Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What's your unpopularly held wrestling opinion?

The Rocks music has always sucked.

Even the intro...

.. ESPECIALLY the intro.

I dunno. Nothing leaps out. I'd go with "Attitude Era was actually mostly bad" but I don't think that's very controversial nowadays.

ECW on the WWE Network is unwatchable and I'd rather watch degraded 5th generation VHS rips with original music and promos because they were such a large part of the presentation of the promotion. But even that doesn't seem particularly unpopular an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

I like every individual member of the Elite to varying degrees but I think as a group they're loving insufferable, and it's mostly due to the Young Bucks. There's just something about the way their personalities combine with the other 4 that makes me like the Elite far, far less than I would individually or even just minus the Bucks. I was initially a little disappointed when they all left New Japan because Cody's last few months were a terribly uninspired feud with Juice and it meant Hangman wouldn't be in the G1 again despite being one of the few highlights of the A block last year. However now that they've been gone for a good 8 months I can say that apart from really liking all of Kenny's matches with the New Japan main eventers I genuinely don't miss them. I hope AEW does well and makes Vince even more shook than it already has, because their success can only be good for the industry, but it's pretty far off my radar unfortunately.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Early 2000s Test was a pretty good in-ring performer destroyed by his bad booking.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

Disagree. It just formalises what should happen anyway (the winner shouldn't be dropping singles matches or why is he challenging the champ and not the guy who beat him?) and lets you showcase the winner by having high profile matches with them.

In fact, WWE NOT having the Rumble winner (or the MITB winner) do the same lately arguably hurts those concepts because it lets Vince beat those people like a drum because 'well, they won the Rumble/ladder match, so they're over'.

No, no, no, it's the talent's fault for not grabbing the brass ring! No talent in the history of the industry has needed booking behind them to get over!

god, WWE has been a loving trash fire for like fifteen years

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Claytor posted:

Early 2000s Test was a pretty good in-ring performer destroyed by his bad booking.

Yeah, Test before he stopped giving a poo poo after being destroyed by the lovely booking was alright.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Claytor posted:

I don't disagree w/this. The match with Kane at No Mercy '01 is very underrated.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Claytor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2S1GD_NbIQ

That finisher was so legit the audience thought he had a chance against Lesnar. One of my favorite finishers ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why don't more guys do the thigh slap for the big boot, tbh?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, Test before he stopped giving a poo poo after being destroyed by the lovely booking was alright.

Didn’t just about everyone think Test was was going to be huge after the Shane match?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, that Triple H-Stephanie-Vince storyline pretty much neutered his chances of becoming a potential main eventer. I remember him being ungodly over in that Shane match.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pseudodragon posted:

Didn’t just about everyone think Test was was going to be huge after the Shane match?

There was some thought he could be a legit main-eventer. I wouldn't go that far, he never really had mic skills, but he certainly could have been a legit upper-midcarder who occasionally challenged for the title on a b-show or whatever.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

When you're the size of Test, once you're over you don't need mic skills. You just need that goddamn boot.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Mine is that gimmick match themed pay per views are interesting in concept.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

The Rocks music has always sucked.

Even the intro...

.. ESPECIALLY the intro.

bullet club are good and should stick around.

also, chase owens is good and very underrated due to being kinda fat.

UnlimitedSpessmans fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 18, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

This is just a fact. Chase is a very capable hand, he knows his role & excels in it, he makes the guys he faces look good, but he looks garbage. In fact I'd argue with his haircut he plays into the garbage look.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

forkboy84 posted:

This is just a fact. Chase is a very capable hand, he knows his role & excels in it, he makes the guys he faces look good, but he looks garbage. In fact I'd argue with his haircut he plays into the garbage look.

rolling around in the garbage to cement yourself as garbage

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

bullet club are good and should stick around.

Wholeheartedly agree, he was my local indy's top heel for a while before NJPW started using him full-time, and he had a good match every show. Guy can go, he just happens to be surrounded by people who are even better

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

That finisher was so legit the audience thought he had a chance against Lesnar. One of my favorite finishers ever.

I've always loved The Barbarian's Big Boot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCexYJoYTM&t=183s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

lost my old email posted:

what i liked about gangrel is that he had his own way of doing everything. like his elbowdrop was his own weird way of doing an elbow drop. booker T was the same way
I know what you mean! Yeah, in his own words he was a Florida redneck who got into wrestling for the money, and then he had the good luck to go to Japan in a gimmick that Mrs. Baba took a liking to. His style kinda reminds me of Jake Roberts in how he has really good basics but he deliberately makes something as basic as a snap mare look vicious.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I know that Wrestling, (like most professional sports), has an ingrained culture of "play through the pain" when it comes to injuries. Insomuch as it's "I don't care that you broke a bone in your wrist. Tape it up and go out there and do your moves. What, you sprained your ankle? Well you have 5 more matches to do this week, so lace your boots up a little tighter and you'll be fine." And this attitude can come from both the promoter forcing the wrestler to wrestle, and the wrestler themselves not wanting to miss dates etc.

Does this translate to illness? I am not talking about the sniffles, (although when in a tight sweaty locker room, viruses like that would spread very quickly. SO it is probably something you don't want around.) I am talking stuff like a full on flu, or fever. Does the same "suck it up princess" mindset still apply?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the new Hot Ones episode, Austin tells a story of making GBS threads all over himself during a match with Yoko in South Africa. :allears:

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

NikkolasKing posted:

🤜🤛. I loving love Test's Big Boot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know that Wrestling, (like most professional sports), has an ingrained culture of "play through the pain" when it comes to injuries. Insomuch as it's "I don't care that you broke a bone in your wrist. Tape it up and go out there and do your moves. What, you sprained your ankle? Well you have 5 more matches to do this week, so lace your boots up a little tighter and you'll be fine." And this attitude can come from both the promoter forcing the wrestler to wrestle, and the wrestler themselves not wanting to miss dates etc.

Does this translate to illness? I am not talking about the sniffles, (although when in a tight sweaty locker room, viruses like that would spread very quickly. SO it is probably something you don't want around.) I am talking stuff like a full on flu, or fever. Does the same "suck it up princess" mindset still apply?

Don't know how true it was, but the story was Bret Hart had a 102 fever when he lost the IC belt to The Mountie.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

Don't know how true it was, but the story was Bret Hart had a 102 fever when he lost the IC belt to The Mountie.

Then the corpse of Gotch walked up, crying, saying Bret was the best wrestler he had ever seen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Randaconda posted:

On the new Hot Ones episode, Austin tells a story of making GBS threads all over himself during a match with Yoko in South Africa. :allears:

That episode is so great, Austin pausing for a moment like the heat has gotten to him before revealing he's actually checking his pulse was :discourse:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

He dropped the belt because Vince thought he was going to WCW/Bret was exploring the offer Atlanta had made him, Bret talks about it in his book.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno. Nothing leaps out. I'd go with "Attitude Era was actually mostly bad" but I don't think that's very controversial nowadays.

ECW on the WWE Network is unwatchable and I'd rather watch degraded 5th generation VHS rips with original music and promos because they were such a large part of the presentation of the promotion. But even that doesn't seem particularly unpopular an opinion.
Someone on /wooo/ has creating a project where they're taking the WWE Network audio/masters and mixing it in with the original entrances/music if you're interested in that. I have no idea what the stance on filesharing is for that if you've got a WWE Network sub already since it's literally just changing some of the audio

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Vince McMahon having Dusty Rhodes wrestle in polka dots was really not a big deal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why is Scott Steiner persona non grata in WWE?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm not entirely sure it's just this, but he has never been one to mince his words about how much he hates the McMahons, Trips in particular.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Why is Scott Steiner persona non grata in WWE?

He publicly said that they rushed him into working w/HHH knowing his foot was still injured, said that'd he do a drug test if HHH would do one at the same time (and that they backed off immediately after), said HHH is an overrated dick, publicly shat on Hogan, and I think he threatened to hurt a woman in the same interview (Linda, maybe? Fuzzy on this part).

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

and I think he threatened to hurt a woman in the same interview (Linda, maybe? Fuzzy on this part).

It was Hogan's 2nd wife; she said Steiner went up to her at an airport and threatened to kill Hogan, so that got him banned from the 2015 Hall of Fame.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aku posted:

It was Hogan's 2nd wife; she said Steiner went up to her at an airport and threatened to kill Hogan, so that got him banned from the 2015 Hall of Fame.

Ah, okay. I knew it was something like that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has Steve Austin ever seriously considered a return to the ring, even in a one off, since he retired? He was pretty beaten up by the end but they managed to shove enough money at Shawn Micheals and I assumed he was done forever.

Then again, Austin probably makes plenty from residuals, his podcast and whatever TV shows he works on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has Steve Austin ever seriously considered a return to the ring, even in a one off, since he retired? He was pretty beaten up by the end but they managed to shove enough money at Shawn Micheals and I assumed he was done forever.

Then again, Austin probably makes plenty from residuals, his podcast and whatever TV shows he works on.

No, his neck is hosed up so it'd be a bad idea for his health. I doubt he makes much off residuals anymore, the Network basically killed off that revenue stream. Licensing money for the toys and video games are still there though. But he's got money either way.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

No, his neck is hosed up so it'd be a bad idea for his health.

That's what I figured. I can't believe he managed to come back from that piledriver in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCXfezz4BB8

This video is what brought it up to me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He's never really said why, as far as I know. All we can do is speculate.

Austin went out on his back putting over Rock and he was hurt, and I'd imagine he never came back for a one-off because of his experience being a guy whose time it was to shine but got derailed by an un-retired Hulk Hogan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Austin could theoretically do a match in the Goldberg vein (not the Undertaker match, more the Lesnar, KO and Ziggler squashes) where he comes in, hits the Thesz press, some stomps, the stun gun and the stunner, but I think he's said he's not interested in doing that, that he'd only come back if he could work at a high level and he couldn't when he left, and the older he gets, the further away that is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Austin has spinal stenosis. Goldberg is the perfect example of why he shouldn't come back to do even a short match. You can get injured really badly just doing a short match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RIP Test