storyline. Not what you asked for but still a historically related thing.

Scott Hall drank beer in the middle of matches

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If booze counts then literally every Sandman match.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

You sure are salty about Bret Hart for some weird reason.

I'm not a big fan of him. :shrug:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There’s a tag match from 2003 or so where Jeff Hardy is so high that he’s constantly out of position for spots, leading to Rico standing on the top turnbuckle for like a minute straight, yelling “Goddammit Jeff, get over here!!”

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo this has broken my brain. But also lmao.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This man thought he could when a MMA fight

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Davros1 posted:

This man thought he could when a MMA fight

September 10th, 2016.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Who was the first heel you cheered for and do you remember why?

For example, I always backed Owen against Bret during their feud because I'm a younger brother who felt overshadowed by a big brother who wasn't as great as everyone said he was. I was a little kid at the time.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Regal. Because he was British and I liked his suplexes.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Demolition because of their theme song.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Tajiri. Because Tajiri rules.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

NikkolasKing posted:

Great Muta when he had the TV title, was the coolest dude ever when he wasn't fighting Sting

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

NikkolasKing posted:

Does "HOROWITZ WINS HOROWITZ WINS HOROWITZ WINS" count? Because the "pat on the back" was a Heel move, right?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Chris Jericho, and mostly because I thought he was cool as gently caress and funny as hell. I think I was almost as happy when he won the Undisputed Title and beat The Rock for the WCW title as I was when Foley won the belt in 1999.

Y2J forever

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Because the "pat on the back" was a Heel move, right?

It's a beautiful heel move and after watching some of his matches I'm pretty sure Barry Horowitz was pretty good at wrestling. Too bad he had a schlubby regular guy appearance instead of looking cool.

I mean like if Barry Horowitz had a Rick Rude or Scott Hall body he would have been unstoppable

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

For example, I always backed Owen against Bret during their feud because I'm a younger brother who felt overshadowed by a big brother who wasn't as great as everyone said he was. I was a little kid at the time.

Demoliton

because they looked like post-aplocalyptic leather fetishists and I thought that meant they are real tough dudes

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

NikkolasKing posted:

Razor Ramon for me. (Bad) Guy was just sooooo cool.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

titties posted:

It's a beautiful heel move and after watching some of his matches I'm pretty sure Barry Horowitz was pretty good at wrestling. Too bad he had a schlubby regular guy appearance instead of looking cool.

I mean like if Barry Horowitz had a Rick Rude or Scott Hall body he would have been unstoppable

Also, maybe don't give him Hava Nagila for entrance music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think it was probably Taz or RVD because cheering heels was a cool ECW thing that appealed to a shitheaded teenager like me