Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Were the hardcore matches done by the old ECW ever as violent as CZW and their Tournament of Death?

And do we really need to start a new thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

quote:

Quote #39

"Hogan did the first huricanrana of his career" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 15, 2000

This I need to see.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Lucania posted:

Yes, Survivor Series 1991 - around 11:25. He was up within 2 seconds.

Did'nt Hogan eventualy lose that match though thanks to interference from Flair?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Axissillian posted:

I just fail to see why Owen would get inducted despite his death when the only reason to get inducted is his death.

He never main-evented, he never drew, never held the world title, his only memorable matches were against Bret, and by that point in his career he was a comedy buffoon and not likely to improve.

If he hadn't Foley'd from the rafters in 1999 his career accomplishments would have been: famous brother, some good matches, the white guy in NOD.

The WWE should still do somthing to honor him. Him, Crash Holly, and any talent that worked for the WWE and died.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 7, 2009

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Speaking of the Undertaker, What was he like before he was the Undertaker?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViNwvQAxeUc

His WCW debut. Note who introduces him.

Holy poo poo!

No wonder the Undertaker is Long's go to guy for punishing wrestlers.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

TL posted:

So who's seen a Hell in a Cell match live before? I'm going to the show on Sunday, and I'm up in the nosebleeds. How's the view from the upper deck for these things? I'm a bit worried about visibility being so high up.

I have. (Randy Orton VS Undertaker) I was a few rows up from the floor seats. If they left the ring, I could see nothing.

From a nosebleed seat, the view is not THAT bad. you should still be able to see.

The one place you dont want to be at a WWE event are the floor seats.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 1, 2009

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Is it even true that Cena's promos are heavly scripted because the WWE got fined by the FCC during one of his raps?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Hogan's Meat Shoes was a ridiculous post in GBS about a guy thinking Hogan sponsored shoe's that had little compartment in them that you could store pieces of meat in and when you walked the sweat and warmth from your feet would warm them up.

Fart Juice is a word Cena used in a promo once.

Holy poo poo, I wish I had a archives account

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Yes, he is. But if it's just an urban legend, then it should be stopped. Does anyone in the wrestling industry badmouth Lance Storm?

I did hear about how he was advertised for an indy show in canada, his secduled oppenet could not go on for some reason so Storm just decided to go home without wrestling.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Did John Cena have any wrestling experience before going into the WWE and OVW?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Besides the WWE and the NWA, are there any of the old territory promotions still in bussiness today in one form or another?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Timby posted:

Because Chikara is basically wrestling's biggest inside joke. If you take an average fan who watches Raw and a little TNA, and show him a program with wrestlers named Player Uno and Player Dos and El Hijo del Ice Cream, and Dave Coulier running the show, the general reaction is going to be, "What in loving hell is this?"

I think it could work if its marketed more towards kids and its given a more comic book presentation, which it kind of is. Give it a cartonish polish, push the fact that it is the true family frendly choice in Pro Wrestling today. And if the inring product is still the quality it is now, you still get the hardcore wrestling fans.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 5, 2010

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Whats the difference bewteen a Hurricanrana and a Frankenstiner?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

He signed with them in June 2006 as the on screen authority figure and was let go in September of 2009.

Late in 2008 he became an agent as well and had some creative input. He was said to get abit more input last summer after Jarrett was fired just because they were low on backstage personel, and Impact made a bit more sense than usual.

He was fired because he's a friend of the Jarretts and Dixie made the call to eliminate all of Jeff's friends after she found out he was dating Karen Angle, since Dixie apparently believes women are property of the first man they marry. Supposedly she's mad because he lied, but in reality it was to appease Angle who threatened to quit if Jeff wasn't sent home.

So Dutch Mantel was fired, Cornette was fired and Don West was taken off his announcing position sooner than planned because they were friends of Jeff.

As for the quality of the product before Hogan compared to now... There were some really loving stupid TV shows when Russo got full control and PPV quality improved during the lame duck period... The last PPV got very mixed reviews, and the spoilers for TV look really dumb, so it looks like TNA is the same as ever.

This pretty much explains why TNA is hosed, is'nt? And I thounhg Cornette said he left because he was not going to work with Russo.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Nah. A lot of tracks like "Rockhouse", the nWo theme, still cost money to use. Sting used a Metallica song. Hogan used Voodoo Child. These are all replaced with dumb poo poo on DVDs.

Who owns the nWo theme?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

Why does WWE hate us?

WWE Loves us, its just that we make them hit us.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

dusty udder smoker posted:

according to steamboat it was some bs over slim jim commercial royalties

THats what i heard too. I think it was that Vince felt because Macho was a WWE employee, Vince should get some of the money from thoes commercials.

Actucaly that leads to two questions

1: Has WWE Talent being classified as Independent contractors always been the norm?

2: How long was Macho the spokesman for SlimJims?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What is Paul Heyman doing these days?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

George Kaplan posted:

I vaguely remember Christopher Daniels appearing in one of the first giant clusterfuck matches they had when they brought in the Light Heavyweight title. Is there any reason he's never been tapped for OVW? Or AJ Styles, for that matter? He seems pretty decent and reliable, and I don't imagine the TNA paycheck is keeping them there.

I know AJ always said he was afraid of going to the WWE and being used horribly. I guess he does not want to be the next Nick Dismore.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Yeah, but the idea behind that was the Mankind character had mutilated his fingers with a hammer because his mother made him practice piano all the time, since he was a prodigy. It was combined with the claw, but there was a storyline behind it. Man, the gimmick was loving Russo when it started.

Yeah, but Mankind could be an example of Russo coming up with a good idea...

Wait, what am I saying? :confused:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Mankind was not a Russo creation.

Ohh. Nevermind.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Happy Happyist posted:

INDY?!?! YEAAARRRRRRRGH!!!!

It's true though. I don't get why Quack doesn't wear tights instead of LOOSE FLOWING LIGHTNING PANTS.

I guess for some guys, it’s easier to move around in garbage bag pants then tights.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

It's weird question because you're not talking about ROH anymore, you're making the product unrecognizable and more like TNA without Russo (good) and Dixie bad). If you bring in recognizable TNA stars that means pretty much the entire roster, so you dump at least 90% of ROH. If you lose the TNA name you lose at least some brand awareness. If you're on Spike then you're going to wind up filming in Universal like TNA does because your touring shows looks bad on TV (the HDNet production would never fly on Spike, especially against WWE).

At the end of the day, for better or worse, you are not talking about the ROH product anymore. Now, if you ask "What if you took TNA and brought in ROH elements?" that's a bit easier to address. You bring in Cornette as head booker, emphasis on athletic stars, and a more serious product. You have limited comedy segments with specific players, like Colt Cabana, but keep it away from the main event. All this basically comes down to is a change in management though: TNA with ROH's Cornette as head booker. You have a better show, and I'd keep Russo to start and see how he fares. By having a better show you can actually get people to watch. By having better management you can either give up on monthly PPVs or focus on building programs that sell PPVs. You don't ever beat WWE but you build a strong minor league, like the AHL is to the NHL. It has a fanbase, it makes money, it has TV, but it isn't going to be #1.

You basically just described TNA when it first got onto Spike TV, minus Cornette as booker.

I know TNA Had a booking committee during thoes years before Russo's current run as booker. Any idea who was part of it? I know Jarret and Scott De'Morre were.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I must have missed WSX - I have no idea what that even stands for and have never heard of it other than a casual mention here.

Wrestling Soceity X- It aired for three weeks on MTV and was cancled. Im sure you could find the DVD for the whole show on Amazon. Its pretty good in an over the top action movie kind of way.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

How are Championship belts made? whats the process for putting one together?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I always wondered why the WWE nevert told the people at large about FCW. Its already produced for local TV, why not just put it up on WWE.com atleast.

FCW: The Superstars Of Tommrow!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I have been wondering. Does Japan or Mexcio have a guy who is an equivalent to Vince Russo?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Bret blames the WCW Power Plant for improperly training Goldberg.

Did anyone else note-worthy come out of the Power Plant?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Wow, for some reason I thought the Power Plant was just a money sink and produced no one.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I was giving my nephew a little bit of a history lesson on WCW and we got to Vince Russo. Can anyone suggest the "Best" Of Vince Russo's booking via 2000-2001 WCW that I should show him?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 25, 2010

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Definitely the last show of September 2000 and the first one of October. AKA: "The one where Vince Russo wins the title" and "The one with the San Francisco 49ers match"

Also, the New Blood Rising PPV is must-see as well.

Jerusalem did New Blood Rising on one of the Sunday threads right?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

CM Punk no-showed some Chikara events he was booked for, so Chikara had a guy in a chipmunk costume replace him.

I think that turned out to be Necro Butcher.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I was watching "Rise and Fall of WCW" With my nephew and when they started talking about who came up for the idea for the New World Order Chris Jericho (I Think) said Eric Bishoff got the idea from New Japan.

What was the Name of the New Japan group and what were its members?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The Jean Genie posted:

WCW and TNA did the same thing with Scott Hall and Rhyno respectively.

I dont remember the feud bewteen Rhyno and Jarret ever invoved Rhyno being exposed to alcohol though. They just mentioned he was a recovering alcohoholic to build up face sympathy.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Edwardian posted:

While not nearly as bad as the previous stuff listed the Piggie James angle was pretty offensive.

Its better then when they did that storyline bewteen Trish Stratus and Molly Holly where Holly was the "fat" one and the heel.

I honestly had no problem with the Piggy James thing, expecialy since it ended (Or at least was suppose to) the correct way.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

Also it's not really an angle, but on ECW once Shelton Benjamin was making a lot of racist statements about Tatsu, basically doing everything he could to get the crowd to boo him.

He got cheered.

Didn't the crowd immedetly start cheering Yoshi after he knocked Shelton out after one kick to the head?

It may be my favroite debut of a wrestler ever. Arrive, have oppenent say racist poo poo about you, knock him the gently caress out, leave.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

The video doesn't even show the best part. It falls a second time, and Petey Williams loving catches it, so the ref just calls the match. I'm assuming he was supposed to win, but it is TNA.

They changed the way the X was attached to the structure after that.

I think they did a rematch the next impact.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

This one might be stupid but what is one type of character, character archtype or gimmick that to the best of your knowlage has never been done in Pro Wrestling that you would like to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Well the one gimmick I would like some promotion, either CHIKARA or WWE try is a Peter Pan type character. (Surprise surprise given my avatar) But the more I think about this character the more I think that he would basically be Hornswoggle if he was average size, could talk, and could wrestle. It would have to be played but someone who can act and look very immature, and very childish. And maybe by someone with an insane spot monkey move set. You could also have him do heel moves and not understand why they are considered heel moves or have him attack his own partner at one point in a tag match.

But like I said, the more I think about this the more he would basically a normal sized hornswoggle.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 9, 2011