Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What are you talking about?

Kurt Angle was the master of submission. :smug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWVrJQPAZtg

the resulting match was incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Eddie posted:

Some people say Edge, Mysterio and Cena are the future. I say we are!

2 of them dead, 1 retired and another a complete mess on TNA. :smith:

Also, it depends on how specific you're looking. There's been numerous wrestlers described as being submission wrestling experts or 'mat based technicians.' Plus guys who have been lauded as being match experts.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
What was the deal with the original Doink going to ECW? I know he wore half the face paint and was called Bourne Again or something was this part of the WWE/ECW agreement?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MisterGBH posted:

What was the deal with the original Doink going to ECW? I know he wore half the face paint and was called Bourne Again or something was this part of the WWE/ECW agreement?

Nope. Matt Bourne had drug problems throughout his career. Between that and a vocal opposition to turning Doink face he was fired by WWE. This also occurred before WWF and ECW had an agreement. There are not a lot of clips of this gimmick, I think Bourne wound up having to leave ECW because he drug problems got in the way there too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

Nope. Matt Bourne had drug problems throughout his career. Between that and a vocal opposition to turning Doink face he was fired by WWE. This also occurred before WWF and ECW had an agreement. There are not a lot of clips of this gimmick, I think Bourne wound up having to leave ECW because his drug problems got in the way there too.

Wow. Those must have been some serious drug problems, then. I recall Mick Foley saying that Bourne's mean, scary version of Doink got over because Bourne was/is a mean, scary guy, so that might play into his career tailspin as well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

Wow. Those must have been some serious drug problems, then. I recall Mick Foley saying that Bourne's mean, scary version of Doink got over because Bourne was/is a mean, scary guy, so that might play into his career tailspin as well.

I refuse to believe this! Big Josh was so cuddly :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I loved Heel-Doink. So creepy, had a gimmick with a few facets and he could actually take it to the mat *just* enough to make his matches entertaining.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

LordPants posted:

Man I loved Heel-Doink. So creepy, had a gimmick with a few facets and he could actually take it to the mat *just* enough to make his matches entertaining.
Seriously, I was so ready to hate that gimmick, it seemed like the worst of mid-'90s WWF dreck, but it ended up being incredible. And that scary theme music... :ohdear:

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

WeaselWeaz posted:

Nope. Matt Bourne had drug problems throughout his career. Between that and a vocal opposition to turning Doink face he was fired by WWE. This also occurred before WWF and ECW had an agreement. There are not a lot of clips of this gimmick, I think Bourne wound up having to leave ECW because he drug problems got in the way there too.

Jeez like CombineThresher must have been quite the problem! Thanks for this.

I just started searching Youtube for some examples. Cheers.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Also of note Doink and Jim Duggan shot on each other in some indy fed about a year ago.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Moose Bigelow posted:

Also of note Doink and Jim Duggan shot on each other in some indy fed about a year ago.

Wasn't that a work?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Wasn't that a work?

Isn't everything a work? Think about it.

serious answer: not according to radio interview with doink later on.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Moose Bigelow posted:

serious answer: not according to radio interview with doink later on.

Well, Borne is crazy, so maybe it was a shoot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

I don't think Angle's gimmick was "master of x" so much as it was "Olympic gold medalist/hey guys he's good at wrestling but for real wink wink"

Well, he kind of transitioned into a more generic 'shooter' gimmick, which usually does come with the idea of being a big technical and/or submission guy, and his main finish is a submission hold, which is usually all it takes to be called a 'master of submissions'.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Gaz-L posted:

his main finish is a submission hold, which is usually all it takes to be called a 'master of submissions'.

See: Stro, The Maestro of Professional Wrestling and master of the figure 4 leglock (even if he can't do it correctly).

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
where does "its a shoot brother" come from?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

DonJNavarro posted:

where does "its a shoot brother" come from?

Vince Russo

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

FishBulb posted:

Vince Russo

I almost started to do a further explanation, but it wouldn't be any better than that. Russo in WCW, to be exact.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I almost started to do a further explanation, but it wouldn't be any better than that. Russo in WCW, to be exact.

It was used in WCW prior to Russo in a promo about how ??? & ??? were the best tag team in wrestling today and that's a shoot brother. I want to say Kevin Sullivan.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Moose Bigelow posted:

It was used in WCW prior to Russo in a promo about how ??? & ??? were the best tag team in wrestling today and that's a shoot brother. I want to say Kevin Sullivan.

Yuck. My earliest remembrance was Hulk Hogan telling his nephew Horace Boulder to "shoot with it" or something. That would have been 1998, during the Warrior feud, although that wouldn't be the first time I remember the sentiment being expressed in WCW - that would probably be the "The Internet has All the Scoops, brother" promo, when Hogan burned an Observer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yuck. My earliest remembrance was Hulk Hogan telling his nephew Horace Boulder to "shoot with it" or something. That would have been 1998, during the Warrior feud, although that wouldn't be the first time I remember the sentiment being expressed in WCW - that would probably be the "The Internet has All the Scoops, brother" promo, when Hogan burned an Observer.

Or booker man to Kevin Sullivan

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I went to Goodwill to buy some jeans today and found a DVD of Vengeance 2004 for $1.99, so I figured why not. Should I bother watching anything on it other than Edge vs Orton for IC title and Benoit vs HHH for World Heavweight title?

edit - here's the full card
Tyson Tomko pinned Val Venis (2:52).

Yoshihiro Tajiri & Rhyno beat Garrison Cade & Jonathon Coachman (7:30) when Tajiri pinned Coachman.

Batista pinned Chris Jericho (12:19).

World Tag Champs Rob Conway & Sylvan Grenier beat Ric Flair & Eugene (12:30) via DQ.

Matt Hardy pinned Kane (10:34) in a "no DQ" match.

Edge pinned Randy Orton (26:36) to win the WWE I-C Title.

Victoria pinned Molly Holly (6:20).

World Champ Chris Benoit pinned Triple H (29:04).

Monkeycheese fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 21, 2011

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
You'll probably get a cool Tajiri mist spot with Coachman, but that's about it otherwise. And ordinarily the idea of a 26 minute Edge/Orton match would be an instant turnoff for me, but this was back before either of them was a main eventer, so it might be good.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I recall not liking it as much as their match on Raw.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

That Tomko/Venis match is a classic, definitely the best of their feud.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
La Resistance vs. Eugene and Ric Flair ought to be interesting, and the diva's match should be OK. Just watch them all, get your 2.00 worth.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

CVagts posted:

You'll probably get a cool Tajiri mist spot with Coachman, but that's about it otherwise. And ordinarily the idea of a 26 minute Edge/Orton match would be an instant turnoff for me, but this was back before either of them was a main eventer, so it might be good.

I think its the same one that's on that History of the IC Title DVD. If it's that one, it's pretty drat good.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

That Tomko/Venis match is a classic, definitely the best of their feud.

Is this sarcasm? The match lasted less than 3 minutes.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The show is about as lifeless as it looks but the main event is fine if not severely overbooked (if this is the one I'm thinking of) and definitely worth $2

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Have Pac and Ricochet had a singles match recently?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Have Pac and Ricochet had a singles match recently?

How recently? This is from March: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHyV9tFIs-M

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

apsouthern posted:

How recently? This is from March: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHyV9tFIs-M

That is certainly recent enough. Thanks!

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

crankdatbatman posted:

You really need to go back and revisit that feud. Some of the best wrestling on the undercard with those 2.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

crankdatbatman posted:

Yes, I'm being facetious.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

What event had Tomko and Richards in the worst match of the decade? I'm too lasy to google it. Also somebody finish this post for mezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Moose Bigelow posted:

What event had Tomko and Richards in the worst match of the decade? I'm too lasy to google it. Also somebody finish this post for mezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Unforgiven 2004.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Unforgiven 2004.

What's the story behind this match? Why is it considered so legendarily awful?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What's the story behind this match? Why is it considered so legendarily awful?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G2hHA7LIm8

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Jesus Christ why is he dressed like a woman. I stopped watching WWE a few months prior, so this is some new territory for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I actually expected worse.

Tomko pretty much does nothing but punch and choke Richards. But at least he chokes him like five different ways. He also hit his finisher properly.

Richards used some of the worst punches ever and it took him until the later half of the match to use a different move. Which was a low dropkick. Which he used twice.

Richards starting to no sell at some point was hilarious as well. What is he, trying to hulk up? Or was Tomko using such ineffective moves that it barely hurt him? I couldn't tell which.

Watching it without sound was even worse because I originally thought Tomko was the face. Then soon realized he was the heel with Richards' hulk up.

I can see why people hated it so, but I've seen worse. I'd have to watch it again, but Riley/Cena in a cage was probably worse. At least Tomko and Richards hit all of their moves properly. Except for Richards punches. Yikes. Even RVD can throw a better punch.