Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

Until he got hurt,Martel was a good midcarder for WCW.

"Aside from all of the career ending injuries, it was a good 2 month run"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

With World of Sport starting next week on ITV with a pretty sweet TV deal we might need a thread for discussion. Do you think we'd be better served by a dedicated thread or a general British/European wrestling thread?

That's cool, when is it airing?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

That's cool, when is it airing?

July 28th at 5pm.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've started watching OSW Reviews; has anyone ever revealed who the original opening singer was supposed to be, that no showed and got replaced by Okerlund?

I gave a quick look around the internet and didn't see anything. AFAIK it's never been said

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

NikkolasKing posted:

Who was the first heel you cheered for and do you remember why?

All I knew as a kid is that The Dungeon of Doom were like real life super villians and honest to god I thought they had real life magic powers.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Were the Headshrinkers or the Orient Express presented as full 3-man units at any point? Or did Seone/Kato just replace Samu/Sato outright?

I’m assuming it’s the latter because I recall the whole Ax/Smash/Crush thing feeling very different and novel to me when it happened.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Make the brit wres thread

Euro Wres makes more sense imo. You've got WXW and OTT as well, they both have things happening, imo.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Minidust posted:

Were the Headshrinkers or the Orient Express presented as full 3-man units at any point? Or did Seone/Kato just replace Samu/Sato outright?

I’m assuming it’s the latter because I recall the whole Ax/Smash/Crush thing feeling very different and novel to me when it happened.

You are correct, Seone and Sato were replacements.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Stealth Tiger posted:

I have been a fan of Ric Flair and Arn Anderson since pretty much day 1. And I totally understand all the Razor Ramon mentions. All those awful goofy gimmicks from the early 90s, and Scott just strutted out there bigger than everybody else wearing all this jewelry and talking slower, because he didn't need to say very much. It really made him stand out. Everyone else just came across like desperate try-hards.

Honestly, I see a bit of him in Naito

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kato replaced Sato, but Sato came back a while later for a handful of 6 man matches before leaving again.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm reading Chris Charlton's new book and decided I need to look into some UWF as they're about the only Japanese company I never bothered to at least check out. What are some matches or shows I should check out?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

July 28th at 5pm.

Brilliant, thanks.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

On the 'first heel you cheered for' bit, I think it was Demolition. Maybe the Mountie because :canada:

But the real thing I wanted to say was I went to an ROH show a few months ago and there was a kid there, maybe 5 years old, who was SUPER into Rhett Titus of all people. He kept screaming SQUISH HIM RHETT CRUSH HIM. So for that kid his answer might be Rhett Titus which is hilarious to me

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I honestly got into wrestling a little late for my age group in school so around sometime in the 2000s and I loved HHH. I still remember the first time I showed my cousin wrestling and he got really really heated when he beat the poo poo out of Earl Hebner on a RAW or something

Also makes me think of how my grandpa would always get really angry when I watched wrestling because it was “fake bullshit” and then Kane chokeslammed a ref and he got mad and was like “and now this guy is beating up a harmless ref! He should be in jail!”

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

On the 'first heel you cheered for' bit, I think it was Demolition. Maybe the Mountie because :canada:

But the real thing I wanted to say was I went to an ROH show a few months ago and there was a kid there, maybe 5 years old, who was SUPER into Rhett Titus of all people. He kept screaming SQUISH HIM RHETT CRUSH HIM. So for that kid his answer might be Rhett Titus which is hilarious to me

thats probably his kid lol

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a Zack Sabre Sr?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Is there a Zack Sabre Sr?

Nope

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In the Observer, Dave reports that Negro Casas wants to wrestle El Hijo del Santo at his 40th anniversary show but says that won't happen because of all the heat between Santo and CMLL. What is the heat between them about

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who do you figure wears the staunchest muffler in the ring.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

who do you figure wears the staunchest muffler in the ring.

Obviously not Dusty’s since it abandoned him the first moment it had a chance to

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hypothetical question; let's say Vince decides not to buy out all those WCW contracts that he eventually did. Does the XWF have a chance? It blows my mind that there was a fed (even if only for a short while) that had a ton of WCW refugees, WWF people, and new talent, in 2001. The episodes I skimmed on YouTube had what seemed like hot crowds; I assume they were told to cheer, or it was faked in, being a Universal Studios lot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hypothetical question; let's say Vince decides not to buy out all those WCW contracts that he eventually did. Does the XWF have a chance? It blows my mind that there was a fed (even if only for a short while) that had a ton of WCW refugees, WWF people, and new talent, in 2001. The episodes I skimmed on YouTube had what seemed like hot crowds; I assume they were told to cheer, or it was faked in, being a Universal Studios lot.

There were two of them. WWA started up in the fall of 2001. It didn't have a chance. No TV station was interested in them even with TV pilots filmed. The product was mostly bad and they were clearly going to just rely on the WCW wrestlers as headliners which wasn't going to work.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A while back I wrote a listicle on the 100 worst WrestleMania moments. I'm thinking of doing the 40-50 worst Summerslam moments. I don't really have the time to sit through every Summerslam, so refreshing my memory with Wikipedia is good enough.

That said, are there any non-match dumb moments of Summerslam worth recalling? Interviews, backstage segments, etc?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ITS MY WAY OR THE HIGH ROAD

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

A while back I wrote a listicle on the 100 worst WrestleMania moments. I'm thinking of doing the 40-50 worst Summerslam moments. I don't really have the time to sit through every Summerslam, so refreshing my memory with Wikipedia is good enough.

That said, are there any non-match dumb moments of Summerslam worth recalling? Interviews, backstage segments, etc?

Divas dodgeball.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gavok posted:

The LOD/Road Warrior entrance with Rocco at Summerslam 92

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What were paydays like in the 80s? Something like a Wrestlemania match, and even the Main Event at Wrestlemania? Obviously the top stars like Hogan are going to get a huge check but how huge were they then?

Also, is there conventional wisdom on which era was "bigger", the 80s or Attitude era? I think what I've heard before was that the 80s drew less but lasted longer compared to the Attitude era.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Gavok posted:

The floating poop from the Summerslam 96 pre show.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

CopywrightMMXI posted:

KOTR Winner Stone Cold Steve Austin being in the preshow match too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What were paydays like in the 80s? Something like a Wrestlemania match, and even the Main Event at Wrestlemania? Obviously the top stars like Hogan are going to get a huge check but how huge were they then?

Also, is there conventional wisdom on which era was "bigger", the 80s or Attitude era? I think what I've heard before was that the 80s drew less but lasted longer compared to the Attitude era.
it wasn’t until Austin came along that the WWF could draw big crowds anywhere in the country

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gavok posted:

Leslie Nielsen trying to find the Undertaker.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Numero6 posted:

KOTR Winner Stone Cold Steve Austin being in the preshow match too.

Ah, yes. In a match against Yokozuna where he suspiciously never touched the ring ropes.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

jesus WEP posted:

ITS MY WAY OR THE HIGH ROAD

it's my rules or the highway

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ruck fules

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Baron Corbin posted:

it's my rules or the highway
oh yeah that was it. Or did he say both?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

... go on...

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
The phone giveaway contest at Summerslam 1997 with Todd Pettengill and Sunny is some of the cringiest and time-wasting poo poo on ANY big 4 PPV in WWF history, and would be worse if not for Sunny's outfit.

Also the Brother Love segment in 88 with Jim Duggan. What a total waste of time.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 22, 2018

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The pre-show that year featured the talent having a pool party in an above ground pool backstage. At one point, everyone freaks out and jumps out of the pool for what looks like a dookie log at the bottom of the pool. TL Hopper retrieves it and takes a bite, as it’s actually a Baby Ruth bar. Basically I think Vince finally saw Caddyshack the week before and thought it was hilarious.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIn1v8ERRCk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

TL posted:

The pre-show that year featured the talent having a pool party in an above ground pool backstage. At one point, everyone freaks out and jumps out of the pool for what looks like a dookie log at the bottom of the pool. TL Hopper retrieves it and takes a bite, as it’s actually a Baby Ruth bar. Basically I think Vince finally saw Caddyshack the week before and thought it was hilarious.

Ah, this makes sense. For some reason I automatically assumed it was a shoot poop.