Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The crowd turned Orton months before they were planning on turning him because Foley and Benoit did such a nice job showcasing Orton. WWE decided to go with it (good) but tried to book an eight month long feud with Triple H before having Orton finally get his big decisive win at Mania (so, so not good). Orton's popularity tanked when he started doing jobs to Triple H to build that feud, and by the time that Mania came around Orton had already been forced to turn back heel.

Meanwhile, the crowd got super-behind Batista that fall when they did a quick little Evolution dissension tease, which caused them to basically put Batista in the spot that was originally intended for Orton.

In retrospect it actually worked out fine because Orton wasn't ready for a top face run (and actually never has hit that level he was supposed to) and Batista was, but at the time the handling of Orton was incomprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The worst part about Legacy was that the crowd was red-hot for Cody to turn face when Orton & DiBiase were beating up Dusty, and they were red-hot months later for Ted to turn face when Orton & Rhodes were beating up Ted Sr., and WWE refused to pull the trigger on either. They opted to turn Orton face by having him (finally) realize that his blindly loyal followers were incompetent dolts costing him more matches than they were helping him win.

Instead of taking either of two young semi-over heels and turning them into potential mega-faces against the mega-over heel Orton, they turned the mega-over heel Orton into mega-over face Orton and let Cody & Ted flounder as bumbling fools. Cody managed to recover slightly thanks to the mask run & hung on as a midcarder, but Ted's a complete nobody.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The Batista turn might be the most perfectly-timed face turn of the past 10 years. When he attacked HHH to make it official, the crowd was absolutely rabid for it. Perfect example of the "predictable" outcome being the best one if the storytelling is good and the pacing is right.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Tato posted:

My first exposure to guys like Chris Hero was from JCW. The in-ring quality is terrible, but in conjunction with the commentary it's pretty funny. The quality of the rings themselves, however, is a little scary. I remember watching some JCW DVD where a guy attempted a middle rope moonsault outside the ring and the rope just snapped, making him fall head first into the ground.

Was this the show that featured Shane Douglas and the XPW (shudder) invasion?

If so, I was about 5 feet away from where the dude landed in the front row.

And yes, the crowd at an ICP wrestling show is exactly what you think it is.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

The Batista turn might be the most perfectly-timed face turn of the past 10 years. When he attacked HHH to make it official, the crowd was absolutely rabid for it. Perfect example of the "predictable" outcome being the best one if the storytelling is good and the pacing is right.

That was a great moment and also led to the best set of gifs ever, including the dinosaur thumbs down.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

oldskool posted:

The worst part about Legacy was that the crowd was red-hot for Cody to turn face when Orton & DiBiase were beating up Dusty, and they were red-hot months later for Ted to turn face when Orton & Rhodes were beating up Ted Sr., and WWE refused to pull the trigger on either. They opted to turn Orton face by having him (finally) realize that his blindly loyal followers were incompetent dolts costing him more matches than they were helping him win.

Instead of taking either of two young semi-over heels and turning them into potential mega-faces against the mega-over heel Orton, they turned the mega-over heel Orton into mega-over face Orton and let Cody & Ted flounder as bumbling fools. Cody managed to recover slightly thanks to the mask run & hung on as a midcarder, but Ted's a complete nobody.

I can't help but wonder why they "tried" to pull the trigger with Alex Riley over Miz instead of these.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Jetfire posted:

I can't help but wonder why they "tried" to pull the trigger with Alex Riley over Miz instead of these.

Alex Riley has a bodybuilder physique and Vince's preferred kind of face, Rhodes and Dibiase don't. I don't think there's a lot of wonder there.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

A-Ri had all the tools they could have wanted except any discernible wrestling ability. He had a good look, some charisma, a good wrestling entrance theme, and decent momentum. Then they had him wrestle and oh my god.

Bless you, John Cena, for allegedly killing his push. Bless you.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is Alex Riley even still employed?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

is Alex Riley even still employed?

He was in the show-closing battle royal on Raw this week

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

so that was his first Raw or Smackdown appearance in how long?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

ThatCguy posted:

Was this the show that featured Shane Douglas and the XPW (shudder) invasion?

If so, I was about 5 feet away from where the dude landed in the front row.

Yes it was. On the DVD they cut Shane Douglas' promo to 2 minutes and just ridiculed him on commentary the entire time he on screen. It was hilarious.

Riley should stop taping up his arm like it's broken. It reminds me of Bob Orton and the last thing Alex Riley needs is to do is anything that makes someone think of other wrestlers and how much he sucks in comparison. Regardless, I will probably always think he sucks because of that Swagger botch and I will always think Swagger is a beast for getting him up.

Tato fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 24, 2013

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

so that was his first Raw or Smackdown appearance in how long?

July 3rd at the Great American Bash edition of Smackdown in a loss to Ziggler that didn't even go 3 minutes. Actually this was the match where Dolph qualified for MitB.

Or rather, not long enough

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Does anyone have the list of content that the Wrestlemania Anthology sets either cut or edit out? I don't know if there is a full list anywhere, but I remember a lot of the edits being discussed somewhere on the boards a year or so back.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Claytor posted:

That's because of all of the core members of Legacy, Orton had the best established character and the longest career to that point. When you're counting on one wrestler to carry a stable on his shoulders in the ring and on the microphone, and the bulk of that wrestler's skillset is evenly split between headlocks and talking slowly, you're completely hosed.

Orton as leader of Evolution sidesteps those problems by keeping Orton with an enforcer who can cover his weaknesses in the ring and a manager who can cover his weaknesses on the mic.

Randy Orton is actually a pretty good wrestler soooooo…

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatCguy posted:

I caught an early JCW show in Cincy back in May of 2000, and this is spot-on. They had a guy working a gay gimmick (you can imagine the heel heat, sadly) and I watched a lit cigarette land in his blonde afro while he was cutting a promo in-ring.

ICP wrestled in the main event and I don't know if there's anything more terrifying than the reaction of Juggalos when "Chicken Huntin" starts up. I kinda feared for my life.

Oh, and before the show the cops had to disperse the crowd and spray down the sidewalk due to idiots spraying Faygo.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Randy Orton is actually a pretty good wrestler soooooo…

He's getting better, but he used to be really boring and he's still not as good as everyone in the company makes him out to be. He's got great body language, but he's not a versatile performer and his promo voice is terrible.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
He never says anything interesting. At least the legend-killer gimmick had some sort of point.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Supreme Allah posted:

He never says anything interesting. At least the legend-killer gimmick had some sort of point.

Orton was also really good at the start of Legacy, when he said he had whatever disorder it was that made him kick people in the head and go after Stephanie while HHH was handcuffed to the ropes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CombineThresher posted:

He's getting better, but he used to be really boring and he's still not as good as everyone in the company makes him out to be. He's got great body language, but he's not a versatile performer and his promo voice is terrible.
Didn't Randy used to be good at doing promos instead of the slow... monotone...... boring character that we have today?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Supreme Allah posted:

At least the legend-killer gimmick had some sort of point.

The 'spoiled little punk' gimmick was something I could get behind. RNN was pretty clever, but they ditched that idea after a month.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't Randy used to be good at doing promos instead of the slow... monotone...... boring character that we have today?

I remember Randy Orton being a slow, monotone promo as far back as his feud with the Undertaker.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Orton was also really good at the start of Legacy, when he said he had whatever disorder it was that made him kick people in the head and go after Stephanie while HHH was handcuffed to the ropes.

That Orton was the best Orton and I wish they'd carried on with the gimmick. Someone who was legitimately (insofar as kayfabe is legitimate, which it isn't) sick in the head and could go off on anyone at any time was scary and compelling. It was like a more fleshed-out version of the Austin character, and totally fit with his slower promo style.

I would've written it that he brought it up to excuse his actions, as he did, but he actually gets diagnosed with the disorder. Maybe that'd hit too close to home with the Benoit stuff though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Orton DDT'ing Stephanie and then smooching her while an enraged Hunter was 2 feet away was an insane angle, and definitely was one of the more interesting things Orton has ever taken part in.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
The best Orton to me will always be a toss-up between car-hood RKO'ing, Birthday Cake RKO'ing Legend Killer Randy, and goofy split-jumping, cookie-eating-mid-Christmas-match Apex Predator Randy.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gonz posted:

Orton DDT'ing Stephanie and then smooching her while an enraged Hunter was 2 feet away was an insane angle, and definitely was one of the more interesting things Orton has ever taken part in.

I remember I was watching Raw and my roommates were around, they're not really wrestling fans. Anyway, everyone ended up really into that segment, it was like the opposite of someone walking in while Trish is barking like a dog

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

I remember I was watching Raw and my roommates were around, they're not really wrestling fans. Anyway, everyone ended up really into that segment, it was like the opposite of someone walking in while Trish is barking like a dog

Then it was ruined by Shanes phantom punches, motor boating, and the wrestlemania match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonz posted:

The infuriating thing about that period was that every week Orton would do something amazing and then Triple H would laugh it off or beat down Orton and Legacy like it wasn't anything, and completely deflate the whole thing. Then Orton would come out again the next week and ramp everything up and make it exciting again.... and Triple H would laugh it off or beat down Orton and Legacy like it wasn't anything.

Then they finally had their Wrestlemania match which was.... drab to say the least. They put a perfectly serviceable but not particularly stand-out Raw main event match into the top spot at Wrestle-goddamn-Mania. :doh:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

triplexpac posted:

Hunter's acting is what really sold it. Orton was A+ as an insane creeper during that segment, but Hunter's infuriation and sense of helplessness and the fact that he had a look on his face that said "I will tear your head from your shoulders if I get out of these cuffs" really tied it all together. It was really uncomfortable to watch, which is probably why so many people were drawn in by it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I still think this is Hunters best acting. He really sold this and made it a big fucken deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0H30BK9i4

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The look on Orton's face when he realises he's just punted Vince is one of the best facial reactions that I've ever seen. He just sells the character perfectly in the space of ten seconds.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The infuriating thing about that period was that every week Orton would do something amazing and then Triple H would laugh it off or beat down Orton and Legacy like it wasn't anything, and completely deflate the whole thing. Then Orton would come out again the next week and ramp everything up and make it exciting again.... and Triple H would laugh it off or beat down Orton and Legacy like it wasn't anything.

I wasn't watching during this time period, but reading this I couldn't help but think it's an interesting contrast to the way he reacted to Foley becoming Cactus Jack (which bobkatt013 just happened to post while I was typing this). Foley completely credits Triple H's reaction with legitimizing Cactus as a more dangerous person than Mankind, but it sounds like he went in the exact opposite direction when dealing with Orton.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

bobkatt013 posted:

I still think this is Hunters best acting. He really sold this and made it a big fucken deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0H30BK9i4

As Mick himself said, if HHH DIDN'T sell this segment like he had simultaneously seen a ghost and caught his balls in his zipper, it would have fallen flat on its face. I mean, take Hunter out of the equation. It's just a guy taking a mask and a shirt off, and insisting he's a different person.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, at some point Triple H seems to have decided that it was more important to remain his own character's "coolness" and that merely being in the ring with him would somehow raise other people up to his level instead of him "lowering" himself to their level by treating them as legitimate threats. He'd still have moments, of course, such as his fear of Batista but he usually reserves breaking his "cool" for guys who are already truly established - such as his bloodbath with Ric Flair where he starts to panic as he realizes that Flair isn't the has-been he thought, or his second Mania match with Undertaker where Taker kicks out of the Tombstone Piledriver and Triple H backs away from Taker's non-moving corpse with utter terror in his eyes as he realizes that nothing can stop this inhuman thing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Was WH2K/PSP around back in 2004? I'm just trying to imagine the climate of the gameday thread for the Wrestlemania 20 main event. The sense of utter disbelief at that final shot must've been palpable.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

such as his bloodbath with Ric Flair where he starts to panic as he realizes that Flair isn't the has-been he thought...

When was this? I'm not sure that I've seen it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

LightsGameraAction posted:

I think it was a cage match Taboo Tuesday or Cyber Sunday or something? I may be wrong

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Taboo Tuesday 2005. An absolutely incredible match, one of Trips' best, in my opinion.

Just when HHH goes berzerk and thinks he's finally laid out Ric, and Ric just staggers back to his feet. I remember a particular shot where the camera just zoomed right in to a close-up of HHH's face, and it's basically ":stonk:" as Ric keeps getting up like a loving Terminator.

Oh, and a warning: It's UP THERE on the Muta Scale.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 24, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

Was WH2K/PSP around back in 2004? I'm just trying to imagine the climate of the gameday thread for the Wrestlemania 20 main event. The sense of utter disbelief at that final shot must've been palpable.

Here you go:

Wrestlemania 20 Predictions/Discussion Thread

Taboo Tuesday in 2005, it's one of the best modern Ric Flair matches, absolutely loving outstanding match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Minidust posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=956385

if you have archives there's the thread. Was in regular sports forum back then. Think psp came around 2006ish