Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

This reminds me of one of my favorite promo screw-ups. Terry Funk yelling, "Foley, I KNOW WHY you turned on Tommy Dreamer! What I want to know is WHY you turned on Tommy Dreamer!"

I'm partial to " That's why I kicked your leg out of your leg! " and " The hower power".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

the hard times promo makes almost no sense when you write it out but dusty had conviction enough to sell it

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

also that terrible promo taker cut about taking big show out into the desert was good, actually

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In kayfabe WWE doesn't stand for anything.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

lost my old email posted:

also that terrible promo taker cut about taking big show out into the desert was good, actually

The Undertaker is bad at everything except for looking like The Undertaker.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a guy pushed as heavily as he has been for thirty years, 'Taker has been really bad at most things.

1) Promos are bad.

2) His matches only got consistently good when he worked once or twice a year

3) He hasn't made any new stars like ever, and there's been people that probably should have went over on him yet hardly anybody does, and with the exception of Reigns, it was pretty much somebody who was already a top star.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
In Republican Stamford, you stand for WWE.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

'Taker helped make Mankind a pretty big deal right out of the gate

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are we forgetting about our fellow Going, KANE????

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Taker also had a fantastic match with Jeff Hardy that made the latter big. But honestly, its a fluke, Taker has made maybe 2 people in a career and mostly been involved in poo poo stories. His character is cool and he has great presence, and occasionally he can pull out a great match when someone else who is great is in there with him.

Kane is maybe number 3. And look at Kane, he's Taker in miniature. He somehow has worse stories, and nobody ever comes out of a Kane feud looking good.

Despite this, there were times where I was the biggest Taker fan.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

In the long run the streak was more profitable. But without the benefit of hindsight, Taker going over Kane in their first (and second!) match was just terrible. That character was the ultimate monster and they permanently chumpatized him with that loss.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

In the long run the streak was more profitable. But without the benefit of hindsight, Taker going over Kane in their first (and second!) match was just terrible. That character was the ultimate monster and they permanently chumpatized him with that loss.

i think i recently heard that kane wasn't meant to be a permanent character and only stuck around because ppl thought he looked so cool (he did) so that might be related.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Alaois posted:

this is like the loving thing where people say Kentucky Fried Chicken officially changed its name to just the acronym KFC because they weren't legally allowed to call what they sell chicken

WWF was originally trademarked by World Wildlife Fund ...which the WWE didn't know until they got sued/cease and desisted for it, which lead to the name change.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TV Zombie posted:

WWF was originally trademarked by World Wildlife Fund ...which the WWE didn't know until they got sued/cease and desisted for it, which lead to the name change.

before they asked you to stand for wwe, wwe first asked their fans to "get the f out". i was offended, my elderly mother was offended, and we certainly did not stand for wwe

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
i stood up for wwe, and then turned off the tv and went to my personal computer to sign up for new japan world

(this is a joke because those events happened 3+ years apart, it did not take me 3 years to walk from my television to my computer, sorry for misleading you everyone)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Undertaker also did good work in making The Great Khali, it was just a real poor investment.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Taker jobbed totally clean to Vladimir Koslov. As I recall, he caught Taker coming off of Old School, powerslammed him and pinned him right in the middle

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Koslov and Khali losses were pretty clean, the vast majority of these weren't. It's also kind of a heady mix of "Undertaker put them over well after they were made", "Undertaker 'put them over' while making them look like chumps", and "Undertaker put them over and then WWE decided to stop pushing them". And some that were pretty much fine.

People Undertaker Got Pinned/Submitted/Lost a Gimmick Match To In a Singles Match By Year
1991 - Hulk Hogan, Tito Santana (aired only in Spain)
1994 - Yokozuna
1995 - Mabel
1996 - Goldust, Mankind
1997 - Vader, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels
1998 - Shawn Michaels, Kane, Steve Austin
1999 - Steve Austin, Triple H
2000 - Kurt Angle, Rikishi
2001 - Booker T, Rob Van Dam
2002 - Maven, The Rock, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Matt Hardy, Brock Lesnar
2003 - John Cena, Brock Lesnar
2004 - JBL
2005 - Randy Orton
2006 - Kurt Angle, Great Khali, Mister Kennedy
2007 - Edge, Batista
2008 - Edge, Big Show, Jeff Hardy
2009 - Vladimir Kozlov, Big Show, CM Punk
2010 - Chris Jericho, Kane
2014 - Brock Lesnar
2017 - Roman Reigns

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

The crazy thing now is that the panda WWF is way more evil and has way more blood money than the WWE.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What? How?

Also, can anyone answer how Cristley got a show on TV? He doesn't seem to do anything.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

What? How?

Also, can anyone answer how Cristley got a show on TV? He doesn't seem to do anything.

he's rich and this is america, if you want a reality show and you have enough money i assume you just call someone up.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

What? How?

Check this out. WWE has done a lot of awful poo poo but "literally murdering kids" is not on the list afaik

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
What did people think about Vladmir Kozlov? It sounds like he was on an undefeated streak during that Taker match but I don't think I've ever actually seen people talking about him online (Or I've just assumed he was some 80's wrestler if I ever saw his name, I suppose). Why/How was his push derailed? What happened after that match? It looks like he teamed with Santino?? Sounds like a dire fate for someone they seemed to be high on. Was he just not good?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

His first appearance was endearing because he was this goofy Russian dude they interviewed in the crowd (as a wrestler) who declared,"I LOVE DOUBLE DOUBLE E!" but when they got around to introducing him as a regular member of the roster he was a very serious character with a good look who didn't really have the skills or experience to go with it. After awhile hanging roughly around the mid-card they decided to team him up with Santino as a comedy character which worked better in concept than execution. I literally do not remember when or why he left which probably says a lot about his run in WWE, really.

He seemed to be a nice guy that everybody liked who had a good look and a fair amount of potential but never really fully realized it. How much of that was WWE's fault and how much was him just not quite having it I couldn't say, but I have relatively fond memories of him as a low-card/mid-card guy who at least had enough of a character to stand out from the generic looking dudes around him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fauxhawk Express posted:

'Taker helped make Mankind a pretty big deal right out of the gate

Mankind felt like a huge deal when he first hit the scene. Seeing someone terrorize the Undertaker like that was amazing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone besides Mankind had a different entrance and ending song?

Everything was great about the character but that was a really nice extra touch. As a huge musical storytelling fan, I greatly appreciate it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TV Zombie posted:

Vince totally knew, and had made a deal not to use the WWF initials overseas because of it, but since Vince thinks contracts only applies when he wants them to, he ignored it and (rightfully) got spanked in court.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Randaconda posted:

Vince totally knew, and had made a deal not to use the WWF initials overseas because of it, but since Vince thinks contracts only applies when he wants them to, he ignored it and (rightfully) got spanked in court.
I remember watching episodes of Smackdown on Finnish TV in late 2001 and wondering why the Finnish subtitles were suddenly saying WWFE instead of WWF like they did for the first couple of months. I eventually figured it was probably for panda-related legal reasons, but at first it was really annoying to see WWFE in the subtitles when they were clearly saying WWF on the actual show. After a while they just started using "World Wrestling Federation" in the subtitles, which I found a lot less distracting.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What's your unpopularly held wrestling opinion?

The Rocks music has always sucked.

Even the intro...

.. ESPECIALLY the intro.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gangrel was actually a pretty good wrestler with neat moves

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Judging by ratings not moving, nobody much cared about CM Punk during the summer of Punk or his endless title run.

Edit: Same with Bryan Danielson during his mega push

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Draxion posted:

Check this out. WWE has done a lot of awful poo poo but "literally murdering kids" is not on the list afaik

Yeah, funding extermination squads is hard to top.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not that impressive to make your wrestling look good by actually hurting people. Misawa maybe could've landed on his head less often.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Gangrel was actually a pretty good wrestler with neat moves

He moved really well, he was like a chubby heavyweight Lucha dude

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Even the intro...

.. ESPECIALLY the intro.

Finn Balor/Prince Devitt is just ok and always has been

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Aesop Poprock posted:

He moved really well, he was like a chubby heavyweight Lucha dude

what i liked about gangrel is that he had his own way of doing everything. like his elbowdrop was his own weird way of doing an elbow drop. booker T was the same way

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Even the intro...

.. ESPECIALLY the intro.

It was good when it started with just "Do you smell what The Rock is cooking?" It got worse when they changed it to "If ya smellllll..."

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Even the intro...

.. ESPECIALLY the intro.

this may not be unpopular, but the G1 winner having to defend a briefcase leading up to the Dome is dumb as gently caress. cheapens the entire tourney.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_jVOgPQm7g

This is the best Rock theme by far, only Hollywood Rock comes close to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fauxhawk Express posted:

this may not be unpopular, but the G1 winner having to defend a briefcase leading up to the Dome is dumb as gently caress. cheapens the entire tourney.

Disagree. It just formalises what should happen anyway (the winner shouldn't be dropping singles matches or why is he challenging the champ and not the guy who beat him?) and lets you showcase the winner by having high profile matches with them.

In fact, WWE NOT having the Rumble winner (or the MITB winner) do the same lately arguably hurts those concepts because it lets Vince beat those people like a drum because 'well, they won the Rumble/ladder match, so they're over'.