Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who the gently caress was Horace Hogan anyway? I see he even used the old Boulder surname that Terry and the Beefer had in the late 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why were so many people convinced that Joey Styles was the greatest wrestling commentator of all time? Was it the the fact that he worked alone? Or the constant goofy "OH MY GOD!"s?

He always seemed like a twerp, an absolute pecker.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Joey Styles felt very, very different in an era dominated by announcers who often acted like they'd rather talk about anything except the match happening in front of them. Like, my main recollection of WWF announcing from this time was Lawler screeching PUPPIES over and over until I wanted to die.

Oh, trust me, I know he's still better than that disgusting piece of poo poo Lawler, I just never got the appeal of Styles. He sounded more like an overexcited sixteen year old calling the match, just without the misogyny and homophobia.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
By the way, isn't it loving weird that Lawler was hired right after the Ring Boy Scandal died down? Didn't he already have at least one allegation against him at the time?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

forkboy84 posted:

Oh god no, there was plenty of misogyny and homophobia with Joey Styles, it was just acceptable in the 90s

(Also would say that if you've ever watched early Eastern Championship Wrestling, where Stevie Wonderful was doing colour, Styles was a huge improvement)

Yeah, I should have said that it was less than expected, not totally without.

And I recently rewatched some of the first episodes of Raw with the team of Vince, Savage, and Rob loving Bartlett, so most things are an improvement.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn't most wrestling a one-count, professional wrestling being the only version that requires a three?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know it's apparently sacrilegious, but Gorilla was loving terrible next to anyone other than the Body and the Brain. Check out his commentary for Summerslam '88 where he spends three hours trying to get "It's a happening!" over as a catchphrase.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the other person at the desk for that one was Billy Graham.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 15, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Bret/Lawler feud that started at the ‘93 King of the Ring lasted two loving years?

Why?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You forgot about fifteen gimmicks, no exaggeration.

And he did get his face broken, which led to that moment on Raw where he was pouring his heart out about being told he may never wrestler again and someone in the crowd screams "KILL YOURSELF!!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not a question, but I just realized while watching an OSW episode that the lyrics to Jesse & Festus theme are "Biscuits and gravy, made me a man" and not "Biscuits and gravy, maybe a man"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How did WCW explain Kevin Sullivan of all people being Hogan's greatest nemesis for two years? As far as I know, they never encountered one another in WWF, so how did they sell this guy being the one that could end Hulkamania and had the ability to convince something like twenty other people to help him?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, who the gently caress was that fat old man covered in dried mud? He was the one that needed Hulkamania to die?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

King Curtis Iaukea!

Prince Iaukea's dad?

And I love that, by Uncensored '96, the Dungeon of Doom and the Horsemen had to team up as the Alliance to End Hulkamania and still couldn't defeat him.

EDIT:

Davros1 posted:

"King" Curtis Iaukea. Former WWF Tag Team champ, and later had a brief run as a manager called "The Wizard", because his character was supposed to be a disciple of the late Grand Wizard.

Considered by some to be, at his prime, one of the best promos in wrestling.

Ummm...what?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
EDIT: Nevermind, the poster above gave much better context. I thought the dude was pulling that "I was being ironically racist!" poo poo.

Also, I love how quickly Hogan forgets and/or decides he doesn't give a poo poo about the rules of that Doomsday Cage match. At one point he skips the bottom tier completely to brawl in the regular ring, and when the end of the match arrives, Savage has to rush to pin someone because Hogan was literally just leaving as though that was the finish. And then "American Made" plays despite Macho getting the pin.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 20, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
gently caress Larry Zbyszko, he cheats at Scrabble.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So is there any reason why Vince waited until after Jarrett was apparently in pretty rough shape before finally bringing him in after almost two decades? Gold pyramid scheme, alcoholism, the semi-racist display at Triplemania, etc.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So was Jim Duggan just supposed to be an overgrown mentally challenged child?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't seem to find the clip from early 90s WWF where Duggan is trying to say the word "supposed" during an interview and instead just starts stuttering and screaming.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve always loved JR’s call during the TLC match at WrestleMania X7

“Lita is jerking Edge off!

...that ladder!”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So while I wasn't watching wrestling for a while, I was under the impression that Matt Cappotelli and Matt Striker were the same person, and I couldn't understand why they would put a guy with a brain tumor on commentary, but it certainly explained the things he was saying.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did Hogan always cut three horizontal holes into the back of his shirts?

And why did it always look like he was wearing a filled yellow diaper before he switched to pants?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Mean Gene somehow own the rights to certain aspects of his performance when he went from WWF to WCW?
I’m specifically referring to the “podium in the crowd” interviews that WWF completely stopped and WCW started with when Okerlund jumped.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And now Jarrett’s on the creative team...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
James Storm vs Chris Harris in a Blindfold Match at Lockdown 2007

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wonder if Ambrose got plugs while he was out and that's why he's able to keep his hair short now, because he was doing the "comb it forward to hide the receding hairline" for years.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Also remember that the "World title" that was gifted to Triple H still had the NWA/WCW lineage right up until he lost the belt to Benoit. From that point on the lineage started with Triple H.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Procrastinator posted:

I occasionally see people calling out wrestlers for being very good at the 2.9 (in particular AJ Styles, and I can't remember any other names off the top of my head). Just saw a really great roll-up 2.9 that made me think about the opposite: are there any wrestlers that were or are notably BAD at 2.9s? Like, always too early and/or never actually doing them.

Hogan would have his hands up to throw someone off as soon as he was covered, he always looked ready to kick out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dirty Dick Slater

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, regarding the Kofi Kingston storyline headed into WrestleMania:

I could swear I read that the gauntlet match push was originally supposed to go to Mustafa Ali, and Kofi replaced him due to injury. So I’m wondering how much of this storyline was Ali’s before plans had to change. Make sense?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Watching Mick Foley as a guest referee was always sort of sad because he just couldn't drop to the mat or slide around quickly enough for counting pins and checking submissions and poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Davros1 posted:

Rugged Ronnie Garvin was the best ref.

This person knows what the gently caress is up.

Great ring announcer, too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Rellik’s mask always looked like a constipated demon just started making GBS threads fire and brimstone.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Shark Boy should've used "Fins" at some point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't he just go on a transphobic, misogynistic rant recently?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never said it would disqualify him, I just asked if that's indeed a thing that happened.

Trust me, I understand how vile it is that WWE is patting themselves on the back about giving Kofi the belt while Hulk Hogan opened the loving show.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Warrior made a second career out of this and it didn't hurt him.

Once again, I was only asking, I didn't say it would disqualify him. I know there are plenty of assholes in the Hall of Fame, including a murderer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ah yes, now I remember. And thank you for actually answering the question.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I also really enjoyed his run as Commissioner in ‘97-‘98

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

remusclaw posted:

So here's a question for you. This is not about realism in wrestling, so much as stuff you dont like in wrestling.

What part of wrestling would you change or get rid for the sake of enjoying it more?

Stop introducing weapons that are obviously never going to be used, or at least used correctly. Everyone mentions Triple H's sledgehammer, but you also have poo poo like Abyss's baseball bat full of nails, that time Flair ran into the ring with a hatchet in WCW, loving Robocop, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

It's very possible that Tank Abbott would have used that knife.

Only to cut Al's beard