Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What would be worse: watching all of TNA's tape history, or watching WCW from 99-01 over and over to the same length as TNA has existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What would be worse: watching all of TNA's tape history, or watching WCW from 99-01 over and over to the same length as TNA has existed?

The latter. TNA has a decent amount of bright spots and you get to watch AJ Styles grow as a wrestler, a handful of fun feuds, and the stupid stuff is funnier on the whole, IMO.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I'd say end of life wcw was worse too but tna was maybe the closest to it if you have an observer sub the Bryan and vinny retro raw/nitros have been hilarious the past couple of weeks as they're getting into the meat of awful wcw.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm angry at whoever hurt them enough that they cannot find joy in KAZE NI NARE
I got to KAZE NI NARE at least 4 times in New Orleans and it was orgasmic every time.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Regarding ref bumps I've always liked the Tim white hell in a cell bump, number 3 on this countdown https://youtu.be/up9oc3A0OpI

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Coaaab posted:

While trying to see if I had the gif of Sandman fan (I didn't), I did find these:

Related:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Man David Duchovny went through some poo poo in the late 90s

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Who was the first person to point to the Wrestlemania sign after winning the Royal Rumble? Did they always have the Wrestlemania sign there?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It was The Undertaker, because he was still doing that gimmick where he would come down from the rafters and wouldn't speak and JJ Dillon kept on being a dick about "not knowing" what he wanted unless he spoke when everyone knew

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Cavauro posted:

It was The Undertaker, because he was still doing that gimmick where he would come down from the rafters and wouldn't speak and JJ Dillon kept on being a dick about "not knowing" what he wanted unless he spoke when everyone knew

I, too, want to see Becky embrace Crow Sting

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember in the early to mid 2000s WWE there was a wrestler, tiny guy IIRC, who had like a white trash/hick gimmick. He also had a girlfriend with him. Does anybody remember their names?

It was the girl I really wanted to remember. Dunno why, just watching a random WhatCulture video and for some reason she and then the guy popped into my brain for the first time in years.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember in the early to mid 2000s WWE there was a wrestler, tiny guy IIRC, who had like a white trash/hick gimmick. He also had a girlfriend with him. Does anybody remember their names?

It was the girl I really wanted to remember. Dunno why, just watching a random WhatCulture video and for some reason she and then the guy popped into my brain for the first time in years.

Jamie Noble was the guy, and in his 2001-2004 run he was paired with Nidia. As far as I know he's still employed by WWE in some backstage capacity, and she isn't. She wasn't brought back for any of the Evolution stuff, and she was a tough enough winner(?) so I imagine that means she isn't interested in wrestling anymore.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
jamie noble's finest moment was being murdered by sheamus while some dude in the crowd laughed and yelled KILL 'IM SOME MORE BIG RED. WWE should've hired that guy to be sheamus' manager imo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Noble had some pretty good matches at the tail end of WCW, iirc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seams posted:

jamie noble's finest moment was being murdered by sheamus while some dude in the crowd laughed and yelled KILL 'IM SOME MORE BIG RED. WWE should've hired that guy to be sheamus' manager imo.

Was his ROH title run any good? It's a blank spot for me, I've seen before it and I've seen after it but I don't think I've seen any of James Gibson, ROH World Champion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Was his ROH title run any good? It's a blank spot for me, I've seen before it and I've seen after it but I don't think I've seen any of James Gibson, ROH World Champion.

I think he's most notable as the guy who beat Punk to win the ROH title, and the guy who dropped it to Danielson. A transitional champ, honestly.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Noble had some pretty good matches at the tail end of WCW, iirc.

He was pretty well regarded in ROH. Great match with Danielson for the title but like was mentioned he wasn’t really a viable long term champion but he was fine transitionally

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

dromal phrenia posted:

Jamie Noble was the guy, and in his 2001-2004 run he was paired with Nidia. As far as I know he's still employed by WWE in some backstage capacity, and she isn't. She wasn't brought back for any of the Evolution stuff, and she was a tough enough winner(?) so I imagine that means she isn't interested in wrestling anymore.

Bring back J+J security

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Aesop Poprock posted:

He was pretty well regarded in ROH. Great match with Danielson for the title but like was mentioned he wasn’t really a viable long term champion but he was fine transitionally

Yeah I liked most of his matches as ROH champ, though I haven't watched them in ages. I just googled and found his match where he lost the title to Danielson if anybody is curious to see it. (I don't know this website or if it will give your computer syphilis or whatever though)

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
What's the first match where a light tube was used as a weapon?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Price Check posted:

Alec Guinness vs. David Prowse.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Jabroni-wan Kenobi

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Minidust posted:

Ha, ok figures there's already an article out there talking about exactly this! Good call on Flair.

Wasn't even thinking of Memphis but that makes sense for Lawler. I'm always thinking that the really high title counts are a relatively modern thing but it's been going on for a while I suppose. I just grew up in my turn of the 80s/90s WWF bubble.

Lawler is like a triple-digit champion and you almost have to ask "What is the most ridiculous [anything], also mentioning Memphis is cheating for purposes of this question"

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Bigass Moth posted:

Jabroni-wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Jabroni

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Price Check posted:

In all seriousness, while I don't have a date for it, Tomoaki Honma was the first guy to use them in a match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NuclearPotato posted:

In all seriousness, while I don't have a date for it, Tomoaki Honma was the first guy to use them in a match.

...did he eat one? That would explain the voice.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NuclearPotato posted:

Some guy went back through all the copies of Observer, and the first ever reference to "light tubes" was a 4-way match between Sabu , Cactus Jack, Mr. Hughes and Virgil for NWC in Vegas on 6/24/1995:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mr Hughes is weird enough in that scenario but Virgil is just surreal, and then match being almost 4 stars just makes my head hurt and I need to see this thing

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mr Hughes is weird enough in that scenario but Virgil is just surreal

NWC was the same money mark promotion that got Ultimate Warrior to do an indie run in 1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TSh8suBEE

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That makes sense but it looks like someone pressed randomize on a Fire Pro game and it somehow turned out good apparently

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Is ***3/4 the highest rating Virgil's ever gotten?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Carlioo posted:

Is ***3/4 the highest rating Virgil's ever gotten?

He was also in the 1992 Rumble, which Meltzer rated ***3/4

We must find this match!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There's a lot of NWC on youtube. The Cactus Jack vs Sabu matches were incredible innovative. Note that is an Observer reader's star rating though, the match may have never been released.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

EugeneJ posted:

He was also in the 1992 Rumble, which Meltzer rated ***3/4

This made me curious what his highest rated Rumble match was but instead of asking here I just went and looked it up. Big Dave apparently pretty lukewarm on the Rumble most years because they almost never get more than a 3.5. 2008 was the highest at 4.25. The ones everyone points to as their favorites, 92, 02, and 04 he seemed to think were all fairly middling. Personally I think 08 is one of the most boring outside of the Cena return.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

There's a lot of NWC on youtube. The Cactus Jack vs Sabu matches were incredible innovative. Note that is an Observer reader's star rating though, the match may have never been released.

IIRC there was a light tube spot in the 1996 Boiler Room Brawl between Mankind and Undertaker and that's where most people saw them used for the first time

Big Japan had their first light tube match in early 1997

So credit Sabu for the first spot and then credit Foley for bringing it to a worldwide audience

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Huh, guess I just took the hearsay about Honea being an early innovator in the use of light tubes at face value; that’s some legit interesting stuff there.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks everyone! The Honma/Yamakawa stuff was the first instance that I could recall but it's amazing to hear that VIRGIL of all people was in on the ground floor.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

dromal phrenia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRHMZNaKTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELGvWtNM2JA

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Were the Steiner Bros always assholes? Naturally Scott is infamous now but I know a guy who once told me he had a lot of respect for... I forget, it was either Asya or Madusa who took a powerslam or something from Rick. He said Rick was one of the most stiff guys around and not in any sort of endearing way like Vader, he was just a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Were the Steiner Bros always assholes? Naturally Scott is infamous now but I know a guy who once told me he had a lot of respect for... I forget, it was either Asya or Madusa who took a powerslam or something from Rick. He said Rick was one of the most stiff guys around and not in any sort of endearing way like Vader, he was just a dickhead.

They beat the absolute poo poo out of a young Iizuka at Wrestlewar 92, so yeah.