Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

404GoonNotFound posted:

The Mark Henry "not medically cleared to compete" moment from DB's attempted cash-in kinda deflates this one.

And didn't that end up getting contradicted right after that when Bryan cashed in on an unconscious Big Show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I thought the deal with the Henry non-cash-in was that Henry was injured in a match previous to the show with the cash-in, while Big Show had just been KO'd in an angle/match ending minutes prior, so no such declaration could have been made.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Instead of all that, make the rules simple: The first person to use The big Show as a human club wins.

I have learned a bunch of neat stuff:

1)What no-selling, selling and overselling is. That last thing is impossible. :colbert:

2)Japanese wrestling seems like it's what wrestling here in America should be right the gently caress now.

3)How hilarious/entertaining wrestling is. gently caress this 'I'm too grown up for this stuff' give me wrestling mans please.

Also: What's a 'jobber'? Just a schmuck they bring in on a one-time thing?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Someone who loses a lot, their job is to lose in a way that makes the guy they're losing to look like a million bucks.

Think Zack Ryder or Heath Slater.

Other related vocab, JTTS (jobber to the stars), a guy like Jericho who beats other jobbers but jobs to main event and guys they're trying to build up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Instead of all that, make the rules simple: The first person to use The big Show as a human club wins.

1)What no-selling, selling and overselling is. That last thing is impossible. :colbert:

2)Japanese wrestling seems like it's what wrestling here in America should be right the gently caress now.

3)How hilarious/entertaining wrestling is. gently caress this 'I'm too grown up for this stuff' give me wrestling mans please.

This is overselling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC6jPR4OyUw

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

That's the perfect amount of selling + amazing just like anything else that makes Hogan look like a joke.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Yuriy posted:

Someone who loses a lot, their job is to lose in a way that makes the guy they're losing to look like a million bucks.

Think Zack Ryder or Heath Slater.

Other related vocab, JTTS (jobber to the stars), a guy like Jericho who beats other jobbers but jobs to main event and guys they're trying to build up.

Ahh okay, that makes sense.

That is entertaining as all hell, I say.

Yuriy posted:

That's the perfect amount of selling + amazing just like anything else that makes Hogan look like a joke.

This. :colbert:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Yep. Over the top selling or not, that was the best match Hogan had had since WM 18. And if you don't count that match, it was his best match in like 10-13 years.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bash Ironfist posted:

#3 is such the right attitude to have. People who take wrestling seriously are doing it wrong.

Also, don't think anyone explained the terminology where "doing a job" means to lose, and "going over" means to win; this is different to "getting over" which means being popular.

Glossary of professional wrestling terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a pretty great resource for learning what industry terms mean.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Michael McGillicuty. People here call him SHAH, right? How did he get that nickname?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Liar Lyre posted:

Michael McGillicuty. People here call him SHAH, right? How did he get that nickname?

He yells SHAH when he punches.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Bard Maddox posted:

And the Full Sail crowd loving loves it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A shameless cash in on Argo's Oscar buzz.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Paulocaust posted:

Are we really going to bitch over an extra 6man ladder match?

I will when the end result is to book the winner of said match in such a way that the company feels he can lose as many matches as they want because he'll just win the belt anyway.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Bard Maddox posted:

Thought so, just haven't noticed it. I'll have to look out for it next time I see him.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

HulkaMatt posted:

I will when the end result is to book the winner of said match in such a way that the company feels he can lose as many matches as they want because he'll just win the belt anyway.
The briefcase worked really well for RVD, who could have just earned a titleshot normally and Edge, which the briefcase defined his attitude and gimmick for quite a while (The ultimate opportunist).

CM Punk's cash-in the first time was great because almost everyone was waiting for it to happen, and the second one was alright because it lead to a great CM Punk heel turn/Hardy feud.

Nothing after that has really done it for me. The WWE title is worth too much for a nobody to win a briefcase, and the World Title is so devalued at this point it might as well be the TV Title or European title circa 1999. I take that back actually, there were compelling feuds over those titles. I don't enjoy watching someone lose for 6 months and then suddenly win the title without any build-up, there's not much drama too it. Especially when everyone's auto-turned into chickenshit heels.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A WWE featuring nothing but heels would be a fascinating thing to watch.

Heel announcers, heel wrestlers, heel referees, heel backstage interviwers, heel ring construction employees, heel doctors, heel truck monkeys, etc;etc.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Gonz posted:

Heel announcers, heel wrestlers, heel referees, heel backstage interviwers, heel ring construction employees, heel doctors, heel truck monkeys, etc;etc.

At least then WWE wouldn't be telling us who to cheer for.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Of course they would: John Cena.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Xerzes posted:

Of course they would: John Cena.

When the biggest face is dropping poop from the ceiling onto his ex-girlfriend, everybody's a heel.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I honestly don't care much about mitb anymore, but I think they could just as easily do a 6 man ladder match for the US title. There are plenty of good workers to fill that out and it's better than Cesaro losing to Kofi for his millionth meaningless title reign.

I hate Kofi, he's sloppy and not that good, he just jumps high so this may influence my thoughts.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When was the last time a tag team either replaced a member, or broke up and one guy got a different partner for a "new" team?

I remember the latter happening several times way back, like the New Foundation (Owen/Anvil) and the New Rockers (Jannetty/Snow), and I remember the former happening to Demolition when Ax got older and Smash/Crush became the new ring team, but I can't remember it happening more recently.

The only recent example I can think of is Legacy, but they were a stable. What got me thinking of this was the idea of Dibiase reforming Legacy or Priceless as a tag team with McGillicutty instead.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

All you need to know is that Sting apparently likes changing his look to reflect trends that are at least two or three years past their point of original popularity.
Sting takes on the guise of any actor who dies in the wake of a popular film wherein said actor wears a lot of facepaint.

Brandon Lee and Heath Ledger power Sting.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

When was the last time a tag team either replaced a member, or broke up and one guy got a different partner for a "new" team?

I remember the latter happening several times way back, like the New Foundation (Owen/Anvil) and the New Rockers (Jannetty/Snow), and I remember the former happening to Demolition when Ax got older and Smash/Crush became the new ring team, but I can't remember it happening more recently.

The only recent example I can think of is Legacy, but they were a stable. What got me thinking of this was the idea of Dibiase reforming Legacy or Priceless as a tag team with McGillicutty instead.

Animal & Heidenreich is the only one I can think of, you mean a new team that's similar to the old one right?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Marty Jannetty and Al Snow briefly teamed up as the New Rockers in 1996.

The Rock & Roll Express and the Midnight Express have both gone through a few other configurations in addition to the most famous ones.

EDIT: Eh never mind, I didn't read the question correctly. It was fairly common with iconic teams 20+ years ago but I can't think of any recent examples either other than the short lived Animal + Heidenreich LOD either. Promotions now are much more likely to just give a guy a new partner when necessary but not continue the old team's name/gimmick. Two examples last year that immediately come to mind were when BJ Whitmer replaced Kenny King as Rhett Titus's partner in ROH they were never billed as the All Night Xpress, and in NJPW when Rocky Romero and Alex Koslov formed the Forever Hooligans after Davey Richards left breaking up the NRC.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 27, 2013

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

sticklefifer posted:

Would Rick Steiner count for 1998? Not exactly the last time, but it's one I remember that hasn't been mentioned. What about Harlem Heat 2000?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

sticklefifer posted:

Does Jericho replacing Edge with Big Show count?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rather famously way back in the day, Ole Anderson replaced Thunderbolt Patterson (while they were tag champs!) with his cousin from Minnesota....Arn.

More recently, they later did a similar angle with Cody Rhodes while he was tag champs with Bob Holly. Ted Dibiase challenged them and had a mystery partner, and the partner turned out to be Cody himself. They beat the crap out of Bob, pinned him, and Priceless were the new tag champs.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 27, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

...that doesn't make sense on so many levels. If Cody was officially on both teams, couldn't he have pinned himself? And then who would be the champs? :psyduck:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

...that doesn't make sense on so many levels. If Cody was officially on both teams, couldn't he have pinned himself? And then who would be the champs? :psyduck:

By eating the pin but also getting it Cody would have forced a draw and no title change would have occurred just as if 2 separate competitors had simultaneously pinned each other. The WWE thinks of everything.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

They actually explained the "cody on both sides" thing in one of the WWE magazines at the time and it stuck in my mind because it made Holly out to look like the biggest idiot. Holly signed the contract for the match without looking at it thus not realising that he was booked in a handicap match for the tag titles.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Skinty McEdger posted:

They actually explained the "cody on both sides" thing in one of the WWE magazines at the time and it stuck in my mind because it made Holly out to look like the biggest idiot. Holly signed the contract for the match without looking at it thus not realising that he was booked in a handicap match for the tag titles.

This is a thing that Bob Holly would do, yes.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Rarity posted:

This is a thing that Bob Holly would do, yes.

They could have told him the mystery partner was Cody and Bobcore still would jump at the chance to take his jobber frustrations out.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

This is pretty much how I would describe the Attitude Era.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bard Maddox posted:

I choose to think its his homage to Hack Meyers.

cool-haired luke
May 13, 2012

by T. Finninho

Gonz posted:

nwo souled out. it was poo poo

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Alright, I've seen this used, but I don't know what people mean when they talk about Kane 'corpsing.' What is it?

edit: Vvv thanks!

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 28, 2013

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Corpsing is when someone 'breaks character' during a promo or segment, usually by laughing. Like if Kane's supposed to be stoic in a backstage segment with Bryan, but Bryan starts doing goofy things to the point of making Kane laugh, Kane would be corpsing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

More specifically, it was named for when actors were supposed to be playing dead, but couldn't maintain a straight face and started giggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is a documentary on the Extra dvd all about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiRrEDraHqY