Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It seems to depend. A lot of times the vet calls, but there are variants. Like if the vet is a guy who knows he's in there with a younger but superior worker and the vet is really limited, he may let the younger guy call it (an example of this would be that Hulk Hogan not only let Jericho call their matches, but according to Chris, would ask what they were doing that night since Hogan knew Chris could make him look good, which is pretty plausible).

I know Ricky Steamboat has said that when he was in the NWA, the heel called it because the heel spends most of the match on control; he actually used that dynamic to explain why he felt Lex Luger was underrated, because he and Luger had a pretty well regarded match that Luger called because he was the heel.

Apparently, some guys are real assholes about insisting on calling, I've heard this about HHH more than once.

With Dean and Seth I'd think Dean would defer to Seth, since Seth seems extremely well regarded by his peers as a worker.

If anyone has any articles or interviews or podcasts or whatever about this kind of stuff, please share them, I find it absolutely fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

At Evolution, a few minutes after Becky tried to escape through the crowd, you could clearly hear a very angry woman shout "WHY DON'T YOU JUST RUN AWAY AGAIN, BECKY?"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The fact that Thanos' finisher is gonna get completely undone in the next film is the most hilariously WWE poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Nah the Guardians will probably stay melted

They're already making a third movie.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

They were, then Gunn got fired and the principal actors are backing out

Nobody backed out. Batista only said he'd leave if they didn't use Gunn's script.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does anyone have a sum-up or list of bad Wikipedia discussions for why they stopped listing wrestler’s moves? It’s been over a year I feel like and I still get annoyed when I check out a wrestler I just discovered and it’s not there, or if I’m trying to remember what wrestlers used to use

Please, if you're ever going to listen to anything I say, let it be this one time: do not look into this. Do not immerse yourself into Wikipedia rules and decision making. Don't do it, I beg of you. It is a living nightmare.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's a group and there was an easy consensus.

They literally told people who complained that just because something is useful and liked doesn't mean it's important.

Yeah, that sounds right.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

I don't remember any encyclopedias hitting me up for money every stinking time I opened them, so they only seem to have problems modernizing on some fronts.

The wild thing about this is that the Wikimedia Foundation is, by all accounts, absolutely flush with cash, and they continue to beg and plead as if they're on the verge of shutting down.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

also, just a small contribution to Wikipedia's weirdness about wrestling

Joey Janela doesn't have a wikipedia page

I wouldn't be surprised if someone created a Joey Janela article only for some dumbshit to say "BBBBBUT I DONT KNOW WHO THIS IS" and nominate it for speedy deletion.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No one actually cares about professional gaming, they only pretend to because they assume teens care. Also it's not a sport, stop letting them get away with calling it sports.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Actually that made me wonder, has that rule ever been brought up since then to hinder one of the wrestlers in a story line? Like they somehow get a rule passed that the high flyer can’t high fly for one match

Next week on Raw, Baron Corbin vs Jeff Hardy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cavauro posted:

which posters on here should be a tag team.

Me and my friend Gonzo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I could never take Jeff Jarrett seriously because his name sounded like a supporting character from Days of Thunder.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

What's the most low key entrance song in WWE history? I'd say either Viscera's song or the Nation of Domination theme

Don't post Low Ki's theme

Ciampa

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The NXT cage is the worst, it looks seven feet tall at most. You could probably just hop it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Roman Reigns def. Braun Strowman by disqualification (no clear thesis statement)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

Try to make a Mount Rushmore exclusively with wrestlers who aren't/weren't at some point pieces of poo poo. There's a challenge for ya

Unfair, even the regular Mount Rushmore isn't held to this standard.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Wrestlers might actually be too dumb to function, holy poo poo.

The NFL still locally blacks out games that aren't sellouts for this exact reason, blissfully unaware that you're just preventing potential fans from ever becoming fans in the first place. It's wild.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

Don't be obtuse. If you want to be a professional wrestling entertainer in the US, and make enough money to support a family and hopefully retire before your bones all shatter like dollar-store toys, there is exactly 1 buyer for that labor - WWE.

There are nearly infinite counterexamples to this

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

A lot of people take pay cuts when they join NXT because they figure the growth potential is so great. I'm pretty sure Kairi was making more in Stardom.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Your name is Le'veon Bell and you no-show every match you're booked for.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

the dude who horribly bombed the softest interview WWE could get him

What's this?

exploded mummy posted:

After a while it mostly stabilized and you had a dynamic where everyone would hate Roman for most of the match, but would still babyface pop for him during the finish, and would immediately go back to boos after the match.

Also during this entire time he was also the second biggest merch seller, so you had this incredibly bizarre dynamic of being the most hated and yet loved in a lot of demographics.

I have several friends whose kids are WWE fans and without exception they all love Roman. I've never asked but I always wonder what they think of all the boos he gets.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I have several friends whose kids are WWE fans and without exception they all love Roman. I've never asked but I always wonder what they think of all the boos he gets.

I asked my friend about this and hilariously her son (who is like 9) is too much of a smark to care. She got mad when Dean turned on Seth and he said, "Mom, they're just acting! They're still friends in real life!"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

And even like one of Becky Lynch's TheMan tweets lately was really "slut shamey" and no one cared because she's a hot act.

Cena was married at the time he had an affair with Mickie, or at least when it started. Not sure that's slut shaming so much as a very valid criticism.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Wrestling is kind of a mirror to the overall society though. It's not that wrestling fans were especially homophobic in 2003 - it's that Americans in general were especially homophobic in 2003. Bush won re-election in part because states had anti same sex marriage initiatives on the ballot, driving up turnout of his voters. It was a particularly gross time.

I tried to watch How I Met Your Mother recently and it was extremely grating how often they used "gay" an insult, and that show ended like five years ago.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Stan Kroenke's first name is Enos. He also sucks rear end.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tamina knows how to wrestle?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is there a thread for match recommendations? If not, I am looking for match recommendations to watch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brie a la mode. It's Brie with ice cream. It's gross.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Who do we figure is the physically strongest in the WWE women's roster? I mean strong like how Mark Henry is strong, not Ninja Warrior strong.

Rhea

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1830s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The world is made up of 7 billion independent humans who all like different things