Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
A question from a friend of mine after we were talking about Hogan and Flair's financial woes: who are some wrestlers who were fiscally responsible? I don't really want to count guys like Austin and Rock in this, guys who made shitloads of money and just had to avoid pulling a Flair or MC Hammer with their fortunes. Guys who were never raking in tons of money but still managed to save their money intelligently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think it's been commented that Christian was pretty good with his money.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CVagts posted:

A question from a friend of mine after we were talking about Hogan and Flair's financial woes: who are some wrestlers who were fiscally responsible? I don't really want to count guys like Austin and Rock in this, guys who made shitloads of money and just had to avoid pulling a Flair or MC Hammer with their fortunes. Guys who were never raking in tons of money but still managed to save their money intelligently.

I'm sure Foley did well but he was known for staying at cheapskate hotels and spending as little money as possible on the road.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm sure Foley did well but he was known for staying at cheapskate hotels and spending as little money as possible on the road.

His WWE contracts were also pretty lucrative. Not Austin / Rock levels, but enough to let him buy a pretty gorgeous house in Florida (and I think he co-owns a gym).

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lance Storm is doing pretty good. He runs a wrestling school and only wrestles when he wants to, but then again Lance Storm has got to be one the most straight laced and responsible guys in wrestling. I'd like to know if he has any vices at all.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Grant DaNasty posted:

Lance Storm is doing pretty good. He runs a wrestling school and only wrestles when he wants to, but then again Lance Storm has got to be one the most straight laced and responsible guys in wrestling. I'd like to know if he has any vices at all.

His only vice is striving to appear more mature than jericho at all times

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grant DaNasty posted:

Mystery novels.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Grant DaNasty posted:

NYPD Blue. The worst vice of all.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CVagts posted:

A question from a friend of mine after we were talking about Hogan and Flair's financial woes: who are some wrestlers who were fiscally responsible?

Kane is said to be very good with his money, and Tito Santana was so level-headed that keeping your family together and not pissing away what you'd earned came to be known as "the Tito thing" in the locker room.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

CombineThresher posted:

Kane is said to be very good with his money

I'm surprised he didn't put it all in gold

quote:

Tito Santana was so level-headed that keeping your family together and not pissing away what you'd earned came to be known as "the Tito thing" in the locker room.

The fact that they have a special term for not being a profligate dick says the world about the wrestling business

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I'm surprised he didn't put it all in gold

The fact that they have a special term for not being a profligate dick says the world about the wrestling business

It was pointed out yesterday but Chris Kreski was the lead writer before Steph took over creative. He took extreme care in his job was responsible for, amongst other things, a huge chart that listed out wrestler relationships, motivations, etc. and planned things out during the height of the WWE attitude era and I think around 2000. This guy did a great job and likely responsible for a great deal of the entertaining stuff that went on during his tenure and what was he called? A Nerd. They looked negatively at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kreski

This is a company that lets professional and good employees go and is full of immature dicks jealous of or easily hurt like high school children protective of their spot. It's why it will never reach the heights it did unless they get their poo poo together but they don't create an environment that fosters such a thing and they don't care.

Vault Zero
May 3, 2007
a product of The Coca-Cola Company

And having fans pay for his soup, because he wasn't much of a drinker.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The worst part about the wrestling business is that anybody who doesn't take it seriously is bullied. Anybody who does is labeled a nerd or a mark.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

It was pointed out yesterday but Chris Kreski was the lead writer before Steph took over creative. He took extreme care in his job was responsible for, amongst other things, a huge chart that listed out wrestler relationships, motivations, etc. and planned things out during the height of the WWE attitude era and I think around 2000. This guy did a great job and likely responsible for a great deal of the entertaining stuff that went on during his tenure and what was he called? A Nerd. They looked negatively at it.

It gets worse:

quote:

Kreski died of cancer in 2005.

:(

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Macho Man saved and invested very well.

Bonesaw on the other hand... :smith:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Gatts posted:

This is a company that lets professional and good employees go and is full of immature dicks jealous of or easily hurt like high school children protective of their spot. It's why it will never reach the heights it did unless they get their poo poo together but they don't create an environment that fosters such a thing and they don't care.
Was the atmosphere for writers hugely different before Stephanie took over? It just seems like Russo, besides the insane hours he had to work, was taken more seriously by Vince when he was a writer for WWF(judging by what I've seen of his shoot interviews anyway) than the writers who've I heard on Lagana's podcast.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

savinhill posted:

Was the atmosphere for writers hugely different before Stephanie took over? It just seems like Russo, besides the insane hours he had to work, was taken more seriously by Vince when he was a writer for WWF(judging by what I've seen of his shoot interviews anyway) than the writers who've I heard on Lagana's podcast.

I do believe Russo when he says that him and Ferrera had to travel with Vince almost every waking hour to discuss the product. Vince expected his writers to be as involved in the product as he was. I believe that Vince respected Chris Kreski for being just as involved but called him a nerd for needing flowcharts since Vince keeps it all in his brain. Stephanie misinterpreted that in meaning you didn't need to pay attention to details.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Owen was another guy who was smart with his money.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Macho Man saved and invested very well.

Macho is my favourite example because he had the money to purchase WCW back in 2001. I think he had a few investors but he claimed he was ready and willing to pay much, much more for WCW than the WWF paid.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

He wasn't ready :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I'm remembering right, I believe either Steve Lombardi or Barry Horowitz (one of the frequent jobbers of the 80s) basically saved all their cash and ended up not rich, but basically financially secure and comfortable for the rest of their lives, and commented on how they couldn't believe so many of the stars who made WAAAAY more money could be in financial straits today.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Perdido posted:

Owen was another guy who was smart with his money.

his wife on the other hand....

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lone Rogue posted:

Macho is my favourite example because he had the money to purchase WCW back in 2001. I think he had a few investors but he claimed he was ready and willing to pay much, much more for WCW than the WWF paid.

Just gonna say a wrestling organization run by Macho Man Randy Savage would put on the greatest shows in the history of our planet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

I do believe Russo when he says that him and Ferrera had to travel with Vince almost every waking hour to discuss the product. Vince expected his writers to be as involved in the product as he was. I believe that Vince respected Chris Kreski for being just as involved but called him a nerd for needing flowcharts since Vince keeps it all in his brain. Stephanie misinterpreted that in meaning you didn't need to pay attention to details.

If you pay attention to writers instead of pulling stuff out of your rear end you'd know that Vince sees most of the writers as geeks and treats them as such around the boys to maintain his image. It doesn't have anything to do with keeping it all in his brain, he goes into jock mode and shows up the writers to look like VINCE MCMAHON drat IT!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WWE Creative writer is just a largely ceremonial position and a heat shield for terrible McMahon ideas and hazing, it seems. At least if any of the former writers on the Formerly Creative podcast are to be believed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

WWE Creative writer is just a largely ceremonial position and a heat shield for terrible McMahon ideas and hazing, it seems. At least if any of the former writers on the Formerly Creative podcast are to be believed.

The things some of you manage to convince yourselves of. Yes I'm sure they have an entire team of writers that they just ritually ignore while plotting out 7-10 hours of programming every week. That is the likeliest thing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
WWE Creative writes more than any other person on television, really. There's no off-season. It does seem the travel is excessive, though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The things some of you manage to convince yourselves of. Yes I'm sure they have an entire team of writers that they just ritually ignore while plotting out 7-10 hours of programming every week. That is the likeliest thing.

Did you listen to the podcasts? Many of them were frustrated because they would put a ton of work into storylines and poo poo that is actually coherent only to have it slapped down every time by Vince because he'd rather put on whatever he feels like seeing on television that day anyway. All of their stories line up pretty much the same - Vince puts on what he wants to see and he jobs guys out and crushes storylines just to see how they'll handle it. He's obviously not concerned with putting on the best program possible.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 18, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did you listen to the podcasts? Many of them were frustrated because they would put a ton of work into storylines and poo poo that is actually coherent only to have it slapped down every time by Vince because he'd rather put on whatever he feels like seeing on television that day anyway.

Or rather, he'd agree to the writers' plans before he got on the plane, but by the end of the plane ride with Dunn and Hayes he'd changed his mind

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Or rather, he'd agree to the writers' plans before he got on the plane, but by the end of the plane ride with Dunn and Hayes he'd changed his mind

Indeed, that too. He's just a manchild with a very expensive toy company full of yes men.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Indeed, that too. He's just a manchild with a very expensive toy company full of yes men.

That's the thing, Dunn isn't a yes man. Yes men would just go along with whatever Vince said. From the sound of it Dunn actually has a lot of sway over Vince's opinions, to the extent that he can totally change his mind in the course of a single plane ride.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

That's the thing, Dunn isn't a yes man. Yes men would just go along with whatever Vince said. From the sound of it Dunn actually has a lot of sway over Vince's opinions, to the extent that he can totally change his mind in the course of a single plane ride.

So you're trying to say he's a witch?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Writer Cath posted:

So you're trying to say he's a witch?

He's the real Higher Power

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Golden Bee posted:

WWE Creative writes more than any other person on television, really. There's no off-season. It does seem the travel is excessive, though.

It's really a bit of both. They're expected to basically make the WWE their entire lives and I remember more than one guy mentioning stories of getting called up in the middle of vacations or days off and that by the time you leave it's kind of weird because you've basically spent however long completely buried in that world.

At the same time, though, everything they do is subject to the whims of Vince, Stephanie, Dunn and the like so you could probably spend a ton of time doing something or getting something for this guy and then it's decided from hire up that you're going to do this instead. I don't think it's largely ceremonial and as much of a heat shield but they do make for a convenient scapegoat for fans to toss criticism at. Although undoubtedly plenty of writers have come up with plenty of bad ideas that probably somehow managed to see the light of day.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Back during the late 90s, Raw used to be called "Raw is War" for the first hour, and "War Zone" for the second hour. Why did they do this, and why did they stop doing it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Back during the late 90s, Raw used to be called "Raw is War" for the first hour, and "War Zone" for the second hour. Why did they do this, and why did they stop doing it?

It technically made it into two shows, which meant they could charge more for advertising for one of the hours, from memory. I could have that wrong, but I'm sure I've heard that explanation given before.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

It technically made it into two shows, which meant they could charge more for advertising for one of the hours, from memory. I could have that wrong, but I'm sure I've heard that explanation given before.

And it meant they could have different ratings for different hours

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
efb

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

He's the real Higher Power

Be prepared for the HOWER POWER

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I believe it's to do with rating so you can track who's watching what at what hour. And the probably stopped once their major rival wasn't a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
I'm pretty sure they dropped the "war" after 9/11.