Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Dacap posted:

Another interesting question is to look at the other side, kids who eclipsed their parents careers.

Bray Wyatt has had a more important career than IRS for example. Randy Orton as well.

The Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Carmella

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Edit: Charlotte Flair might count, I suppose, since she leans into “WOOOO”ing and such.

Thing is, she always looks goofy when she's trying to do Ric's mannerisms. It's like watching a calf try to dance.

Lid posted:

Carmella

I didn't know she was second-generation.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
If we're judging it based on the gap/difference between their own and their parents talent, then Brian Christopher has to be a leading candidate.

What was Cody Hall like? I understand the guy is a complete jerk but is he any good in the ring?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dacap posted:

Another interesting question is to look at the other side, kids who eclipsed their parents careers.

Bray Wyatt has had a more important career than IRS for example. Randy Orton as well.

Katsuyori Shibata, Macho Man, Jake Roberts probably

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

If we're judging it based on the gap/difference between their own and their parents talent, then Brian Christopher has to be a leading candidate.

What was Cody Hall like? I understand the guy is a complete jerk but is he any good in the ring?

Nope, not really.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jerusalem posted:

I believe he agreed to the clean loss on the expectation he would get to have his win back later.

It was basically the flip side of that Hogan/HBK thing where it was supposed to be two matches with a win for each of them, which (from memory) became Hogan wanting a clean win in both, which then turned into a single match where HBK threw one of his old style tantrums and just turned the thing into a complete comedy match. Only in this case, they let Hogan think he'd be getting his win back but then just abandoned the feud once they'd gotten what they wanted from him.
I've always wondered what might have happened if things aligned differently and there was actually a reasonable time for Hogan to demand his win back. Some of it just seemed like fortunate timing to avoid ever having Hogan push for getting that win back.

Hogan got wrecked by Lesnar in August 2002 and Hogan took off the rest of the year, I don't really know for what. He came back in the run-up to Wrestlemania 19, where Lesnar had turned face and was feuding with Kurt Angle for the title. Hogan got slotted into a feud with Vince McMahon which led to the Mr. America gimmick and then led to Hogan quitting a couple of months later in the summer of 2003. Hogan's last match was in a random six man tag match on Smackdown where he teamed with Brock Lesnar.

Lesnar turned heel again in the fall of 2003, but was out of the company at Wrestlemania XX and didn't come back until 2012. Hogan popped back in for spots in 2005-2006 but he was with TNA and effectively retired by the time Lesnar came back.

Maybe there's something I don't know, but it feels more like the luck of circumstance that the whole Hogan Wanting His Win Back, Brother thing never really came to a head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I often wonder what it must have been like for Brian Christopher to realize the he was always the least important part of Too Cool when he came back to absolute silence during the Lawler/Cole feud.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bret and Owen Hart. Stu's a legend....in Western Canada. Outside of Canada he's just known as an old prick who takes delight in stretching people and making them scream. Bret was a megastar, and Owen did pretty drat well for himself in WWE and NJPW.

Terry and Dory Funk Jr, too. Dory Sr. was a territorial star, no question. But both Terry and Dory Jr. were NWA champion when that mattered, and Terry has been a star pretty much everywhere he went. And was the first babyface gaijin.

Rey Misterio Jr definitely eclipsed Rey Sr.. I know Sr isn't his father, but Rey took on the gimmick and did so much more than Rey Sr. did. Hell, Rey Horus, his actual son, could very well do the same.

Ted DiBiase. Iron Mike DiBiase was a star in the Amarillo and Portland territories, but Ted absolutely could have been WWE champion (and maybe should have been), and was a massive star during a boom period.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ted absolutely could have been WWE champion (and maybe should have been)

I think he was for about 4 days on the house show circuit before they stripped him of the belt and retroactively struck his reign from the record on the next TV taping.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Has any wrestler’s kid EVER succeeded while just rehashing their parent’s gimmick/mannerisms?

Edit: Charlotte Flair might count, I suppose, since she leans into “WOOOO”ing and such.

charlotte uses her dad's robe, remix of her dad's theme, variation on her dad's finisher, a whole mess of her dad's spots and mannerisms, she absolutely counts.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They need to keep Ric far away from the women's division. His sexually assaulting Becky Lynch live during a PPV was loving disgusting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dacap posted:

Eh, not so sure about Bray. Mike Rotundo held titles wherever he went, and was a solid worker who could be relied upon to make anyone look good. Bray struggles to stay relevant.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Eh, not so sure about Bray. Mike Rotundo held titles wherever he went, and was a solid worker who could be relied upon to make anyone look good. Bray struggles to stay relevant.

bray was wwe champion and has had more marquee wrestlemania matches.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Harry Smith hasn't seemed to do much. Chris Benoit's son also but that's a big can of worms that makes him entirely a victim of circumstance.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Harry Smith hasn't seemed to do much. Chris Benoit's son also but that's a big can of worms that makes him entirely a victim of circumstance.

he was a big player in njpw's (admittedly weak) tag division for years and i'll say one thing about dbs jr, he's a way loving better wrestler than his dad.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

shiksa posted:

he was a big player in njpw's (admittedly weak) tag division for years and i'll say one thing about dbs jr, he's a way loving better wrestler than his dad.

Did he ever get a toyal shah?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thing is, she always looks goofy when she's trying to do Ric's mannerisms. It's like watching a calf try to dance.

I didn't know she was second-generation.

Carmella's dad was a jobber. Here he is in Razor Ramon's debut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK8MgpuyXkw

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is Benoits son the one who looks exactly like him? Poor bastard never stood a chance.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Is Benoits son the one who looks exactly like him? Poor bastard never stood a chance.

Is that why he killed him?

EDIT: I completely misunderstood that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I feel like Carmella falls into the category of like a John Cena or Jake Roberts where their dads were involved with wrestling but it's not like being a Legacy plays into their character or history in any significant way.

Angelo Poffo was obviously a big name, and he played a role in Randy Savage's early career in Memphis, but it's not like his WWF/WCW/Slim Jim runs really had anything to do with him being Poffo's kid.

Eddie Guerrero definitely had a bigger career outside of Mexico than his dad did, but I have very little knowledge of old Mexican wrestling and Gory Guerrero comes up more in talk than Grizzly Smith or Angelo Poffo generally, so I may well be wrong about Gory vs. Eddie.

I do think there's a big difference between someone from a family like the Harts or Guerreros or Funks or Rhodes or someone deliberately positioned as "Son/Daughter of _________" versus Savage or Roberts or even something like Bray Wyatt or The Usos where they're obviously the sons of a famous wrestler but it is (with a few Uso-exceptions) not how they're marketed or packaged. While Bray Wyatt may not be a great example of it, I think it's easier to get over when you're clearly your own person and not Ted Dibiase Jr. or Rocky Maivia or Garrett Bischoff or whatever.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 16, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

STONE COLD 64 posted:

bray was wwe champion and has had more marquee wrestlemania matches.

Rotunda's first NWA World TV title reign was more successful than Bray's WWE Championship reign.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

shiksa posted:

ted dibiase jr. was far and away the least successful of wwe's "kids of guys you know" stable in the mid-00s.
And he was the most successful of Millionaire Ted's kids.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I really hope this kid is getting lots of therapy.

gently caress I can't imagine what he's going through

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I really hope this kid is getting lots of therapy.

gently caress I can't imagine what he's going through

hey man nattie isn't that bad

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I feel like Carmella falls into the category of like a John Cena or Jake Roberts where their dads were involved with wrestling but it's not like being a Legacy plays into their character or history in any significant way.

Angelo Poffo was obviously a big name, and he played a role in Randy Savage's early career in Memphis, but it's not like his WWF/WCW/Slim Jim runs really had anything to do with him being Poffo's kid.

Eddie Guerrero definitely had a bigger career outside of Mexico than his dad did, but I have very little knowledge of old Mexican wrestling and Gory Guerrero comes up more in talk than Grizzly Smith or Angelo Poffo generally, so I may well be wrong about Gory vs. Eddie.

I do think there's a big difference between someone from a family like the Harts or Guerreros or Funks or Rhodes or someone deliberately positioned as "Son/Daughter of _________" versus Savage or Roberts or even something like Bray Wyatt or The Usos where they're obviously the sons of a famous wrestler but it is (with a few Uso-exceptions) not how they're marketed or packaged. While Bray Wyatt may not be a great example of it, I think it's easier to get over when you're clearly your own person and not Ted Dibiase Jr. or Rocky Maivia or Garrett Bischoff or whatever.

Gory was El Santo's tag team partner. He was a Big Deal.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Are they still pretending that Nattie is Bret Hart's daughter or did that finally get dropped when Anvil died

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Benne posted:

Are they still pretending that Nattie is Bret Hart's daughter or did that finally get dropped when Anvil died

they've never pretended that?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Manu is Afa’s kid and he never did much.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Benne posted:

i think the joke that you’re thinking of was Tyson Kidd talking about his uncle Bret Hart (Bret Being Nattie’s uncle, and Kidd being married to Nattie)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lazy edit I miss Tyson Kidd, he was awesome in the ring and he was actually starting to get some decent character work put together right when he broke his neck

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

samoa joe purposefully ended tyson kidd's career and that's why he is forced to have that haircut and always lose big matches

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Cesaro/Kidd team was too beautiful for this world :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Benne posted:

The Cesaro/Kidd team was too beautiful for this world :(

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The Kings of Wrestling but with Cats and shouting Fact was such an entertaining combination of talents.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Sometimes taking two random lower/midcard singles guys not doing anything and sticking them in an odd couple tag team for no reason creates a beautiful chemistry like Tyson and Cesaro. They were great together.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TriffTshngo posted:

Sometimes taking two random lower/midcard singles guys not doing anything and sticking them in an odd couple tag team for no reason creates a beautiful chemistry like Tyson and Cesaro. They were great together.

Bookdust :allears:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Cesaro has saved the careers of Tyson Kidd, Jack Swagger and Sheamus by teaming with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

negro casas might be the biggest example of a son more sucessful than his father. pepe casas falls in the same category as katsuhisa shibata in that he had a longer career as a referee but he was definitely an active wrestler as well. bodes well for shota umino...

edit: this is a bit odd as all four of them are active pushed wrestlers in the same company but rush and dragon lee at the very least out of the muñozes. prob mistico ii as well but i'm not that familar with papa muñoz's earlier career

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 17, 2019