Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Who was it that when they entered JR would say "Business is about to pick up"?

I don't think it was really used for one specific person, was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My biggest problem with iron man matches is when falls come a lot faster than they normally would. A typical PPV main event is what? Like 15 minutes bare minimum? Then why might it take only 8-10 minutes for someone to get a fall in an iron man match?

This obviously doesn't apply to HBK/Bret.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Minidust posted:

Well first came the name change to "Badass" Billy Gunn, after the brief "Rockabilly" gimmick. IIRC, "Mr. rear end" was first uttered by Hawk in a promo during the New Age Outlaws/LOD feud. "Mister Dog! Mister rear end!" Later on the "Mr. rear end" was adopted as a more official gimmick name.

I don't know if it came before or after the LOD thing, but it also said "Mr. rear end" on the back of his tights for a long time before it became a more official gimmick name.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I had to acquit the Office thread about six months before acquitting the show itself.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Was Finlay actually rehired? I remember hearing he was a few months ago, but then hearing it wasn't true.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bearnt! posted:

It's Hogan by a long shot for least amount of clean losses, shocking! I might do this with Austin as well but this took way too long to put together.

You gotta keep in mind though that wrestling TV was much different in Hogan's heyday. He wrestled on TV a lot less than Cena or the Undertaker. According to ProfightDB, Cena and Taker each have over 200 more matches than Hogan, and Hogan's been wrestling much longer (especially compared to Cena). Doesn't totally account for the difference, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

You know his name is Jim Ross right

But he didn't wear a cowboy hat and use the nickname "JR" before he was in the WWF.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think he was also just "The Kidd" in his match against Razor.

And if I remember correctly, he was wearing tights that said "L. Kid", which would've been dumb even if he was using the "Lightning Kid" name.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

What did he get caught being a massive liar about this time?

Claiming again that he turned down the lead in The Wrestler.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'd call that a little bit overbooked.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

How did Flair's co-ownership get storyline resolved?

Didn't they just have a match on Raw to settle it with no build up whatsoever?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't have any experience with wrestling at big stadiums, but I've been to some Giants games there and those seats should definitely be high enough to see the ring ok. There are plenty of other things that could affect your visibility (like the set and any equipment) that I can't answer about though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

abraxas posted:

Wait when was Sid on Raw? What joke is completely flying over my head here?

Not a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTTiQ6K_kbE

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Annoyingly, Death of WCW isn't on kindle (and lord knows I've looked).

http://www.amazon.com/The-Death-WCW-WrestleCrap-ebook/dp/B001Q9EEMY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355951069&sr=8-2&keywords=the+death+of+wcw

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

THAT HiaC, he can't remember any of the match, or any of the treatment afterward.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. The way I remember hearing it is that he couldn't remember most of it in the days immediately following the match, but that it all came back to him over time. Obviously that's still pretty awful, but it doesn't really prove anything about the long-term effects of the match (which I'm sure are pretty loving bad anyway).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Nope, he legit can't remember it. He had to watch a video of it to write about it in his autobiography, and wasn't aware Terry Funk was even at the show until they talked a few days later.

I don't have a copy of Have a Nice Day nearby to check what it says, but this ESPN interview seems to confirm most of my recollection of what he said. He does say there's about 30 seconds that he doesn't remember (which is where Terry Funk got involved) but it's only a short portion of the match. Here's the relevant quote:

quote:

"I pieced back all of the match in my memory now except for about a 30-second period when I went through the cage and into the ring. There was a point where I saw a pair of sneakers in the ring and I had no idea how they had gotten there. So there were 30 or 40 seconds there that had gone by that I couldn't remember and I'm still not aware of. The day after I had very little recollection of what actually happened."

I'm sure the match was absolutely terrible for his long-term health either way, but he only claims to have had no memory of it for a relatively short period of time immediately afterward.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The way I see it, using the NWA titles gives your new promotion a certain amount of instant credibility, but once you grow to a certain level you have less and less need for the NWA's brand recognition (which is very limited these days anyway), and you won't want to have to answer to an outside organization anymore.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Frot Lesnar posted:

In Foley's book there is a wrestler in a battle royal who was playing to the crowd. A fan threw a box of popcorn and hit him in the back of the head. Thinking it was his opponent he eliminated himself and lost the battle royal.

In one of Foley's books he said that one time a wrestler was eliminated from a battle royal by some garbage that a fan threw in the ring that he thought was his opponent.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They only used entrance themes for the first two guys in the Rumble back then. The rest were added to that video by whoever uploaded it to YouTube. I don't think Tito ever actually used that music.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 12, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The infuriating thing about that period was that every week Orton would do something amazing and then Triple H would laugh it off or beat down Orton and Legacy like it wasn't anything, and completely deflate the whole thing. Then Orton would come out again the next week and ramp everything up and make it exciting again.... and Triple H would laugh it off or beat down Orton and Legacy like it wasn't anything.

I wasn't watching during this time period, but reading this I couldn't help but think it's an interesting contrast to the way he reacted to Foley becoming Cactus Jack (which bobkatt013 just happened to post while I was typing this). Foley completely credits Triple H's reaction with legitimizing Cactus as a more dangerous person than Mankind, but it sounds like he went in the exact opposite direction when dealing with Orton.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

It was just the layout, because the main door was below the stands, so they'd either have the most pathetically small stage in history, or videodoors.

They have used the full stage at MSG in the past. They just don't use that entrance across from the hard camera when they do.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

Number 14 stuff

It doesn't seem like there are many real tragedies in here. Most of the guys seemed to have pretty average WWF/WCW careers, and a handful died young. I'm betting you could get similar results from analyzing other numbers.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Also DDP is a goddamn saint doing what he is doing - helping Jake get tits.

Yeah, I really don't get why he started the "unfortunate years" with the year DDP had the spot. Yes, his WWE career didn't last long after this, but the dude was already 45 at the time and had been a main eventer during one of the hottest periods in the business. Not many wrestlers can say that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Except his question is why didn't Vader have to pay when Hulk Hogan did. For years Hogan had to pay out for the rights to the name until he bought the rights to Hulk Hogan outright in the last 10 years or so. It was leased prior to that, one of the commentaries was Vince or Turner had the money to just buy Marvel if they wanted but never did.

This also lead to the period (I think it was around 2005-2006) where all references to "Hulk Hogan" on wwe.com were changed to "Hollywood Hogan". So it was actually Hollywood Hogan who lifted the 400-ton Giant over his head and slammed him down to the canvas, presumably in front 10-million screaming Hollymaniacs.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Didn't Jimmy Hart appear on one of those big, legends-filled Raw episodes a few years ago while (or very shortly after) working for TNA? I don't really follow TNA, so I could be remembering wrong, but I thought that he'd been working for them without a contract and basically just immediately jumped ship once WWE called.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tato posted:

Owen Hart's "get hit with a kick, freeze in place, and then slowly teeter over" is kind of a hilarious oversell, but I always dug it. I can't tell if they gave that to everyone in WWF War Zone out of laziness or their animations were just that bad.

The animations in those games were pretty terrible. I played about five minutes of Attitude the other week, and the only part I really enjoyed was Stone Cold walking like a chimp in his entrance.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The American Dream posted:

Thq got a fan base going with the wcw games. All my non wrestling friends liked world tour and by the time revenge came out we all had n64s so we played that a ton when we got sick of goldeneye.

Agreed. World Tour was already better than any other wrestling game out there when it was released. People realized Aki/THQ were making great wrestling games before they got the WWF license. In fact I'd say that while Wrestlemania 2000 was better than Revenge, it was probably the smallest year to year increase in quality in that whole series.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I can forgive Vince for just about anything after finding out that he killed Dracula.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Monkeycheese posted:

What "powers" has the Undertaker demonstrated throughout his career?
Resistance to pain and overall durability, control over light and dark, some degree of teleportation, posessing josh matthews, powerbombing people "to hell", broadcasting himself onto the tron and levitating, making the urn smoke and/or shoot light... am I missing anything?

Shooting lightning.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

oldpainless posted:

HBK hit the stomping superkick a lot more before his return in 2002. I can only recall a few times since his return when he called for it and hit it and even then it was still kind of a psych-out like hitting it on Benoit when people thought he was gonna hit HHH.

I'm glad to hear someone say this because I was starting to think my memory must be faulty. I don't remember HBK missing after doing the stomp very often, but I've only seen a relatively small amount of his post-comeback work.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

So wrestlers take kayfabe seriously then? Bret is worried about his legacy being tarnished by the loss or otherwise the way the title changed hands? (i assume his legacy isn't actually tarnished)

I'm not trying to troll just trying to understand the difference between like a movie script and a wrestling script since they're both fake to me.

I think the difference between an actor and a wrestler in this respect is that actors generally play different characters in every movie/show, whereas wrestlers (in general) are always playing the same character. Hans Gruber getting thrown off the building at the end of Die Hard didn't hurt Alan Rickman, because when he made his next movie he wasn't playing Hans Gruber anymore. Bret Hart losing on his way out of the WWF hurt him because he still had to play Bret "The Hitman" Hart when he went on to WCW.

Now you can certainly argue about how much losing hurt Bret (I'd say not nearly as much as Bret seemed to think), but it's not the same thing as an actor dying at the end of a movie.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Didn't they make up that achievement just for HBK anyway?

More or less. The European title had only been been around about six months, and Bulldog was the only one to hold it, so it's not like there were many opportunities for other people to get the grand slam before Shawn.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

nasboat posted:

I knew that the Flair/Hogan house show run (which I believe was on the west coast in early '92, correct?) was underwhelming and the reason that they chose to switch up behind the scenes, but I saw some thing recently that made me think I had forgotten something about it. I was watching the 'Story of Wrestlemania' documentary, which was generally very truthful and frank about things (and even mentioned that the test runs of Flair/Hogan were underwhelming when discussing WM8), but they showed a clip of some press conference with Hogan, Savage, Flair and Sid all up at a podium, and they announced that Hogan was getting a title shot at WM. The rest were angry, Sid in particular. Then they showed the TV clips when they announced they were switching and making it a 'double main event' a few weeks later.

Do you remember that press conference and if they ever actually announced Flair/Hogan for WM8? Because that's how I took that clip. Seemed to be sometime after RR '92.

Yes, they announced at that press conference that it would be Hogan vs. Flair at Wrestlemania and then they changed it a few weeks later, but that was all part of the angle. They already knew when they shot that press conference that they were going to change it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

What was the first time someone was put through the announcers' table?

I had a VHS of some matches from the 50s where someone went through the announce table. It definitely wasn't common then, but tracking down the first is probably going to be difficult.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure Matt Striker isn't the only special ed teacher in pro wrestling, but I can't remember who I'm thinking of...maybe a MMA fighter.

Yeah, I don't think there is really anything unique about the fact that he was a teacher. If I'm remembering right, the reason his teaching job became well-known was because prior to signing with WWE he got in trouble with his school for using sick days to go work indy shows. I remember him getting mainstream news attention for it at the time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

One of the botchamanias shows a diva royal rumble(?) where the finish had a girl scripted to take a clothesline over the top rope and land on the apron, but she missed and eliminated herself.

Along these same lines, was Randy Savage eliminating himself (and then being let back in) in the '92 Rumble a botch? I was pretty confused by that as a kid, and when I rewatched it a few months ago I realized that it seemed a lot like a legitimate botch.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah, this wasn't in the movie. Thanks for the clarification. What about HHH and Michaels? Was it really a surprise to them? I believed them in the movie.

They both have long since admitted to being in on it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They even had another opening with a different theme song at the beginning of the second hour for a while.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

There are no legal requirements for what you can or can't say or show on cable, but the network and their advertisers have their own rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

Look at all the damage the PTC caused in the late '90s from what the WWF was doing with SmackDown (the only show they complained about, oddly enough)

I believe the PTC only cared about broadcast TV, not cable. I don't know why that is, but it explains why SmackDown was the only wrestling show they went after.