Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Here's an odd one.

I swear I remember WrestleMania V having the wrestlers come out through these glass or otherwise clear plastic tunnels because of all the fireworks and spark showers during their entrances. However, I believe I checked on this a few years ago and was proven wrong. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AtomicDrop posted:

In the case of Owen's fall, Jim Ross said something along the lines of "this is not part of the show", and that was back in 99 when kayfabe still mattered a little more than today.

So I'm guessing if something really serious happened that's how they would get it across.

I'm sorry, I know I'll get a few people disagreeing here, but Vince McMahon is still a horrendous piece of poo poo for continuing the show after someone died in the ring. There's a difference between "send the fans home happy when someone is injured/doesn't show up" and "send the fans home happy when someone was killed because of gross negligence."

EDIT: Also, I was just watching the pre-1999 Royal Rumble interviews and something struck me as really funny and sad. Apparently, in order to better endear themselves to the hip culture at the time, almost every wrestler got themselves face piercings, especially eyebrows. Watching the entire show, this wasn't just for the interviews, these guys (Road Dogg, Undertaker, etc) actually went out and wrestled with all this poo poo in their faces. Now that I think about it, this isn't an actual question, just an observation on how desperate wrestling is sometimes at keeping up with what's "cool".

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at Jan 29, 2012 around 20:45

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I used to work at a food packing plant. I remember the time i was sent back to work shortly after the drunk Polish guy driving a forklift ran over and severed the foot of the Puerto Rican guy behind him. We just went on with our day.

Not sure what my point is, I'm sorry.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Burt Buckle posted:

Did they put his foot back on?

No, his foot was severed from the arch down.

Two years later, the woman I was assistant manager to was killed.

Huffington Post - Vodka Sauce Death: Yolanda Gonzalez, Packing Plant Worker, Killed By Falling Bottles Of Vodka Sauce

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2015 around 22:53

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wtf? You must have two Co-workers here because that story was posted twice in the strange ways someone you know has died thread in gbs.

My friend, who also worked at the same place, has an SA account as well. So I'm assuming we both found "killed by a falling pallet of vodka sauce" strange enough to post in that thread.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Has anyone ever asked Sting, or has he himself ever addressed, the fact that he's now outright stolen two of his biggest gimmicks from two hugely popular movies where the actors died prematurely? I'm not saying Brandon Lee and Heath Ledger's deaths have anything to do with it, just a coincidence, but I think in both cases it's gone way past a wink and a nod or a parody and it's just actual theft. Especially the recent Joker Sting, where even the plot of 'Dark Knight' was lifted in order for him to do the whole "corrupt Hulk Hogan" storyline, is particularly blatant. And Sting is just awful at it anyway.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has anyone ever asked Sting, or has he himself ever addressed, the fact that he's now outright stolen two of his biggest gimmicks from two hugely popular movies where the actors died prematurely? I'm not saying Brandon Lee and Heath Ledger's deaths have anything to do with it, just a coincidence, but I think in both cases it's gone way past a wink and a nod or a parody and it's just actual theft. Especially the recent Joker Sting, where even the plot of 'Dark Knight' was lifted in order for him to do the whole "corrupt Hulk Hogan" storyline, is particularly blatant. And Sting is just awful at it anyway.

Nobody? Really?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lone Rogue posted:

...were for the most part the drizzling shits.

Is this the standard way to describe a terrible match and/or wrestler now? I keep seeing the phrase "drizzling shits" every other page in this thread.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shiki Dan posted:

The best part is that Hogan's hips are basically so gone that he was most likely in some serious pain from that.

Fixed that for you.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Timby posted:

More specifically, Orton became a wrestler because his Marine tenure ended with a bad conduct discharge, which is only a step away from a dishonorable discharge, and any punitive discharge from the military is looked upon as the equivalent to a felony conviction by many employers. After he got bounced from the Marine Corps, he basically had nowhere else to go, and at least in pro wrestling, he could trade in on his Dad's name.

Lone Rogue posted:

What did he do, again?

If I'm not mistaken, it was due to going AWOL twice. It's been brought up in entertainment news recently due to the fact that WWE was forced to pull Orton out of 'the Marine 3'. The US Marines realized the latest "star" of the franchise was someone who had gotten a bad conduct discharge and understandably flipped out.

TMZ - US Marines "Props to WWE for Firing Randy Orton"

EDIT: Beaten somewhat, but I hadn't seen anyone mention the Marines basically forcing Vince to yank Orton from the movie.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at Apr 16, 2012 around 20:20

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

Then he should hit on kids in the front row...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I've been watching some old episodes of Saved by the Bell lately and I swear New Foundation theme is one of the generic songs they'd use in the background at the diner.

poo poo, not really a question...

Has anything ever been said by Triple H or Hogan about Backlash 2002 where the former dropped the belt to the latter? I never quite understood why Hunter ever agreed to lose, he had to have known Hogan would never let him get that win back.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lone Rogue posted:

Hogan was smart. He knew nobody would remember the Smackdown loss.

Exactly what I was about to post. And it wasn't for the belt, either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Paging Vader, Big Van.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I'm not exactly sure why you're apologizing.

Or what that is.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Are the rings smaller at house shows or is it just a perspective thing because of the different lighting and the amateur photography/videography?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Perigryn posted:

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant to ask if WWE rings were smaller at their house shows, as every picture or video I've seen from one makes it look at least 3/4 the size it looks on TV.

Also, how the gently caress are you supposed to pronounce the name of Jeff Hardy's band? Has he ever said it out loud? Granted, I'm not looking for the stupid technicolor meth head jackass to make sense, just curious.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget that when Louie Spicolli died and Larry Zbyszko stayed in character and he says that he and Spicolli had some issues, but that out of respect for his family he'd let it rest. Also whne Gorillia doed Bobby had to fight so he could mention it on air.

Wasn't the doctor who prescribed the hundreds of Somas that led to Spicolli's overdose still invited to fill out more prescriptions at that Nitro?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I'd be afraid of using any of the cutlery in that place.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

achillesforever6 posted:

I got to imagine that Eddie is proud at how much heat his wife gets in the big ring in the sky before having another bout with Chris.

I bet Nancy and Daniel are cheering them on in the crowd!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Writer Cath posted:

They love Candido.

Who better than Kanyon?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TheCool69 posted:

Still thinking about Vickys heat, its pretty amazing… got me thinking who/what has had the most insane nuclear heat in wwe? Shawn trolling Canada with Brett entrance? Angle making GBS threads on MSG before Tazz debut?

"for one night, i've decided to be your champion" … glorious!

CM Punk coming out dressed like Jeff Hardy and getting everything from the outfit to the face paint to the goofy dances 100% accurate. It was even better because it wasn't until he opened his mouth and started wiping his face that the crowd realized what was going on. I seem to remember a few shots of kids crying in the video.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Also, I doubt Vince is going to want episodes of Raw that have Jeff Hardy or Kurt Angle or anyone else in TNA in the main event and/or with one of the world titles.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jerusalem posted:

From what I understand, Vince wants it to happen so it WILL happen. However, Vince also doesn't want to be pinned down on any actual specifics on how it will be run, what will be on it and how it will be structured, and they can't move forward until he does.

The whole reason the Network was announced in the first place was so Vince could get a jump on the rumored UFC network that ended up being a deal with Fox. He literally just stood in front of a bunch of people and said "We're starting the WWE Network and the date is WrestleMania weekend!" and then went about trying to put together an entire cable channel in six months with no experience or plan or connections or loving anything. Now he doesn't want to look like a jackass (too late) so he's forced to say a few words about it at every press conference or stockholder meeting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Perigryn posted:

It already is. TNA is literally a theme park sideshow.

Speaking of which, I know a wrestling fan who used to work with my wife that moved down to Florida and now works at the Universal Studios theme park. Something like 50% of the TNA audience at Impact tapings is Universal employees that get in free.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

El Duke posted:

everyone gets in free. The only thing employees would save on is parking.

Wait, everyone? TNA makes nothing off the gate? That's insane.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Grandpa Pap posted:

Yep, everyone gets in free and TNA makes zero money off of admission to shows held at the Impact Zone. Even "big" TNA events like PPVs held there are freely available to be watched by anyone that happens to walk in off the street (you can even reserve seats at or near ringside if you send an email a week in advance, I believe).

On a related note: according to Meltzer, Slammiversary is the last TNA show that will be held on the road (in Texas). All other TNA TV (whether a TV taping, or PPV) will be held at the free admission Impact Zone, for the rest of the year.

So TNA only makes money from advertisers, merchandise and PPV buys? Wonderful business model, especially considering I don't think I've ever seen someone in a TNA shirt. Can't say I'm surprised, though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I love wrestlers in the late 90s wearing sunglasses indoors. Not a question, but Hogan looks ridiculous with those white-framed plastic sunglasses coming out for an interview.

It's along the lines of all the wrestlers in 1999 or so getting facial piercings. Look at the pre-show interviews of Royal Rumble '99 and see how many of them have lip piercings, eyebrow piercings, etc. Now think of how absurd it is for guys to get a bunch of facial piercings when a big part of their job is getting hit in the face. It's always funny to me how hard pro wrestling tries to be "with it" and "hip".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Holy poo poo, I had never seen that until now. Is it possible it was just a big rib or something? I can't imagine anyone thinking it was a good idea to have 75% of David's entrance video be shots of Ric Flair looking disappointed and/or getting the poo poo beaten out of him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ColeM posted:

Has there ever been a shoot about Trish Stratus and if so, what was said about her? Besides the hate she received for Wrestlemania 27.

Lone Rogue posted:

About her? Whenever I've heard her mentioned it has always been positive but I don't recall specifics. She has never been put in a Hoe Bag from what I recall.

She received hate for that? I thought all the hate was for Melina with some left over for Morrison because the two decided to treat Trish like poo poo instead of one of the greatest women's wrestlers ever coming back for a Wrestlemania match.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Didn't this Triple H/Mike Sanders/handshake/Raven/crutches thing go on for like seventeen pages about a year ago?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Frot Lesnar posted:

For real. If you have archives this forum is an ouroboros.

I liked your old username better.

And I understand what you're saying, but this particular story seemed especially absurd because it was pages and pages of people posting "Now see, what I heard was..." and others responding with "Well, that version makes Triple H/Mike Sanders/Raven/Bob Backlund/Steve Lombardi/Villano V look even worse because..."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

LividLiquid posted:

What's really funny is if he didn't get rid of it, he'd have a better chance promoting other stuff. Titan Films sounds a lot better than WWE films and has less poison connected with it.

Same with Titan Sports promoting the XFL instead of WWE.

Oh, who am I kidding? There is no plane of reality where the XFL would've flourished.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gar posted:

...which speaks volumes of how in touch with pop culture Vince is.

My favorite is still Vince never getting behind Paul Burchill's pirate gimmick because, well if he hadn't heard of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' then certainly nobody else had heard of it either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRayPer posted:

Vince wanted that gimmick because he had just seen Pirates. However he wanted it to look like a more traditional cartoony pirate or something, not like the character from Pirates.

Sorry, I swear I had read that the reason Burchill never really got pushed is Vince hadn't yet seen the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movies and, as usual, assumed nobody else had either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

thesteelhellion posted:

Could've been. It was years ago. Wonder how his career would have ended up if he kept putting his heart into it like he did that early on.

I agree. Any interviews I've seen with Goldberg, he seems like a nice down-to-earth guy who's very appreciative of everything he's been involved with. And when it comes to the whole "you don't need to learn/work so hard" deal, he seemed to do whatever he was told with little complaint because he felt "these guys have been doing this all their lives, they know better" There's even an interview somewhere about Nash booking himself to end the streak and Goldberg says "So was it time for the streak to end? Well, that's not my decision"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BAN DICKEYE posted:

What's even funnier is they briefly considered having Mongo go over Goldberg at Starrcade in 97.

Never mind that poo poo...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Basically they just need to do everything Scott Steiner says.

You know, I never thought I'd see that sentence.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Here's something I've been wondering about for a while...

A few years ago, during one of the many overhauls of the WWE site, they decided to completely drop kayfabe and start reporting not only on WWE backstage news, but also other feds as well. Like TNA hiring someone new or Ring of Honor starting a tournament. I'm assuming they were trying to keep people from checking out sites like Observer, Bleacher Report, Cageside Seats, etc by providing them with all that insider information right now their own site. Does anyone else remember this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

nasboat posted:

yeah, I can get behind this. We're suffering from a lack of the term "yak" in wrestling nowadays.

As well as "fruit booty"

«20 »