Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I never get tired of Steve Blackman stories, he's like a mythical unicorn in that era of WWF. A guy who legit knew how to fight and probably could kill everyone but they just put him in the Hardcore division to protect the rest of the roster.

Also here's the JBL airport story. love that Blackman comes off as an 80's school bully with the "I will finish you LATER" and JBL probably poo poo himself

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/3n0ba9/steve_blackman_fucked_up_jbl_in_an_airport_once/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Bob comes off in a lot of interviews as a guy who was a dick because that was just kind of the locker room culture. He strikes me as the kind of guy who if he came up in the current WWE would be one of the favorites of UUDD.

Definitely would have insisted on Final Destination, no items, Fox only.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember after the Benoit murder/suicide, i don't know which 24-hour news show it was had Mark Mero and Steve Blackman to talk about steroids in wrestling and every time Mero cut Blackman off Blackman would just take a sharp inhale through his nose and look to the ground like he was about to reach through his monitor and snap Mero's neck

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
That's funny. Blackman dropped out before he could face Mero, who lost to Bradshaw on takedowns.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The wrestlegames thread made me curious, what the hell is Del Rio up to these days?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I dont remember which Summer Slam (2003? 06?) it was but the mid card had Shane McMahon vs. Steve "The Lethal Weapon" Blackman and there was a point were Steve was kicking a downed Shane O' Mac in the stands and a fan was jumping up and down excitedly in perfect rhythm with Blackman's kicks creating the illusion that the fan was loving Steve in the butt, it was spectacular.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dick Bastardly posted:

I dont remember which Summer Slam (2003? 06?) it was but the mid card had Shane McMahon vs. Steve "The Lethal Weapon" Blackman and there was a point were Steve was kicking a downed Shane O' Mac in the stands and a fan was jumping up and down excitedly in perfect rhythm with Blackman's kicks creating the illusion that the fan was loving Steve in the butt, it was spectacular.

my second random fan thing, after the fan yelling "KILL YOURSELF!" at Beefcake, was the time there was a dramatic promo between HBK and JBL, and right between, almost in slow motion, rose one of those cardboard things of Shawn Michaels, circa about 1996 or so.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

The wrestlegames thread made me curious, what the hell is Del Rio up to these days?

He's started a new lucha company, Nacion Lucha Libre, where he's pushed like the strongest babyface in kayfabe history.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Also the company apparently doesn't pay their workers

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Angry_Ed posted:

Now wishing I was in the alternate universe where Steve Blackman destroyed everyone in the Brawl for All, especially Bradshaw.
If you rewatch Brawl For All with modern eyes, Blackman clearly has the best idea of what he's doing, like spamming takedowns on Mero when Mero was prepared to straight up box and even doing stuff ahead of of the MMA game at the time, like using the takedown spam to set up an overhand right. I have no doubt he would have taken the tournament.

(From a skills perspective, in spite of the end results of his fights, Godfather actually looks the next best, with functional boxing and shockingly great first layer takedown defense against Severn.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's funny. Blackman dropped out before he could face Mero, who lost to Bradshaw on takedowns.
...but he already beat Mero. Mero advanced as an alternate when Blackman got hurt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Never a better time to repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEaWKzq8iF0

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

davidbix posted:

(From a skills perspective, in spite of the end results of his fights, Godfather actually looks the next best, with functional boxing and shockingly great first layer takedown defense against Severn.
I'm not saying he's not good, but I think he did so well against Severn because of the height and weight advantage.

quote:

...but he already beat Mero. Mero advanced as an alternate when Blackman got hurt.
Ha, gently caress, I was totally spacing on that one.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also they mysteriously withdrew Severn from the tournament after it became apparent being a pretty good fighter ala Godfather wasn't going to match up to Severn's "Wait, I get five points for a double leg? Then I'm doing that twice and then holding this guy down until time runs out"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

How did WWE ever get B4A passed by an athletic commission? (I fully expect the answer to be “lol they didn’t”)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

my second random fan thing, after the fan yelling "KILL YOURSELF!" at Beefcake, was the time there was a dramatic promo between HBK and JBL, and right between, almost in slow motion, rose one of those cardboard things of Shawn Michaels, circa about 1996 or so.

This is always funny to me, any time a giant cardboard cutout of a wrestler appears. Please share videos or pictures or gifs where this happens, I've been good.

EDIT: Unrelated, but this will also never stop being funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd53lRZfnV0

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 24, 2019

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I loved when someone had :gay: in the crowd.

And when someone put up :words: at HHH. So we referred to him as words for ages.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Is it just me or is the essence of Cena's character based upon cultural appropriation?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dick Bastardly posted:

Is it just me or is the essence of Cena's character based upon cultural appropriation?

No, it's based on stolen valor.

Serious: I think the cross-pollination of white voices in hip hop music, by the time Cena started doing it, is more complicated than that. Especially as he was basically positioned as Vanilla Ice as a lower card heel and then more Eminem as he started being booked more seriously

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 24, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Punch McLightning posted:

He's started a new lucha company, Nacion Lucha Libre, where he's pushed like the strongest babyface in kayfabe history.

So basically, all this time, del Rio has been the Mexican Jeff Jarrett?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

So basically, all this time, del Rio has been the Mexican Jeff Jarrett?

Nah, before he was ruined by booking, del Rio looked like he belonged in the main event

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

davidbix posted:

Uh, why was that shocking? He was the Supreme Fighting Machine, after all!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Davros1 posted:

Uh, why was that shocking? He was the Supreme Fighting Machine, after all!

Was Kama before or after Papa Shango?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Nystral posted:

I think after

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nystral posted:

It was after. Papa Shango was done in '93, Kama came along during the Million Dollar Corporation era, debuting in '95. Stole the urn at Wrestlemania XI

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

he stopped doing shango in 94, and came back from a stint in USWA as kama in the new generation era

e;fb

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 24, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Then he became Kama Mustafa, which was weird to me because it sounded so similar to Colonel Mustafa.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This is a weird Wikipedia passage

quote:

Wright had verbally agreed to join World Championship Wrestling to serve as the enforcer for the New World Order, but then mysteriously never heard from WCW afterwards. Wright then learned that WCW signed Virgil to be the NWO's enforcer by watching WCW Monday Nitro at home with his wife, and that they had signed him for less than what they offered Wright. Wright stated that while he was bitter by this episode, it allowed him to create The Godfather character, and as a result was one of the few WWF talents to stay loyal to the company during the Monday Night Wars.
1) I don't know if this really counts as "staying loyal", since he only didn't jump to WCW because Virgil apparently was cheaper.

2) Is the list of people who "stayed loyal" to WWF really that low? I guess they're not counting an Austin/Foley/HHH/anyone who was in WCW prior to/in the nascent "Monday Night Wars" era?

3) This is now my favorite minor What If of wrestling and the butterfly effect of there being no Godfather or Curly Bill.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun fact, according to Charles Wright the Kama part of the name is actually an acronym for Kickin' A Man's rear end

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

I like how most companies would, y'know, scout talent, work out which ones would work the best on their rosters, give them a tryout, then sign a deal, while WCW was like "We don't have enough of them there black fellas. Who's the cheapest one we can find?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

dsriggs posted:

I like how most companies would, y'know, scout talent, work out which ones would work the best on their rosters, give them a tryout, then sign a deal, while WCW was like "We don't have enough of them there black fellas. Who's the cheapest one we can find?"

There is no way that '96 WCW said "who is the cheapest we can find?" and not "who is the most expensive we can find?"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

forkboy84 posted:

Stole the urn at Wrestlemania XI
and melted it down into some chains.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

forkboy84 posted:

There is no way that '96 WCW said "who is the cheapest we can find?" and not "who is the most expensive we can find?"

Remember that WCW was subject to racial discrimination lawsuits.

For your reading pleasure: https://www.scribd.com/document/304892811/WCW-Racial-Discrimination-Lawsuit

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 24, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I loves me some WCW, but wrestling has always been racist as gently caress and it has shown no signs of stopping thus far.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is there a kayfabe reason why the inverted atomic drop is legal and not considered a low blow?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is there a kayfabe reason why the inverted atomic drop is legal and not considered a low blow?

Tailbone

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, same reason Bret and Jeff Hardy could do a stomp/legdrop to the 'lower abdomen'.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I believe the logic is because the victim falls onto a stationary leg, rather than the leg moving, it doesn't count. Gotta love loopholes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

How did WWE ever get B4A passed by an athletic commission? (I fully expect the answer to be “lol they didn’t”)

That is in fact the answer.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Did Blackman have a legit fighting career? Like no one really questions that he would have murdered the other wrestlers but is there my reason to think Severn/Shamrock wouldn’t have just taken him down like Severn/Godfather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Did Blackman have a legit fighting career? Like no one really questions that he would have murdered the other wrestlers but is there my reason to think Severn/Shamrock wouldn’t have just taken him down like Severn/Godfather?

Not a career, no. After he got over malaria he started training in escrima and tae kwon do before he got back to pro wrestling, according to wikipedia. And he runs an MMA gym now, while is like a fighting career I guess?