Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i like going to wrestling by myself just fine but i definitely feel more awkward about cheering and making noise if im not with other people i know. but i still have a ton of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

i like going to wrestling by myself just fine but i definitely feel more awkward about cheering and making noise if im not with other people i know. but i still have a ton of fun

Oh yeah, this for sure. I'm way more likely to quietly enjoy things and just go "OHHHHHH!" at stuff rather than chant and holler if I'm alone.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Just go and have fun no one cares if you're there alone :)

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Explosions posted:

OK, so I don't go to wrestling shows because I don't have any friends who like wrestling, and also I'd rather chop both of my hands off than interact with a stranger. But next month I'm moving to a town with a really good local. Is it possible to go to wrestling shows on your own without feeling like the saddest creepo? How uncommon is it?

Same, you'll be fine! Even my local D- tier indie is a blast with a few cans of pabst. I've been to maybe five or so wrestling shows alone, and never did I feel out of place. Plus you're guaranteed to have SOMETHING in common to make small talk with, if someone approaches you. Snapchat some dope spots to annoy your non-wrestling friends and have a good time, man, you're not a creepo for seeking out things you enjoy.

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 18, 2019

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Going to All Out by myself and it's going to be loving killer. Cause I can get wrecked on edibles and watch awesome wrestling without worrying about anyone else.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Are you gonna have any family with kids close by? I used to take my brother's kids to wrestling shows before they became surly teenagers and it was a million times more fun with them than going solo. Solo is still fun for what it is, but with kids you can really throw yourself into the silliness of the whole thing, and you avoid the temptation to just get super loaded.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Tokelau All Star posted:

Are you gonna have any family with kids close by? I used to take my brother's kids to wrestling shows before they became surly teenagers and it was a million times more fun with them than going solo. Solo is still fun for what it is, but with kids you can really throw yourself into the silliness of the whole thing, and you avoid the temptation to just get super loaded.

Hmm, so some positives, but also some negatives

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Explosions posted:

OK, so I don't go to wrestling shows because I don't have any friends who like wrestling, and also I'd rather chop both of my hands off than interact with a stranger. But next month I'm moving to a town with a really good local. Is it possible to go to wrestling shows on your own without feeling like the saddest creepo? How uncommon is it?

You'll be fine. I went to Biff Busick's last Beyond show by myself and it was a blast.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can somebody recommend me Hollywood Hogan best matches between 96-98? I'm watching Hogan / Nash v Piper / Giant and it's a simple tag match with a volcanic crowd. Did heel Hogan always command this respect??

bartok
May 10, 2006

There's something fun about taking someone who doesn't watch wrestling to an indie show.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody recommend me Hollywood Hogan best matches between 96-98? I'm watching Hogan / Nash v Piper / Giant and it's a simple tag match with a volcanic crowd. Did heel Hogan always command this respect??

Luger vs Hogan from the 100th Monday Nitro special. The crowd goes absolutely ape poo poo for Lex Luger fighting off the NWO and beating Hogan. Shame that Hogan immediately wins the belt back at Hog Wild the weekend before the next Nitro.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hogan was incredibly over as a heel, especially in the south, where they never really bought into him to begin with.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A big part of Hollywood Hogan being over was "You have our permission to boo this man" after two years of trying to do Hulkamania in WCW.

Also that Bash at the Beach promo was incredible. Easily his best work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

You are better off watching his promos from mid 97-fall 98 as the matches are rarely good but the character work is incredible. Flair/Hogan from Uncensored 99 is incredibly stupid but kind of goodish. Hogan/Macho Man from Havoc 96 is worth seeing too.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like Hollywood Hogan was Hogan at his worst in the ring, He had the same bad offense he always did, but he got to take the offense for longer because he was heel and had to control the match and the other guy had to sell. This just resulted in cowardly heel Hogan looking stronger in the ring than he ever did as a face to the detriment of everyone he worked with who had to sell for his backrakes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

You are better off watching his promos from mid 97-fall 98 as the matches are rarely good but the character work is incredible. Flair/Hogan from Uncensored 99 is incredibly stupid but kind of goodish. Hogan/Macho Man from Havoc 96 is worth seeing too.

When's the weird promo where he references Waco?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When's the weird promo where he references Waco?

August 96 hyping up Clash.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hogan/Luger at the 100th Nitro is proof that the most important part of a match is the ending.

It's mostly a bad plodding match, but that ending sequence alone makes it one of my favorite matches ever.

bartok
May 10, 2006

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Hogan/Luger at the 100th Nitro is proof that the most important part of a match is the ending.

It's mostly a bad plodding match, but that ending sequence alone makes it one of my favorite matches ever.

That reminds me that I remember really enjoying the War Games match from Fall Brawl 96. Can't tell you if the actual match is good because I haven't seen it in over a decade, but the real Sting coming out and cleaning house only to immediately walk out was a great moment. I also remember the post match beatdown of Randy Savage dragging on for what felt like an eternity.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Is there a watch thread for this AAA twitch stream?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

remusclaw posted:

I feel like Hollywood Hogan was Hogan at his worst in the ring, He had the same bad offense he always did, but he got to take the offense for longer because he was heel and had to control the match and the other guy had to sell. This just resulted in cowardly heel Hogan looking stronger in the ring than he ever did as a face to the detriment of everyone he worked with who had to sell for his backrakes.

Hogan had the rare decent match during his mega-heel run, somehow. He entertained me way more as a heel than he ever did during his big run in the 80s.

Of course, I was a southerner who watched NWA/WCW during his big run in WWF, so I might be biased.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Anyone ever heard of a guy named Alex Nabiev? He ended up in my orbit through Facebook because I'm not going to not add a terrifying Slavic man whose profile picture is him covered in blood making out with some random girl, and apparently he's some batshit insane Russian deathmatch guy.

Needless to say, I'm intrigued as hell by this apparent product of Rusev and Nick Gage doing the Fusion Dance, so I'm pretty curious if he's actually good (or even on anyone's radar).

(fair warning, probably don't look this guy up if your gore tolerance isn't high, his facebook gets a little :nms:)

e: unrelatedly, the same general social circle introduced me to a Macho Man impersonator who miiiiiiight be officiating my wedding

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 19, 2019

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Can someone explain the no compete clause in WWE contracts work in 2019 to me?

Is it once we release you, we’ll pay you the downside agreement for 90 days in exchange for you not working for someone else?

Or is it even if we’re not paying you, you’re not allowed to work for our “competition” for 90 days?

Basically how strictly does the WWE enforce it and are there any high profile challenges to it this decade?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nystral posted:

Is it once we release you, we’ll pay you the downside agreement for 90 days in exchange for you not working for someone else?

Or is it even if we’re not paying you, you’re not allowed to work for our “competition” for 90 days?

Basically how strictly does the WWE enforce it and are there any high profile challenges to it this decade?

As far as I know, you can forfeit the pay and work immediately but the only person to ever do that has been Colt Cabana because striking while the iron is hot mattered more in the long run than 90 days of pay.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Nystral posted:

I believe it's the latter. They also have the wonderful "freeze" option, which they used against Neville and apparently have been using on Sasha since WrestleMania. Basically, say your contract is up in August 2019, but you were injured for six months back in 2017. You say "Okay, I'm not going to re-sign" so they say "Okay, but you were unavailable to fulfill your obligations for six months, so we're adding that half a year onto your contract, which means you can leave in February 2020. You can sit at home if you'd like" Which is exactly what Neville chose to do.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

because non competes are about protecting the company, wrestling NCCs are extremely flimsy and would blow away with the wind if they didn't pay the person to do nothing instead of signing elsewhere

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nystral posted:

It means that if you have a lot of money, labor law works the way you say it does.

remusclaw posted:

On the other hand, watching someone sell a back rake like somebody opened the window on Dracula is fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

because non competes are about protecting the company, wrestling NCCs are extremely flimsy and would blow away with the wind if they didn't pay the person to do nothing instead of signing elsewhere

This is also completely true. Especially since they tried to enforce it on Brock and underestimated how stubborn Brock would be about fighting it and WWE settled before the judge could make a summary ruling because they had literally nothing to stand on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

On the other hand, watching someone sell a back rake like somebody opened the window on Dracula is fun.

This is the most perfect description I have ever read of selling a back rake and I want to frame it and hang it in a museum.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It’s really good

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It was in response to my negativity on Hogan and I do just want to chime in to agree, it is a great way to put that. Heel Hogan is still the worst though. He made almost everybody look bad in the ring with him.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

It means that if you have a lot of money, labor law works the way you say it does.

I lol'ed. To the point of tears. At 4am. On the toilet.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

POTYC: Halloween Jack “like somebody opened the window on Dracula”, Wrestling Questions thread, 7/19

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
for the person that was thinking of going to shows alone, if you can get somewhat drunk or high to take the edge off any anxiety and still feel and actually be safe, and not be too obnoxious to others, it could help you deal with the weirdness.
Caveat, only use this strategy if you'll be able to stop drinking/whatever at a point where you can be functional and safe

also I have definitely seen people that were at the show by themselves at every wrestling show, concert, etc I have ever been to

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Halloween Jack posted:

I've thought about this post at least 12 times today and it makes me laugh every single loving time.

Goddamn.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jesus WEP posted:

POTYC: Halloween Jack “like somebody opened the window on Dracula”, Wrestling Questions thread, 7/19
Pffft. Who'd I ever beat?!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

According to your simile, Dracula

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Nobody, windows are transparent unless otherwise described. Now opening the curtains, or maybe a coffin lid in broad daylight; that's a workrate joke.

Minus five stars.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://twitter.com/mrlariato/status/948901472594550784

what would you call this move? person in the comments says tornado piledriver which like, i guess

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It requires you to know Okada and Naito. Naito's going for his Combinacion Cabron spot (dropkick in the corner followed by trip and then swinging dropkick to the face), Okada's catching him in the Alabama slam position, is going to swing the head in so he can do the schwein-esque neckbreaker he does, and Naito's countering THAT into an inverted rana/piledriver-y thing, hence why he's the one going for a pin in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, that just looks like a slam countered by a poison rana to me.