Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There are 4 dead guys in the 1997 Royal Rumble alone. Mil has it locked down for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

https://youtu.be/2lAAq9c8Mf0

A long time ago, I had talked about wanting to find the episode where Dino Bravo did an airplane spin that was featured in the movie Encino Man. And well. There it is, in all its VHS-style degraded quality.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Drew McIntyre posted:

what living wrestler has had the most opponents who are now dead? it's probably some old luchador if i had to guess.

terry funk

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

How is he still alive?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

How is he still alive?

His horse was sick.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Does anyone have that image of Tanahashi which showed his living room? He had a wall with a bunch of albums arranged on it. I think he posted it to social media but i haven't been able to find it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

https://youtu.be/2lAAq9c8Mf0

A long time ago, I had talked about wanting to find the episode where Dino Bravo did an airplane spin that was featured in the movie Encino Man. And well. There it is, in all its VHS-style degraded quality.

This is the kind of obsessive wrestling rabbit hole poo poo I love.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
FWIW my first wrestling show was WWA in 2001.

1 Juventud Guerrera (C) Def. Psicosis WWA International Cruiserweight Title
2 Vampire Warrior Def. Luna Vachon "Black Wedding"
3 Devon Storm Def. Norman Smiley Tables
5 Brian Christopher Def. Disqo
5 Konnan & Nathan Jones Def. Lenny Lane & Lodi
6 Buff Bagwell Def. Stevie Ray
7 Jeff Jarrett (C) Def. Road Dogg

It had Mike tenay and some other lad doing commentary over the PA as the matches were going on.

I got to shake Bret Harts hand by elbowing some children and my friend who idolised Bret out of the way. I always preferred Shawn but what are you going to do.

The best matches I saw:

British Strong Style vs. Tyler Bate/Angel Cruz/B. Cool
Matt Riddle vs. Speedball Mike Bailey
War Machine vs. Kings of the North
Devlin vs. Walter
Ospreay vs. Walter
Riddle vs. Ospreay

I've actually seen so many amazing ones I forget.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Actually going back to best matches tue v mustache mountain at the albert hall nxt shows last year was a real banger to watch live.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Drew McIntyre posted:

what living wrestler has had the most opponents who are now dead? it's probably some old luchador if i had to guess.

Taker's gotta be up there. I mean, The Streak alone has more than its fair share.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bad Wolf posted:

Taker's gotta be up there. I mean, The Streak alone has more than its fair share.

Snuka, Gonzalez, Bundy, and Bossman going by Streak and post-Streak.

EDIT: WrestleMania matches only, that is.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 18, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bad Wolf posted:

Not to mention his debut match was against a team of four guys where only two are still alive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
With regard to living wrestlers with the most dead opponents, the guys that immediately come to mind are Mil, Flair, Race, and Liger for wrestling so many people in so many places.

iamsosmrt posted:

How is Terry Funk still alive?
Stores nutrients in his satchel rear end.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Johnny Saint isn’t officially retired, he’s gotta be up there

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Johnny Saint isn’t officially retired, he’s gotta be up there

I'd imagine the UK wrestling scene isn't quite the graveyard that it is in the states though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd imagine the UK wrestling scene isn't quite the graveyard that it is in the states though.

Yeah but I mean he debuted in 1958

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
the best description i ever read of johnny saint's fighting style stated he started doing a load of "stuff" to his opponent

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
For guys who are regularly active I'd bet Chris Jericho is a sleeper on this one.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Honestly the answer is probably the same as "whichever living wrestler had the most opponents, period"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Guys, can you do me a massive favour?

Did any matches on Raw or Smackdown go two segments this week?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
yes

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Which one Bryan/Rollins?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

When did the Japanese Wresting Promotions start sending their talent on excursions to Mexico? I found a book that vaguely references Luchadores working in Japan and Japanese wrestlers coming for tours in Mexico around the 50s, but nothing about having long term learning excursions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jenkem Delivery posted:

When did the Japanese Wresting Promotions start sending their talent on excursions to Mexico? I found a book that vaguely references Luchadores working in Japan and Japanese wrestlers coming for tours in Mexico around the 50s, but nothing about having long term learning excursions.

I’d have to do more reading/research but excursions have been around a while, more so to the US during the territory era or the UK in the 70s/80s though. I’m sure WWF swallowing the territories forced their hand in that regard.

Also my first live show was the Wrestling Dontaku where Bullet Club formed and the main event was Okada-Suzuki, brilliant.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Misawa's and Sayama both did Mexico for a bit, not sure if someone did one earlier though

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Misawa's and Sayama both did Mexico for a bit, not sure if someone did one earlier though
I think Fujinami did one, too. When exactly they started doing *regular* excursions to Mexico is a different question, though.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm curious about the prevalence of Mexican influence in Japanese wrestling. Ultimo Dragon's Toryumon system is famous, but I've noticed that there are a lot of indie wrestlers in Japan that got trained in Mexico (outside of the Dragon system), so I would be interested to know how all of these guys got the idea to go to Mexico.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I remember the reason Ultimo Dragon was sent to Mexico was simply cause there were no spots left for jr heavyweights in Japan.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Liger had massive success after training in Mexico so I'm sure that influenced some of the smaller guys too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Adaptabullshit posted:

I'm curious about the prevalence of Mexican influence in Japanese wrestling. Ultimo Dragon's Toryumon system is famous, but I've noticed that there are a lot of indie wrestlers in Japan that got trained in Mexico (outside of the Dragon system), so I would be interested to know how all of these guys got the idea to go to Mexico.

Part of it is the influence of Mil Mascaras. Mascaras was a huge star in the late 60s and early 70s and influenced not just a generation of wrestlers but also some of the writers like Wally Yamaguchi. He and Gran Hamada (who had gone to Mexico on excursion and wrestled a very lucha based style) formed UPW in the early 90s which was a lucha based promotion in Japan that used luchadors as well as Asai and the future M-Pro founders. So you have Asai who owes his stardom to Mexico and Wally who was a huge proponent of the style going on to form two of the most influential groups of the next ten years.

The line basically goes Mil coming to Japan to Hamada going to Mexico, to Asai going, UPW kind of bringing it all together and then Toryumon and M-Pro forming after that. (Although Ultimo was in WAR first.)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

why has everyone forgotten about super delphin :(

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

why has everyone forgotten about Gran Naniwa :( :zoid:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

why is his wikipedia page so small thats such an injustice

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Pro wrestling on Wikipedia is dire.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

Pro wrestling on Wikipedia is dire.

Counterpoint

https://twitter.com/AHROOMEE/status/1128544375644942339?s=19

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
How was Velveteen Dream/Orange Cassidy?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can somebody explain the Young Lion system in detail? Like where do they begin, what training do they do, is the excursion mandatory, etc.

I've been thinking about guys like gaijins like Juice Robinson, Jay White and David Finlay, did they all have to go through it the same as the Japanese guys? How would Juice's previous experience in WWE have played into it, if at all?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somebody better versed will go into the other details, but for Juice at least they offered him the chance to go straight into their main roster but he said he was happy to be a Young Boy and learn the ropes along with everybody else. You can see it paid dividends, he looked like a team player, got to know the system in a strange country, and people immediately took to him for being humble on top of what appears to be his already very approachable and likeable personality. He also got a recommendation from Matt Bloom too which probably helped a huge amount.

From memory, Jay White grew up not realizing there was any wrestling other than WWE until he went to England and found out they had wrestling there, and then got offered the chance to go to Japan where he discovered holy gently caress these guys are REALLY into wrestling.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

From my understanding Juice got a bit of a fast track through being a Young Lion but White and Finlay got the full experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Finlay didn’t get an excursion